Steve Smith, is his captaincy role under threat?

Hasan123

Test Star
Runs
As we are playing Australia in a few months I haven't seen much discussions about Steve Stmith being under pressure with regards to his leadership role, is it something that could work in our advantage? Or do you even believe he is under pressure?

Recently whitewashed 3-0 by Sri Lanka and whitewashed by South Africa in the odi format, is Steve Smith in danger of losing his capatincy? Some Australians I have seen on cricket forums and on Facebook pages have questioned his decisions and some are in change of Warner taking over to allow Smith to concentrate on his batting.

Also David Warner has been impressive in his captaincy stints and the team seems more agressive under him. Personally I would stick with Smith but if Australia were to lose to South Africa in the upcoming test series, it could put him under tremendous pressure.

He is one of my favourite players currently, so hope he does well (apart from the Pakistan series :misbah). Think he will come good eventually but how long can Australia give him?

Do you think Australia will stick with him or not? Can Smith survive this storm or not?

Discuss......

I don't think Smith is the right choice as captain; But I think CA and Lehmann will stick w/him.

I don't think Smith is the right choice as captain; But I think CA and Lehmann will stick w/him.

He has experience at domestic level it's just a question of how long will Australia perseve with him if they were to not win the upcoming home series and get demolished in India.

He has experience at domestic level it's just a question of how long will Australia perseve with him if they were to not win the upcoming home series and get demolished in India.

Imo experience has nothing to do with captaincy.

He is very young. If backed real hard in the long term, he may become a good captain.

He's a very good captain as is Warner. The tools asking for Warner to replace him are the same ones that criticized the management for making him vice captain.

As for the losses, they were out of his control. Against Sri Lanka, the batting was completely out of depth. As for SA, I'd like to see any captain take 10 wickets or restrict to a fighting total with that attack.

No

He's still got plenty of learning to do.

But 1. Not his fault he and Shaun Marsh are the only players who can play spin in the test team

and 2. South Africa would have a good chance of beating our best team let alone that attack

Its upto Australian board and Darren Lehmann weather he will be backed or not.

It would require major home losses at this stage for him to be sacked.

A series where the selectors deliberately picked a C grade attack won't be considered relevant

It would require major home losses at this stage for him to be sacked.

A series where the selectors deliberately picked a C grade attack won't be considered relevant

What about a home defeat vs South Africa and if tour drew or loss to us in the upcoming test series?

What about a home defeat vs South Africa and if tour drew or loss to us in the upcoming test series?

I think he might be shown a door then if they lose to an Asian team at home as that will be history in the making as well.

I think he might be shown a door then if they lose to an Asian team at home as that will be history in the making as well.

Would be a tough decision for Australian cricket board to make. Have a feeling we may suprise some people in Australia

Smith is no Pointing but except Starc he doesn't have the services of Ryan or Johnson anymore even Siddle performed somewhat under Clarke.

Personally i prefer him over Warner but one can never understand how Aussie teams work.

Would be a tough decision for Australian cricket board to make. Have a feeling we may suprise some people in Australia

I agree Pakistan vs Aus might end up being better tour than Pak vs England,really excited only thing i'm worried about is Pakistani keeping their catches which might make your bowlers lose confidence as Aus batsmen won't keep giving chances and their always attack mode will make them score much quicker unlike the English.

It's pretty apparent to everyone that Smith is the best available.

We won't lose to Pakistan anyway

It's pretty apparent to everyone that Smith is the best available.

We won't lose to Pakistan anyway

I would stick with him anyway he will come good eventually.

Don't dismiss us so easily, bet you didn't think we would draw with England

I agree Pakistan vs Aus might end up being better tour than Pak vs England,really excited only thing i'm worried about is Pakistani keeping their catches which might make your bowlers lose confidence as Aus batsmen won't keep giving chances and their always attack mode will make them score much quicker unlike the English.

Hafeez was guilty of dropping some catches in the slips, he shouldn't be playing in Australia . But we must hold to our catches. Our bowlers should do well in Australia conditions

Not really to be fair..

They lost in Asia because they are poor vs spin.

I don't see SA winning or drawing test series vs Aus this time.4 years back, they had a very very strong team and Kallis, Amla, Smith, AB,Faf ( played the best knock of all time in his debut ) all were in form players and contributed to victory.

Warner is a lulloo captain.

Indian fans on Australian cricket pages are calling for Warner to be made captain just because he won the ipl. His captaincy in the ipl was predictable he was lucky that he had mustafizur and Bhuvi who were in good form. Also Warners batting was a big part of Sunrisers winning than Warners captaincy was.

Indian fans on Australian cricket pages are calling for Warner to be made captain just because he won the ipl. His captaincy in the ipl was predictable he was lucky that he had mustafizur and Bhuvi who were in good form. Also Warners batting was a big part of Sunrisers winning than Warners captaincy was.

Those Indian fans can't look beyond scorecards.

But then most cricket fans are like that.

Warner's captaincy in IPL was horrendous. Formula based no matter what happens.

The bowling attack was bloody good and Warner himself was in God mode in that tourney so they won.

You are spot on.

Last edited:
Pak without Yasir will be a whitewash..

Your bowling is too reliant on him and since he is a leg spinner, he has some chance to run through Aussies in one of the innings.

Pakistan have a unpredictable team but still winning in Aus is too tough a deal.

Warner would cash on some big runs after missing out in SL and NZ tour.

Those Indian fans are idiots.

But then most cricket fans are idiots.

Warner's captaincy in IPL was horrendous. Formula based no matter what happens.

The bowling attack was bloody good and Warner himself was in God mode in that tourney that they won.

Looooool harsh comments bro.

Yes sometimes he would delay bringing mustafizur on and would save him till the end.

Yes Warner had a brilliant tournament with the bat and there bowling was the strong suit for Sunrisers

Pak without Yasir will be a whitewash..

Your bowling is too reliant on him and since he is a leg spinner, he has some chance to run through Aussies in one of the innings.

Pakistan have a unpredictable team but still winning in Aus is too tough a deal.

Warner would cash on some big runs after missing out in SL and NZ tour.

I wouldn't rule us out of the Australian tour. Aussie batting is nor certain atm, could have one or two inexperienced players playing. Even though they are strong at home current Australian team isn't as settled as our test team.

I would stick with him anyway he will come good eventually.

Don't dismiss us so easily, bet you didn't think we would draw with England

I don't see Pakistani batting adapting to the pitches.

I don't see Pakistani batting adapting to the pitches.

Ball coming onto the bat will suit Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq. Misbah did decent in Australia in the world cup.

Just an easy thing to say that we won't adapt to the conditions.

The Pakistani batsman tend to do better on flat, bouncy wickets. Azhar Ali especially.

After the pretty massive reaction last year by media and fans over the wickets I'm not convinced they will be that flat.

Ball coming onto the bat will suit Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq. Misbah did decent in Australia in the world cup.

Just an easy thing to say that we won't adapt to the conditions.

Sure it might be an easy thing to say but it's also easy to say that this time this team will adapt to the conditions.

It's obviously not going to be a popular opinion here but I'm expecting a 2-1 or 3-0 victory.

A lot depends on Yasir Shah.

I wouldn't rule us out of the Australian tour. Aussie batting is nor certain atm, could have one or two inexperienced players playing. Even though they are strong at home current Australian team isn't as settled as our test team.

Australian batting is Bradmanesque in Australia.500-600 runs will come in 120 -130 overs.

However, when they go to Asia(particularly since their last tour), they all of a sudden become an unsettled unit.

When they come back to Australia, they again become Bradmanseque. Its a pretty serialized pattern.

Their batsmen score 70-75% of their runs in the month of Dec-Jan for pretty obvious reasons.Ask Warner in which month he scored a test century last time?

However, their strength is that they have fast bowlers who knows how to utilise the bounce offered from Australian pitches and takes 20 wickets of opposition after piling out 500-550 runs on board.

Among Pak bowlers, Wahab will be the one suited the most to those conditions but we all know what he will turn out to be there apart from a rare or a couple of great spells.

Pink ball test will be interesting. Others will be either a draw or an AUS win.

Australian batting is Bradmanesque in Australia.500-600 runs will come in 120 -130 overs.

However, when they go to Asia(particularly since their last tour), they all of a sudden become an unsettled unit.

When they come back to Australia, they again become Bradmanseque. Its a pretty serialized pattern.

Their batsmen score 70-75% of their runs in the month of Dec-Jan for pretty obvious reasons.Ask Warner in which month he scored a test century last time?

However, their strength is that they have fast bowlers who knows how to utilise the bounce offered from Australian pitches and takes 20 wickets of opposition after piling out 500-550 runs on board.

Among Pak bowlers, Wahab will be the one suited the most to those conditions but we all know what he will turn out to be there apart from a rare or a couple of great spells.

Pink ball test will be interesting. Others will be either a draw or an AUS win.

You are right about them being good at home. But apparently they may have the India tour in mind so may select players who will do well at home as well.

Key for us in batting is not to subcome to scoreboard pressure.

Sure it might be an easy thing to say but it's also easy to say that this time this team will adapt to the conditions.

It's obviously not going to be a popular opinion here but I'm expecting a 2-1 or 3-0 victory.

2-1 is a fair shout.

Yes Yasir is the key, with your poor ability to play spin don't rule us out if we cans score runs.

Smith is not going anywhere. He is the best available option at the moment.

A bit overrated test batsman but a very good ODI batsman

if we even manage to draw 1 test, they would have done more that i expected them to do

I'd be quite happy with a 2-1 defeat in Australia tbh

Smith practices hard and is the ultimate professional.

Having said that, he is an unimaginative and slightly defensive captain and a timid personality without leadership skills.

But Darren Lehmann likes that - it leaves him with much more power than he would enjoy under a strong captain.

Australia are lucky that AB De Villiers is injured - they might have struggled to beat a full-strength South Africa.

Remember, Warner, Smith and Starc are the only players whose Test places are secure.

After the pretty massive reaction last year by media and fans over the wickets I'm not convinced they will be that flat.
If Steyn, Rabada, Morkel and Philander dominate the Aussie batsmen then I suspect that the Pakistanis will face slower, flatter tracks.

If Steyn, Rabada, Morkel and Philander dominate the Aussie batsmen then I suspect that the Pakistanis will face slower, flatter tracks.

Wickets will certainly be flat. At least for 2 Test matches.

There always is some hue and cry in every country whenever flat decks are made. However, boards and curators work differently. They know OZ strength and will go by that.

Smith practices hard and is the ultimate professional.

Having said that, he is an unimaginative and slightly defensive captain and a timid personality without leadership skills.

But Darren Lehmann likes that - it leaves him with much more power than he would enjoy under a strong captain.

Australia are lucky that AB De Villiers is injured - they might have struggled to beat a full-strength South Africa.

Remember, Warner, Smith and Starc are the only players whose Test places are secure.

I wouldn't call him unimaginative.

Do you think he will grow into the role?

What about Smith as captain, if he was to lose the home series would he be under pressure or not?

No candidates except Warner. Smith is a good tactician but not really a strong leader. However, I don't think he'll be removed from captaincy as long as he keeps winning at home, which they will.

Getting whitewashed in Asia doesn't bother them much because it is standard procedure for them. Australia have rarely, if ever, sacked captains for losing away.

Can argue this either way. If Australia lose to South Africa (and they have the last two times the Saffers have come to town), Pakistan will face some tough pitches.

No candidates except Warner. Smith is a good tactician but not really a strong leader. However, I don't think he'll be removed from captaincy as long as he keeps winning at home, which they will.

Getting whitewashed in Asia doesn't bother them much because it is standard procedure for them. Australia have rarely, if ever, sacked captains for losing away.

I don't think Warner is that good a captain anyway.

But a home series loss could put him under tremendous pressure

Wickets will certainly be flat. At least for 2 Test matches.

There always is some hue and cry in every country whenever flat decks are made. However, boards and curators work differently. They know OZ strength and will go by that.

Australian wickets are flat to help touring teams. Not Australia

It's a shame for Smith Australia has such average bowling resources if Starc doesn't play. Pattinson and Cummins couldn't be fitter quicker.

His batting is suffering for it and now the pressure is heavily on Warner to get a good start.

Last edited:
Pressure is increasing on Smith, can he comeback from this or will Australia have a new skipper by the time they board the plane to India?

Yes his captaincy was not that great this time especially the way he used lyon but he was the best option out their.Got to think australia will bounce back in Hobart

Traditionally that was more of a NZ-like wicket, which will be a little softer and suit more conventional swing than reverse. Think it will be the most challenging conditions SA will face this series that too without steyn

I maintain what I wrote earlier.

He is an unimaginative skipper, but one of only three players in the team who is an automatic selection. One of those has the intellectual and diplomatic skills of Donald Trump (Dave Warner) and one is injury-prone (Mitchell Starc).

Plus his tenure as skipper makes Darren Lehmann the real boss, which of course Boof loves.

The problem will come if both South Africa and Pakistan beat Australia this summer. That would make Smith's position untenable - and it might happen.

So he's the long term skipper? Also what are your thoughts on him as captain?

He'll be Captain for a few more years for sure.

He's got a lot of areas to improve in, in regards to his captaincy

Smith isn't losing the Captaincy.

I genuinely enjoy your posts, even though we tend to argue.

But have you contemplated the fact that he might actually resign rather than being sacked?

Imagine a draw v South Africa at Hobart. Cricket Australia will then order an absolute greentop at Adelaide in the hope of winning the toss and levelling the series. Which might backfire.

Marsh is already gone and Voges is injured and in doubt too. Cummins and Pattinson are out too.

It's not impossible that South Africa destroy Joe Burns and Mitch Marsh, and that Pakistan then defeat a demoralised and under-strength Australia.

And what's next on the Test agenda? A long tour of India, where the defeats are likely to be worse than they were in Sri Lanka.

So far only 1 Test is lost, and Australia did actually score 600 runs across the 2 innings.

But if the season goes badly, I could imagine Smith pulling the plug on the captaincy. Especially if his batting suffers - and we all saw the line that the Saffas bowled to him.

I genuinely enjoy your posts, even though we tend to argue.

But have you contemplated the fact that he might actually resign rather than being sacked?

Imagine a draw v South Africa at Hobart. Cricket Australia will then order an absolute greentop at Adelaide in the hope of winning the toss and levelling the series. Which might backfire.

Marsh is already gone and Voges is injured and in doubt too. Cummins and Pattinson are out too.

It's not impossible that South Africa destroy Joe Burns and Mitch Marsh, and that Pakistan then defeat a demoralised and under-strength Australia.

And what's next on the Test agenda? A long tour of India, where the defeats are likely to be worse than they were in Sri Lanka.

So far only 1 Test is lost, and Australia did actually score 600 runs across the 2 innings.

But if the season goes badly, I could imagine Smith pulling the plug on the captaincy. Especially if his batting suffers - and we all saw the line that the Saffas bowled to him.

I don't think resigning is in his character.

He'll be Captain for a few more years for sure.

He's got a lot of areas to improve in, in regards to his captaincy

I would stick with him for now, losing 2 home series would put him under pressure.

Seen on Facebook some Australia fans want him gone. Shouldn't go yet but if Australia keep losing games heavily a change maybe needed.

I would stick with him for now, losing 2 home series would put him under pressure.

Seen on Facebook some Australia fans want him gone. Shouldn't go yet but if Australia keep losing games heavily a change maybe needed.

Facebook Australian fans don't get a say.

Adelaide will not produce a green top in a million years. It has always been a flat as a highway pitch.

Adelaide will not produce a green top in a million years. It has always been a flat as a highway pitch.

I was there last year and it WAS a greentop, to protect the Pink Ball.

It's a Day/Night Test,

Adelaide will have grass on it because of the pink ball. Not because of the series result

Only Smith, Warner, and Starc are automatic selections. So, Australia has no choice but to stick with Smith.

if they lose both series this summer, a change is on the cards.
However, it is equally likely that a draw against South Africa and a win against Pakistan will perfect for Smith.

I will say this though. I dont like Darren Lehman as coach. He might not survive.

Darren Lehmann and Pat Howard would go before Smith given they're the guys actually running things.

no worries [MENTION=141114]Hasan123[/MENTION].... traditionally pak are very generous when they see a player like that... And will make sure steve smith stamp his authority in pak va aus series and scoring big daddy 100s

I don't see much wrong he did in this test. Australia got the ball reversing but just couldn't put together spells on a testing length like Rabada did. They were also met by batsmen who were willing to dig in.

Complains about underbowling Lyon on the 3rd day are silly. The way Lyon spins the ball in his hand would have ruined the reversing ball. He had 4 seamers to bowl with, made the correct choice. They just weren't able to deliver.

no worries [MENTION=141114]Hasan123[/MENTION].... traditionally pak are very generous when they see a player like that... And will make sure steve smith stamp his authority in pak va aus series and scoring big daddy 100s

But that can happen because Smith is a good player it's players such as Voges,Marsh, and Nevile who we shouldn't allow to get into some form.

Back