Thoughts on Salman Butt as a Commentator

Do you accept Salman Butt as a commentator?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
We have often noticed him in Urdu commentary for Pakistan cricket; now Salman Butt is part of the commentary list for the Champions One-Day Cup 2024 at Iqbal Stadium. Will this pave the way for him to establish himself as a commentator in the PSL and at the international level?

Y9Ji0iz.png

I accept him as a commentator but he talks like a school headmaster always looking for flaws in players. Extremely negative comments that serve no outdoors. Always crying!

His job is to keep viewers engaged and entertained, not contemplate about how sad and miserable their lives are!

Once you fix matches and sell the country for a few pounds, no one wants to hear you ever again. Whether its butt, amir or asif

Even if they are saying everything correct, it doesnt matter. These three never had any regrets for their action or any remorse

Butt is making his son a cricketer, and he will have a hard time. If butt wants to do damage control than maybe he needs to start showing remorse of his actions

I accept him as a commentator but he talks like a school headmaster always looking for flaws in players. Extremely negative comments that serve no outdoors. Always crying!

His job is to keep viewers engaged and entertained, not contemplate about how sad and miserable their lives are!
I agree with this. Comentators are required to tell the action happening and have discussion in between.

Sadly this is something pakistani commentators have failed to do so. Even our urdu comentators are worse.

Tariq saeed has a good voice, but instead of story telling its the same, bowler dourtay wei aye, aur batsman nay shot mara...

Incomes the bowler running in, batsman plays a shot.

Too much radio commentary.

For all his flaws rameez has, he still much much much better. Only one who comes close or is rising is sikandar bakht

I hope so. But I also think that a brain like him shouldn't just be limited to commentating. He should be in key position for Pakistan Cricket. A lot can be used for benefit from him. You just have to give him a chance.

I'm not the one who doesn't forgive people. Specially when they have been through their punishment.

He’s a miserable dude, must be hard, knowing a mediocre bloke like Misbah inherited his team only because he got greedy, it must be worse when that mediocre bloke developed a cult following and took credit for successes he didn’t really deserve.

Once you fix matches and sell the country for a few pounds, no one wants to hear you ever again. Whether its butt, amir or asif

Even if they are saying everything correct, it doesnt matter. These three never had any regrets for their action or any remorse

Butt is making his son a cricketer, and he will have a hard time. If butt wants to do damage control than maybe he needs to start showing remorse of his actions
What's worse is that I find it rich that a medicore player who was just an okayish opener but had an abundance of techincal flaws feels the need to find flaws in others as if he holds divine judgement rather then fulfilling his role as a commentator which is to entertain.

Salman Butt called Babar "A Champion Batter" during the commentary today.

Agreed???

Salman Butt has to be one of the most well-connected people in Pakistan cricket. To be such a shameless cheat with zero remorse for your actions and still keep finding ways to get back into Pakistan's system is frankly astonishing. I don't recall Mohammad Asif being offered bowling coach gigs. Yet this guy has been offered everything from being a selector, coach, commentator.

Salman Butt clearly reads the game well, speak well and is articulate etc

It is also self-evident that he should be no where near anything to do with Pakistani cricket.

If ( which I think is unlikely) he is remorseful for his actions (and it is clear from the court proceedings outlined in “The Thin White Line” by Nick Greenslade, that he played a pivotal role in the scandal) then at best (and then still arguable) he should coach youth teams in rural regions as part of “giving back”.

It is (yet) another example of a total lack of standards in society.
It is almost inconceivable that he would be allowed to do this in say England or Australia ….though I do note that Azharuddin became president of the Hyderabad Cricket Association which is also astonishing.

Salman Butt provided excellent analysis during the commentary of the Lions vs Stallions match in the Champions One Day Cup 2024. He observed that the bowlers are being impatient, as the pitch is challenging, making it difficult to achieve the ideal length, which is crucial for batting. Nevertheless, we've witnessed bowlers succeeding on both sides.

Last edited:
Ah, Salman Butt.

Will go down in history for achieving a batting average lower than Mohamad Amir's bowling average. Somebody should ask him about that on air.

Butt trying to be over smart in commentary box. Amir & Asif would have had 300+ test wickets & a 2011 World Cup medal if it weren’t for his greed!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Salman Butt via commentary of the Panthers vs Dolphins match in the Champions One Day Cup 2024:

"This is the 'Champions Cup' not the 'Friendship Cup', the batters need to be tested with the short ball."

Best commentator in Pakistan. Speak harsh truth without any fear. He also tells the technical weaknesses of many batters. Might be a good coach too. His past should not dictate his future. He can be a good asset for Pakistan's coaching.

He is improving with experience. Doubt he will ever be accepted as a Pakistani broadcaster on the international circuit given his past.

He is improving with experience. Doubt he will ever be accepted as a Pakistani broadcaster on the international circuit given his past.
InshaAllah he does commentary for Sky Sports in one of the white ball tours

Would love to hear him criticise the English white ball batters for their random choice of shots

not sure about his commentary but his coaching skills are just spot on.. he is street smart and knows this game quite well so i think he must focus to build his career in coaching now.

Unfortunately everyone in Pakistan cricket who can speak English can only speak nonsense

InshaAllah he does commentary for Sky Sports in one of the white ball tours

Would love to hear him criticise the English white ball batters for their random choice of shots

That's not going to happen. Mike Atherton despises Salman Butt with a vengeance and has written many articles criticizing his reintegration into the sport. He will never sit alongside Butt.

That's not going to happen. Mike Atherton despises Salman Butt with a vengeance and has written many articles criticizing his reintegration into the sport. He will never sit alongside Butt.
Of course it will never happen, and nor will he have the cojones to talk like he does in front of English commentators and audience the way he does in Pakistan cricket.

Will he have the guts to say “But was that needed?” In his critical tone if Ben Ducket attempts a reverse sweep and misses…or Jos Butler attempts a ramp that doesn’t go to plan?

I get the impression that the more educated you are in Pakistan (with English language proficiency), the more intellectually devoid you are as well when it comes to modern white ball cricket.

I haven’t come across a single person from Pakistan who speaks well but has a clue about white ball cricket. This includes posters here too.

I get the impression that the more educated you are in Pakistan (with English language proficiency), the more intellectually devoid you are as well when it comes to modern white ball cricket.

I haven’t come across a single person from Pakistan who speaks well but has a clue about white ball cricket. This includes posters here too.
People living in pakistan or overseas pakistani's as well? Because even some overseas Pakistanis can have outdated views. Have met a few

People living in pakistan or overseas pakistani's as well? Because even some overseas Pakistanis can have outdated views. Have met a few
Yeah I mean many of them don’t want to embrace change but they are the ones who don’t really play much cricket. I recon a lot of the playing community understand the need to change but they too are confused of how they want that change

‘Babar is a Champion Batter.’

It may not be that the big bad butt is well connected neccesarily, but like the illuminati and their ‘secret handshake’, there is an unspoken rule in Pakistan if you wish to seem employment:

After that, welcome aboard sir! Happy days!

Ramiz Raja and Misbah come to mind.

Ramiz Raja and Misbah come to mind.
Ramiz Raja
Salman Butt
Aamir Sohail
Ali Younis
The guy who was doing commentary in the Ireland series
Sana Mir
Urooj Mumtaz

You name it bro…the whole lot are CLUELESS on understanding modern standards, how are they to apply them on Pakistan cricket? It’s an absolute famine of understanding how modern cricket is being played!

Guys like Misbah, Hafeez, Waqar and Wasim can speak English but they are not really aristocracy….they’ve just understood how to say a bit through exposure during their playing days having a basic understanding of it.

Ramiz Raja
Salman Butt
Aamir Sohail
Ali Younis
The guy who was doing commentary in the Ireland series
Sana Mir
Urooj Mumtaz

You name it bro…the whole lot are CLUELESS on understanding modern standards, how are they to apply them on Pakistan cricket? It’s an absolute famine of understanding how modern cricket is being played!

Guys like Misbah, Hafeez, Waqar and Wasim can speak English but they are not really aristocracy….they’ve just understood how to say a bit through exposure during their playing days having a basic understanding of it.
Have you ever even listened to butt's commentary? i feel like you just have personal hatred towards him. Btw, what else can we expect from a gu who asks for a dud like Asif Ali to become captain.

He is a good commentator. Not that much experience for him but he is doing a fine job atm in champions cup.

Back