There's a clear problem in how people from ethnic minorities are treated at some stadiums in England

Azeem Rafiq’s allegations are shocking but they are no surprise to many South Asian cricketers

In his article for Isport, Saj explains why Rafiq’s comments will have struck a chord with so many South Asian cricketers at all levels of the game and showed that the notion that cricket is immune from racism is nonsense

PRI_207245793-1-640x360.jpg

The allegations of racism made by former Yorkshire and England Youth captain Azeem Rafiq have shocked the world of cricket and led even the Prime Minister to call for action, but among Britain’s South Asian communities, who have experienced such appalling actions first-hand for many years, there is little surprise.

As one former cricketer from the West Midlands told i: “I’m glad that people are finally waking up and realising what has been going on in English cricket for many years. It’s about time action was taken and people realise what so many South Asian cricketers at all levels have had to put up with. We complained about racist abuse on the field, nothing happened, we complained about racism from people watching matches, it was brushed under the carpet. It was a total farce and a waste of time and why so many talented South Asian cricketers gave up on the sport.”

While sceptics initially doubted Rafiq’s true intentions when he made the allegations against Yorkshire as far back as August 2020, the recent publication of the county’s report into the matter has clearly vindicated the cricketer’s stance and cast a shadow on the game loved and played by millions across all communities in England.

The positive aspect of the saga is the fact that some uncomfortable truths have finally been made public. Many of these have been ignored for too long and it’s about time those involved at the highest levels of English cricket took matters seriously instead of just giving lip service. The time for fancy words, promises and carefully worded statements is long gone; now is the time for action and change.

For years, there have been murmurs of implicit and systemic bias against South Asians in the English game, primarily expressed by those on the wrong end of this treatment. But such grievances have historically been dismissed as only being raised by those who were not deserving of chances and such complaints had been considered sour grapes. Not until Rafiq, a former captain of England Under-19s, started speaking up did the magnitude of the crisis finally get the attention it deserved.

In a survey in January 2021 conducted by the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA), it was found that 58 per cent of black, Asian and minority ethnic professional cricketers said they had experienced or witnessed racism in the sport. The more worrying aspect of the finding was the fact that racial abuse in a lot of cases was disguised as harmless banter, which was the justification given in Yorkshire’s report into the Rafiq affair for not pursuing further action against individuals.

While racial abuse and discrimination may have been discussed at length in other spheres of life in the United Kingdom, the game of cricket – at least according to those living in a fantasy land – had been largely immune to such allegations. That, I’m afraid, is utter rubbish and wishful thinking.

The presence of names such as Ravi Bopara, Saqib Mahmood, Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali are usually touted as glowing examples of the all-inclusive nature of the game in England. However, what is conveniently forgotten is the fact that given the popularity of cricket among ethnic minorities in the UK, the number of cricketers from those backgrounds found at county or national level represents a miniscule fraction of such players. That factor in itself should have rung alarm bells in the corridors of power of English cricket but scant regard has been paid to this aspect by the authorities.

Speaking to i, the parent of a promising South Asian cricketer from London stated that “Asian cricketers have to be twice as good as their counterparts to even get a look in. Too often coaches look at the colour of the skin of a boy and have already made their mind up about him. It’s disheartening as a parent and it’s demoralising for the child because they know they are better than many of their counterparts but are the wrong colour and not given a fair crack of the whip. Whether it’s at trials, matches or practice, Asian cricketers are seen by many as second-class citizens and given limited opportunities to show their talent.”

There is no doubt that many talented British Asian players have not been given a fair chance in the professional game simply due to the colour of their skin or the ethnic origins of their parents. The road to the top has always been a bumpy one for Asians but watching their white counterparts rise up the ladder sometimes with less effort and at times less skill, must be heart-breaking for many budding cricketers. Coupled with the fact that many feel demoralised by the need to perform much better to rise to county or national level than others, one can understand the lack of South Asians at the highest levels of English cricket – after all who would want to put in all that time and effort only to be sent packing?

The reality is that if you are a person of colour, you realise that racism runs through the veins of English cricket – it’s there from school cricket right through to the first-class game, in press boxes, in the stands, at the turnstiles, in boardrooms. The powers that be have to realise before it’s too late that there is no better time than the present to do something about it and eradicate this problem.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/a...ions-south-asian-cricketers-yorkshire-1283910

Azeem Rafiq started a ripple which has turned into a wave now. Good for ethnic minorities. Would like to see Michael Holding say something about that as well and not just taking the knee.

My interaction with the ECB regarding this is continuing.

To be honest, many said I was wasting my time, and at times I have felt it has been a waste of time. But I believe that my words will ring in the ears of ECB for a long time.

This project continues!

Saj speaking to BBC 5 Live regarding racism in English cricket

<iframe width="800" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LKykop8R5yc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The ECB should make Moeen Ali the next white ball captain. He's clearly a good leader, as seen by his record at the domestic level and has the respect of the dressing room. He has also proven himself to be an important, if not integral , part of the white ball teams.

That will be a bigger statement than anything else.

The ECB should make Moeen Ali the next white ball captain. He's clearly a good leader, as seen by his record at the domestic level and has the respect of the dressing room. He has also proven himself to be an important, if not integral , part of the white ball teams.

No.

He should not be made captain as a knee-jerk reaction or we will make England cricket the same joke SA cricket is due to such actions.

<iframe width="800" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LKykop8R5yc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some very sad home truths stated here for all to hear - hoping more action will be taken now to Saj's complaints.

No.

He should not be made captain as a knee-jerk reaction or we will make England cricket the same joke SA cricket is due to such actions.

Not straight away, because Eoin Morgan leads the white ball side and has earned this right by winning the World Cup in 2019. But Moeen Ali would be a good candidate to replace Eoin when he retires (he’s 36).

Buttler is the next skipper. I’m not sure that Moeen automatically gets into the ODI side anyway.

Buttler is the next skipper. I’m not sure that Moeen automatically gets into the ODI side anyway.

Moeen is steadily growing in stature in the white ball formats now, particularly with his bowling, and he can mentally focus just on ODIs/T20s after his retirement from Test cricket (Jos plays all three). Also as we know from the long history of English cricket....making the best player (who in this case is Jos) the captain isn't always the best idea. I would back Moeen as one of the leading candidates to take the white ball captaincy after the next World Cup alongside Jos. Woakesy outside bet.

This will prove nothing It ll just be a case of good PR Inclusivity needs to be achieved at the ground level up

Why when there is so much love and passion for cricket within the asian community are so few asian players actually coming through?

Asians need to be given the same chances without discrimination as their white peers and the mentality at the english clubs needs to change

I remember a few years back Azeem Rafiq was doing a program in Pakistan with that renowned clown of a journalist Mirza Iqbal Baig. Baig was asking demeaning questions like Your u19 team mates are regulars in England team now, why have you been left behind? Were you not good enough? Azeem was visibly perturbed by his tone. He even asked Owais Shah, "Do you think Azeem is talented enough to play cricket at the highest level?" Owais Shah politely replied, He's come through the system, has been playing county cricket, obviously he's good enough.

Not straight away, because Eoin Morgan leads the white ball side and has earned this right by winning the World Cup in 2019. But Moeen Ali would be a good candidate to replace Eoin when he retires (he’s 36).

Moeens only 9 months younger than Morgan and not even a guaranteed selection in the ODI XI, it would be a massive shock if anyone other than Buttler takes over from Morgan.

Eloquent as ever. What show was it?.

They made Nasser Hussain the test captain and still nothing happened. How will Moeen make any difference?

They made Nasser Hussain the test captain and still nothing happened. How will Moeen make any difference?

Big difference as Nasser only has a Muslim name and born in India. His way of life and how he looks etc are more white English.
Moeen is a practising Muslim who looks different to your average white English man.

'Racism is replicated up and down the country'

Rafiq says the problem is not at grassroots, but when players join academies

Rafiq is asked if it would it be fair to say what he has seen at Yorkshire is replicated at other counties.

"Without a shadow of a doubt. This is replicated up and down the country," he says.

"I would like to see it as progress that people feel they can come forward and not be smeared against and discredited."

Rafiq claims that British Asian representation in professional cricket since 2010 has had a drop of nearly 40%.

He says the problem is not at recreational level, because "our community loves the game".

"When we get from 16 to 18 and have to go to the academy from the recreational game, everything I have spoken about is a challenge.

"It seems to be that whenever there is an initiative, it goes right to the grassroots, because that box is already ticked, and they can tell everyone how great it is."

Well it seems that this sort of thing is happening in other parts of the world.

Whilst the Counties did get in touch with me and apologised.

The ECB were nothing short of pathetic in their attitude and how they dealt with my complaints.

Worth noting for future reference that all external security staff (which the majority will be for internationals) at grounds in the UK will be displaying an SIA license that shows their first initial, surname and an ID number. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Seems not much has progressed since this episode.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ECB - racist, incompetent, or both? Here's my experience of dealing with the ECB regarding my press pass for this season <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/OOcNRjcdm0">https://t.co/OOcNRjcdm0</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1657287664507265024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 13, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back