South Africa (115/7) win a thrilling encounter against Nepal (114/7) by 1 run in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Your heart is beaten for pakistan bro .
Hell no 😂😂. The day I started watching in 2010 o choose Australia as a main.

I did support Pakistan during sarfi era but even then they weren't my fav, they were my 3rd favourite at that time though.

How can you expect me to support a team that doesn't even support themselves? With a coward captain at the helm?

It's whybim suprised you boys support India with such passion given the dravid drama

Started watching the game only from the 10th over of Nepal's batting, pleasantly surprised by the proceedings so far.

Hell no 😂😂. The day I started watching in 2010 o choose Australia as a main.

I did support Pakistan during sarfi era but even then they weren't my fav, they were my 3rd favourite at that time though.

How can you expect me to support a team that doesn't even support themselves? With a coward captain at the helm?

It's whybim suprised you boys support India with such passion given the dravid drama
I never care about any individual rather than india.

Virat is my all favourite still want to dropped him for jaiswal .

If somehow Nepal can finish off this chase successfully, will surely spice up the importance of their match against BD even more (the winner of it will qualify for Group 1).

It looks tougher with each ball but "Come on, Nepal!"

If somehow Nepal can finish off this chase successfully, will surely spice up the importance of their match against BD even more (the winner of it will qualify for Group 1).

It looks tougher with each ball but "Come on, Nepal!"
Yea. they froze under pressure.

SA is actually winning close games this time. Lets see if they have actually gotten better under pressure, against good teams

To hit that six in against one of the fastest bowlers in the world in such a high pressure situation when you've just come to the crease.

Incredible.

C'mon Nepal!

2 teams that make the world cup Interesting.

Pakistan and South Africa.

Not sure why they didn’t run the bye on the second last ball.
Yea.. lack of game awareness. Winning clutch moments is where minnows struggle. I remember Bangladesh needed 3 runs in 3 balls with two set batsmen. Mahamdullah and Rahim. They lost 3 wickets in next 3 ballss lost by 1 run lol

Unbelievable match with a photo finish. Feel for Nepal but I think they lacked game awareness at certain key moments. Full props to them though for an incredible performance and making South Africa look like a bunch of amateurs for most of this match. So close yet so far away! South Africa beyond lucky to survive

Nepal has the talent. But they need to understand how to win matches by winning clutch moments. They should have targeted winning the match in 19th over.

Unbelievable match with a photo finish. Feel for Nepal but I think they lacked game awareness at certain key moments. Full props to them though for an incredible performance and making South Africa look like a bunch of amateurs for most of this match. So close yet so far away! South Africa beyond lucky to survive
The never ran when SA dropped a couple of catches, so many missed singles!

Caught the last 3 overs. Should tune into more SA matches, gonna be fun lol.

Inexperienced minnow moment at the end, but they also did well and didn't freeze in those dying moments. So nothing I guess for them to really complain in a pointless match.

Caught the last 3 overs. Should tune into more SA matches, gonna be fun lol.

Inexperienced minnow moment at the end, but they also did well and didn't freeze in those dying moments. So nothing I guess for them to really complain in a pointless match.
This is not a pointless match for Nepal though. Their chances would still be alive had they won it.

This is not a pointless match for Nepal though. Their chances would still be alive had they won it.
Absolutely. Instead of pressure free game it would have turned into KO match and I can easily see Shanto and co succumbing under pressure.

Anyway you have to learn these things the hard way. Then only you will improve. Nepal next time will try to get better. With this kind of approach they will get canned in the 2nd round.

Nepal could have created history here but the brainfade made them lose this last-ball thriller.

UKjkfOQ.png

Lowest targets successfully defended in Men’s T20 WC

114 - SA vs BAN, New York, 2024
116 - SA vs NEP, Kingstown, 2024
120 - SL vs NZ, Chattogram, 2014
120 - IND vs PAK, New York, 2024
124 - AFG vs WI, Nagpur, 2016

Despair for Nepal as South Africa remain unbeaten with final-ball triumph

Heinrich Klaasen pulled off a run out from the final delivery to help South Africa remain unbeaten at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup and knock Nepal out of contention for a spot in the Super Eights with a thrilling one-run triumph over the Asian side in St Vincent on Friday.

Nepal needed two runs for victory from the final ball to keep their hopes alive of reaching the Super Eights and Klaasen kept his cool to run out Gulsan Jha at the non-strikers end as the match appeared headed to a Super Over.

It was a cruel way to finish for Nepal, who were the better side for much of the thrilling contest as their spinners dominated with the ball to reduce South Africa to 115/7 and their top-order looked in control in reply when they reached 85/2 in the 14th over and the required rate well within reach.

But South Africa spinner Tabraiz Shamsi (4/19) turned the game the Proteas' way and pace duo Anrich Nortje (1/27) and Ottneil Baartman (0/20) held their nerve when bowling the final two overs as South Africa held on to deny Nepal their first ever international victory over a full ICC member side.

South Africa will need to improve during the next phase of the tournament if they want to match it with the competition heavyweights as they were well below their best for much of the Nepal match.

Opener Reeza Hendricks (43) was their only player to spend a lengthy time in the middle, while Tristan Stubbs (27* off 18 balls) was their sole batter to finish with a strike rate in excess of 100 as Nepal's spinners dominated as the Proteas posted a total barely over 100.

Kushal Bhurtel (4/19) and Dipendra Singh Airee (3/21) shared seven wickets between them and Nepal's chase appeared well in control until Shamsi's late spell left eight runs required from the final over.

Gulsan found the boundary from the third ball of the final over, but Klaasen came up with the game winning play at the end to allow South Africa to prevail.

ICC

Rohit Paudel (Nepal Captain) post-match Press Conference - 14th June 2024
[Reporter:]

So close to what would have been an absolutely incredible victory. What are the feelings right now?

[Rohit Paudel:]

I am very proud of the unit, especially the way they played today. The way we bowled in the first inning and the way we batted. Especially in the last few moments where we could have capitalized on our side, but it went their way. So yeah.

You must have been, you yourself have said that you're really proud of the way your team has played this match. So much passion, so much support from the fans. Some traveling a very, very long distance to come in and support the team. What were the feelings like when you had such incredible support? And also, after restricting South Africa to 115, 16 then needed of the last two [overs], and two needed of the last two balls eventually?

We feel very grateful to them, especially the way they come and support us. We are very grateful to them. And yeah, just we wanted to give a gift to them today, but it didn't went our way. And I thought the moments where we could have done better by capitalizing those small moments. I think that moments went their way. And I think this exposure will help us in coming matches. And if we play regularly these tournaments and these type of games, I think it will work for us for next games.

Just a few things to, I mean, very, very close match. But for the last two matches, what we have seen is the team is struggling to catch the air ball. Is there something like a few high balls have been missed? And is there something like playing under lights? Is that a new experience for the team?

Yeah, I think I feel like because of humidity, too much sweat is there. So, because of that, maybe one of the reason may be that. And apart from that, maybe lights. But when we're playing professional cricket, we cannot give that excuse. But still, maybe those two reasons.

Notwithstanding the result, what do you think of your team's performance and what does that mean for cricket in Nepal?

I feel like the way we played today; it shows that we belong here. And the way we bowled, I think, and the way we batted also, I think we belong here. And this will give good confidence to us for the next game against Bangladesh.

Rohit, there was a chance to create history, we came very close, almost every Nepalese people had started celebrating. Can you explain the emotions in the last moment, last over, last ball in the dugout?

I didn't feel anything. I was just there in the moment. Everyone was excited, two runs were needed in two balls. T20 is a fast game. The game shifts with two good balls or even a boundary. So, I think being present is essential, especially in T20, because the momentum shifts a lot. So that's all there is to it, nothing more than that.

What do you think you missed today?

I think we missed nothing. We played good cricket but still we went on losing side. But overall, I think we played very well.

Rohit, hard luck, great match. You could have a good chance of qualifying if you won today and Bangladesh match would have been a knockout. But now, actually, what's actually going to play for against Bangladesh?

I think we are aware of that situation, especially if we won today's game, it would be a very clear knockout game for Bangladesh and our games. So, apart from that, I think the next game we'll play for pride. Especially, we wanted to beat a Test playing country. Eventually, it didn't happen today. So, we want to do that in the next game. So, the confidence which today we got, so we want to carry that.

This is not the first time we've lost a match by one-run, under your captaincy. In such conditions, don't you feel that we have lost the presence of mind? You didn't relay the message to the batters. Don't you feel that the way we are playing cricket, we are clueless in these conditions?

How can I pass the message in those situations? I wanted to pass the message but I couldn't do it in the middle of the ball, when we required 2 out of 2. But still, I think Gulshan did a good job. He has won us matches. He is a very good prospect for the Nepal team. He has been playing with us for the last 1.5 years. We need to believe in him. Some days our tactics do not work. So, I don't have to say anything else about this.

Rohit, how important was your wicket today? How costly was it today?

I think obviously as a batsman, I have a desire to contribute but that didn't happen. Losing a top order batsman is obviously costly. I think that's it.

My last question at least. At the final moment, two left handers had to face the fast bowler, when there were players who were better player of pace. Could the batting order have been better today?

Who else was there? I think There were two batsmen, Kusal Malla, Gulshan and Sompal. I think the batting order was perfect. If we had won the match, the batting order would raise no questions. But we landed on the wrong side. But still, I think as a unit we played very well and I am proud of it.

South Africa this time seems to be making all their struggles in the group stage (and one of their glory match against Sri Lanka). Maybe they will ease out and eventually win the cup (may lose one of their super 8 matches though - just to maintain law of average). I somehow feel that they may lift the cup this time (if they meet anybody else apart from Australia in finals) like they won the inaugaral champions trophey! (but they should definitely bat first)

Nepal made the same mistake NED did on this pitch.

This is a bat first pitch. Especially if you are the weaker side.

Markram reveals Proteas' straightforward strategy in Nepal nail-biter

Skipper Aiden Markram said that a 'simple middle-overs' plan helped South Africa to victory.

From a state where Nepal needed 31 runs from 39 balls with eight wickets in hand, South Africa managed to pull things back to secure a one-run win over the Asian side.

While Tabraiz Shamsi’s game-changing spell had a major impact in this turnaround, it was Ottneil Bartman’s 20th over that sealed South Africa’s win.

Markram revealed in the post-match conference that South Africa planned on keeping things simple, relying on a straightforward middle-overs plan to win the game.

“[We wanted] to keep it really simple. We thought if we were still hitting a hard length the odd one would shoot low and we could keep the stumps in play,” Markram revealed the thought process during Bartman’s over. “I didn't want us to go too full so that if we missed it became an easy hit.”

While Nepal batters tried to go for a big shot almost every ball, Bartman stuck to his good length, and used the odd short ball to surprise the batter.

“So sticking to that hard length, and using the short ball as we did to our advantage and just getting the timing right with bowling the short one as well worked.

“Pretty straightforward. I don't think it was necessarily a death plan. It was your simple middle-overs plan that we felt will work best on that pitch.”

Earlier, it was Shamsi’s 4/19 that swung the game Proteas way. His double strike in the 18th over, getting Dipendra Singh Airee (6) and Aasif Sheikh (42) derailed a set chase.

While Shamsi along with Markram accounted for five scalps, South Africa’s pacers had only one wicket.

Despite the lack of wickets from the fast bowlers in today's game, Markram had few concerns.

“I think they bowled well. I think once again we didn't give them the total they might have liked to defend. So, you do have to be really appreciative that they've kept us in the game and managed to get it down to the last over.”

“Our fast-bowling unit has been bowling really well in this competition and you want to back that and give them the freedom and let them sort of feel that they can win you games on any wicket really. So, I thought they bowled well tonight.”

Adding his praise for Shamsi’s exceptional performance, Markram said, “Shamsi was excellent. It's fantastic to have him back in the team to get an opportunity to get some time in the middle and to bowl the way he did.”

“From a bowling point of view, not too many concerns, but a lot of learning can take place in the other two facets, I feel.”

ICC

Nepal batsman batting looks similar to Indian batsmen. Those pick up shots, swivel shots.
Just watched the highlights and that's very true. There was one pickup shot that was reminiscent of Rohit Sharma.

Rohit Paudel hit 112 off 54 in a T20 vs West Indies A prior to this tournament in a successful chase of 204 so there's no mugs in that lineup.

However Nepal's fielding looked abject and contributed to their defeat.

Just watched the highlights and that's very true. There was one pickup shot that was reminiscent of Rohit Sharma.

Rohit Paudel hit 112 off 54 in a T20 vs West Indies A prior to this tournament in a successful chase of 204 so there's no mugs in that lineup.

However Nepal's fielding looked abject and contributed to their defeat.
Most of them couldn't put bat to ball if the ball was outside the off stump or when there was a bouncer. That's why they lost the game

Back