[Report] Mohammad Rizwan is likely to replace Shaheen Shah Afridi as the captain of Pakistan cricket team before the T20 World Cup 2024

Would it be wise to appoint Mohammad Rizwan as captain for Pakistan's T20I squad in the World Cup?

• Total voters
this psl has again shown that only one of babar and Rizwan fit in a t20 top order. Babar has benefited from saim’s high strike rate and cameos from Haris at 3. Ditto Rizwan with Usman and Yasir.

Including babar and Rizwan in the Pakistan top 3 means the first ten overs will often not yield enough runs to win games.

Rizwan averages 28 with Sr 106 against Sri Lanka which is his worst against any team that he has played more then twice. But yes continue with your agenda. But according to you, you don't have ikes or dislike.
So what's your point? I literally didn't get what you're trying to say?

I'm saying rizwan won't function against Afghanistan, south Africa, NZ, Australia, India. But will function against minnows like Sri Lanka, bamgaldesh and maybe England since England is pretty down under the water recently?

So what's the point of showing me these stats? To convince me he also won't function against Sri Lanka?

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple thing. If Rizwan becomes a captain now, we are left with no choice but to play him as an opener and Pakistan is waiting for another disastrous tournament ahead.

Simple thing. If Rizwan becomes a captain now, we are left with no choice but to play him as an opener and Pakistan is waiting for another disastrous tournament ahead.

Let's not confuse formats. The last two World T20s weren't disastrous, we made the semi final and final respectively. Same in Asia cup, we beat India due to Rizwan's innings and made it to the final again. The ODI World Cup though was disastrous but Rizwan doesn't open in that format

So what's your point? I literally didn't get what you're trying to say?

I'm saying rizwan won't function against Afghanistan, south Africa, NZ, Australia, India. But will function against minnows like Sri Lanka, bamgaldesh and maybe England since England is pretty down under the water recently?

So what's the point of showing me these stats? To convince me he also won't function against Sri Lanka?
You said he's only bashed Sri Lanka. Once again your lie has been caught. If he's only bashed bashed Sri Lanka how comes hes got poor stats? Maybe instead of typing essays which means you don't know what you are saying hence forget what you have said.

A Rizwan fan who doesn't like Misbah... wow and the haters think we are all the same
I am not a rizwan fan. But I will defend him from unjust criticism. The fact is that no one comes close to him as a wk in Pakistan, but here you would think we have a million better options then hk.

You said he's only bashed Sri Lanka. Once again your lie has been caught. If he's only bashed bashed Sri Lanka how comes hes got poor stats? Maybe instead of typing essays which means you don't know what you are saying hence forget what you have said.
I was referring to the world cup.

I am not a rizwan fan. But I will defend him from unjust criticism. The fact is that no one comes close to him as a wk in Pakistan, but here you would think we have a million better options then hk.

I never advocate to throw him out.

Its his fans who insist he should play as opener only who are nonsensical.

They insist on him opening because him playing any other position will mean he gets thrown out

If that be so, then be it.

Pakistan cannot be ransom to demands of one person who insists that he is an opener.

And then bats for his own glory, oblivious to teams requirements.

If that be so, then be it.

Pakistan cannot be ransom to demands of one person who insists that he is an opener.

And then bats for his own glory, oblivious to teams requirements.
You can’t explain that to Rizwan fans

They are not Pakistan cricket fans. They support a team that is called Pakistan who’s opener is Rizwan

There's nobody else around as Shaheen wasn't the best choice while his performance went down with his pace and he's now trying to reinvent himself as a No 6 who can come out swinging from the hip.

With the rumors circulating that Rizwan will end up becoming the t20 captain for Pakistan, as well as given Shan's current form and performance in psl,
I wouldn't be suprised if Rizwan is handed all format captaincy in the near future, what positive changes do you think he'll make from here on out?

To put into perspective here are some of the features from babar's captaincy stint.

1) Babar and rizwan t20 opening pair established.

2) Bowling trio of Naseem shah, Shaheen afridi and haris Rauf established

3) Shadab and nawaz established as replacements to malik and hafeez as allrounders.

4) rizwan established as an all format wicketkeeper.

5) Potential upcoming youngsters from babar's stint include saud shakeel, Abdullah shafiq, amd a few promising bowlers such as abrar.

6) A focus on chasing over batting first as chasing 270 to 300 felt more in goal with babars thinking.

7) Fielding focus adopted an approach on stopping more boundaries.

8) More focus on fast bowling over spin, a stark difference from misbah's captaincy days where spin was preferred.

Atm Shaheen doesn’t deserve a spot in any format. Naseem, Wasim Jr, Zaman, Amir, Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Ali have all been bowling better. Then there is Ihsanullah in the wings too

Atm Shaheen doesn’t deserve a spot in any format. Naseem, Wasim Jr, Zaman, Amir, Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Ali have all been bowling better. Then there is Ihsanullah in the wings too
Yeah no, Shaheen is better than all of them. Plus he’s a better fielder and batter than all of them too.

The only realistic better bowler than Shaheen is Muhammad Amir.

My proposal for captaincy is very clear - Drop Masood from the squad with immediate effect and he should never be considered for selection again because he is just not good enough.

Reinstate Babar as Test captain and give Shaheen time until the T20 WC.

Pakistan has 15 T20Is leading up to the T20 WC + the T20 WC. These 15-20 T20Is are enough to see if Shaheen is capable of leading the team.

If he proved himself, he should also be appointed ODI captain in time for the ODI series in Australia in November.

If it doesn’t work out for him as captain, Babar should be reinstated as the white ball captain after the T20 World Cup.

My proposal for captaincy is very clear - Drop Masood from the squad with immediate effect and he should never be considered for selection again because he is just not good enough.

Pakistan has 15 T20Is leading up to the T20 WC + the T20 WC. These 15-20 T20Is are enough to see if Shaheen is capable of leading the team.

If he proved himself, he should also be appointed ODI captain in time for the ODI series in Australia in November.

If it doesn’t work out for him as captain, Babar should be reinstated as the white ball captain after the T20 World Cup.

The only snag in your little plan is that Babar is a very poor captain.

So if Shaheen doesn't work out, you are regressively going back to Babar based on a whim that he will suddenly be a transformed captain?

That Saim bowling move really put your head in a spin didn't it?

na babar doesnt know how to captain. He is terrible.

Rizwan is the best option.

Rizwan should have been captained instead of Afridi, however if reports are true I think its a good choice

Rizwan should have been captained instead of Afridi, however if reports are true I think its a good choice
Well, just to burst your bubble…the reports are not true.

Senior journalists are reporting that Shaheen is in contact with players like Imad (probably Amir too) to get their availability for Pakistan. Shaheen also being at the Quetta v IU match is also an indication that he is there as the Pakistan team captain. He is going to lead Pakistan in the World Cup 2024, he is also on the poster of ICC’s promotional poster for this World Cup.

Get used to it buddy, Shaheen will be our captain.

Only problem with Rizwan is his conduct. Is he professional enough?

I find some of his antics a bit cringe. I don't think he is the right fit.

The day shaheen wins a cup for his country, I'll concede.

Amir won a cup for his country 2x, in 2009 and in 2017, the only downside to Amir is that he sold his country is an ego head, Amir deserved the boot simply due to his inflated ego while selling his country.

But he has won cups for his country 2x, whereas shaheen has lost things for his country, shaheen is the main blame for 2021 t20 world cup loss against Australia, he's got belted 24/7 in the world cup, and BEFORE HIS FINGER INJURY, he got smashed by India and humiliated 24/7, in the asia cup, despite India constantly losing momentum via a rain affected game whereas Pakistan had collapsed, and Pakistani fans were begging for rain to save us that day, but Allah wanted the truth to be exposed.
Spot on, very good post and poster.

Amir was also a big game player, lived for the occasion. Both major finals he destroyed the batting line ups. Shaheen has all the talent there no doubt but seems to want to spend his career like the Windies player. Wasting away in T20 leagues where his highs are maybe 6-12 balls and then gets smashed the other 12.

As soon as a country starts to think T20 is real cricket, they're finished. Windies are the best example.

Even AFG has stopped giving a **** about T20s and trying very hard in ODIs and Tests. All these mind games vs batsmen tactics over 20, 30, 40 balls to outwit them you learn in Test matches.

I don't buy the "no money" excuse. After the Big 3, PCB earns the most, somewhere between $100-120 million. That's easily enough for top coaches and focus on Test matches. That is enough to pay for top coaches, improve grounds and invest in longer formats. But we know where that money goes.

As soon as a country starts to think T20 is real cricket, they're finished. Windies are the best example.

Even AFG has stopped giving a **** about T20s and trying very hard in ODIs and Tests. All these mind games vs batsmen tactics over 20, 30, 40 balls to outwit them you learn in Test matches.

I don't buy the "no money" excuse. After the Big 3, PCB earns the most, somewhere between $100-120 million. That's easily enough for top coaches and focus on Test matches. That is enough to pay for top coaches, improve grounds and invest in longer formats. But we know where that money goes.
Real cricket is that where fans are able to watch the whole game.

No one has the time to watch the whole Test or ODI game.

There is no point staying stuck on test and odi just because of beliefs.

T20 sells, earns money and plus fans get to enjoy the whole game. Its short and its perfect. Windies did not finish infact they survived due to T20 cricket. They would had been finished if Odi and test continued.

Afg focusses more on T20 cricket than any other cricket.

Shaheen is not suited to captaincy. Zaka Ashraf pretty much made Shaheen captain out of spite. The real reasons are well known as to why Rizwan was ignored for captaincy despite being the only logical choice.

Shaheen’s bowling will suffer and we cannot afford that going into a major tournament.

Back