Sonny Bill Williams: Islam brings me happiness

lilFlip

First Class Star
Runs
What an inspiring story :)

It was in the cave of Hira that the prophet Muhammad received the first revelation of the Quran. For rugby's original wild child Sonny Bill Williams, meeting a Tunisian family who lived with their five children in a one-bedroom flat in the south of France proved pivotal to his conversion to Islam.

Sonny Bill Williams: Islam brings me happiness

It was in the cave of Hira that the prophet Muhammad received the first revelation of the Quran. For rugby's original wild child Sonny Bill Williams, meeting a Tunisian family who lived with their five children in a one-bedroom flat in the south of France proved pivotal to his conversion to Islam.
The New Zealander's unshakeable belief in the Almighty has proved to be the making of one of the island nation's most gifted -- and controversial -- sports stars.
"I was real close with them, and I saw how happy and content they were. And to see how they lived their lives, it was just simple," Sonny Bill Williams, a prodigious rugby talent, professional boxer and tattooed poster boy, tells CNN's Human to Hero series.
"One thing I've learned over my career is that simplicity is the key. On the field, off as well."
"I've become a true Muslim," added Williams. "It's giving me happiness. It's made me become content as a man, and helped me to grow. I've just got faith in it and it has definitely helped me become the man I am today."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/27/sport/sonny-bill-williams-rugby-new-zealand/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bill_Williams#Personal_life

Same for me, my life without islam would be void. You feel inner peace in your heart while reading the Quran in a soundless room.

Must say Islam has changed him for the better, he was quite reckless early on but has matured nicely into a model human being.

As long as it makes him happy I'm all for it.

‘Islam has made me the man I am today’

New Zealand’s Sonny Bill Williams reflects on his return to rugby league after a successful spell playing union, where he won the World Cup with the All Blacks.

He says Islam is important to him, adding that he “wouldn’t be half the man I am today without my faith”.

New Zealand are looking to retain the title they won in 2008, with Williams seeking to become the first player to win a World Cup in both codes of the game

This is really very old (pre 2012 RLWC).

True athlete in every sense of the word; dominated rugby league, went to rugby union and dominated that too, and then came back to rugby league and dragged a team with the wooden spoon to premiers.

Can't really ever forgive him for the way he left the Bulldogs but insanely talented player.

What about the Tattoos on his arms. Isn't that against Islam?

article-2613808-1D5F2B2C00000578-405_634x719.jpg

How dreadfully superficial you are. No wonder there is so much racism in the word. Do you judge people by their skin ? Disgusting in this day and age.

It's whats on the inside that counts.

He had them before he converted and it's part of his cultural identity, not sure on Islamic ruling re: that. Incredible athlete and his conversion seems to have made him a much more grounded and disciplined person.

If you adhere to the good values which compose 99% of all religions i guess, then they are all pretty decent and beneficial. Things only get weird when it becomes a matter of competition. Gotta just stick to one with open consciousness and be secure in it.

New Zealand rugby deal with such matters in a mature and sensible way.

Bank logos a no-go for Muslim rugby star Sonny Bill Williams

New Zealand rugby star Sonny Bill Williams will be allowed to wear Super Rugby or All Blacks jerseys from which bank logos have been removed because he believes the practices of financial organisations charging interest on loans conflict with his Islamic faith.

Williams has a “conscientious objection” clause in his contract with New Zealand Rugby which allows him to refuse to undertake promotional activities for banks.

A similar clause has been included in the contracts of other New Zealand rugby players, allowing them to refuse, according to their conscience, to wear the sponsorship logos of companies which promote alcohol, tobacco or gambling.

Williams, who converted to Islam around eight years ago, made his first Super Rugby appearance of the season last weekend for the Auckland-based Blues and caused media speculation when he used medical tape to cover the logos of team sponsor the Bank of New Zealand.

New Zealand Rugby subsequently announced that Williams had invoked a conscientious objection clause in his contract but failed to indicate the nature of his objection.

In a statement yesterday, Williams said he was acting in accordance with his understanding of Islam which did not permit the charging of interest on loans. Williams has also objected to wearing the logos of Super Rugby sponsor Investec, a global financial organisation. He continues to wear the logo of the Blues’ major naming sponsor NIB, an investment group, and has not objected to playing at stadiums which have banks as naming rights sponsors.

Williams said he had “nothing personal” against the sponsors he refuses to promote. “My objection to wearing clothing that markets banks, alcohol and gambling companies is central to my religious beliefs,” Williams said. “As I learn more and develop a better understanding of my faith I am no longer comfortable doing things I used to do.”

Williams failed to explain why he had worn jerseys including the banking logos in training and during promotional activities throughout the current season, including in the past week. He also did not explain why he will continue to sport the logos of insurance companies and financial institutions, including the All Blacks major sponsors AIG, which also charge interest on loans.

Williams is one of New Zealand’s highest-paid players.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/bank-logos-a-no-go-for-muslim-rugby-star-sonny-bill-williams-1-4418467

Last edited:
To be fair, SA accommodated Amla too. This guy is an incredible player too, which helps.

All Blacks and Muslim convert Sonny Bill Williams goes to Saudi Arabia for Umrah

Muslim convert Sonny Bill Williams travels to Saudi Arabia to visit Prophet Muhammad's grave at a historic Islamic mosque ahead of the footy star's pilgrimage to Mecca

Muslim convert Sonny Bill Williams has travelled to a historic Islamic mosque in Saudi Arabia as he prepares for his pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca.

The 32-year-old rugby union star, who converted to Islam in 2009, was led by a Sheikh through Al-Masjid an-Nabawi, also known as the Mosque of the Prophet.

The place of worship, in the city Medina, is one of the holiest sites in Islam and the place of burial for Prophet Muhammad.

Footage posted to social media shows Williams being led into an Islamic prayer by Sheikh Kamal Abu Mariam as they stand beside the grave.

'What an amazing feeling visiting the prophets(as) holy masjid [mosque] in Madinah,' he later wrote on Instagram.

'Thanks to the Shiek's for their insightful knowledge today,' he said in another post.

According to the video's caption, Williams will soon perform umrah - a pilgrimage to Mecca which can be undertaken at any time of the year, unlike the Hajj.

'Dr. Sheikh Kamal Abu Mariam with one of our favourite NRL players Sonny Bill Williams at Masjid Al-Nabawi and soon to perform umrah,' the caption reads.

'May Allah accept from them both... Williams recently reverted to Islam... by the will of Allah.'

The cross-code superstar recently spoke to MailOnline about his faith.

'I'm a proud Muslim. It's given me a feeling of happiness and contentment I've always looked for. I see it as a responsibility,' he said.

'Before I became a Muslim, I lived up in a flash house in Toulon and would worry about where the pair of boots I'd ordered were or some rubbish like that.

'Then I met a Tunisian family living in a one-bedroom apartment in the projects. They didn't have much but they always had me round for breakfast and never asked for anything back.

'They always asked Allah for guidance and it really struck a chord.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ll-Williams-Saudi-Arabia-historic-mosque.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Masha Allah. May Allah allow all of us to become muslim and die as muslim. Ameen.

Good on Kiwis to have an open society and not giving the man a hard time for conversion.

Certainly Islam is the torch holder for human rights, spirituality, success and optimism. It removes the fear of death from the heart of a believer. Problem is that today Muslim's don't like self criticism when historically it is what once made the Muslim community so great and an example to the world. Today we are more worried about shaking hands with the opposite gender then forming a successful community:facepalm:.

Last edited:
Certainly Islam is the torch holder for human rights, spirituality, success and optimism. It removes the fear of death from the heart of a believer. Problem is that today Muslim's don't like self criticism when historically it is what once made the Muslim community so great and an example to the world. Today we are more worried about shaking hands with the opposite gender then forming a successful community:facepalm:.

What does Islam say about Gays, Apostates and women liberation?

I think you`re mixing up what Islam says, and what Muslims do. Islam does not say to kill gays and suppress women, but that is what many Muslims do. Too many times Islam is judged off of how Muslims act, and not what is actually said in the Quran, and that is why it is important for us Muslims to be good role models, because lets face it, there are many people out there looking to tarnish our religion whenever they can.

Any person who is getting homosexual feelings is asked to supress it because the faith doesnt consider it good for the individual as well as the society at large. Just like people are asked to supress their urges which can lead to adultery, infidelity in marriage etc. Personally i feel that this is the correct approach because just look at the debates today, people are saying that there are 70 genders, there are schools in US who are teaching Gay history to kids (not straight history or any other history). We cant be naive and think that this kind of propaganda wont shape the children's feeble mind and push them in a direction which they wouldnt have taken otherwise. We have transgenders who undergo removal of their own body parts because they "think" they belong to the other gender. If my neighbour tells me thaf he wants to sever his arm because he feels like being arm less, i know what my reaction would be.

Apostasy law is over rated and exaggerated. It was hardly ever (never??) applied in the muslim world. I remember the example of a famous poet in the middle ages in the middle east who was one of the staunchest critics of Islam. He lived all his days in the muslim world and muslims even praised his poems. Similarly, Ibn Sina (Avecenna) who is considered one of the greatest scientists and innovators of the middle ages criticised the practices of muslims many a times. The aim of apostasy law was to prevent hypocrites and liars from entering Islam for personal gains and then leaving it as per convenience. It wasnt meant to kill or maim and hardly ever lead to any such acts by the rulers as is evidenced by history. And it was not a simple clear cut case of catch and kill ever. It was a long and ardous process (procedurally speaking because it was hardly ever put into practice) which made it complicated to be put into practice. The law worked for a long time effectively. But Many scholars today hold the view that if the law repels people from Islam, then it is obviously not serving in favour of the faith and can be ignored completely.

Idk what parts of the faith you consider as anti-liberation of women. Perhaps the obsession with how to dress is coming in to play here? Thats not everything and seems to be the chief point which non-muslims use against Islam's position on women. The Islamic faith came as a liberator and protector of women. No religion in the history of religions gave women the rights and protection which Islam gave. It gave women a status equal to men in eyes of God, however the roles were considered different.

Perhaps some people can answer these questions better than me.

No gays, apostates are okay providing they do not go on and insult Islam and it's Prophet etc. Islam has always been in favour of women's liberation however it depends on what "liberation" means to you. For example if you are talking about scantly dressed ladies or lesbianism then no it is disallowed. Just because Islam disagree's it does not mean it calls for killing that person.

It is 6am at a London hotel and Sonny Bill Williams has just completed the dawn Fajr prayer and is sitting on his mat.

"When I hold my hands up afterwards, I am asking: 'Ya Allah, please guide me. Keep me strong. Help me become a better person. Help me become a better man,'" he says.

"'I know I have my frailties, but strengthen me. Forgive me for my sins. Ya Allah, bless my close ones and those around me. Keep them safe, especially the children. Keep us where our feet are and grateful for what we have.'"

It is 10 years since Williams became a Muslim while playing for Toulon in France after a period in his life where he was "wild and at the other end of the spectrum" to where he is now.

Super League newcomers Toronto Wolfpack's marquee signing seems content with his life, in a happy place having returned to rugby league after five years in rugby union.

The North American side's general manager reels off Williams' accomplishments across four disciplines: two World Cups in rugby union with New Zealand; playing rugby sevens at the 2016 Olympics; winning multiple National Rugby League (NRL) titles in rugby league; and winning New Zealand's heavyweight boxing title.

The 34-year-old spends half an hour fielding questions during an introductory news conference at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium, greeting journalists in English, Arabic and Samoan, talking about "humility" having become the highest-earning player in the history of either code, and "earning the respect" of his team-mates.

"Alhamdulillah (thanking God) means everything," he tells BBC Sport. "Drinking a glass of water - Alhamdulillah. Having an opportunity to speak to you - Alhamdulillah. Seeing my wife and kids - Alhamdulillah. I always have my creator in the front of my mind.

"Sometimes I keep my head down on the ground in sujood (prostration) because I know Jesus, Moses and the Prophet Muhammad were in that position.

"Look, I chased girls. I drank alcohol, spent lavishly and thought I was someone that I wasn't. I lived that life and, in my experience, what did it give me? Hollowness and emptiness in my heart."

Williams, who met his team-mates for the first time on Wednesday in Manchester, adds: "It took a few years for the process, but I found Allah, I found Islam and it really allowed me to turn the wildness in myself into positivity.

"With the way that I have driven as a sportsman to succeed, those two together have allowed me to reach where I am today."

Williams says there is no feeling like the "genuine love" of a fellow elite sportsman who is also Muslim. Fiorentina winger Franck Ribery is someone he "keeps in contact with on social media", while he is "quite close" to former South Africa batsman and captain Hashim Amla.

"In today's society it is no secret that a lot of us Muslims have been forced to almost be embarrassed to be Muslim.

"For me, I am so proud to be a Muslim - the honesty that it has, what it stands for and what it can give. When I see other sportsmen who are out there and proud, wow it is such a beautiful thing."

In March, an attack by a gunman at a mosque in Christchurch saw 51 people killed and Williams shared a tearful message on social media in which he expressed his "deep sadness" and hoped those who died "went to paradise".

A week after the shootings, Williams visited the city and met members of the community as an act of solidarity.

"Being one of the most high-profile Muslims in New Zealand and playing for the national team, the All Blacks, at the time, I knew that it was my duty," he says.

"I am a pretty shy guy but I had to step up, and I knew I had to be vulnerable in that space. I stepped up and represented not just the Muslim community that was hurting, but also the New Zealand community.

"I thought that if I could step into that space, a difficult one to navigate through at the time, and just preach the positivity - but also tell them it is real, it hurts but what can we do to move forward in a better way?

"As New Zealanders, we have done that and are leading in that space - and I am proud to say I was a part of that."

As he approaches the latest test of his distinguished career, almost 9,000 miles away from home, how does Williams feel about the move and how would he like to be remembered?

"I was really humbled and grateful for the opportunity. It is a really exciting opportunity for myself as a sportsman. Yes, there is a lot of pressure but what better way for a sportsman to try achieving something in this arena?

"'Legacy' is not a word that I like. I am just a guy out there who has done his best, who was real, kept it authentic, but liked to take on challenges."

Last year, Williams performed the minor Umrah pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, describing the trip as an "awesome experience".

He says: "Mecca is so special, seeing the Kaaba for the first time and then experiencing the serenity and calmness of Medina.

"Yes, I am a Kiwi, a New Zealander, Samoan - but a human being. That is what Islam offers. It is there for all of mankind. I prayed next to an African brother, an Asian, a European, a Middle Eastern, from all walks of life.

"You are in your robes so there are no levels of society, everyone is equal, that is probably the biggest thing."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/50406738

No gays, apostates are okay providing they do not go on and insult Islam and it's Prophet etc. Islam has always been in favour of women's liberation however it depends on what "liberation" means to you. For example if you are talking about scantly dressed ladies or lesbianism then no it is disallowed. Just because Islam disagree's it does not mean it calls for killing that person.

Stop lying man.
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/10050/why-does-islam-forbid-lesbianism-and-homosexuality

So what you are saying is that if someone insults prophet, you kill him? Someone insults Islam you kill him? :facepalm:

Scantly dressed women are allowed in Islam? I guess Islamic nations like Sauid Arabia, Qatar, Iran are all stupid to enforce dress code and force women to wear hijab. :facepalm:

I can post verse from Quran which instructs women to wear head covering.

Stop lying man.
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/10050/why-does-islam-forbid-lesbianism-and-homosexuality

So what you are saying is that if someone insults prophet, you kill him? Someone insults Islam you kill him? :facepalm:

Scantly dressed women are allowed in Islam? I guess Islamic nations like Sauid Arabia, Qatar, Iran are all stupid to enforce dress code and force women to wear hijab. :facepalm:

I can post verse from Quran which instructs women to wear head covering.

Where did I say anything about murdering people rather have done so the complete opposite. You are seeing things! Nudity is disallowed in Islam for sure no doubt about it yet many Muslim ladies do expose themselves, leave that for Allah to decide. If there was a truly Islamic country on earth they would rightfully be punished. Head can be covered by a dupatta as well, doesn't have to be Arab attire. Not every form of disobedience is punishable by death.

One of the leading role models for reverts as well as born and raised Muslims, for a few years now. Allah humma barik!!

Back