Sohail Tanvir to lead junior selection committee

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Member of the 2009 T20 World Cup wining squad and former Pakistan cricketer Sohail Tanvir has been appointed as head of the junior selection committee. Sohail made his international debut in 2007 and made two Test, 62 ODI and 57 T20I appearances for Pakistan. He picked up 130 wickets and scored 612 runs across the three formats.

Sohail’s first assignment as chairperson of the junior selection committee will be the selection of the Pakistan U19 squad for the 2023 ACC U19 Asia Cup scheduled to be held between 8 and 17 December in UAE. Pakistan U19 will later take part in the ICC U19 World Cup from 13 January to 4 February in Sri Lanka.

Sohail Tanvir said: “I am truly honoured and grateful for the opportunity provided by Chairman PCB Management Committee Mr Zaka Ashraf to serve as head of the junior selection committee. Being appointed chairman of this committee is a huge responsibility and I am looking forward to this exciting challenge.

“I believe in the potential of our young talent and we collaboratively aim to build a pathway for success from the grassroots to the international level. Our first task will be selection of the U19 squad for upcoming ACC U19 Asia Cup, as we prepare to build a strong team to compete in the ICC U19 World Cup later next year.”

How do you see this decision from PCB?

IMG-20231117-WA0056.jpg

I don't understand the basis on which PCB made this decision. We needed someone for the Junior Selection Committee who has played at least 70-80 test matches. I am not happy with this decision.

Didn't this guy waste Hammad Azam in domestic cricket during his prime by constantly promoting himself up the order and keeping Hammad Azam at number 8-9?

What is the prerequisite for being offered this role?

What is the prerequisite for being offered this role?

Being a former player who is a recognizable name.

It's not like the current PCB chairman is a chairman based on his qualifications. He is a puppet hired for political reasons and the approach is now trickling down to levels below.

Zak’s on a roll. His job is to not hire or appoint anyone but he is doing the complete opposite for what he was assigned to.

All these assignments will be shown the exit door in 3 months from now along with Zaka lol.

Didn't this guy waste Hammad Azam in domestic cricket during his prime by constantly promoting himself up the order and keeping Hammad Azam at number 8-9?
Yes very true , he and Misbah made sure Umar Amin and Hammad Azam don’t get chance regularly been thrown here and there.

He is big time Afridi guy. There is no way he would have been appointed without a push from Afridi.
This whole new setup is politicized. Sequence of events.

1. Afirdi bashed Zaka Ashraf on Live TV in his program.
2. Within days he was invited to meet current PM Kakar
3. Right after that meeting he went to meet Zaka (PPP) guy.
4. Hafeez is Zaka guy (now Director of Cricket)
5. Chief Selector Wahab (PML-N)
6. Afridi closet (N-league) supporter...
7. Sohail Tanvir ( Big time Afridi's punter)

So it's clear this is all mukmuka. Afridi is fully involved in this whole new setup .

Newly appointed chairperson of the junior selection committee Sohail Tanvir stated that he aims to bring out the best talent of Pakistan to make a formidable squad for the U19 World Cup 2024.

“After assuming the role of chief selector, I checked the records of all players and invited them to the camp to observe them,” said Sohail Tanvir.

“My aim is to find the best players from our domestic cricket and make the best possible squad for the U19 World Cup.”

He also said that producing players for the future is more important than winning trophies in junior cricket.

“Every team wants to win, but at junior [age-group] level, bringing out the best talent is the first priority than winning trophies,”

“I have told players to play with a fearless approach and adapt to the requirements of modern-day cricket.”

A-Sports

Sohail Tanvir has been appointed as Chief Selector for Junior teams but playing for Premium Paks in the ongoing American Premier League in the USA.

Is there a potential issue with a current Chief Selector still playing cricket, a conflict of interest?​

PCB is just blindly appointing recent players thinking that they know how modern cricket should be played. Do they even conduct an interview and ask what's the candidate vision or plan for the role?
Get guys who have a deep knowledge of the game and have a vision.

Back