Sri Lanka vs New Zealand | 1st Test | Galle | Nov 17-21, 2012

It was a half tracker asking to be spanked, but it seems like McCullum isn't aware that you can still get four runs from hitting the ball along the ground.

I have a problem with term ftb, skill against spin doesn't count? You could say he doesn't do well outside subcontinent but he's still a very good player of spin. And I find mostly people who haven't played any level of cricket, essentially keyboard warriors who are enthusiastic about these terms.

Let me rephrase the term. I am not a fan of this term either because it isn't well understood. Jayawardene is a quality player of spin and very good in Asia but is that really a big deal for a Sri Lankan? I don't think an international level batsman should be credited for being good in his home conditions - that is the least you'd expect of him.
But what separates the great from the good is how well you do outside your comfort zone- your proper litmus test.
Outside Asia, he Jayawardene averages a paltry 32 which means he hasn't made the step from the good to the great. Mahela is a quality player but not someone who should be termed as world class or someone who achieved legendary status, but he is one of the best batsmen of all time on Asian pitches. Hope I've made it clear now :)

Don Bradman once have some pretty good advice to Neil Harvey, "If you don't hit it in the air, you can't get out".

Kiwis credit Vaas for good show

"Chaminda has got a lot of knowledge of playing in these conditions. He’s fit nicely into the team environment and had a lot to offer since he’s been with us. There are little things that he’s passed on as a bowler and I think we bowled well as a result today." Tim Southee

Too bad clowns at SLC have shunned Vass for no apparent reason. His wealth of knowledge and expertise should do wonders for our quicks. Good to see at least someone is utilising his services.

Let me rephrase the term. I am not a fan of this term either because it isn't well understood. Jayawardene is a quality player of spin and very good in Asia but is that really a big deal for a Sri Lankan? I don't think an international level batsman should be credited for being good in his home conditions - that is the least you'd expect of him.
But what separates the great from the good is how well you do outside your comfort zone- your proper litmus test.
Outside Asia, he Jayawardene averages a paltry 32 which means he hasn't made the step from the good to the great. Mahela is a quality player but not someone who should be termed as world class or someone who achieved legendary status, but he is one of the best batsmen of all time on Asian pitches. Hope I've made it clear now :)

Well I don't really see anyone hyping up any of the lankan players tbh In fact anyone outside Ind, Eng & Aus hardly get hyped up, they mostly go under the radar so I find it interesting when players outside these countries are discussed.

Seamers caught us by surprise - Ford

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-new-zealand-2012/content/story/591947.html?CMP=outlook_news

Sri Lanka coach Graham Ford has said the swing New Zealand's seam bowlers generated caught Sri Lanka by surprise on the second morning in Galle. Tim Southee reaped three wickets for 18 from his first spell of seven overs, while Trent Boult took the wicket of Kumar Sangakkara at the other end. Both bowlers moved the ball considerably, with Southee, in particular, finding vicious swing in the air in addition to deviation off the seam.

"This morning they swung it considerably and more than we expected," Ford said. "It was a lovely clear morning and we didn't think it would move as much as it did, when they bowled. It perhaps did catch us a little bit by surprise."

Despite bowling which often bordered on unplayable, Sri Lanka found regular boundaries in the first hour and maintained a much better run rate than New Zealand did during their innings on day one.

Sri Lanka recovered through a 156-run partnership between Angelo Mathews and Mahela Jayawardene, as the pair saw out the swinging new ball and batted through the second session. When they were only five wickets down and 15 runs behind New Zealand's first-innings score, Sri Lanka might have had their sights set on a large first innings lead, but Mathews' demise heralded another poor period for Sri Lanka, and they finished only 26 runs ahead in the first innings.

"It was a brilliant fightback by Mahela and Angelo which has got us right into the game, and we've everything to play for in the morning. The game's very even at the moment."

Another bundle of wickets in the morning session. Not much of a surprise.

Typical. I'm done supporting these hacks.

One guy in the XI averages above 40. Just one.

Williamson the next Crowe? Give me a break.

Herath to Franklin, OUT, this will rank as one of the more unusual dismissals! Herath tossed it up from round the wicket and Franklin gave him the charge, he was beaten in flight and caught in a tangle, the ball went between the batsman's legs and Prasanna J failed to gather the ball, the ball instead hit his chest and deflected onto the stumps, knocking a bail off before Franklin could make it back.

Lol that was pretty funny. Fail whale.

Marshy, a score of 150 could be a tough one to chase on this pitch.

Need a partnership of at least 50 runs now.

Another 5-fer for Herath and his 2nd 10-fer this year as well. Top work.

Another 5-fer for Herath and his 2nd 10-fer this year as well. Top work.

He has been performing consistently well ever since the retirement of Murali. In a way, I see him has the backbone of SL's bowling attck in Test cricket. Now all he need is a pacer to support his cause (Kula can be the one) like vaas did for Murali.

70 runs lead, 2 wickets remaining

At least 50 more runs could make this game further interesting.

Finally Randiv gets a wicket in the match. He's been pretty disappointing. Might loose his spot after this me thinks.

He has been performing consistently well ever since the retirement of Murali. In a way, I see him has the backbone of SL's bowling attck in Test cricket. Now all he need is a pacer to support his cause (Kula can be the one) like vaas did for Murali.

Yeah the ol fella has been a great asset to the side. Bowling and probably even batting is still lacking to be a decent Test side though, especially outside the SC.

It will still take some getting me thinks.

SL should chase this total down without losing many wickets (at the max 3 wickets)

Paranavitana :facepalm:
Probably one of the worst and one of the most boring openers going around.

Can't understand why Southee still hasn't been given the ball, unless he's carrying a niggle or something.

Half way there only around 40 to get now. Southee is yet to bowl a ball in the 2nd innings.

Didn't get a chance to see any of the play today. Pretty glad i missed it.

Great bowling by Herath but our batting is minnow level while our bowlers are very promising.

Mental strength is not there, nz every now and than manage a way to get out in a session or 2.

Well done Lanka. Worrying thing is we don't got any budding world beaters in domestic setup. Bowling looks good. Though I would play phantom over bracewell. Batting is mediocre as always.

NZ getting pawned left, right, up, down, front and back.

They need to get their team combination right and for some reason there team spirit looks quite weak. The lack of enthusiasm in the field will do you no good. NZ has a very good batting order but quite inconsistant sans ross and to an extent guptill.

NZ was at their best 5 years ago with the likes of styris, nathan astle, fleming, mcmillan. Entering the 2007 WC they were clearly among the favourites to win and they even made it to the semi-finals with ease but failed to win it though. The key was EXPERIENCE. The NZ team needs to play more and more cricket right now. Their present sides has only few batsman who have played more than 30 test matches. NZ should arranged more home or away series with BD, both teams desperately needs to play more and more cricket right now, especially tests

brilliant stuff from herath. Too bad that herath became a regular in the side at an old age. Probably would have bagged a lot of wickets in the test arena, atleast 400 , had he started playing since an earlier age.

BTW, who is this karunnnaratne?

brilliant stuff from herath. Too bad that herath became a regular in the side at an old age. Probably would have bagged a lot of wickets in the test arena, atleast 400 , had he started playing since an earlier age.

BTW, who is this karunnnaratne?

FDM Karunarathene is a young opening batsman. The longterm replacement of Dilshan, and if form gets ****, Paranavithana in the near future

FDM Karunarathene is a young opening batsman. The longterm replacement of Dilshan, and if form gets ****, Paranavithana in the near future

The last bit in your sentence was really Hilarious, man :))

Great win for SL, didn't watch the game (only followed it through Cricinfo). Game finished in less than 3 days. How was the pitch for this test?

Pitch was a corker, batsmen were not good enough compared to the bowlers. Put Aussies on this they would have scored 350. It had pace, bounce and spin. Some woderful seam bowling from both sides, herath's brilliance and some **** shots brought the scoreline to what you see.

^^nz????its not easy to beat west indies,india,sri lanka on their home pitches,,,

Back