"Time will tell how much I know about cricket and how much I don't know": Mohsin Naqvi

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Mohsin Naqvi Discusses Revamping Domestic Cricket and PCB's Champions Cup Initiative during Press Conference in Lahore:

"In the past, we were unable to alter the domestic structure. Therefore, after extensive discussions, we decided not to modify the domestic structure at all. It is not necessary to change the domestic structure every time someone new comes on board. However, the process following that needs improvement. To achieve this, we decided to organize a Champions Cup PCB. The Champions Cup will be held annually in three formats. We are attempting to make it a constitutional part of our system, ensuring it doesn't become a temporary initiative that starts now and ends after a year or two.

The tournament will feature three formats and five teams, with approximately 30 players from each team, including those on contract. We are also selecting five of our best former players. The process will be completed in the next few days, and we will share all the information with you. We will hand over the teams to them for three years, and they will be responsible for everything. The responsibility of polishing those 30 players will lie with the team's assigned player. Alongside this, there will be a support staff of 10 people, including coaches and other necessary personnel.

The five teams will be supervised by Waqar Younis, who will coordinate everything. The ultimate goal is to provide the best possible players. Waqar Younis will be responsible for everything and will polish the cream to make it ready. If you need any player, you can choose from 8 or 10 options, making it easier for selectors and improving standards. All our international players will participate in this, along with domestic players, creating a pool of 150 players.

We are also providing a women's team and an under-19s team, with 15 teams in each category. 60 players will be mentored by one experienced player. Each high-performance center will be assigned to a team, with one team in Lahore and one in Karachi. This is just the beginning, and our aim is to strengthen our domestic cricket. We will make the best talent available for international selection, bridging the gap that was missing. We are working to complete this."

Waqar Younis, who was also present at the press conference, said:

"Firstly, I would like to thank the PCB chairman for entrusting me with the responsibility of taking this concept forward. The situation of our cricket is evident, and there can be no debate about it. We must improve things because our product is cricket. Stadiums are crucial, but until our product improves and our way of playing improves, I don't think we will move forward. So, I believe this concept is excellent. Involve cricketers, involve big names, and try to involve legends. Give them responsibilities. Because if cricketers don't take care of cricket, it will deteriorate further.

I liked the concept very much when the chairman first mentioned it. I have spoken to some legends about how to take this forward, and we are still in the process of discussing it with them. InshaAllah, in the coming times, as the chairman said, you will be informed of the legends who can take our beautiful game forward. So, the concept is excellent, and I really love it. I hope it works.

We are organizing a tournament with three formats: T20, one-day cricket, and either four-day or five-day cricket. I think it's a good idea, and I hope it works, InshaAllah."

Q: About If the next PCB chairman tries to change it, it will not be easy:

Mohsin Naqvi: "If it's part of the constitution, we can't change it easily. We'd have to update the constitution again, which takes a long time. If a future chairman wants to make changes, they can try. But it won't be simple."

Q: About criteria of selection and liking and disliking culture:

Waqar Younis: "The criteria are simple. I have just have joined. There will be a lot of debate on this. In the coming days, InshaAllah, we will make it better. The question was, will there be more workload, will it be difficult? I think we will have to see how to mix and match it with first-class cricket. And second, liking and disliking, have been part of history. Let's hope it becomes history. We will try to ensure that's why we're bringing in big names, big players, to sort out the issues of liking and disliking. And I hope that, InshaAllah, you will see improvements in the coming days."

Q: About the new advisory committee

Mohsin Naqvi: "I will add two things to that. One thing is that the five players who are coming are also coming as our advisors. So, that's not something that will be a weakness for us. Waqar and those five players will form a good advisory board. You have five of the best players, plus Waqar. I'll give you a small example, yesterday, in the U19 team selection, my team said that Waqar has accepted him. This was the thing that we lacked. The cricketers who should be there, who should be seen once, who should be asked a question, we have completed that. So, when we have those five, six people, we will get good advice."

Q: About women cricket:

Mohsin Naqvi: "I told Sana Mir to come, but I still received a message from her yesterday saying she will be as helpful as possible for Pakistan cricket. We are also bringing in people for women's cricket. They are coming, InshaAllah."

Q: Regarding Mohsin Naqvi's cricket knowledge and his contribution:

Mohsin Naqvi: "Time will tell how much I know about cricket and how much I don't know. And I don't care what people say or don't say. Our work and our team's work, InshaAllah, we will do it and show it. We will deliver."

Last edited:
The thug has no idea and is doing experiments. But PK has become a laboratory for these idiots to throw darts and hope something works

Admin wise

He’s doing a great job
I know you desperate to defend this idiot but If he killed people you would still claim that he is doing a great job. His stupidity and those of his predecessor destroyed an already fragile team. So far we had Sethi and his Zoom coach, we have had the money laundering idiot releasing private calls and this tool came and appointed Wahab and then got rid of him after a paying a fortune.

I know you desperate to defend this idiot but If he killed people you would still claim that he is doing a great job. His stupidity and those of his predecessor destroyed an already fragile team. So far we had Sethi and his Zoom coach, we have had the money laundering idiot releasing private calls and this tool came and appointed Wahab and then got rid of him after a paying a fortune.
What are you on about? I’m talking about his cricket admin work. What’s your issue with it?

All in favour of our cricketers playing more FC cricket. Pakistani FC cricketers are idle for 8 months between the end of the President's Trophy (Feb) and the start of QEA Trophy (Oct) unless they bag a league contract in England or play for the Shaheens.

Champions Cup is the old Pentangular Trophy under a new name so it's not a radical change. However I've a few concerns/suggestions:

1) Three FC competitions are overkill. Ditch the departments and move Quaid-e-Azam Trophy to a double round robin format so each team plays 14 matches. The Champions Cup should feature the best QEA performers alongside our Test players to ensure a high quality competition.

2) Pitches will be seriously worn out without a proper ground rotation policy. We are already without Lahore due to refurbishment while Rawalpindi, Karachi and Multan will host Tests. PCB must enquire about the readiness of smaller venues like Sialkot, Gujranwala, Sheikhupura, Bahawalpur, Hyderabad, Quetta etc.

3) Costs. This new structure will send costs skyrocketing with more expenditure on travel, hotels, groundstaff and officials. Naqvi said they'll find owners for Champions Cup teams to share the burden, but PCB have tried for decades to find sponsors for FC teams with limited success.

PCB's constant domestic revamps and executive changes means there's little appetite from investors and broadcasters. We saw how PCB footed the entire bill for PJL.

4) Coaches. Please hire some overseas coaches otherwise this is old wine in a new bottle. Pakistani coaches barring some exceptions have driven our cricket into the ground with outdated methods, favouritism and ineptitude.

5) Scheduling. Very challenging to play FC cricket between the last week of May and first week of August in Pakistan as proposed unless you want players incinerated in the heat.

Again ditching the departmental events would free up the space required so you could have:

Aug 2024 - National T20 Cup - fun curtain raiser for the domestic season and PSL feeder competition.
Sep 2024 - QEA One Day Cup
Oct 2024 - Champions One Day Cup (featuring best performers of QEA ODC)
Nov-Feb 2025 - Quaid-e-Azam Trophy (double round robin)
Mar-Apr 2025 - 4 Day Champions Cup (featuring best performers of QEA Trophy)
Apr-May 2025 - Pakistan Super League to finish the domestic season

June and July can be reserved for A tours, overseas leagues, or rest.

PCB have the right idea, but the planning seems rushed.

But its relevant. This guy is a thug and murderer. If he wasnt the PCB Chair then its not relevant. But he is and he did the bidding of the mafia.
Please open a new thread on TPS to discuss his political role as it is not appropriate forum for this stuff.

Yes, they went downhill quite fast with Mani and Wasim Khan being puppet controlled.
Both are internationally recognised. Can you name a single administrator that the mafia appointed that is even recognised locally, never mind internationally. I see Naqvi has humiliated guys like you that told us that 6 teams was too few and now we are now down to 5. 🤣🤣

Both are internationally recognised. Can you name a single administrator that the mafia appointed that is even recognised locally, never mind internationally. I see Naqvi has humiliated guys like you that told us that 6 teams was too few and now we are now down to 5. 🤣🤣
yes its all about perception and optics. we know this....

its never about actual work and results

Am not a politics guy, but with all the influence which Naqvi allegedly has, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if both Babar and Rizwan mysteriously disappeared from Pakistan cricket for good, or ended up in jail, hopefully not the same cell because then it’s not really a punishment is it, I bet they wouldn’t last a week without each other, seeing everything has to be done in their pairs.

This is the best of the two worlds ie regional, dept cricket mixed with IKs formula as well.

yes its all about perception and optics. we know this....

its never about actual work and results
Word salad. You @Major and @Mamoon made threads and posts about 6 teams wasn't enough, although it was practically 12, as another 6 were feeder teams. And here we are with 5 teams that will be used to select the national team. What utter humiliation for you guys that once again Kaptaan was proved right and those of us that actually watched the dross served up last year, knew he was right. No doubt a little bit work was needed on the system setup (more FC games at the elite end) but look at this dinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the best of the two worlds ie regional, dept cricket mixed with IKs formula as well.
Why couldn't these depts sponsor the regional teams with naming rights. I tell you why, it's about control. These guys are control freaks

Pakistan is the only team in the world which changes chairmen and coaching staff but players who underperform remain in the team.

So Naqvi has basically repackaged the delegation committee. Waqar is the new Wahab and then there’s five other “legends” who will be part of an advisory board. Honestly, I don’t see what the difference is going to be. We need to create new pitches, expose our players to all sorts of different conditions, schedule needs to be on point etc. if that’s also part of the plan then great, but having Waqar, Inzi, Shoaib etc. leading a champions team isn’t going to do anything. These teams each require their own analyst, physio, support staff, training centers etc. Seems like this is just lipstick on a pig.

Admin wise

He’s doing a great job

What admin work exactly?

I do like:
1) more domestic tournaments
2) getting a foreigner to improve our domestic wickets
3) increasing contracts in domestic
4) Getting rid of Wahab

What I don't like:
1) He's still a politician, probably corrupt as hell
2) Still has too many people in the selection committee
3) Reinstated Babar as captain
4) Makes dumb statements like "support this team and they will preform"

I like the new system

Just need to get rid of department cricket then it will be a perfect system . DC is not giving permanent jobs anymore, I heard it is giving petty salary.

The other thing they need to do is increase the quality of broadcasting in these domestic leagues. Without broadcasting emerging talent will be appreciated

As soon as educated young cricketers start coming through, this low IQ age fudging dross will be moved on and our cricket standards will recover.

Same old story.

Can't wait for the next chairman to come by in a few months and tear down this domestic structure to implement their own. Rinse and repeat

If he was that capable of managing the PCB then there shouldn't be a need to hire someone who understands cricketing matters.

Word salad. You @Major and @Mamoon made threads and posts about 6 teams wasn't enough, although it was practically 12, as another 6 were feeder teams. And here we are with 5 teams that will be used to select the national team. What utter humiliation for you guys that once again Kaptaan was proved right and those of us that actually watched the dross served up last year, knew he was right. No doubt a little bit work was needed on the system setup( more FC games at the elite end) but look at this dinner.
for gods sake have your own opinion for once instead of having a Imran backed opinion all the time

The players are going under the radar. No resignation from captaincy, little accountability. The chairman is constantly in the thick of things.

for gods sake have your own opinion for once instead of having a Imran backed opinion all the time
Why has Naqvi humiliated you guys with a Uturn of mega proportions? Why has gone back to the Kaptaans system and made it a dogs dinner because he didn't understand what Kaptaan wanted. Let's here your opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
How much time does this guy need???

Although we should appreciate what Naqvi sahab has been doing for Pakistan Shaheens and u19 teams with all these tours and series. ALso revival of cricket at grassroots level like in schools and colleges etc.

But the real issue is National team and there is no real change there.

Why does Naqvi need to know cricket? His job is not to play cricket.

The guys whose job it is, are gone into hiding or tourism.

Possibly the best chairman we have ever had in the history of our cricket ,doing everything in his power to take our cricket forward , you guys are blind if you still criticize him. Let's hope he stays on for next 5 years so as to see the result of this new domestic setup.

Changing captain or punishing current players will not make our cricket move forward, new domestic setup and proper coaching and good motivation for younger players with unbiased selection will make our cricket move forward.

Regarding the current players the sad reality is they are still 10-20% better then the ones playing for Shaheen right now so changing them will not make our team un-beatable , we have groom U16 and U19 properly in next few years so that we can have real talented players.

Why does Naqvi need to know cricket? His job is not to play cricket.

The guys whose job it is, are gone into hiding or tourism.
The problem is Naqvi is fine from an internal PCB administration perspective as he prganizes tasks, Manages paperwork, Keeps PCB organised, and is trying to improve administration system and the hiring process.

So he's fine as an HR/Finance/Operating Manager or an admin perspective.

His issue his Babar I scratch your back and you scratch mine and the fact that he makes multiple decisions related to the team itself even though Naqvi knows nothing about cricket and doesn't do any admin work regarding the cricket players on the field themselves.

The PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi said during a media interaction:

“I will fix the issues in Pakistan cricket, God willing.”

“Mark my words, things will not stay the same. A lot is happening in the background.”

“Initially, I believed a minor surgery would suffice, but after this poor performance, it’s clear that a major overhaul is needed. The nation will soon witness substantial changes.”

“Mark my words, things will not stay the same. A lot is happening in the background.”

“Initially, I believed a minor surgery would suffice, but after this poor performance, it’s clear that a major overhaul is needed. The nation will soon witness substantial changes.”
Wasn’t this his exact quote right after the WC?

Sounds like Darth Vader

I am 101% confident Naqvi will bring back the golden age of Pakistan cricket

Actually sounds like Grand admiral thrawn. Vader is a legit man of action

Naqvi making villian speeches lol? Who does he think he is? Thanos?

I literally hope this two faced hypocrite who thinks he is a jack of all trades but is a joke in all facets leave Pakistan cricket alone for good.

I really hope people prevail in Pakistan and tyranny ends in the entire country. Mohsin Naqvi is a reminder of that tyranny.

I literally hope this two faced hypocrite who thinks he is a jack of all trades but is a joke in all facets leave Pakistan cricket alone for good.

I really hope people prevail in Pakistan and tyranny ends in the entire country. Mohsin Naqvi is a reminder of that tyranny.
What can he do? He’s given them the best coaching staff money can buy. What else do you want him to do? Go and bat instead of Babar?

What can he do? He’s given them the best coaching staff money can buy. What else do you want him to do? Go and bat instead of Babar?
Let me tell you couple of things that he did and could do:

1. Bought back Babar as captain - We know that Naqvi was the voice to bring back Babar in the team. As a result the harmony in the team is long gone. The dressing room is super toxic and players feel isolated especially Pashtun ethnic players. No good result comes out when ethnicities are called into question and that is exactly what's happening with Pakistan.

2. Gave too much power to Wahab Riaz - We see him buddying up with Wahab far too frequently whether that be in USA or elsewhere. As a result Wahab recalled his evening tv show guests Imad and Amir back in the team for WC again discrediting merit based selections and creating disharmony.

3. Administration - Currently spending large chunk of PCB's budget to expand his office size in Gaddafi stadium rather than qualitatively spending the budget. For instance the drainage facilities can be improved across the stadiums in Pakistan (look at the series vs Bangladesh we literally lost sessions due to last evening's shower). How about creating a better stand or facility in Rawalpindi or Multan stadium? Why are we spending more money on Gaddafi stadium when the stadium itself has no significant issues unlike other Pakistani stadiums. Let me tell you why, its nothing to do with cricket and everything to do with politics as that would be one of the selling points for PMLN. PMLN loves spending money in Lahore whilst other cities are left to ruins and this is no different.

Big test for this hypocrite is coming up in form of hosting CT 2025. Let's not forget that he is also interior minister of Pakistan which means if there is any person who can convince the outside world that its safe to play in Pakistan then its this idiot who heads that ministry. If being an interior minister he fails to convince teams to travel to Pakistan then not only he is a joke in PCB administration but is also a joke in security situation of Pakistan (which he is look at recent security related issues).

So before anyone comes to his defence look this guy up and let me know one good thing that he had done in his life except for marrying in the correct household.

Let me tell you couple of things that he did and could do:

1. Bought back Babar as captain - We know that Naqvi was the voice to bring back Babar in the team. As a result the harmony in the team is long gone. The dressing room is super toxic and players feel isolated especially Pashtun ethnic players. No good result comes out when ethnicities are called into question and that is exactly what's happening with Pakistan.

2. Gave too much power to Wahab Riaz - We see him buddying up with Wahab far too frequently whether that be in USA or elsewhere. As a result Wahab recalled his evening tv show guests Imad and Amir back in the team for WC again discrediting merit based selections and creating disharmony.

3. Administration - Currently spending large chunk of PCB's budget to expand his office size in Gaddafi stadium rather than qualitatively spending the budget. For instance the drainage facilities can be improved across the stadiums in Pakistan (look at the series vs Bangladesh we literally lost sessions due to last evening's shower). How about creating a better stand or facility in Rawalpindi or Multan stadium? Why are we spending more money on Gaddafi stadium when the stadium itself has no significant issues unlike other Pakistani stadiums. Let me tell you why, its nothing to do with cricket and everything to do with politics as that would be one of the selling points for PMLN. PMLN loves spending money in Lahore whilst other cities are left to ruins and this is no different.

Big test for this hypocrite is coming up in form of hosting CT 2025. Let's not forget that he is also interior minister of Pakistan which means if there is any person who can convince the outside world that its safe to play in Pakistan then its this idiot who heads that ministry. If being an interior minister he fails to convince teams to travel to Pakistan then not only he is a joke in PCB administration but is also a joke in security situation of Pakistan (which he is look at recent security related issues).

So before anyone comes to his defence look this guy up and let me know one good thing that he had done in his life except for marrying in the correct household.
Dude you need to relax. Point 1 is genuine. That was a horrendous move.

The others are all speculative. He’s been a top class administrator, he’s doing whatever he possibly can to give you the best coaching facilities, playing facilities and player welfare.

Dude you need to relax. Point 1 is genuine. That was a horrendous move.

The others are all speculative. He’s been a top class administrator, he’s doing whatever he possibly can to give you the best coaching facilities, playing facilities and player welfare.
Mate you need to rebut the arguments logically and with facts. You say he is a top class administration and I ask you to cite one fact on which you made that assumption. You would struggle to give me an example now.

Actions speak louder than words. Point me to any action he has done in past that is acknowledged by most and then we can talk about his administrative skills.

Back