Star Trek

saadibaba

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
"Beam me up Scotty"

The new Star Trek movie in out this weekend. Its getting a lot of hype because of director J.J.Abrams (Lost series) new take on the franchise. Rotten Tomatoes have given it an unprecedented 96% on its tomatometer. I havent seen it yet but plan to.

I personally grow up on the next generation Star Trek with Captain Picard, Data etc. I saw some reruns of the original Star Trek show but because of poor production quality never really got into it. The concept is definitely intriguing for someone like me who is into Science Fiction.

Any "Trekkies" on PP ? Whats your take on the new Star Trek movie and the series in whole ?

Last edited:
I never watched Star Trek but the movie trailer looks class and I thinkI will turn up for it.

saadibaba said:
Rotten Tomatoes have given it an unprecedented 96% on its tomatometer.

What are they being bribed or something ?

Trailer looks good .. but the movie is probably another one of those shallow summer blockbusters.

eagerly awaiting this flick...i detest Sci-Fi as a rule but the Shatner Star Trek was always fun to watch

kashif77 said:
What are they being bribed or something ?

Trailer looks good .. but the movie is probably another one of those shallow summer blockbusters.

Well they base that on all the critic reviews. For "Star Trek" they counted 204 reviews, out of which 195 were good and 9 were bad. Its pretty neat, they also have a top critic number which is based on reviews of acclaimed critics, that is still pretty good for the movie, 91%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

I remember Transformers got some great reviews as well .. but that movie was total shiat.

It seems that these critics are sometimes biased towards the hyped up mega blockbusters.

kashif77 said:
I remember Transformers got some great reviews as well .. but that movie was total shiat.
You could say that the weak part was the script but the special effects were mind blowing. The movie was NOT total shiat. I am looking forward to the sequel.

Now coming to the OP, I grew up on Star Trek - original series and also "Next Generation" and I love sci-fi. So yes will watch the movie. No brainer for a trekkie.

I heard the movie is real good. Never liked Star trek personally, so I am not even going to watch it.

watching the new film tonight - and very much looking forward to it!!!

I haven't watched it myself, but a couple of my closest nerdiest friends have nothing but praise for it. Personally I can't imagine Sylar as Spock, but these guys tell me that people who aren't trekkies will love this movie just as much as anyone else, if not more. I'll have to get off my lazy butt and go check it out myself!

saw it last night - as someone who grew up on the original kirk re-runs followed by the picard generation i must say i was thoroughly disappointed...

special effects were awsome but the storline was just plain ludicrous

IMMY69 said:
saw it last night - as someone who grew up on the original kirk re-runs followed by the picard generation i must say i was thoroughly disappointed...

special effects were awsome but the storline was just plain ludicrous

yeah .. that's just about what i expected.

a lot of nice special effects but a shallow story line .. the typical summer blockbuster.

Not sure if I could accept someone other than Nimoy as Spock or Shatner as Kirk. So I'm bound to be disappointed by it!

Mercenary said:
Not sure if I could accept someone other than Nimoy as Spock or Shatner as Kirk. So I'm bound to be disappointed by it!

my problem wasnt so much with the characters...i actually thought they did a decent job...problem is that it seemed like a bunch of actors trying to do a rory bremner...but the real disappointment was the story...

it was almost laughable..

I personally grow up on the next generation Star Trek with Captain Picard, Data etc. I saw some reruns of the original Star Trek show but because of poor production quality never really got into it.
Mine was the opposite case. I liked that old stuff. When new ones came either I missed the old cast or it was the better effects that made it worse or me just watching less and less of TV because I cannot follow serials and I don't like ads

Mercenary said:

Agreed.

Can anyone remember the original tv series? Check out the effects in that man!!!!!!!

Ok the original series had some very cool story lines and people from those era will not care much about the next generation.

Spock, Bones, Kirk etc are the star trek to me.

Even though shatner sucks as an actor and the special effects etc were horrible but its the concept that got you.

Sci-fi franchise Star Trek is set to introduce its first transgender and non-binary characters.

The characters are to appear in the third series of Star Trek: Discovery, producers said on Wednesday.

The trans character, Gray, will be played by trans actor Ian Alexander, and likewise non-binary Adira will be portrayed by Blu del Barrio.

"Star Trek has always made a mission of giving visibility to underrepresented communities," said a producer.

The show's co-runner and executive producer Michelle Paradise added: "It believes in showing people that a future without division on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation is entirely within our reach."

The programme, which will begin again next month on US TV network CBS, previously featured the first married gay characters in the franchise's history; while Sonequa Martin-Green also became the first Black woman to lead a Star Trek TV series.

In an interview with GLAAD del Barrio said: "When I got the call that I'd been cast as Adira, I hadn't yet told the majority of my friends and family that I was non-binary.

"So when this happened, it felt like the universe saying 'go ahead'."

Anthony Rapp, one of the show's stars, tweeted: "I cannot wait for you all to meet these beautiful souls and wonderful artists. I am so so so proud of them and happy that they are a part of our show".

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54012463

Last edited:
Back