The continued unjust ousting of Fawad Alam - A statistical viewpoint

ahmedwaqas92

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
For a good number of days I had been itching to compile a relevant piece on the difference or primarily, the drop in numbers that a budding player might need to go through when he eventually makes that domestic to international leap from Pakistani First Class cricket. For this very reason I had taken into account the test debuts of all the players that occurred over the last decade, their first class records (prior to the debut) and how they fared in domestics once they had that relevant international exposure.

While I was researching this (which still happens to be incomplete as of now :( ) I delved into Fawad Alam’s domestic records of nearly the entire last half a decade; 4 years to be precise and what I found was as astonishing and frustrating in equal measure, as I’ve ever been in my life. I am not sure where to even begin in justifying the idiocy of whoever doesn’t let Fawad get selected but apparently he has numbers that are almost unparalleled in any era of Pakistani First Class Domestics.

For starters, in the last four seasons (I.e. four years) of Pakistan domestic tournaments Fawad Alam is the only person that has regularly featured as a top performer over and over again. The sample size accumulated by all these numbers is a mind boggling 99 games across 4 day, list-A and T20 matches for varying regions, departments and other domestic teams. There is also this weird notion that Fawad Alam is quite a vulnerable candidate in representing a limited overs Pakistani side however, the research that I periodically conducted suggested that Fawad is the only candidate in the entire domestic setup who comfortably averages over 50 in every format of the game. To give matters a bit more perspective let’s initially look at the First Class numbers of Fawad in the last 4 years:

FaddyAccumalatedFC.JPG

Until season 2015/2016 Fawad was a vital cog in the batting lineup of National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) after which during the preceding last season he made a surprisingly bold move and switched to SSGC (Sui Southern Gas Corporation).
In a tally of 35 games Fawad averages almost 60 runs per dismissal which is almost Brandmanesque if you consider that these numbers were achieved over four different cycles of form and a varying degree of changes in opposition. Never in the entirety of these 35 games does Fawad average ever drops lower than 55 a piece which clearly points to how impressively consistent this lad has been over the course of nearly half a decade of domestic cricket.

In addition to these feats Fawad managed to hit six centuries (inclusive of two double tons) and fourteen half centuries. These unique qualifiers put him as good as anyone representing the national team because according to the match per century ratio Fawad sits in at 5.83 which is almost neck and neck to what Asad Shaqid provides us at the international level. His century per match ratio is even better than Babar Azam, Misbah ul Haq, Salman Butt, Usman Sallauddin, Sami Aslam, Harris Sohial Imam-ul-Haq; individuals who were, are or have been touted to represent Pakistan cricket in the near future. His twin double daddy centuries gives us a glimpse that similar to Younis Khan, Fawad has this uncanny ability to go big once he gets a start or a decentish score on the board. The only two people currently in the Paksitani XI who have a better match per century ratio are Azhar Ali and Younis Khan.

To get an even better understanding of Fawad’s sustained progressive performance I did a progression chart on his season averages starting from 2013 up until the last 2016 one, the plotted result was as follows:

FaddyAccumalatedFCGraph.JPG

The above picture clearly showcases that the lad hovers mid 50s even when he’s going through lean patches of form (which could probably be a career high for someone like an Umer Akmal) but it is almost mind numbing to realize that this guy, a guy who averages almost 60 in the previous four SEASONS can’t find a place in the Pakistani middle order and yet over the last 7 years we’ve had players like Ifthikhar Ahmed, Muhammad Rizwan, Umer Akmal, Nasir Jamshed and all sorts of rubbish debut one after the other.

Most Fawad detractors claim that his high number of not outs help him to maintain this kind of a healthy average but even so if we remove all the not outs from Alam’s numbers his RPI (Runs per Innings) would still be above 50 which I firmly believe could very well be his international test average if our management ever grows a pair of brain cells and be smart enough to give him a proper go.

Another extremely common Anti-Fawad rhetoric that I most often encounter is how people in general do not associate him as a viable option in limited overs cricket. Being the bean pole that he is, I too somewhat believed it until I came across these subsequent numbers.

FaddyAccumalatedListA.JPG

FaddyAccumalatedT20.JPG

Before I start breaking down the obvious I would like to point out that the blue table are his numbers from (2013-most recent) for all List-A 50 over games while the yellow table are T20 games for the same said period.

In 42 fifty over encounters Fawad averages 55.60 and his most modest season is the 2016 one with a runs per dismissal of 45.00, extremely low considering Fawad’s high standards but at the same time and during the same stretch of seasons Fawad also averages more than fifty in all T20 games he’s played since the starting period of the progression.

Any informed cricket viewer will testify that an average over 50 in any given format is a remarkable achievement in its own and while Fawad, a guy who gets ridiculed for being the ugly batting duckling manages to somehow carry out the latter without any fuss or complain.

However, the problem with Fawad’s Limited overs game identifies that he does not have the same consistency as of what he has in his 4 day encounters and if we look at the below representation of his moving averages then clearly this in effect becomes more apparent.

FaddyAccumalatedListAGraph.JPG

FaddyAccumalatedT20Graph.JPG

Let’s get one thing addressed straight off the bat, Fawad by no means is a T20 player at all. Being one of his well-wishers I will humbly admit that he is not top drawer (by any stretch of imagination) when it comes to the shortest format of the game. This is evidently proved by the dotted line in the T20 average graph as it represents a projection of how his average would’ve reflected had he represented any domestic team in 2014, he was dropped and rightly so. It can also be noted that ever since his 2013 all-time high in the format, Fawad’s T20 average is at a declining trend which makes him an extremely over hill investment for T20 internationals. There should be no confusion that Fawad is at best a league player for T20s at the moment, while even with his sharp ground fielding and part time slow left arm the best he can provide is a 30 (25) type of an innings with some run saving efforts, which for someone who is 31 years old is nothing but a stop gap solution.

In contrast his One Day numbers, although also not as impressive as his First Class record, literally begs to give this lad a proper go. In 42 games (a decent enough sample size as well, across four seasons i.e.), Fawad manages to average 55.60 per dismissal including two centuries and 10 fifties. This mathematically signifies that every 4th innings he plays, the bloke ends up scoring fifty or more and converts one in every five of these into a ton without fail. That is almost gold dust for a team like Pakistan that more often than not struggles to play out their full quota of deliveries.

Over the years I’ve heard many folks complain that the Fawad even though, unjustly ousted, is now heading towards the latter part of his cricketing career and while this may be a valid concern we have to understand that Fawad is one of the fittest individuals (a rarity in itself) in the Pakistan domestic circuit at the moment. With regards to how old he is, let us also not forget that Hafeez (36 officially) and Malik (35 officially) are both valid contributing members of the team and as per reports are touted to play until 2019 Word Cup, which would make them 38 and 37 respectively at the time of the tournament.

Misbah was reintroduced to save Pakistan cricket at the mature age of 36 and while I am in no measure comparing the two individuals, Fawad, who is officially 31 years old can become an integral part of the team (tests, and ODIs; ad hoc basis) if only the management and the Pakistan selection committee show their trust in his abilities and the numbers he has accumulated for the last four seasons, you can’t fluke your way across a hundred games.

Just to further shed light on the perspective of age Salman Butt (32 years) Wahab Riaz (32 years), Kamran Akmal (35 years) all are either part of, looking to be a part of or had been a part of the national team in the recent past and all three of them do not hold a candle in comparison to how Fawad has performed domestically AND INTERNATIONALLY as well.

Furthermore, many folks forget that Fawad is a seasoned international that has represented Pakistan in the past and unlike his competing peers he has an extremely favorable record as well. This moot argument that somehow the lad will be ‘found out’ is as bogus as it can get since factually Fawad debuted around 2007 and has played almost 40 odd games across three formats while averaging more than 40+ in two of them. Take a look at this:

FaddyInternationalNumbers.JPG

Tried and Tested ‘seniors’ would undoubtedly kill for these dream international numbers yet after only half a good season well call them on the basis of ‘performance’ ignoring that for fifteen years these same seniors can’t properly put bat on ball and putting a blind eye on the only individual who is making heaps of runs in domestic and has a more than healthy past international record as well.

Azhar Ali (Pakistan best Test Batsman) is officially 32 years old, a year older than Fawad while Asad Shafiq (A vital batting cog) and Sarfraz the standing skipper are only 100 days and year younger than Fawad respectively. Pakistani coaching and managerial staff should seize this opportunity to introduce someone who might play the vital Misbah role (batting wise) that is required in that middle order now and with Micky hinting at Osman Sallahuddin ready to open along with Sami, a middle order (hypothetically) consisting of Azhar, Asad, Fawad, Babar and Sarfraz would be a lot more secure than having flashy one tour wonders in the playing XI.

Before I conclude this piece, I would also like to point out that to Fawad’s credit the guy has never lashed out on Pakistan management for his continued absence from the field, even after scoring these many runs in first class cricket. He is the true embodiment of how a professional athlete should keep on persevering, even when the odds are stacked against you, and focus on performing and silencing critics on the field. I just sincerely hope that this piece would help (even if it’s a drop in the bucket) to shedding light on the injustice happening to one of our premier domestic batsmen in the country and someone who can most definitely help Pakistan win games on the field.

P.S. The domestic numbers relevant to the resource provided above can be found on the main Pakistan Cricket Board’s website and from other open source online resources as well. Anybody interested in seeing the full bit can contact me and I’ll be happy to forward you the links as needed.

Thank You for reading this in its entirety and here’s to hoping Fawad makes a successful return to national colors!

[MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION] [MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] [MENTION=53290]Markhor[/MENTION] [MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION] [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] [MENTION=47617]Red Devil[/MENTION] [MENTION=134551]Muhammad10[/MENTION] [MENTION=136729]Suleiman[/MENTION] @Rayyaman [MENTION=3474]TalhaSyed[/MENTION] [MENTION=100918]Square Drive[/MENTION] [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] @Saj

But but but his technique is horrible :danish

I would get him in and look at a middle-order of:
Babar
Shafiq
Fawad
Salahuddin/Hafeez/Imad
Sarfraz

But but but his technique is horrible :danish

I would get him in and look at a middle-order of:
Babar
Shafiq
Fawad
Salahuddin/Hafeez/Imad
Sarfraz

Quite frankly, I won't necessarily care if he even decides to squat mid way down the pitch while playing with his dominant hand tied behind his back, as long as he can give me the above. It is mind boggling how he has continued to be ignored when proper dross like Kamran Akmal and Salman butt are on the verge of getting selected :facepalm:

A travesty to say the least !!

Fantastic post bro! About time Fadi got his chance. Probably the most unfairly treated Pakistani cricketer of all time.

Fantastic post bro! About time Fadi got his chance. Probably the most unfairly treated Pakistani cricketer of all time.

And Yet there are some who have the absolute gal on claiming that there is a 'kanspiracy' going against them. You want to see unfair treatment, LOOK NO FURTHER THAN FAWAD ALAM!!

But the guy is past his best and in major decline.

Last season he was the TWENTY SECOND highest run scorer in domestic First Class cricket.

Behind Salman Butt.

Behind Imam-ul-Haq.

Behind Fakhar Zaman.

Even behind Kamran Akmal.

He is at an age where even if he was in the team, I'd want him dropped in favour of a younger player.

And Yet there are some who have the absolute gal on claiming that there is a 'kanspiracy' going against them. You want to see unfair treatment, LOOK NO FURTHER THAN FAWAD ALAM!!

Also speaks volumes about his personality and attitude, the guy keeps getting ignored but he never complains and keeps on piling the runs. Compare him to the jobbers who feel entitled to be given a spot regardless of their performances. :facepalm:

In 2016-17

Fawad Alam scored 1 century in 11 First Class Innings.

Salman Butt scored 4 in 16.

Even Hammad Azam scored more runs than Fawad Alam!

In 2016-17

Regardless Salman Butt averages 30 in test cricket that's not good enough for a recall.

Also speaks volumes about his personality and attitude, the guy keeps getting ignored but he never complains and keeps on piling the runs. Compare him to the jobbers who feel entitled to be given a spot regardless of their performances. :facepalm:

I always say that having character, grit and a sense of WORKING HARD is much much much more important for an athlete than having 'talent' tbh, I am not saying talent isn't required at all but it can only take you so far. Poeple claim Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were talented hence they made it to the top, but what they don't point out is how many laps of the ground they did before they even picked up a ball in the nets or what their diet and regular active lifestyle was like - Just listen to any of Wasim's or Waqar's interviews right now and you will instantly realize this facet.

Blokes like Fawad, Misbah, Azhar, Younis, Yasir Shah (Yes he's as hard working as it gets) are the kind of player that we need and should point our aspiring youngsters to look at towards. They have a core understanding of how professionalism works and treat players on best practices and merit. Unfortunately our fans do not understand this basic principles that are required to succeed in the modern era and bandwagon on anyone who plays a flashy cover drive.

Azhar Mahmood correctly said that we do not require people that are talent, we want individuals that are ready to show character on the field. Fawad I believe is one of such individuals and PCB should wise up and give this lad a proper go.

In 2016-17

I am not too sure if you've read the OP or not (completely i.e.) but if you had I am mightly surprised that you're still bringing this up, as it was specifically addressed in the piece.

This thread isn't Fawad vs anyone else, this is just something I felt needed to be addressed impartially and based on objective facts rather than if an XYZ batsman can play in the V or not type of scenario.

I'd love to discuss a Salman Butt vs Fawad Alam comparison but unfortuntely the thread is not related to such but even if it did, I am 97% sure that argument would not go nicely for Salman Butt fans. (The 3% uncertainity is the statistical margin of error, I usually do this to not make my claims sound like Absolute facts, after all I am a numbers guy :) )

For a good number of days I had been itching to compile a relevant piece on the difference or primarily, the drop in numbers that a budding player might need to go through when he eventually makes that domestic to international leap from Pakistani First Class cricket. For this very reason I had taken into account the test debuts of all the players that occurred over the last decade, their first class records (prior to the debut) and how they fared in domestics once they had that relevant international exposure.

While I was researching this (which still happens to be incomplete as of now :( ) I delved into Fawad Alam’s domestic records of nearly the entire last half a decade; 4 years to be precise and what I found was as astonishing and frustrating in equal measure, as I’ve ever been in my life. I am not sure where to even begin in justifying the idiocy of whoever doesn’t let Fawad get selected but apparently he has numbers that are almost unparalleled in any era of Pakistani First Class Domestics.

For starters, in the last four seasons (I.e. four years) of Pakistan domestic tournaments Fawad Alam is the only person that has regularly featured as a top performer over and over again. The sample size accumulated by all these numbers is a mind boggling 99 games across 4 day, list-A and T20 matches for varying regions, departments and other domestic teams. There is also this weird notion that Fawad Alam is quite a vulnerable candidate in representing a limited overs Pakistani side however, the research that I periodically conducted suggested that Fawad is the only candidate in the entire domestic setup who comfortably averages over 50 in every format of the game. To give matters a bit more perspective let’s initially look at the First Class numbers of Fawad in the last 4 years:

View attachment 75890

Until season 2015/2016 Fawad was a vital cog in the batting lineup of National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) after which during the preceding last season he made a surprisingly bold move and switched to SSGC (Sui Southern Gas Corporation).
In a tally of 35 games Fawad averages almost 60 runs per dismissal which is almost Brandmanesque if you consider that these numbers were achieved over four different cycles of form and a varying degree of changes in opposition. Never in the entirety of these 35 games does Fawad average ever drops lower than 55 a piece which clearly points to how impressively consistent this lad has been over the course of nearly half a decade of domestic cricket.

In addition to these feats Fawad managed to hit six centuries (inclusive of two double tons) and fourteen half centuries. These unique qualifiers put him as good as anyone representing the national team because according to the match per century ratio Fawad sits in at 5.83 which is almost neck and neck to what Asad Shaqid provides us at the international level. His century per match ratio is even better than Babar Azam, Misbah ul Haq, Salman Butt, Usman Sallauddin, Sami Aslam, Harris Sohial Imam-ul-Haq; individuals who were, are or have been touted to represent Pakistan cricket in the near future. His twin double daddy centuries gives us a glimpse that similar to Younis Khan, Fawad has this uncanny ability to go big once he gets a start or a decentish score on the board. The only two people currently in the Paksitani XI who have a better match per century ratio are Azhar Ali and Younis Khan.

To get an even better understanding of Fawad’s sustained progressive performance I did a progression chart on his season averages starting from 2013 up until the last 2016 one, the plotted result was as follows:

View attachment 75891

The above picture clearly showcases that the lad hovers mid 50s even when he’s going through lean patches of form (which could probably be a career high for someone like an Umer Akmal) but it is almost mind numbing to realize that this guy, a guy who averages almost 60 in the previous four SEASONS can’t find a place in the Pakistani middle order and yet over the last 7 years we’ve had players like Ifthikhar Ahmed, Muhammad Rizwan, Umer Akmal, Nasir Jamshed and all sorts of rubbish debut one after the other.

Most Fawad detractors claim that his high number of not outs help him to maintain this kind of a healthy average but even so if we remove all the not outs from Alam’s numbers his RPI (Runs per Innings) would still be above 50 which I firmly believe could very well be his international test average if our management ever grows a pair of brain cells and be smart enough to give him a proper go.

Another extremely common Anti-Fawad rhetoric that I most often encounter is how people in general do not associate him as a viable option in limited overs cricket. Being the bean pole that he is, I too somewhat believed it until I came across these subsequent numbers.

View attachment 75892

View attachment 75893

Before I start breaking down the obvious I would like to point out that the blue table are his numbers from (2013-most recent) for all List-A 50 over games while the yellow table are T20 games for the same said period.

In 42 fifty over encounters Fawad averages 55.60 and his most modest season is the 2016 one with a runs per dismissal of 45.00, extremely low considering Fawad’s high standards but at the same time and during the same stretch of seasons Fawad also averages more than fifty in all T20 games he’s played since the starting period of the progression.

Any informed cricket viewer will testify that an average over 50 in any given format is a remarkable achievement in its own and while Fawad, a guy who gets ridiculed for being the ugly batting duckling manages to somehow carry out the latter without any fuss or complain.

However, the problem with Fawad’s Limited overs game identifies that he does not have the same consistency as of what he has in his 4 day encounters and if we look at the below representation of his moving averages then clearly this in effect becomes more apparent.

View attachment 75894

View attachment 75895

Let’s get one thing addressed straight off the bat, Fawad by no means is a T20 player at all. Being one of his well-wishers I will humbly admit that he is not top drawer (by any stretch of imagination) when it comes to the shortest format of the game. This is evidently proved by the dotted line in the T20 average graph as it represents a projection of how his average would’ve reflected had he represented any domestic team in 2014, he was dropped and rightly so. It can also be noted that ever since his 2013 all-time high in the format, Fawad’s T20 average is at a declining trend which makes him an extremely over hill investment for T20 internationals. There should be no confusion that Fawad is at best a league player for T20s at the moment, while even with his sharp ground fielding and part time slow left arm the best he can provide is a 30 (25) type of an innings with some run saving efforts, which for someone who is 31 years old is nothing but a stop gap solution.

In contrast his One Day numbers, although also not as impressive as his First Class record, literally begs to give this lad a proper go. In 42 games (a decent enough sample size as well, across four seasons i.e.), Fawad manages to average 55.60 per dismissal including two centuries and 10 fifties. This mathematically signifies that every 4th innings he plays, the bloke ends up scoring fifty or more and converts one in every five of these into a ton without fail. That is almost gold dust for a team like Pakistan that more often than not struggles to play out their full quota of deliveries.

Over the years I’ve heard many folks complain that the Fawad even though, unjustly ousted, is now heading towards the latter part of his cricketing career and while this may be a valid concern we have to understand that Fawad is one of the fittest individuals (a rarity in itself) in the Pakistan domestic circuit at the moment. With regards to how old he is, let us also not forget that Hafeez (36 officially) and Malik (35 officially) are both valid contributing members of the team and as per reports are touted to play until 2019 Word Cup, which would make them 38 and 37 respectively at the time of the tournament.

Misbah was reintroduced to save Pakistan cricket at the mature age of 36 and while I am in no measure comparing the two individuals, Fawad, who is officially 31 years old can become an integral part of the team (tests, and ODIs; ad hoc basis) if only the management and the Pakistan selection committee show their trust in his abilities and the numbers he has accumulated for the last four seasons, you can’t fluke your way across a hundred games.

Just to further shed light on the perspective of age Salman Butt (32 years) Wahab Riaz (32 years), Kamran Akmal (35 years) all are either part of, looking to be a part of or had been a part of the national team in the recent past and all three of them do not hold a candle in comparison to how Fawad has performed domestically AND INTERNATIONALLY as well.

Furthermore, many folks forget that Fawad is a seasoned international that has represented Pakistan in the past and unlike his competing peers he has an extremely favorable record as well. This moot argument that somehow the lad will be ‘found out’ is as bogus as it can get since factually Fawad debuted around 2007 and has played almost 40 odd games across three formats while averaging more than 40+ in two of them. Take a look at this:

View attachment 75896

Tried and Tested ‘seniors’ would undoubtedly kill for these dream international numbers yet after only half a good season well call them on the basis of ‘performance’ ignoring that for fifteen years these same seniors can’t properly put bat on ball and putting a blind eye on the only individual who is making heaps of runs in domestic and has a more than healthy past international record as well.

Azhar Ali (Pakistan best Test Batsman) is officially 32 years old, a year older than Fawad while Asad Shafiq (A vital batting cog) and Sarfraz the standing skipper are only 100 days and year younger than Fawad respectively. Pakistani coaching and managerial staff should seize this opportunity to introduce someone who might play the vital Misbah role (batting wise) that is required in that middle order now and with Micky hinting at Osman Sallahuddin ready to open along with Sami, a middle order (hypothetically) consisting of Azhar, Asad, Fawad, Babar and Sarfraz would be a lot more secure than having flashy one tour wonders in the playing XI.

Before I conclude this piece, I would also like to point out that to Fawad’s credit the guy has never lashed out on Pakistan management for his continued absence from the field, even after scoring these many runs in first class cricket. He is the true embodiment of how a professional athlete should keep on persevering, even when the odds are stacked against you, and focus on performing and silencing critics on the field. I just sincerely hope that this piece would help (even if it’s a drop in the bucket) to shedding light on the injustice happening to one of our premier domestic batsmen in the country and someone who can most definitely help Pakistan win games on the field.

P.S. The domestic numbers relevant to the resource provided above can be found on the main Pakistan Cricket Board’s website and from other open source online resources as well. Anybody interested in seeing the full bit can contact me and I’ll be happy to forward you the links as needed.

Thank You for reading this in its entirety and here’s to hoping Fawad makes a successful return to national colors!

Great post!

Fawad should be in the test team now at no. 4.

I am not too sure if you've read the OP or not (completely i.e.) but if you had I am mightly surprised that you're still bringing this up, as it was specifically addressed in the piece.

This thread isn't Fawad vs anyone else, this is just something I felt needed to be addressed impartially and based on objective facts rather than if an XYZ batsman can play in the V or not type of scenario.

I'd love to discuss a Salman Butt vs Fawad Alam comparison but unfortuntely the thread is not related to such but even if it did, I am 97% sure that argument would not go nicely for Salman Butt fans. (The 3% uncertainity is the statistical margin of error, I usually do this to not make my claims sound like Absolute facts, after all I am a numbers guy :) )
You are damned by your own figures.

Fawad Alam has only scored 6 First Class centuries across the last four seasons, in 38 innings.

Salman Butt scored 4 last season alone, in 16 innings. Butt scored as many centuries in a single important match - the QEA Final - as Fawad Alam has in the last two seasons, in 17 matches.

I repeat, Salman Butt scored as many centuries in the QEA Final as Fawad has in the last two seasons.

There is a reason why by mid-2010 one was the captain of Pakistan while the other had been dropped from the squad. Salman Butt is one of Pakistan's top two or three long-form batsmen. Fawad Alam scored less runs last season than Hammad Azam.

neglecting him for the mediocre shafiq for 7 years has been one of the biggest blunder and injustice in history of pakistan cricket

Fawad Alam has only scored 6 First Class centuries across the last four seasons, in 38 innings.

Salman Butt scored 4 last season alone, in 16 innings. Butt scored as many centuries in a single important match - the QEA Final - as Fawad Alam has in the last two seasons, in 17 matches.

I repeat, Salman Butt scored as many centuries in the QEA Final as Fawad has in the last two seasons.

There is a reason why by mid-2010 one was the captain of Pakistan while the other had been dropped from the squad. Salman Butt is one of Pakistan's top two or three long-form batsmen. Fawad Alam scored less runs last season than Hammad Azam.

I know it stings that Salman Butt will undoubtedly never see the light of day in international cricket (and rightly so) but as I've said earlier, this thread is not a Salman vs Fawad thread. If you are so inclined on highlighting the genuis i.e. Salman Butt then please go ahead and create a thread and I'll show you how a coherent objective narrative might diminish the irrlevency of your argument.

I am not too sure the Hamad Azam reference here but good luck to your employer and whoever you might be charading for. God Bless!!

Mid 2010 he was the only choice available. All the seniors like YK and Yousuf were out. Don't think Malik wanted captaincy. Hence the choices were Farhat or Butt. The rest were too new to the team like Azhar, Amin, Zulq etc. So I wouldn't say a huge achievement. Was still averaging around 30 in 2009/2010 nothing changed.

Hammad Azam actually has been doing better in domestic of late, though people have stopped hyping him anymore.

Butt did outperform Fawad in domestic of late, but I don't agree with the statement for Butt that you said. Butt still wasn't performing even then. He literally only performed against Australia whatever the time period. Makes no sense, but that's what happened. Maybe you've watched him mostly against Australia where he looked decent, but against other sides he was damn awful.

I know it stings that Salman Butt will undoubtedly never see the light of day in international cricket (and rightly so) but as I've said earlier, this thread is not a Salman vs Fawad thread. If you are so inclined on highlighting the genuis i.e. Salman Butt then please go ahead and create a thread and I'll show you how a coherent objective narrative might diminish the irrlevency of your argument!
Good.

I don't want Salman Butt back - he's too old.

I will tolerate a maximum of one batsman aged 32-34 in my Test team - that's Azhar Ali, and if absolutely necessary another one aged 30 or 31 - and that's Asad Shafiq.

I'm aware that Misbah served a diplomatic purpose in removing the stench of fixing, but it was a terrible idea playing two geriatric has-beens at Numbers 4 and 5, and their output outside Asia was a bad joke which caused endless unnecessary defeats.

And now you want to clone them, and extend the misery!

At least Younis Khan was a genuine international Class batsman until about 2009. And Misbah was a borderline international class one.

But Fawad Alam never was, neither was Mohammad Hafeez, and neither was Shoaib Malik. Selecting them as token geriatrics for largely cultural rather than cricketing reasons (respect of elders) is a terrible, terrible idea.

All three have techniques which are absurdly flawed.

Great read!

The selectors have let him down in the past and he deserved a much longer rope.

As of right now, I'm not sure he deserves to be the first name to deserve selection. I'd put Usman Salahuddin ahead of him.

Il say this time and time again, fawad alam cannot play quality pace, he does not have the technique to do so, very good player of spin but the aussies in uae exposed him big time

If Mickey reads Pakpassion, plz tag him here. SOmeone signup Inzi on Pakpassion and let him read this.

I agree with the opening poster.
Fawad should be given a long run in the test side.

If Mickey reads Pakpassion, plz tag him here. SOmeone signup Inzi on Pakpassion and let him read this.

People want Fawad Alam for scoring TWO centuries in SEVENTEEN domestic First Class matches in the last two years since he reached the age of thirty.

No offence, but his credentials for Test selection are absolutely pathetic.

Last season the much-derided Umar Akmal played TWO First Class matches in which he scored 1 century and 2 fifties.

Fawad Alam played more than four times as many matches to achieve the same number of centuries and only one extra fifty.

Last edited:
Excellent post . Deserves to be in the team and never deserved to be kicked out. Should be a direct swap with Misbah.

Totally Agreed Brother

Excellent post . Deserves to be in the team and never deserved to be kicked out. Should be a direct swap with Misbah.

We need someone to play that stabalizing role in the middle and the most promising candidate at the moment to do so is Fawad. We play 90% of our matches in UAE or Asian conditions so it would be a sensible approach indeed to bring someone along who, in the Misbah mold, can provide that same effect.

I will only ask one question:

On his most recent return to the national team, what was his average?

Thing is at this moment he doesn't have a place in the team. Especially when you have a modern thinking captain like sarfaraz who believes in blooding youngsters and will most likely experiment with new faces at that position.

I was his big fan in 2010-2014 era mainly because of his strike rotation which was the best of all of the other over-rated youngster batsmen we have had in the past decade and couldn't understand why he wasn't in our test team.

His game was so suited for test cricket. He would have been a gem of a middle order batsmen.

People want Fawad Alam for scoring TWO centuries in SEVENTEEN domestic First Class matches in the last two years since he reached the age of thirty.

No offence, but his credentials for Test selection are absolutely pathetic.

Last season the much-derided Umar Akmal played TWO First Class matches in which he scored 1 century and 2 fifties.

Fawad Alam played more than four times as many matches to achieve the same number of centuries and only one extra fifty.

Not basing my views on domestic performances but the few times he played for Pakistan.

Great post and I've been a Fawad fan, his mistreatment has been shocking and [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] while I agree with your POV at present to an extent you can't deny the man has been treated unfairly when he was having the best FC seasons of his life. I'd select Fawad 10 times out of 10 and not the mentally challenged Umar Akmal if it came to it though.

I think the ship may have sailed with Fawad, he has been busting his behind on the domestic circuit for too long and there's only so much you can take when you're repeatedly ignored; I feel the desire is no longer there and he probably would have lost a step but that's natural the older you get.

Player A averages 50 across 10 innings with 3 centuries (last one being 200 on a flat track). Player B averages 50 across 10 innings with no centuries. Who is more consistent?

Using number of centuries to judge a batsman's caliber is as criminal as using the number of 5-wicket hauls for a bowler's. Pakistan has a habit of getting out on sub 150 scores. Under these circumstances, you need someone who is consistent, along with others who can score big. Neither Babar nor Asad is consistent, so inclusion of Fawad, Haris and Usman is necessary for Pakistan's test cricket to flourish.

Good effort but don't think he is or was cut out for intl cricket outside Asia.

Still deserved a chance though, but I think that ship has sailed and we should build for the future.

Very good post bro! I wish someone in the Pakistan management would read this. He definitely should be in the next test squad but I am not holding my breath for that to happen

far and away the most prolific domestic batsmen in Pakistan cricket history

its unfortunate that he never got a true run because of personal agendas in the management

its amazing how much he's controlled his emotions too. Typical Pakistani cricketer in his position would have held half-a-dozen press conferences and pressured his way into the team

Good.

I will tolerate a maximum of one batsman aged 32-34 in my Test team - that's Azhar Ali, and if absolutely necessary another one aged 30 or 31 - and that's Asad Shafiq.

I'm aware that Misbah served a diplomatic purpose in removing the stench of fixing, but it was a terrible idea playing two geriatric has-beens at Numbers 4 and 5, and their output outside Asia was a bad joke which caused endless unnecessary defeats.

And now you want to clone them, and extend the misery!.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] in the South Africa quotas thread your ideal XI contained:

3 x 34 year olds, 2 x 33 year olds, 2 x 32 year olds and a 30 year old.

So if it's good enough for South Africa then why not for Pakistan?

This proposal of restricting the number of 30 year+ players is ridiculous.

If it wasn't for Younis and Misbah Pakistan would never have reached number one in the test rankings.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...based-selection-is-killing-South-Africa/page3

Shouldn't have been dropped in 2009, especially given the players who were selected ahead of him.

We gave so much allowance to inferior players like Imran Farhat, Khurrum Manzoor and Faisal Iqbal yet were utterly ruthless in dropping Fawad Alam, whose output has been higher and more consistent than many of his peers, at the first sign of failure.

Great post!

Fawad should be in the test team now at no. 4.

He played around 10 FC matches this past season and only batted at #4 once or twice.

He even played in the Grade II trophy and it was the same story. Usually bats at 5 or 6.

POTW stuff

It took Fawad just 2 matches to score an ODI 100 on his comeback in 2014 which Misbah could not manage once in his 160 games ODI career tells the story how harshly he has been treated.

Fawad should have been a regular from 2011 to 2015 WC. It is unbelievable he was dropped to accommodate the likes of Younis and Asad in ODIs.

From 2010 onwards, these are the stats of people who played ahead of him (including only middle order batsmen):
Umar Akmal: 106 @ 33.74 average
Asad Shafiq: 20 @ 26.74 average
Younis Khan: 68 @ 25.85 average
Sohaib Maqsood: 26 @ 31.95 average
Shoaib Malik: 65 @ 36.73 average
<b>Fawad Alam: 24 @39.78 average</b>

Somebody needs to answer why was Fawad dropped from the 2015 WC squad when he averaged 65 in 2014.

Mohammad Aamir has scored more runs that Umar Akmal in ODIs in the last 2 years. What is your point?

Yes, Butt with a mighty average of 30 after 33 tests was a far superior batsman. Here are his averages before he was made captain in 2010:

2006: 18
2007: 27
2009: 30

What a world beater!

Have only read some parts of OP but I agree with the premise.

One should always give more weight to the output than aesthetics. Unfortunately, this is not the case with PCB and some of our fellow posters who pass the verdict on players like Fawad or Fakhar, declaring that they are not "talented"!

Fawad was seriously hard done by PCB and considering the pedestrians we have been selecting over the years, his non-selection, when put in perspective, looks even more ludicrous.

Mohammad Aamir has scored more runs that Umar Akmal in ODIs in the last 2 years. What is your point?

Yes, Butt with a mighty average of 30 after 33 tests was a far superior batsman. Here are his averages before he was made captain in 2010:

2006: 18
2007: 27
2009: 30

What a world beater!

One of my biggest issues with Butt that we didn't gain much from having him in the team. Sure the Australia performances were nice, but we lost regardless of what he did there. But when we needed him to perform where we had a chance of winning and theoretically should be easier than Australia he went missing. To put it into perspective, Butt's average in won or drawn games is still 30. Azhar Ali's in comparison is 58. Even Hafeez averaged 47, which while is a below average test player, has contributed more than Butt.

I never agree with Junaids going on about the team losing every single test in Australia and Butt would have made the difference. We lost every single test with Butt too in Aus, and not only that his fielding was shocking and ran his partners out with no secondary skill with the ball. Pakistan never felt stronger with having Butt in the side, nor was he dependable in any way, I can't recall a single time where he was consistent in scoring.

There's no evidence he was improving as a batsman either. He always had the technique, class to succeed. He often got himself out, poor shot selection, lazy running, gifted his wicket. Never really fought it out. These things never changed even towards the end of his career. Even in the test we won against his favourite opponents Aus, he went missing nervous as hell chasing the second innings when Azhar and Farhat chased it out. In sydney didn't perform in the second innings when we were chasing 150 or so despite being in great form. Yet when aus posted 500, he got his century (though ran out yousuf and Umar Akmal to get it) to lead us to a respectable loss. His performances just never really mattered.

Really was substandard in everything, poor batsman, poor runner, poor fielder and no bowling. Didn't even try to redeem his below par batting in any way. Never really struck me as a player who gave his full effort or fight it out for the benefit of the team. Then on top of that was ready to fix too. You'd think if you were underperforming in every discipline of cricket, you wouldn't have the gall to drag the team down even further by fixing on top of it lol.

Last edited:
Every time I think about this it makes me sad that the guy who keeps scoring runs is being ignored like he is nobody. On the other hand the so called "talented gifted out the world UA" was given unlimited chances. The bias towards Fawad Alam is just sad... sad state of our cricket. This guy should have been part of the 2015 Worldcup he was scoring runs with a 90+ strike rate..now people ll come and say he can't hit sixes and boundaries and not enough power and not flashy...I say all this is nonsense I don't care if he bats by standing behind the stumps or any awkward way there is possible. As long as he is getting runs he should be part of pak Team but I am afraid this ll never happen. On top of this he never came out and did a press conference about this injustice. On the other hand people like "TALENTED UA" cry about not given enough chances...makes you wonder where have this went wrong...I say PCB is being biased.. Just my point of view.

Good.

And now you want to clone them, and extend the misery!

At least Younis Khan was a genuine international Class batsman until about 2009. And Misbah was a borderline international class one.

But Fawad Alam never was, neither was Mohammad Hafeez, and neither was Shoaib Malik. Selecting them as token geriatrics for largely cultural rather than cricketing reasons (respect of elders) is a terrible, terrible idea.

All three have techniques which are absurdly flawed.

Thankfully no one cares what you tolerate, or we would not have Hasan Ali playing for us.

I am glad you brought up Butt though

Butt Averages 41 in FC and 30 in Internationals, with 3 centuries in 33 Tests
Fawad Averages 56 in FC and 41+ in Internationals, with 1 century in 3 Tests

Anyone who would rather have Butt than Fawwad in the side is delusional.

Seasonal form is one thing, class another.

Yeah his domestic track records begs a longer look in International cricket. He's even done well in the 3 test matches he has played so far. I'd like to see him and Haris Sohail replace Younis and Misbah in the batting order. The rest can remain the same with either Sami Aslam or Shehzad opening with Azhar.

Back