"The mindset of both PCB and the team management was to draw this series" : Shoaib Akhtar

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Australia produced an emphatic performance on Day 5 of the final Test against Pakistan to clinch the three-match series 1-0 in Lahore. Setting up a 351-run target for the hosts to win, Australia bowled Pakistan out on 235, with spinner Nathan Lyon taking a five-wicket haul (5/83). The hosts suffered a middle-order collapse during the second session of the final day, as Pat Cummins was eventually rewarded for a brave declaration call on Day 4.

Following the series loss, the Pakistan fans were critical of the side as well as the Pakistan Cricket Board for being defensive in their approach throughout the series. The pitch conditions in the first two matches in Rawalpindi and Karachi drew significant scrutiny from the cricket fraternity; although Pakistan did make a terrific fightback on the final day of the second Test to salvage a draw.

Former Pakistan speedster Shoaib Akhtar lashed out at the PCB and the team management for their lackluster approach in the series, while praising Cummins and co. for being “brave.”

“Absolutely disappointing series, this. Absolute nonsense. The mindset of both, the Pakistan Cricket Board and probably the team management was to draw this series. Neither they should win, nor us; just end this series in a draw,” Akhtar said on his official YouTube channel.

“But hats off to Australians. I'm genuinely happy for them. This is not their home, none of these players played in Pakistan before; they came here and play brave cricket. The bowlers didn't know when the ball reverses in such conditions but both, Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins put in the hard hours to learn the skills of the trade here. Nathan Lyon, who hasn't toured Pakistan yet, took a five-wicket haul.”

Further criticising the PCB, Akhtar said that there needs to be a change of personnel in the higher decision-making roles.

“See, when you are lacking courage and only trying to escape, the results are like this. They came here after 24 years and they expected you to prepare good wickets. But you didn't do that. You tried to wear them down. The opposite has happened. It's the wrong approach, wrong mindset. We should bring in people who are not mediocre and take right decisions. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen in Pakistan,” Akhtar said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...series-loss-to-australia-101648259511361.html

Australian mentality is to win, Pakistani mentality is to not lose.

This is the reason they have 5 world cups and we have won only 1. They play to win, we play to not fail.

It is only downhill from here. We will never improve because we are a gutless, talentless and a meek outfit.

Australia produced an emphatic performance on Day 5 of the final Test against Pakistan to clinch the three-match series 1-0 in Lahore. Setting up a 351-run target for the hosts to win, Australia bowled Pakistan out on 235, with spinner Nathan Lyon taking a five-wicket haul (5/83). The hosts suffered a middle-order collapse during the second session of the final day, as Pat Cummins was eventually rewarded for a brave declaration call on Day 4.

Following the series loss, the Pakistan fans were critical of the side as well as the Pakistan Cricket Board for being defensive in their approach throughout the series. The pitch conditions in the first two matches in Rawalpindi and Karachi drew significant scrutiny from the cricket fraternity; although Pakistan did make a terrific fightback on the final day of the second Test to salvage a draw.

Former Pakistan speedster Shoaib Akhtar lashed out at the PCB and the team management for their lackluster approach in the series, while praising Cummins and co. for being “brave.”

“Absolutely disappointing series, this. Absolute nonsense.
The mindset of both, the Pakistan Cricket Board and probably the team management was to draw this series
. Neither they should win, nor us; just end this series in a draw,” Akhtar said on his official YouTube channel.

“But hats off to Australians. I'm genuinely happy for them. This is not their home, none of these players played in Pakistan before; they came here and play brave cricket. The bowlers didn't know when the ball reverses in such conditions but both, Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins put in the hard hours to learn the skills of the trade here. Nathan Lyon, who hasn't toured Pakistan yet, took a five-wicket haul.”

Further criticising the PCB, Akhtar said that there needs to be a change of personnel in the higher decision-making roles.

“See, when you are lacking courage and only trying to escape, the results are like this. They came here after 24 years and they expected you to prepare good wickets. But you didn't do that. You tried to wear them down. The opposite has happened. It's the wrong approach, wrong mindset. We should bring in people who are not mediocre and take right decisions. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen in Pakistan,” Akhtar said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...series-loss-to-australia-101648259511361.html

Fear of failure, defensive mindset. Previously thought it was only the mindset of players and team management by this time it shows that it starts from the board itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Akhtar is spot on regarding the negative and defensive attitude of PCB and the team management.

15 days of Test cricket of which Australia dominated most of them.

We did lose two crucial tosses not that there should be any execuses

Imam eating so many balls on 5th day 1st session was not because of toss factor. He shut the door for win and when you play with such pathetic mind you do not deserve to win. Aussies gave Pakistan the best chance to win the series.

But Babar thinks that Pak dominated Aus in 2 test matches. Poor batting (soft dismissals) on day 5 last session which resulted in loss otherwise Pak would have won the series.

1st inns bundling is not caused by the toss, in the same pitch , same day Aus is batting at 4 RPO losing less wickets to put a target...

Imam , Azhar and Rizwan blow hot and cold.. Fawad with his stance was non-existent

Akhtar adding salt to wounds nonetheless it would have unjust Aus had lost to this average lot seriously club cricket level spinners rookie pacers nonexistent all rounders snail paced openers Aus rightly won

But Babar thinks that Pak dominated Aus in 2 test matches. Poor batting (soft dismissals) on day 5 last session which resulted in loss otherwise Pak would have won the series.

They couldn’t bowl Australia out in 10 days forget dominating we were like minnows at home even Zimbabwe would’ve shown more.

They couldn’t bowl Australia out in 10 days forget dominating we were like minnows at home even Zimbabwe would’ve shown more.

When i was in my teenage years, i wanted India to win at any cost. Even if India wins on a rank turner i would celebrate. Now, grown up i want to see winning intent from my team more than anything. Its sad to see Pakistan's defeatist mentality towards test cricket. Its criminal how Babar is treated with kid gloves while everyone else is being blamed. Sometimes, i feel Babar is a carefully manufactured media PR personality. He has not set cricket world on fire to get such high praise from commentators all the time. Virat in his age was winning matches. If not now, when will Babar win matches on his own?

It starts at the top. This is why we need a foreign coach who challenges this mindset of taking it easy all the time. We need Mickey back.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i was in my teenage years, i wanted India to win at any cost. Even if India wins on a rank turner i would celebrate. Now, grown up i want to see winning intent from my team more than anything. Its sad to see Pakistan's defeatist mentality towards test cricket. Its criminal how Babar is treated with kid gloves while everyone else is being blamed. Sometimes, i feel Babar is a carefully manufactured media PR personality. He has not set cricket world on fire to get such high praise from commentators all the time. Virat in his age was winning matches. If not now, when will Babar win matches on his own?
Iam sick of babar getting so much praise in this series while batting. Even when he defended a ball they all praising like they never seen defense shot in their life. Every one knows he is a good batsmen but this overboard seems as PR.

Shoaib is right. It felt like that from day 1 of 1st Test.

Pakistan seemed like they were afraid to lose.

Shoaib is spot on. When PCB coward chairmen was giving stupid statements after 1st test in pindi and babars negative tactics all series, they deserved defeat.

Spot on from Akhtar. This has to be one of the most embarrassing series for Pakistan. Totally spoiled the hype, the fun and excitement around this series.

This current Australian team is nowhere near the levels of previous Aussie teams.

To be scared to play against them and worry about the types of pitches, to play in such a negative manner was nothing short of embarrassing.

This current Australian team is nowhere near the levels of previous Aussie teams.

To be scared to play against them and worry about the types of pitches, to play in such a negative manner was nothing short of embarrassing.

1) Aussies recent record in Asia before this series was shambolic
2) This was Australias 1st away series in over 2 years

with that in mind the pitches and cowardice negative mindset by pakistan was even more surprising.

id rather they lost 2-1 having a go on surfaces like the SA series, instead they showed no faith in the team or resources they had. That wont change under babar as he clear is scared to make tough selection decisions.

Honestly, I am not even looking forward to the ODI/T20 series. For me, test series was the most iconic part of this tour and PCB/Co totally ruined it.

Honestly, I am not even looking forward to the ODI/T20 series. For me, test series was the most iconic part of this tour and PCB/Co totally ruined it.

Same feelings, the shambles of a test performance from pakistan has killed any enjoyment of this Aussie tour.

Back