Squads announced for 2019/20 domestic season (Babar, Haris, Shan, Imad, Rizwan, Sarfaraz captains)

Balochistan

Imam Ul Haq
Imran Farhat
Haris Sohail C
Asif Zakir
Hussain Talat
Azeem Ghumman
Bismillah Khan WK
Ammad Butt
Yasir Shah
Khurram Shehzad
Taj Wali

Central Punjab

Ahmed Shehzad
Salman Butt
Azhar Ali
Babar Azam C
Usman Salahuddin
Umar Akmal
Kamran Akmal WK
Faheem Ashraf
Zafar Gohar
Hassan Ali
Naseem Shah

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Sahibzada Farhan
Fakhar Zaman
Israrullah
Nabi Gul
M Rizwan WK C
Iftikhar Ahmed
Kamran Ghulam
Zohaib Khan
Sameen Gul
M Ilyas
Imran Khan Sr

Northern

Ali Asad
Haider Ali
Umar Amin
Rohail Nazir WK
Asif Ali
Hammad Azam
Imad Wasim C
Shadab Khan
Haris Rauf
Shaheen Shah
Musa Khan

Sindh

Khurram Manzoor
Abid Ali
Asad Shafiq
Fawad Alam
Saad Ali
Saud Shakeel
Sarfraz Ahmed WK C
M Hasnain
Tabish Khan
Mir Hamza
Waleed Ahmed

South Punjab

Shan Masood C
Sami Aslam
Imran Rafiq
M Hafeez
Sohaib Maqsood
Saif Badar
Adnan Akmal WK
Wahab Riaz
M Irfan (SLA)
M Abbas
Rahat Ali

What's the link for the explanation of Rashid latif cant find anything on YouTube

So the guys on the PCB Central Contract will not be allowed to double dip and get a Provincial Central Contract as well?

Is that correct or fair?

One should watch the show Game on Hai why Rashid Latif is quality. He was explaining every pick. Couldn't do it for all teams because of lack of time

Weres the vidoe for this as I haven't seen anything on YouTube

The so called TTFs are the most dominant players at domestic level, why wouldn't they be selected?

I like that they went with young captains.

It will take a few seasons but hopefully this system will bear fruit.

So the guys on the PCB Central Contract will not be allowed to double dip and get a Provincial Central Contract as well?

Is that correct or fair?

C category is getting 5.5 lacs a month so it is fair :))

Nothing wrong with TTFs at the domestic level.

Several of these guys including Imran Farhat do exceptionally well as domestic players. For me, the starting point doesn't really matter, it's how the system progresses in the coming years that will define this change.

Excellent squads ! Good blend of youth and experience.

You know what I'm most pleased about ? Aside from Balochistan where obviously a bit of squad padding is needed (but still decent native presence), the majority of players are playing for their LOCAL regions.

It's not like the PSL where we have a farcical situation of Fakhar playing for Lahore, Sarfraz playing for Quetta, Babar and Amir playing for Karachi etc.

So now we have genuine regional rivalries which fans can invest in.

No Mohammad Asif?
They should at least let him play domestic

And also is it going to be broadcasted? If it is hope its good quality not 70s ptv camera

Balochistan

Imam Ul Haq
Imran Farhat
Haris Sohail C
Asif Zakir
Hussain Talat
Azeem Ghumman
Bismillah Khan WK
Ammad Butt
Yasir Shah
Khurram Shehzad
Taj Wali

Central Punjab

Ahmed Shehzad
Salman Butt
Azhar Ali
Babar Azam C
Usman Salahuddin
Umar Akmal
Kamran Akmal WK
Faheem Ashraf
Zafar Gohar
Hassan Ali
Naseem Shah

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Sahibzada Farhan
Fakhar Zaman
Israrullah
Nabi Gul
M Rizwan WK C
Iftikhar Ahmed
Kamran Ghulam
Zohaib Khan
Sameen Gul
M Ilyas
Imran Khan Sr

Northern

Ali Asad
Haider Ali
Umar Amin
Rohail Nazir WK
Asif Ali
Hammad Azam
Imad Wasim C
Shadab Khan
Haris Rauf
Shaheen Shah
Musa Khan

Sindh

Khurram Manzoor
Abid Ali
Asad Shafiq
Fawad Alam
Saad Ali
Saud Shakeel
Sarfraz Ahmed WK C
M Hasnain
Tabish Khan
Mir Hamza
Waleed Ahmed

South Punjab

Shan Masood C
Sami Aslam
Imran Rafiq
M Hafeez
Sohaib Maqsood
Saif Badar
Adnan Akmal WK
Wahab Riaz
M Irfan (SLA)
M Abbas
Rahat Ali

Yeah those first XIs seem good. Sindh have a formidable batting lineup as do Central Punjab. Northern seem weak batting wise, not sure how they're getting their runs but a handy bowling attack !

This is very exciting, for nearly 10 years here on PP I've been waiting for a FC system like this ! Finally these FC matches will be competitive and intense. This will properly filter out the Test ready talent !

Now for heaven's sakes PCB please produce balanced pitches.

Decent squads.

Considering the names in the second XI squads, it really should be a 4 day competition.

good squads, sindh and central punjab have really good batting line ups for domestic level. pleased to see kamran ghulam in the first xi for kp.

guess ill be supporting northern, bit light on batting tho tbh.

good squads, sindh and central punjab have really good batting line ups for domestic level. pleased to see kamran ghulam in the first xi for kp.

guess ill be supporting northern, bit light on batting tho tbh.

Northern has some top quality fast bowlers though.

Northern has some top quality fast bowlers though.

yep, shaheen, musa, tanno/sadaf would pbly be first choice, although with imad as captain it will pbly be a fight between nawaz, shadab and hammad for the fifth bowler / second all rounder slot.

Time will tell how this plays out but promising start.

In the short term we need to season to produce a quality spinner to support yasir and replacement for Sarfraz for the series against Sri Lanka, can one you point out who to be looking out for?

Excellent squads in my opinion.

Don't get why people are upset about TTFs being picked, they are only failures at international level. Imran Farhat is a top domestic performer, and deserves a spot. Also, the VCs all seem to be picked on the basis that certain players will leave the team on international duty, so the captain that fills in should not be in the national team.

Really good idea to make veterans like Sami 2nd XI captain too, and also great to see a lot of promising young talent I'm 1st XI squads.

We need good tv coverage, commentators and media hype to make this worthwhile.

Some very strong sides.

Northern has a very exciting bowling attack but very weak batting.

Sindh and Central Punjab have the strongest sides.

Imran Farhat is vice captain of Baluchistan team, let me repeat IMRAN FREAKING FARHAT has been made vice-captain by the PCB of one of the six "premier" domestic teams.

He is a guy who last played in 2013, that was 6 years ago, and is 37 years young. PCB in their infinite wisdom thought this guy is the right option for vice captaincy rather than a youngster who actually has a future.

Thats Misbah school of thought, he is encouraging people who will follow his footstep by sticking to Pakistan cricket without any purpose and blocking the youngsters. People like Khushdil Shah could not find a spot in any first eleven and this guy Farhat will be the vice captain of Bolchistan.

I also could not understand, what will these players give to future of Pakistan cricket by playing in QEA trophy and blocking a youngster's opportunity ?

1-Imran Farhat 2-Kamran Akmal, 3-Sohail Tanveer. 4-Salmat Butt 5-Mohammd Irfan 6-Bilawal Bhatti

Also does not make sense to give Sami and Aizaz Cheema and spot in playing eleven of 2nd eleven. Any youngster should have avail that chance.

Thats Misbah school of thought, he is encouraging people who will follow his footstep by sticking to Pakistan cricket without any purpose and blocking the youngsters. People like Khushdil Shah could not find a spot in any first eleven and this guy Farhat will be the vice captain of Bolchistan.

I also could not understand, what will these players give to future of Pakistan cricket by playing in QEA trophy and blocking a youngster's opportunity ?

1-Imran Farhat 2-Kamran Akmal, 3-Sohail Tanveer. 4-Salmat Butt 5-Mohammd Irfan 6-Bilawal Bhatti

Also does not make sense to give Sami and Aizaz Cheema and spot in playing eleven of 2nd eleven. Any youngster should have avail that chance.

Only Tanvir is an odd pick. Others are there on merit.

You're allowing international records and age to cloud your judgment.

Imran Farhat: Second highest run scorer last season
Kamran Akmal: 44.22 AVG
Salman Butt: 40.66 AVG
Mohammad Irfan: 9th highest wicket taker (24.64 AVG)
Bilawal Bhatti: 7th highest wicket taker last season (23.63 AVG)
Aizaz Cheema: highest wicket taker last season
Mohammad Sami: 14.58 AVG in 2018

You could even say Cheema was hard done by considering he's topped the charts in 2018 and 2019.

You could even say Cheema was hard done by considering he's topped the charts in 2018 and 2019.

Bowlers probably deserve less credit because of the erratic pitches they've dished out for last two seasons

Not like you guys actually know anything about domestic cricket before you give your knee-jerk reactions but for your information Imran Farhat led HBL to the QeA title last season and it was a season in which he was the second leading run-scorer at an average of 43.76.

Regardless of his failures on the international level he is a seasoned campaigner on the domestic circuit. From his nearly 20 year domestic career he has likely gained valuable insights that he can pass onto youngsters and he has has earned a place as VC and in the first XI by his performances. And doing well in domestic doesn't exactly mean he will get a test call-up either.

You can't just purge all the senior players just because they are international failures. Having teams full of youngsters would be absolutely idiotic because most have not found their way as complete cricketers.

This is my 7th year on PP, and my 20th year of following cricket with enough passion to end up arguing over it on a daily basis on the Internet. I think you are selling me and others short here by assuming that I (we) am not aware of his record in domestic cricket.

Why does domestic cricket exist? It doesn’t exist to give cricketers jobs; it exists to produce cricketers that could end up excelling at the international level.

That is why it was important to get rid of department cricket and reduce the number of teams. Previously, departments only cared about the performance of their teams and thus they were happy to pay international failures as long as they were doing the job for them.

However, playing for Punjab or Sindh or KP is not the same as playing for Habib Bank or Sui Gas or PIA. It shouldn’t be independent from your performance in international cricket, and if you are consistently failing for Pakistan and have a bleak future at the top level, your participation and selection for Punjab or Sindh should also be under the scanner.

Yes players like Imran Farhat and other TTFs will lose their job, too bad. But people lose their jobs in all industries when they are not good enough. Why should cricketers be exempted? Sports is a ruthless business - you have to perform or you are out.

The mentality that it is fine to allow 37 year old international failures (who will never play for Pakistan again) hog spots in domestic cricket as long as they are performing breeds mediocrity. You cannot build a high-performance culture with such attitude.

The 6 F/C teams should be reserved for players who have the chance of playing for Pakistan in the future, for the players who are currently playing for Pakistan (to maintain their form and fitness) and for the players who have been dropped but have a chance of making an international comeback.

Finally, what good are his “valuable insights” when they have not helped him forge a half-decent international career in spite of having a reasonable amount of natural talent. He is a terrible role-model for young Pakistani batsmen because no one should aim to be like him.

Getting rid of department cricket and cutting down the number of teams to 6 is a pointless exercise if the likes of Imran Farhat are still able to survive the system, let alone enjoy leadership roles.

Last edited:

Abolishment of department cricket and cutting down the number of teams to 6 should mean that your international credentials should have an impact on your selection. If not, it undermines the steps taken to intensify the competition.

No point of this exercise if the likes of Imran Farhat and Salman Butt still survive the system.

Abolishment of department cricket and cutting down the number of teams to 6 should mean that your international credentials should have an impact on your selection. If not, it undermines the steps taken to intensify the competition.

No point of this exercise if the likes of Imran Farhat and Salman Butt still survive the system.

These players are performing very well at the domestic level. This adds value to the tournament and allows younger players to grow in a competitive environment.

The reduction in teams was to remove leeches (i.e. below average players with horrible domestic stats).

Let's assume we go down this path and Farhat, Butt, Cheema, Sami, Kamran Akmal all get flushed out. Who are the replacements? Will these players do as well as the TTFs in the upcoming season?

In most cases, they will not.

This is why the system needs 1-3 years to naturally remove these players as others push their way up. If you take unnatural means to remove performing players from a system, it leaves huge gaps in quality.

Why, sami aslam is in north punjab and abid ali in sindh only non native player in team.

Excellent squads ! Good blend of youth and experience.

You know what I'm most pleased about ? Aside from Balochistan where obviously a bit of squad padding is needed (but still decent native presence), the majority of players are playing for their LOCAL regions.

It's not like the PSL where we have a farcical situation of Fakhar playing for Lahore, Sarfraz playing for Quetta, Babar and Amir playing for Karachi etc.

So now we have genuine regional rivalries which fans can invest in.
Still i can see some outsiders in balochistan sindh and northern 11s, i hope with time we will see at least 90% native players

As long as it is competitive and enhances talent, which was missing with 16 teams, over a few years it should come good.

There should be U23 tournament as well. Emerging players trophy

Future plan should be

There should be two 2nd XI of each province(overall 12 teams), to give many youngsters an opportunity then pick the best 6 teams.

South Africa had a very successful model, similar to this.

If you want to intensify the competition and make it more competitive, then you have to pick players on merit. The likes of Farhat and Kamran etc. deserve their places because they have been the top performers in domestic cricket in recent years.

If they stop performing then they'll be replaced because now there's a system in place that outlines a clear path for younger talent to emerge and ascend to the top.

You can't eliminate ttfs so that's fine with meer. More than the players I am concerned about the coaches. We need our legends and ex players to step up now. What is stopping the likes of miandad, zaheer Abbas and co to volunteer to be the head coach or batting coach of a regional side?

You can't eliminate ttfs so that's fine with meer. More than the players I am concerned about the coaches. We need our legends and ex players to step up now. What is stopping the likes of miandad, zaheer Abbas and co to volunteer to be the head coach or batting coach of a regional side?

PCB needs to create a system where everyone must go through a process. The likes of Misbah and Younis should be in coaching roles with these teams, they really shouldn't be in contention for the national team coaching role until they've coached FC cricket.

The idea is right. I won't look into the Farhat's of the team too much. Imo they are in their last legs and by giving no central contracts to Hafeez and Malik they gave the indication they aren't going to look TTFs as Pakistan's future. Imran Farhat's vice-captain selection has more to do with his experience rather than the next Captain.

This is my 7th year on PP, and my 20th year of following cricket with enough passion to end up arguing over it on a daily basis on the Internet. I think you are selling me and others short here by assuming that I (we) am not aware of his record in domestic cricket.

Why does domestic cricket exist? It doesn’t exist to give cricketers jobs; it exists to produce cricketers that could end up excelling at the international level.

That is why it was important to get rid of department cricket and reduce the number of teams. Previously, departments only cared about the performance of their teams and thus they were happy to pay international failures as long as they were doing the job for them.

However, playing for Punjab or Sindh or KP is not the same as playing for Habib Bank or Sui Gas or PIA. It shouldn’t be independent from your performance in international cricket, and if you are consistently failing for Pakistan and have a bleak future at the top level, your participation and selection for Punjab or Sindh should also be under the scanner.

Yes players like Imran Farhat and other TTFs will lose their job, too bad. But people lose their jobs in all industries when they are not good enough. Why should cricketers be exempted? Sports is a ruthless business - you have to perform or you are out.

The mentality that it is fine to allow 37 year old international failures (who will never play for Pakistan again) hog spots in domestic cricket as long as they are performing breeds mediocrity. You cannot build a high-performance culture with such attitude.

The 6 F/C teams should be reserved for players who have the chance of playing for Pakistan in the future, for the players who are currently playing for Pakistan (to maintain their form and fitness) and for the players who have been dropped but have a chance of making an international comeback.

Finally, what good are his “valuable insights” when they have not helped him forge a half-decent international career in spite of having a reasonable amount of natural talent. He is a terrible role-model for young Pakistani batsmen because no one should aim to be like him.

Getting rid of department cricket and cutting down the number of teams to 6 is a pointless exercise if the likes of Imran Farhat are still able to survive the system, let alone enjoy leadership roles.

I'm sorry but you can't boil of a guy's 20 year career into a footnote. Experience and insights do not always relate to success. Experience also teaches you about failures and other aspects of the game. Things you can only learn over time. The fact that he lacks ability also doesn't mean that he doesn't understand the game well.

And the notion that he should be out of a job just because he's 37 is ridiculous. a) He has almost always been a good domestic performer which means he has played the best bowlers in the country regularly and scored runs, and he is still scoring runs. Doesn't mean he should be in the test team but leading your side to the QeA trophy and being the second highest run-scorer counts for something. I could also name you a number of players from Australia to England to India who despite being international failures had successful domestic careers and played till their late 30s. Senior players are a small but integral part of domestic cricket. I'm not saying there should be alot of senior players but their presence helps younger players when they are confronted with situations they haven't experienced before.

6 FC teams with 6 Second XIs provides plenty of chances to youngsters. When the competition of cricket will improve the weak players will automatically single out and be replaced by younger, more deserving players. But that does not mean you fill every team with youngsters, there should be a balance.

Yes second XIs are actually more exciting and lots of new talent to look out for.

I'm happy Zeeshan Malik is in first eleven. He might be the next big name to debut. Also glad to see Saif Badar also in first eleven.

Zeeshan Malik is in the second 11

“Furthermore, it strategically integrates nicely with our revamped domestic structure where the six head coaches of the first-class sides will also be the selectors"

So then Mohammed Wasim and Kabir Khan are part of the selection committee

My observation in the list of squads, means that SARFRAZ will continue to captain in tests which is terrible.

This is great news. You can't just eliminate the oldies when they're still performing, this is domestic cricket not international. They'll fade out gradually, reach the point where they're no longer putting up the numbers.

I think it's especially great that these guys have become captains. For too long we've not groomed proper successors.

Cutting down the domestic teams is also great, makes it far more competitive. Yet having 2 divisions also allows cricketers to still play and to move up or down.

All in all it's great, I don't see why people are bashing it so much. It's such an improvement over the old system.

If I'm picking wrong profiles, do correct me. [MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION]

Asad Raza (Faisalabad) from central Punjab

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/1094579.html

I tried searching for his profile in the PCB, couldn't find anything on him that he played senior district matches

Atiq-ur-Rehman(Faisalabad) from central Punjab

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/1123968.html

Some odd picks
Ayaz Tasawar from Siakot, played for WAPDA
https://www.pcb.com.pk/averages-reports.php?action=team_averages&tournament_id=1154&match_type=&team_id=14885&match_type_id=10

https://www.pcb.com.pk/averages-reports.php?action=team_averages&tournament_id=1119&match_type=&team_id=14357&match_type_id=10
https://www.pcb.com.pk/averages-reports.php?action=team_averages&tournament_id=1086&match_type=&team_id=13876&match_type_id=10

His averages was 28.36 in 2018, 19 in 2017 and 28 in 2016. This was the state of our domestic cricket :)))

Last edited:
If I'm picking wrong profiles, do correct me. [MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION]

Asad Raza (Faisalabad) from central Punjab

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/1094579.html

I tried searching for his profile in the PCB, couldn't find anything on him that he played senior district matches

Atiq-ur-Rehman(Faisalabad) from central Punjab

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/1123968.html

Some odd picks
Ayaz Tasawar from Siakot, played for WAPDA
https://www.pcb.com.pk/averages-reports.php?action=team_averages&tournament_id=1154&match_type=&team_id=14885&match_type_id=10

https://www.pcb.com.pk/averages-reports.php?action=team_averages&tournament_id=1119&match_type=&team_id=14357&match_type_id=10
https://www.pcb.com.pk/averages-reports.php?action=team_averages&tournament_id=1086&match_type=&team_id=13876&match_type_id=10

His averages was 28.36 in 2018, 19 in 2017 and 28 in 2016. This was the state of our domestic cricket :)))

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?250745 Asad Raza is the same bowler being discussed in this thread, I think.

Atiq-ur-Rehman played for Faisalabad in the Grade 2 tournament earlier this year (under Misbah), he just played a few matches but played some important innings including a 67 in the final.

https://www.pcb.com.pk/quaideazam-trophy-gradeii-201819/match/32299.html

https://www.pcb.com.pk/quaideazam-trophy-gradeii-201819/match/32317.html

Ayaz Tasawar always seems to be in squads though I have rarely seen him perform.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

I read all your posts regarding the squad selection and I actually do agree some points as well. But, you have to understand that PCB has to start at some point and they have to introduce a performance based culture, so that in future this list gets filtered/upgraded.

Coming to the issue of Imran Farhat, that you mentioned - I actually don't agree with that at all. I understand your stand point, but there is a technical problem that I faced in my professional career. Let me explain, so that you could relate.

I worked for one of the largest MNC in South Asia (World actually), with a robust sales-distribution network. We had over 1000 Territory Officers, around 100 T Managers, ~20 Area Managers, 5 Regional Managers/Heads and then the Director Sales. In my capacity, I was a sort of Commercial Business Controller, with one core responsibility being evaluate the efficiency of MSC (Marketing, Sales & C Service) teams. Part of that job was to prepare a quarterly performance matrix of our Territory Officers ...

This is not annual performance appraisal (which was done by their respective TM, SM & RM), rather it was for the Human Resource Dept., being a neutral watch dog, keeping a track of "potential & vulnerable" field force. The idea is that, in my industry, sales volume was subject to drastic changes and you might have to hire/fire lower tier employees on a short notice. Not, necessarily that my report'll have any direct impact of the job (for TOs), but it was a sanity check for Management - who are those employees to be "sacked/removed" at first hit (quite heartless job to be honest).

Now, many of my TOs were into their 40s, 50s - may be B.Com or undergrad from a college at most, poor in English, hardly any potential to grow, and hardly maneuverable (can't shift them to other job). But, these guys were brilliant salesmen - they knew how to talk with retailers, they knew what product USP (Unique Sales Proposition) will click in customer, and what Trade Communication is required for their markets - some thing young IBA or NSU Grads. won't figure out in first 2 years. And, these guys were quite safe employee - hardly any ambition, and they were at lower pay scale (but taking home lot from bonuses) - happy bunch with their almost 24/7 job, never bothered to be posted in City and never argued on stressed targets (Unfortunately, I was the guy to send their target break down every month as well).

On contrary, we had several brilliant young TOs - coming from best business schools both home or abroad, brilliant in presentations, analysis ...... what not. And, they were effectively cheaper - started with base salary (while the oldies enjoyed may be 25 years of increment - even at 3-4%, it's almost 3 times than base, not much bonus either, because my style was never to move performing TOs from his area, so new comers will always go to "tougher" areas.

After every quarterly report (A matrix prepared in the line of SWOT analysis with people plotted in 4 Quarter), I'll almost certainly get a call from CHRO - yaar M..., what have you done yaar? If I am to chop 100 people, by your list most of the boys picked in last 2-3 years will get the letter, while you have kept several people in "Star" block, who has no future potential, consuming higher wage and bonus as well milking own area for decades now.

My response was always standard - "...... boss, I haven't done it based on your HR potential for future .... I have to run my business and these oldies are performing, know what they are doing and cost of opportunity is too high (If we sack any one, most of them will get scared and might jump ship to competitor - they are cheapest employees to hire and can deliver instantly). I understand your point, but we can't promote 100s of TOs into TMs, or shift to Marketing/Finance - those bright boys you hired are just parking for couple of years in an MNC - each one updates resume twice a month. Regardless of which block I put them, they'll move out within a year or two - these guys are not going to spend 60 hours a week on their bike, talking to retailers and distributors ....), you can keep another report based on potential or future placement & I'll help you there, but for this list - I'll have to stick to the people in red hot zone in terms of revenue & acquisition...................". You probably have understood the rest of the conversation.

Imran Farhat, KAkmal, Cheema ..... has brilliant domestic record for last few years - they might be International failure, but here in FC system, you are not scouting players for PCT, rather you are creating a platform where top performers can compete each others - then the Selectors/Scouts will use their judgement and other considerations while picking PAK squad (s).

Just because IF, AC or KA don't have any future for PAK Colors, you can't deny them their right to play FC cricket. For the sake of saying - if these players are dropped, and someone asks the integrity of the selectors, what will be the answer - too old for PAK Cap, for not to be selected for FC Teams? Taking these 3 out (3 are examples, you can add names), and replacing them with 3 U23 players, actually regresses the quality & competitiveness of FC Tournaments, which was exactly the problem in past. It can work both ways, so best is to separate FC & National selection process - pick National team (s), on merit and future prospects, keep FC squads as such that the current competition is toughest.

[mention=131701]mamoon[/mention]

i read all your posts regarding the squad selection and i actually do agree some points as well. But, you have to understand that pcb has to start at some point and they have to introduce a performance based culture, so that in future this list gets filtered/upgraded.

Coming to the issue of imran farhat, that you mentioned - i actually don't agree with that at all. I understand your stand point, but there is a technical problem that i faced in my professional career. Let me explain, so that you could relate.

I worked for one of the largest mnc in south asia (world actually), with a robust sales-distribution network. We had over 1000 territory officers, around 100 t managers, ~20 area managers, 5 regional managers/heads and then the director sales. In my capacity, i was a sort of commercial business controller, with one core responsibility being evaluate the efficiency of msc (marketing, sales & c service) teams. Part of that job was to prepare a quarterly performance matrix of our territory officers ...

This is not annual performance appraisal (which was done by their respective tm, sm & rm), rather it was for the human resource dept., being a neutral watch dog, keeping a track of "potential & vulnerable" field force. The idea is that, in my industry, sales volume was subject to drastic changes and you might have to hire/fire lower tier employees on a short notice. Not, necessarily that my report'll have any direct impact of the job (for tos), but it was a sanity check for management - who are those employees to be "sacked/removed" at first hit (quite heartless job to be honest).

Now, many of my tos were into their 40s, 50s - may be b.com or undergrad from a college at most, poor in english, hardly any potential to grow, and hardly maneuverable (can't shift them to other job). But, these guys were brilliant salesmen - they knew how to talk with retailers, they knew what product usp (unique sales proposition) will click in customer, and what trade communication is required for their markets - some thing young iba or nsu grads. Won't figure out in first 2 years. And, these guys were quite safe employee - hardly any ambition, and they were at lower pay scale (but taking home lot from bonuses) - happy bunch with their almost 24/7 job, never bothered to be posted in city and never argued on stressed targets (unfortunately, i was the guy to send their target break down every month as well).

On contrary, we had several brilliant young tos - coming from best business schools both home or abroad, brilliant in presentations, analysis ...... What not. And, they were effectively cheaper - started with base salary (while the oldies enjoyed may be 25 years of increment - even at 3-4%, it's almost 3 times than base, not much bonus either, because my style was never to move performing tos from his area, so new comers will always go to "tougher" areas.

After every quarterly report (a matrix prepared in the line of swot analysis with people plotted in 4 quarter), i'll almost certainly get a call from chro - yaar m..., what have you done yaar? If i am to chop 100 people, by your list most of the boys picked in last 2-3 years will get the letter, while you have kept several people in "star" block, who has no future potential, consuming higher wage and bonus as well milking own area for decades now.

My response was always standard - "...... Boss, i haven't done it based on your hr potential for future .... I have to run my business and these oldies are performing, know what they are doing and cost of opportunity is too high (if we sack any one, most of them will get scared and might jump ship to competitor - they are cheapest employees to hire and can deliver instantly). I understand your point, but we can't promote 100s of tos into tms, or shift to marketing/finance - those bright boys you hired are just parking for couple of years in an mnc - each one updates resume twice a month. Regardless of which block i put them, they'll move out within a year or two - these guys are not going to spend 60 hours a week on their bike, talking to retailers and distributors ....), you can keep another report based on potential or future placement & i'll help you there, but for this list - i'll have to stick to the people in red hot zone in terms of revenue & acquisition...................". You probably have understood the rest of the conversation.

Imran farhat, kakmal, cheema ..... Has brilliant domestic record for last few years - they might be international failure, but here in fc system, you are not scouting players for pct, rather you are creating a platform where top performers can compete each others - then the selectors/scouts will use their judgement and other considerations while picking pak squad (s).

Just because if, ac or ka don't have any future for pak colors, you can't deny them their right to play fc cricket. For the sake of saying - if these players are dropped, and someone asks the integrity of the selectors, what will be the answer - too old for pak cap, for not to be selected for fc teams? Taking these 3 out (3 are examples, you can add names), and replacing them with 3 u23 players, actually regresses the quality & competitiveness of fc tournaments, which was exactly the problem in past. It can work both ways, so best is to separate fc & national selection process - pick national team (s), on merit and future prospects, keep fc squads as such that the current competition is toughest.

potw

I read all your posts regarding the squad selection and I actually do agree some points as well. But, you have to understand that PCB has to start at some point and they have to introduce a performance based culture, so that in future this list gets filtered/upgraded.

Coming to the issue of Imran Farhat, that you mentioned - I actually don't agree with that at all. I understand your stand point, but there is a technical problem that I faced in my professional career. Let me explain, so that you could relate.

I worked for one of the largest MNC in South Asia (World actually), with a robust sales-distribution network. We had over 1000 Territory Officers, around 100 T Managers, ~20 Area Managers, 5 Regional Managers/Heads and then the Director Sales. In my capacity, I was a sort of Commercial Business Controller, with one core responsibility being evaluate the efficiency of MSC (Marketing, Sales & C Service) teams. Part of that job was to prepare a quarterly performance matrix of our Territory Officers ...

This is not annual performance appraisal (which was done by their respective TM, SM & RM), rather it was for the Human Resource Dept., being a neutral watch dog, keeping a track of "potential & vulnerable" field force. The idea is that, in my industry, sales volume was subject to drastic changes and you might have to hire/fire lower tier employees on a short notice. Not, necessarily that my report'll have any direct impact of the job (for TOs), but it was a sanity check for Management - who are those employees to be "sacked/removed" at first hit (quite heartless job to be honest).

Now, many of my TOs were into their 40s, 50s - may be B.Com or undergrad from a college at most, poor in English, hardly any potential to grow, and hardly maneuverable (can't shift them to other job). But, these guys were brilliant salesmen - they knew how to talk with retailers, they knew what product USP (Unique Sales Proposition) will click in customer, and what Trade Communication is required for their markets - some thing young IBA or NSU Grads. won't figure out in first 2 years. And, these guys were quite safe employee - hardly any ambition, and they were at lower pay scale (but taking home lot from bonuses) - happy bunch with their almost 24/7 job, never bothered to be posted in City and never argued on stressed targets (Unfortunately, I was the guy to send their target break down every month as well).

On contrary, we had several brilliant young TOs - coming from best business schools both home or abroad, brilliant in presentations, analysis ...... what not. And, they were effectively cheaper - started with base salary (while the oldies enjoyed may be 25 years of increment - even at 3-4%, it's almost 3 times than base, not much bonus either, because my style was never to move performing TOs from his area, so new comers will always go to "tougher" areas.

After every quarterly report (A matrix prepared in the line of SWOT analysis with people plotted in 4 Quarter), I'll almost certainly get a call from CHRO - yaar M..., what have you done yaar? If I am to chop 100 people, by your list most of the boys picked in last 2-3 years will get the letter, while you have kept several people in "Star" block, who has no future potential, consuming higher wage and bonus as well milking own area for decades now.

My response was always standard - "...... boss, I haven't done it based on your HR potential for future .... I have to run my business and these oldies are performing, know what they are doing and cost of opportunity is too high (If we sack any one, most of them will get scared and might jump ship to competitor - they are cheapest employees to hire and can deliver instantly). I understand your point, but we can't promote 100s of TOs into TMs, or shift to Marketing/Finance - those bright boys you hired are just parking for couple of years in an MNC - each one updates resume twice a month. Regardless of which block I put them, they'll move out within a year or two - these guys are not going to spend 60 hours a week on their bike, talking to retailers and distributors ....), you can keep another report based on potential or future placement & I'll help you there, but for this list - I'll have to stick to the people in red hot zone in terms of revenue & acquisition...................". You probably have understood the rest of the conversation.

Imran Farhat, KAkmal, Cheema ..... has brilliant domestic record for last few years - they might be International failure, but here in FC system, you are not scouting players for PCT, rather you are creating a platform where top performers can compete each others - then the Selectors/Scouts will use their judgement and other considerations while picking PAK squad (s).

Just because IF, AC or KA don't have any future for PAK Colors, you can't deny them their right to play FC cricket. For the sake of saying - if these players are dropped, and someone asks the integrity of the selectors, what will be the answer - too old for PAK Cap, for not to be selected for FC Teams? Taking these 3 out (3 are examples, you can add names), and replacing them with 3 U23 players, actually regresses the quality & competitiveness of FC Tournaments, which was exactly the problem in past. It can work both ways, so best is to separate FC & National selection process - pick National team (s), on merit and future prospects, keep FC squads as such that the current competition is toughest.

Once my friend articulated the situation well.

I feel these squads are very competitive. They’ve reduced the number of players so everyone has to be on top of their game..

Plenty of players with international experience and good solid domestic performers

At the same time the second 11’s will be monitored and you have a self fulfilling merit based system

You also have to look to the future. You need people like farhat to stay in the game and develop as coaches and other jobs

It’s a churn you’ve got to keep churning

Wasim was very clear in that players need to look at other options not just int contracts. If the system works we will see the likes of younis farhat and even sarfraz at some point taking their place as coaches directors and officials

This will slowly get rid of the weird shakeel types of the world..hopefully..

I love the six team format and will be keeping a close eye on this season

Yes, this is something I believe in too. Very well written.

The worst thing new management (in any business) can do is get trigger-happy.

The PCB is very lucky to have well-performing TTFs at the domestic level because it allows them to mentor younger players without becoming a burden. Otherwise, you have a weakened competition with youngsters mentoring other youngsters and no one learning anything about what's to come at the international level.

Guys like Kamran Akmal and Imran Farhat can bridge that gap between youthfulness and experience before getting flushed out of the system as their performances deteriorate.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION]

Wow, you are from performamce measurement background?

Wow, you are from performamce measurement background?

Not limited to Performance Measurement only, but yes, for a long time part of my direct or my team's responsibility was to benchmark business KPI by teams/departments/individuals. Also, Pricing, Business Case, Post-Campaign evaluation, Change management impact analysis ... these are all a sort of PM.

You were in my favorite line of work.

Wish I could get an opportunity to work under such environment and platform, but it looks highly unlikely with naya pakistan now in operation particularly.

I really want to explore controlling/reporting functions with KPIs & Analysis.

Last edited:

You were in my favorite line of work.

Wish I could get an opportunity to work under such environment and platform, but it looks highly unlikely with naya pakistan now in operation particularly.

I really want to explore controlling/reporting functions with KPIs & Analysis.

PAK isn’t the only limit these days if you are good at what you are doing. If you are interested in that career, then I suggest take some proper education either on analytics (big data) or in finance - you can take online courses as well from top schools (even MIT, they offer some of the best courses online). But, don’t stick to analysis & reporting only, you’ll be bored - must add business acumen/knowledge as well so that you can move forward to decision making roles.

The problem is that Sindh team is so strong that Omair and Mohsin Hasan will not get a chance until Asad Shafiq and Abid Ali get selected for the tour. The problem lies with other team as well. 8 team would have been ideal. Omair and Imran Rafiq are better than Shabzada Farhan but Farhan will get more chances because of lack of quality in KPK team.

Flawed idea

Yes, this is something I believe in too. Very well written.

The worst thing new management (in any business) can do is get trigger-happy.

The PCB is very lucky to have well-performing TTFs at the domestic level because it allows them to mentor younger players without becoming a burden. Otherwise, you have a weakened competition with youngsters mentoring other youngsters and no one learning anything about what's to come at the international level.

Guys like Kamran Akmal and Imran Farhat can bridge that gap between youthfulness and experience before getting flushed out of the system as their performances deteriorate.

Sadly I have to agree with MMHS. The quality of our youngsters especially in the batting department is poor which our U19 and A team results against Afghanistan and Bangladesh are reflecting.

You cannot discard the consistently performing seniors in domestic cricket out just like that. You have to back and trust the system to do that in due course

Last edited by a moderator:
Excited to see Sarfi, Babar and Haris as captains. Imad should have no business here as he has no future in test cricket so don't see the point in making him captain.

Northern will win most tournaments - M Wasim seems to be the best coach along with Kabir Khan, they will push for youth and back them. Could see Haris Rauf and M Musa make it into the national team soon. Not sure why Imad Wasim is the captain specifically for first class.

I have heard good things about Abdul Rehman as coach; also legends like Younis Khan, Basit Ali, Rashid Latif and many more speak highly of Azam Khan.

Future plan should be

There should be two 2nd XI of each province(overall 12 teams), to give many youngsters an opportunity then pick the best 6 teams.

South Africa had a very successful model, similar to this.

Actually the CSA is restructuring their FC cricket as well

Currently,yes they have 2 different FC Competitions.

Actually the CSA is restructuring their FC cricket as well

Currently,yes they have 2 different FC Competitions.

austerity measure to cut down the loses, nothing to do with improving the quality of first class

A lot of posters here have mentioned that the squads are competitive, which is good to read. However, it's absolutely vital that the PCB and associations ensure that pitches are of requisite quality. This includes not only high level training, but also regular checks to make sure that standards are met. Only with decent pitches and fewer teams (more competitive batting orders and bowling attacks) will we see the cream rise to the top. The PCB have alluded to pitches being an area of focus, so that's encouraging. InshAllah it all goes to plan, and all players buy into this idea as it could really work.

What!! Imran Farhat is still playing hahahaha! And vice-captain as well :)):))

All this time i thought Imran Farhat was just a meme who had retired long ago

Turns out that Pakistan cricket was a real life living meme

He was the second-highest run-scorer last year in the QEA Trophy.

Yes. I'm studying about Big Data, Already qualified as ACCA Affiliate.

Advanced Performance Management was my last professional optional exam. :)

Yes. I'm studying about Big Data, Already qualified as ACCA Affiliate.

Advanced Performance Management was my last professional optional exam. :)

Excellent. You are in right track.

I used to take a long session with passing out MBA students at couple of private schools on career development in corporate career, and self development as professional... I used to start with a punch line so that audience are alerted in early morning. One of my golden line was -
“Target for a professional career should be to start with Excel and gradually move towards Power Point”. 👍

I think, my share of Power Point against Excel crossed 50% by 2006, but those few early years’ foundation with spread sheet, SQL, SPSS, MS Access ... were gold.

Good luck.

I've gained excel skills in past year or so and just love those analysis with the data, Once also got a freelance assignment but unfortunately never again.

Dashboards, Variance breakups, Pivot Table, Power Pivot, Lookups etc. I use these set of skills at my current workplace as well (Where no one else uses these, literally I was first person in my department to construct a dashboard for monthly budget).

So wish I could get into a top organization.

I've gained excel skills in past year or so and just love those analysis with the data, Once also got a freelance assignment but unfortunately never again.

Dashboards, Variance breakups, Pivot Table, Power Pivot, Lookups etc. I use these set of skills at my current workplace as well (Where no one else uses these, literally I was first person in my department to construct a dashboard for monthly budget).

So wish I could get into a top organization.

You’ll - start improving your English skills, presentations & soft skills for interview.

He was the second-highest run-scorer last year in the QEA Trophy.

In addition, he's being used as VC to help mentor/guide a young, inexperienced Balochistan squad. Balochistan cricket is underdeveloped so it makes sense to use an experienced FC cricketer in this way.

Back