Steve Bucknor - Was he genuinely biased against India?

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
Hate to start this discussion but right from childhood i have watched him giving some terrible decisions against us. Tendulkar in particular has been wrongly given out by him on a number of occasions, a lot of times it just seemed like he loved pssing Indians off. Was he really biased against us or it's just that we tend to notice his wrong decisions more?

This one is from 1992 when he didnt go for the 3rd umpire, guess he was the only person on the field who thought it wasnt out. There have been plenty of other awful decisions as well including those in that famous SCG test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfWqSw2Ahcs

Nope.

I'm pretty sure every country thinks that an umpires has it in for them- notice the number of Australian players (Warne, Martyn etc) who think Dar has a problem with Australia.

I don't think so - maybe he had a few grudges against certain players for whatever reason.

He did make some bad blunders during his career but so have many other umps.

I don't think so - maybe he had a few grudges against certain players for whatever reason.

He did make some bad blunders during his career but so have many other umps.

sorry mate but that is oxymoronic.

Yes he was biased against Indians...but BCCI ended his career in 2007 for good.

The trouble started during our tour of Australia in 2003-04. After the test series, Ganguly and John Wright criticized him severely in their report to match referee (or ICC?). He didn't quite like it obviously. In later in the ODI series Dravid was suspended for a match with the ball tampering charges. When he returned in the following match Bucknor mocked him in the ground (I didn't see it, just read on the media)

I swear he was. Not too surprising that his career ended the way it did. Hadd macha rakhi thi India ke against..

It's an impossible question to answer (well unless you are actually Steve Buckner) because even if you can provide the stats to say that Buckner made a greater number of bad umpiring decisions against India than he did against other teams there is no way of saying what the cause of this was. Correlation does not equal causation.

For example did he make more wrong decisions when Sachin was batting because Sachin was an Indian/brown person or was it because Sachin was a short or had a squeaky voice or had frizzy hair. Either of these reasons have equal weighting. So was he bias against Indians or was he bias against short people?

Last edited by a moderator:
This cost us 1st series win in Australia. This thread made me bitter again.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/92zqspN3W2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank God BCCI ended his career for good.Now hopefully BCCI end the career of a certain match refree as well.

Indian team also complained against him after he was shown on TV mimicking Dravid.

No big deal. Umpires also have the "fan" inside them and they surely support one of the teams. At times, this does get in the way of discharge of duty. And some times this is blatantly obvious as in the case of Bucknor. Thank god, we are past the era of home umpires and I don't think Bucknor was worse than many home umpires of the past.

Rahul Dravid and Tendulkar had added 98 in 168 balls when Bucknor struck. Tendulkar was beaten by the late swing of a ball from Abdul Razzaq, and the daylight between bat and ball was visible from the press box, at the furthest and highest part of the ground. Bucknor, after his usual deliberation, lifted his finger. Tendulkar shook his head and walked off. India have been hard done by Bucknor before, but they were still in a strong position as the day ended.

Link: http://www.espncricinfo.com/wctimeline/content/story/146240.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/92zqspN3W2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That's the worst umpiring i've ever seen since I started watching cricket. Shocking.

And all of those errors in a single match!!! Just makes me sad... We should have won that match.. :( One of the most controversial test matches ever. I still remember Anil Kumble making a sweeping statement quoting 'Integrity'. That shook the entire Aussie camp and Aussies were never the same thereafter

What I would suggest is that if you dont have anything useful to say, dont say it - if you do, expect infractions and bans.

Surely the English could say Bucknor hates them based on his two LBW decisions he didn't give when Pringle was bowling to Miandad in the '92 WC Final?

Had he been given out, Pakistan would possibly have collapsed in their innings.

We won a series in England thanks to him. Nah, such types are just incompetent, to state it bluntly.

Of course, unless you're willing to allege that sweet karma was served six months later.

I tell you what, If I was an international cricketer / bowler I would make sure I was BFF with umpires: yes sir, no sir, please, thank you etc

make him like you and he is probably going to give more decisions in your favour. And something I've watched with some teams (esp Pakistan) the more you appeal, the less decisions will be given in your favour.

He won you the series here in 2007. Sreesanth was plumb as it gets to Monty but Bucknor lost his mind. The rain closed in and the match was called off. England drew the game when they only had one more wicket to take.

He won you the series here in 2007. Sreesanth was plumb as it gets to Monty but Bucknor lost his mind. The rain closed in and the match was called off. England drew the game when they only had one more wicket to take.

what happened in an Ashes test at Lords last time an Aussie team toured England?

The Commies were saying it wasnt out.

what happened in an Ashes test at Lords last time an Aussie team toured England?

The Commies were saying it wasnt out.

lol what are you even trying to say

He is just pointing out the fact that one of India's only great away test series victory was because of Bucknor's terrible umpiring so calling him biased against India is not true

I think this is the one you are referring to (@ 3 mins)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SRqAO7DoReo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lol what are you even trying to say

He is just pointing out the fact that one of India's only great away test series victory was because of Bucknor's terrible umpiring so calling him biased against India is not true

The other umpire in that test match was a certain Simon Taufel.Widely held to be one of the best and he was part of the decision to offer light to the batsman.

Bucknor's horrendous record of giving Indians out or robbing Indians of wickets is well known.

Bucknor was just a bad umpire, you shouldn't read too much into it...

Last edited:
Steve Bucknor - Was he genuinely biased against India?
, Even if he was, which I doubt very much, it was a lot less than a certain Daryl Hair against Pakistan. And as for David Shepherd vis-a-vis bias against Pakistan, I would suggest that calling it 'bias' is putting it mildly.

Thank God BCCI ended his career for good.Now hopefully BCCI end the career of a certain match refree as well.

Yep that was typical immature bully tactics from a country that wont even produce their own umpire, but just like to attack those with the courage to go and stand in a international game. Something Indian umpires clealy lack.

Bucknor was a very good umpire who started to fail at the end of his career. Considering that Indian cricket was comprised of two great players and a billion sooks until fairly recently, he probably had a subconcious bias against them.

Yes, he was biased against India but nothing new here. I have seen some umpires being biased against specific countries.

Yep that was typical immature bully tactics from a country that wont even produce their own umpire, but just like to attack those with the courage to go and stand in a international game. Something Indian umpires clealy lack.

Bucknor was a very good umpire who started to fail at the end of his career. Considering that Indian cricket was comprised of two great players and a billion sooks until fairly recently, he probably had a subconcious bias against them.

Did you seriously want Steve Bucknor to officiate more after that match?

Billy Doctrove has cost us on many occasions, the worst umpires seem to come from the Windies or Lanka

Last edited:
Indeed Steve Bucknor was a very good umpire. Always wanted him to officiate in our matches.

lol what happens on the video it does not load on my mobile. But the look on Ponting's face lol
Umpire gave Tendulkar out caught at slip when the ball actually came off his shoulder then when the umpire saw it on the big screen he changed his decision and called him back..

Last edited:
Umpire gave Tendulkar out caught at slip when the ball actually came off his shoulder then when the umpire saw it on the big screen he changed his decision and called him back..

and how did Ricky feel about it :)

Ever heard of a guy named venkat raghvan.

Ever heard of a guy named venkat raghvan.

well if you are talking about umpires being biased then nothing beats this man! Arani Jayaprakash who gifted Kumble all 10 wickets in an innings good thing he only officiated in 13 Tests

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,837
well if you are talking about umpires being biased then nothing beats this man! Arani Jayaprakash who gifted Kumble all 10 wickets in an innings good thing he only officiated in 13 Tests

Gifted 10 wickets? Are you drunk or something, 9 of them were plumb and the 10th one was a 50-50 call. Moaning loser.

Agree, none of those 10 wickets were actually out. Even Bowled were due to batsmen farting.

About time this thread gets derailed to undermine India:14:

Last edited:

How many howlers do you see out of 10 wickets? Point out howlers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7CjptAaT58

I suspect many PPers make this comment here either didn't watch that game or don't really understand the meaning of howlers made by umpires. I didn't watch that game but heard this claim earlier as well. That prompted me to check clips. Claims had no merit.

I will be interested to hear why you think that 10 wickets were gifted.

He was a man of the game and a very good umpire whose strong reputation has been harmed by faltering eyesight towards the end of his career and also some very nasty BCCI politics which the usual saffron parrots and sycophants are defending of course.

lol what happens on the video it does not load on my mobile. But the look on Ponting's face lol

Though law exist for umpires to change their decisions but I think they have to change it quickly. In this case, Umpire looked at the the replay on big screen and thought it's idiotic to give out as caught when ball clearly hit shoulder of SRT. Problem I see it here - he took long time to change his decision. I am also not sure that he would have changed it for some less known player or some bowler getting wrongly out in similar fashion.

Last edited:
And then Tendulkar got himself out and Australia won the match. I know who was smiling then.....

Credit to them as they were a champion side. No worries, Tendulkar had enough smiling days against Australia. Point being Ponting had no reason to argue with Tendulkar over a decision taken by the umpire.

Credit to them as they were a champion side. No worries, Tendulkar had enough smiling days against Australia. Point being Ponting had no reason to argue with Tendulkar over a decision taken by the umpire.
Maybe Indian fans should take their own advice (Sydney test) :asadrauf and considering you made a thread criticising a umpire that's a bit rich :)))

Thread///Epic fail

Last edited:
Glad that Bucknor's career got terminated by BCCI otherwise he would be have cost us more matches.

He was a man of the game and a very good umpire whose strong reputation has been harmed by faltering eyesight towards the end of his career and also some very nasty BCCI politics which the usual saffron parrots and sycophants are defending of course.

the sydney test umpiring was probably the worst piece of umpiring i have ever seen!i mean how many wrong decisions can an umpire give?and no he was not a good umpire at any stage of his career,i really don't know how he made it to the elite panel!

Maybe Indian fans should take their own advice (Sydney test) :asadrauf and considering you made a thread criticising a umpire that's a bit rich :)))

Thread///Epic fail

are u for real??don't u see the difference in the decisions which were made in the sydney test and the decision which was made in that particular odi.
first of all there were a series of howlers in the sydney test which cost us the game and series while there was one blunder made in that particular odi which was rightfully corrected!
the thread is not a fail kiwi,u are the one who is looking foolish over here with all your anti-india sentiment!

are u for real??don't u see the difference in the decisions which were made in the sydney test and the decision which was made in that particular odi.
first of all there were a series of howlers in the sydney test which cost us the game and series while there was one blunder made in that particular odi which was rightfully corrected!
the thread is not a fail kiwi,u are the one who is looking foolish over here with all your anti-india sentiment!
Let me ask you this, would this have ever happened to any other batsmen? or if the game was played in Australia? It's double standards.

Let me ask you this, would this have ever happened to any other batsmen? or if the game was played in Australia? It's double standards.

so just because it may/may not happen to any other batsman,the wrong decision should have been upheld?it's the umpire duty to ensure he makes the correct decision always!and btw the commie in the video clearly said that the ump was well within his rights to call back the batsman within a specified period of time which he did!

so just because it may/may not happen to any other batsman,the wrong decision should have been upheld?it's the umpire duty to ensure he makes the correct decision always!and btw the commie in the video clearly said that the ump was well within his rights to call back the batsman within a specified period of time which he did!
You don't get it.

You don't get it.

no i don't get what u are trying to say?just because no other batsman might/might not have got called back,so therefore tendulkar also should not have been called back?
what kind of logic is that?two wrongs make a right?

no i don't get what u are trying to say?just because no other batsman might/might not have got called back,so therefore tendulkar also should not have been called back?
what kind of logic is that?two wrongs make a right?
You do it for everyone or you don't do it at all. It was unfair and Ponting had every right to be upset, and if it hadn't been Tendulkar the umpire would have more than likely done nothing at all - double standards.

Haven't seen Bucknor umpire, but to get to the top he must've been good and almost every umpire makes howlers in their careers so what if he did mostly against India don't whinge about it, Pakistan seem to have biased umpiring against them in Englland too

You do it for everyone or you don't do it at all. It was unfair and Ponting had every right to be upset, and if it hadn't been Tendulkar the umpire would have more than likely done nothing at all - double standards.

Yep, had that been someone like Steve Smith, i oubt he would've been called back

well i guess we can agree to disagree.

Something tells me if this had happened against India we would have both been on the same page..

no i wouldn't.i am not speaking on behalf of other indian fans but me personally would not have a cry say if ponting was the batsman and india was the bowling team because the correct decision would have been made and that is what is important!
i enjoy watching fair cricket,whether india wins or not is another matter.

Seem to recall that India's complete failure to bat out one over from Michael Clarke cost them the match.

Bucknor is/was a very good umpire.

To people who are moaning and whining - please do not maintain personal grudges.

Aussies phir ro raahe hai.

Though law exist for umpires to change their decisions but I think they have to change it quickly. In this case, Umpire looked at the the replay on big screen and thought it's idiotic to give out as caught when ball clearly hit shoulder of SRT. Problem I see it here - he took long time to change his decision. I am also not sure that he would have changed it for some less known player or some bowler getting wrongly out in similar fashion.

Umpires can change their decision before the batsman crosses the boundary line.

, Even if he was, which I doubt very much, it was a lot less than a certain Daryl Hair against Pakistan. And as for David Shepherd vis-a-vis bias against Pakistan, I would suggest that calling it 'bias' is putting it mildly.

It would be foolish not to think that Daryll Hair was biased againist Asian teams.

Last edited:
Bucknor is/was a very good umpire.

To people who are moaning and whining - please do not maintain personal grudges.
No we dont have any personal grudges against Bucknor. We just ensured his cricket career is over.
You do not mess with BCCI/Team India ;-)

Back