"To fail, then get up and get going again is something I am used to" : Shan Masood

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Regarded as one of Pakistan's most promising opening batters in the red-ball format, Shan Masood has played 25 Tests since his debut in 2013, scoring 1378 runs which include 4 hundreds and 6 fifties. He is currently the highest run-getter in the County Championship where he is representing Derbyshire.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Shan spoke about what he expects to achieve by playing County Cricket, his renewed partnership at Derbyshire with the former Pakistan Head Coach Mickey Arthur, how he has overcome the challenges he has had to face during his career, his aspirations to do well in the T20 Blast tournament with a view to representing Pakistan in the upcoming T20 World Cup and his views on the standard of County Cricket.

gyoWZKx.png

PakPassion.net: What objectives did you have in mind when you agreed to play for Derbyshire this season?

Shan Masood:
The objectives from my point of view are very simple and that is to play as much cricket as the County season offers. I have been fortunate enough to have been offered a full-season all-format contract where I will get a chance to play plenty of cricket against different teams. This will allow me to test myself under varying conditions and in different formats and basically is a great opportunity to play a lot of cricket. This is very important for me, especially because I haven’t really played too much cricket in the recent past. I had only played red-ball cricket last year in the domestic tournament and not played all the games either and then played in the 7th edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL). So, being in touch with the game and playing a lot is very fulfilling for me.

PakPassion.net: What role did Mickey Arthur have in your move to Derbyshire?

Shan Masood:
When Mickey took on the role of Head of Cricket at Derbyshire, he and I had a coincidental meeting at the airport in Dubai after the ICC T20 World Cup. The way this came about was that I had taken a break around that time due to the tragic loss of my sister and whilst on my way back to Pakistan, I met Mickey who was on his way to Sri Lanka. Funnily enough he said that he was going to contact me anyways in a few days, so I guess this chance meeting accelerated the process as he asked me if I was interested and available to play for Derbyshire this summer. For my part, I was very serious about taking on this opportunity and the whole deal materialized within the next couple of weeks.

bGyo4T0.png

PakPassion.net: What’s it been like to have been reunited with Mickey Arthur at Derbyshire?

Shan Masood:
I suppose there is a feeling of déjà vu! I have always been a fan of Mickey Arthur, but I won’t sugar coat it because we’ve always had hard conversations and had our differences, but everything about that has been honest and truthful. The one thing I have always liked about Mickey is that the doors are never closed as far as he is concerned. That to me is an example of great man-management by him where he handles different people based upon their individual needs and this is one of his most admired qualities. The fact is that you cannot coach an international player because they have learnt to play in a certain way. But what a good coach at this level does is to see how he can get the best out of his players, to get them to improve their levels of performance on a daily basis. He is also able to understand the player as a person and what he needs in terms of improving his game. So, Mickey is brilliant at all this, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with him at Derbyshire and look forward to doing the same for a longer period of time.

PakPassion.net: Would you say that you are in the form of your life given your outstanding batting performances so far?

Shan Masood:
One can never say that they are in the form of their lives because there is always room to improve and get better as a batter. I feel that we do get carried away a bit when we talk about being in good or bad form or being in the middle of a purple patch and so on – there seem to be quite a few terms like these bandied about in cricket nowadays but I don’t look at it that way. All I will say is that I feel that at this time, I am batting well and in a good physical and mental state. Above all I feel that I am also in a good “skill” state and comfortable about myself, and runs are simply a by-product of all these factors. Luckily, I am in that state but now the challenge is to be consistent.

PakPassion.net: You seem to have made good progress across all three formats. What’s the secret behind this?

Shan Masood:
I think the best way to answer this question is to say that I have decided to be as natural as possible in my style of play, regardless of which format I am playing in. By being as responsive to the situations and playing my natural game, I found out that when I am looking to score runs, I am in better positions and better shape, and I am also able to be a lot more consistent. So, I am applying this mindset to all the formats that I have played in the last couple of years and it looks like it’s working. I have gone through a lot in the last couple of years where I have suffered from bad form, was dropped from the side and missed out on a central contract but above all, lost my sister which has been the toughest tragedy we have faced as a family. But, you learn from all the setbacks and tragic events, and it strengthens you and you look at cricket in a different light. So, coming back to this question, whether it’s red or white-ball cricket, my aim is to play the game and play it to the best of my abilities.

PakPassion.net: You seem to be making a conscious effort to play at a higher strike-rate in your recent outings.

Shan Masood:
One thing I have learnt by playing at this level of cricket is that the bowlers are very skilful and know exactly how to bowl in one particular area which happens to be your weakness. And if you are looking to survive all day then one good ball with your name on it could well end your innings at any time. As a batter, your job is to score runs and things become simpler when you look to get runs. That’s what I have tried to do and discovered good ways to score runs in every format that I play in.

zmFwoyU.png

PakPassion.net: Do you feel you are now set to play cricket for Pakistan in all formats?

Shan Masood:
Look, I am not thinking about selection for Pakistan at the moment or taking things for granted or expecting anything to happen in terms of playing for Pakistan. What I am expecting of myself is to play good cricket and to play with freedom and to enjoy the game. To me that’s the most important thing. The fact is that when you let external pressures get to you then you forget to enjoy the pleasures that the game brings. My aim is always to play with freedom whether it’s in domestic, county cricket or eventually in all formats for Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: What motivates you to do your best despite having to deal with a few setbacks in recent times, including a personal tragedy?

Shan Masood:
Well I never thought I was naturally talented, but I have worked my way through the system. I have always been a firm believer in process and gone through the right steps, whether it’s junior, domestic or international level cricket, or even franchise cricket. What I have figured out for myself is that whilst initially I fail at things, I do learn from my mistakes. In a sense, I am a good learner and that’s what keeps me going. To fail, then get up and get going again is something I am used to, and I don’t get disheartened by failures as I see these setbacks as opportunities to learn. I feel that when you battle through setbacks and go through personal tragedies, it helps you come back stronger. I am at a stage of my life where I don’t look at what people think of me, or where they feel I should be going. It’s more about me exploring how far I can go. I love doing that, and I have been doing that since a very young age where I wanted to challenge myself to see whether I could go up another level and that’s what I am doing whilst playing cricket.

PakPassion.net: You talk about enjoying the game but how do you go about doing that at this level of cricket?

Shan Masood:
I feel that you learn a lot from experience. Some people have tough experiences in their personal lives beforehand and learnings from there help them play cricket more freely. The trick is to understand that at the end of the day, this is just a game. This is a game we have loved playing and watching whilst growing up and we should always maintain that childlike joy when it comes to playing cricket. But that is easier said than done because with external pressures, we simply forget to enjoy the game and take it as a life-or-death matter. Yes, it’s important to do well but we as players don’t need to put extra layers of pressure in terms of worrying about our performances. My way is just to enjoy the game and continue learning day-by-day. Of course, I will fail sometimes but I will learn from those mistakes and keep on coming back but most importantly, I will know when to switch on and when to switch off. Remember, every cricketer gives his hundred percent on the field, but the trick is to switch off when the cricket is done for the day.

MxiANCE.jpg

PakPassion.net: Is a place in the Pakistan T20 squad for this year’s World Cup a realistic possibility?

Shan Masood:
Like I have said before, I am not looking too far ahead and of course my performances in the PSL are history so no point delving about the past in that way. The most important thing for me now is to stay in the present as I have a lot of red-ball cricket to play and there is also an opportunity to play a lot of T20 cricket when the T20 Blast tournament starts by the end of May which will be good for me. I am not targeting anything specific in terms of number of runs but as far as this year’s T20 World Cup in Australia is concerned, let me say that any chance to play for Pakistan is an honour and if an opportunity to play in the T20 World Cup comes along, I will be grateful for that.

PakPassion.net: If an opportunity does arise, would you be fine to play in a batting position other than an opener in the Pakistan line-up?

Shan Masood:
I am very flexible in such matters and as I said, there is no bigger honour than to have an opportunity to play for Pakistan. I have played as an opener in domestic cricket and played at the number 3 position in the PSL for Multan Sultans, and also came in at one-down when I played Tests during Mickey Arthur’s time as our Head Coach. I am not bothered about batting at any specific position as I believe that players can fulfil different roles for the team if they are given an adequate amount of opportunity. If I am ever asked to play for Pakistan again, I will consider it an honour and not complain about what batting position I have to bat in.

PakPassion.net: How do you answer those who say that the standard of County Cricket is not as good as it used to be?

Shan Masood:
Cricket is cricket wherever it is played and at the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their opinion. What is important is to note that the globalization of cricket and opportunities for players to play in different countries and events allows them to explore the game in different situations. I am just happy that County Cricket offers me a great opportunity to play lots of cricket and a chance to experience the game in foreign conditions and I am fine with that. So, people are entitled to their opinion, but my view is that a player should play cricket no matter what the standard is. On a personal note, I feel that the standard and professionalism of County Cricket has been pretty decent. It’s like playing in an international environment in terms of the dressing rooms, in terms of the grounds being used at the domestic level. So, from my end, I am very pleased by the quality of cricket on offer here.

TqWkXrg.png

PakPassion.net: What, in your view, is the most challenging aspect of a player’s international career today?

Shan Masood:
I don’t want to sound as if I am complaining about issues but to me the mental challenges that come with playing international cricket are tough ones to bear. As those interested in the game, it is important that we should help our cricketers deal better with the constant scrutiny and pressure which they are subjected to. In today’s world, we as players are scrutinized by everyone but one has to remember that at the end of the day, we are human beings. There needs to be some empathetic element which centres around understanding where the cricketers have come from, how they respond to different situations which they are dealt with. All international cricketers have a lot at stake and above all they have a lot of personal stuff to deal with which isn’t readily visible to others.

I found out the hard way due to a personal tragedy which made me realize that cricket, at the end of the day, is just a game and that your family, health, friends mental well-being are much more important than anything else. Apart from these challenges, living and playing through Covid-19 wasn’t that easy either. The bio-secure bubble was something that I personally found very hard where, like other players, was confined to the hotel space and movements limited to the ground. In cricket it’s important at the end of the day to switch off to produce the best performances which, unfortunately, the bio-secure environment did not provide.

Great interview.

Thanks guys for arranging and completing this.

Interesting to hear from Shan Masood that in his view County Cricket still represents a decent standard.

Good One , Shan Masood the first man to reach 800 runs in this year's County Championship , He surely deserves a chance in upcoming PAK v WI tour.

Fairplay to Shan. He had awful form before being dropped but he's made a solid case for himself here.

There's always that debate about the lack of quality bowling in Country cricket in recent years, but saying that, you can only play against who's in front of you.

Didn't know about his sister's passing. I recall he once said she was a special needs child. I hope he and his family recover from a tragedy of such magnitude and may her soul rest in heavens.

He is a very good example for every regular man (like me) on how to not give up and keep working hard. He has earned respect and has shed the nepotism tag assertively. I hope his star continues to shine.

Sensible interview, guy has really worked on his game and understands it a lot better. His hard work is paying off and PCT should take advantage of his red hot form.

I've criticised him in the past over his technical issues and lack of runs but it has to be said that there aren't too many Pakistani cricketers who work as hard as Shan.

He's a student of the game and takes the game very seriously. He has improved as a batter having worked on his areas of weakness and for that he deserves a lot of credit.

He has improved so much that he could in the future be picked in all formats which nobody could have predicted.

Pakistan’s left-arm opener Shan Masood has said that he will bat at any position for his country if given the opportunity.

Masood has been scoring big in the ongoing County Championship 2022 in England, where he has amassed 826 runs in just seven innings.

Shan may need to play down the order if his name is included shortly, given the success of the opening combination across all formats in the recently finished series with Australia.

Shan remarked that batting in any other position is not a problem for him because he has batted at number three in Tests and for the Multan Sultans.

“I am very flexible in such matters and as I said, there is no bigger honor than to have an opportunity to play for Pakistan. I have played as an opener in domestic cricket and played at the number 3 position in the PSL for Multan Sultans, and also came in at one-down when I played Tests during Mickey Arthur’s time as our Head Coach,” Shan told Pak.Passion.net.

“I am not bothered about batting at any specific position as I believe that players can fulfill different roles for the team if they are given an adequate amount of opportunity. If I am ever asked to play for Pakistan again, I will consider it an honor and not complain about what batting position I have to bat in,” he added.

Masood last played for Pakistan in New Zealand in January 2021. He was named to the squad to face Australia, but Imam-ul-Haq was chosen ahead of him.

https://www.bolnews.com/sports/2022/05/shan-masood-ready-to-bat-for-pakistan-at-any-position/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's been 34 years since a batter last scored 1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ first-class runs before the end of May!<br><br>With one match left in the month, will anyone reach that number in the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LVCountyChamp?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LVCountyChamp</a>? &#55358;&#56596; <a href="https://t.co/OhBwcDlLOc">pic.twitter.com/OhBwcDlLOc</a></p>— LV= Insurance County Championship (@CountyChamp) <a href="https://twitter.com/CountyChamp/status/1526891861901729793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 18, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The fact that he has raked up so many runs in CC shows the low standard of cricket that is currently being played - Pietersen is right after all.

We are talking about a player who has been playing for 9 years but he has failed in about 90% of the innings he has played against quality bowling lineups.

His fans keep telling me that we should not look at the early years of his career because he has been a different player since the South Africa tour in 2019.

However, when you look at his numbers from 2019 onwards, he is averaging 32. That shows how ordinary he is - even in his so-called purple patch, he is producing numbers that are well below the requirement of Test cricket.

The fact that he is averaging 32 in Test cricket during his so-called improved period and averaging 100+ in CC explains why England’s Test team is in the dumps and the players coming through are not performing at a high level.

Masood has a lot of good qualities: he is educated, intelligent and has a solid work ethic.

Unfortunately, none of that matters when you do not have natural ability. People just don’t realize how naturally gifted top level athletes in any sport are. Hard work is extremely important but it complements your natural ability; it will never substitute it.

Masood does not have the ability to be a world class player. As a result, he will never get his game together and he will always be on the brink of completely losing it like he did in New Zealand for example.

The fact that he has raked up so many runs in CC shows the low standard of cricket that is currently being played - Pietersen is right after all.

We are talking about a player who has been playing for 9 years but he has failed in about 90% of the innings he has played against quality bowling lineups.

His fans keep telling me that we should not look at the early years of his career because he has been a different player since the South Africa tour in 2019.

However, when you look at his numbers from 2019 onwards, he is averaging 32. That shows how ordinary he is - even in his so-called purple patch, he is producing numbers that are well below the requirement of Test cricket.

The fact that he is averaging 32 in Test cricket during his so-called improved period and averaging 100+ in CC explains why England’s Test team is in the dumps and the players coming through are not performing at a high level.

Masood has a lot of good qualities: he is educated, intelligent and has a solid work ethic.

Unfortunately, none of that matters when you do not have natural ability. People just don’t realize how naturally gifted top level athletes in any sport are. Hard work is extremely important but it complements your natural ability; it will never substitute it.

Masood does not have the ability to be a world class player. As a result, he will never get his game together and he will always be on the brink of completely losing it like he did in New Zealand for example.

So he is the highest run scorers the entire championship and you're going to give him zero praise or credit. Indian fans truly are insufferable

He deserves credit for an excellent season thus far. But also keep in mind he’s playing division 2 and the bowling standard appears significantly worse than division 1.

He did come up against 2 quality bowlers this latest round since Broad was available and Patterson is the overseas pro. He failed in both innings getting to those two.

Hard work and dedication are great assets but underlying talent can be the limiting factor when you come up against high skill bowling. And that’s the issue with Shan at the international level

Last edited:
He deserves credit for an excellent season thus far. But also keep in mind he’s playing division 2 and the bowling standard appears significantly worse than division 1.

He did come up against 2 quality bowlers this latest round since Broad was available and Patterson is the overseas pro. He failed in both innings getting to those two.

Hard work and dedication are great assets but underlying talent can be the limiting factor when you come up against high skill bowling. And that’s the issue with Shan at the international level

Bit unlucky today being given out for a duck.

Players like Abdullah Shafique and Huraira have a much higher ceiling. It’s time to back them to come good instead of going back to Shan etc.

Players like Abdullah Shafique and Huraira have a much higher ceiling. It’s time to back them to come good instead of going back to Shan etc.

Can't say much for Huraira, but Abdullah has certainly looked promising.

Saying that, any player in form should always he a consideration.

This pretty much puts a stop to any hopes of a playing for Pakistan in the near future for Shan

Babar Azam:

"In the presence of Abdullah Shafique, the place of opener Shan Masood, another polished batter, may be in doubt but our main aim in selecting an individual is the team's interest."

Speaking to Nasser Hussain:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#55357;&#56803; "I'll always admit, I'm still a learning captain"<br><br>Derbyshire Falcons' Shan Masood says County Cricket gives him the opportunity to play regularly and be comfortable as an individual cricket player &#55356;&#57295; <a href="https://t.co/dMRVQ2zQmE">pic.twitter.com/dMRVQ2zQmE</a></p>— Sky Sports Cricket (@SkyCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1530544096028270592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 28, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Babar Azam speaking to the press:

"Shan Masood bats at the top of the order and he has not batted lower down the order. I think it would be unfair with Shan to play him at the fifth or sixth spot, we have an eye on him and will be considered viewing the balance of the side,"

Shan Masood went to school in England, before studying at Durham University. Now at the age of 32, the Pakistani opener is experiencing his first summer in county cricket, playing for Derbyshire.

“It’s been great so far. I’ve admired the county setup ever since I grew up in England and went to University here. It’s a brilliant place to play cricket and improve your game, especially as a batter,” says Masood, who made his debut for Pakistan almost nine years ago.

His stint in the UK has got off to a flyer. With 844 runs across the first six matches in Division Two of the LV= Insurance County Championship, the opener stands clear at the top of the run charts.

A rare failure against Nottinghamshire stopped Masood becoming the first player to score 1000 first-class runs in England before the end of May, since Graeme Hick achieved the feat with Worcestershire in 1988.

As captain of Derbyshire in the Vitality Blast, Masood is excited at the prospect of what lies ahead for the county, working alongside Mickey Arthur.

Arthur, who coached Pakistan between 2016 and 2019, is the head of cricket at Derbyshire.

“Mickey has come in and changed the environment of the dressing room,” Masood said.

“I compare this to the time I captained South Punjab in Pakistan and inherited a very young team that ultimately rubbed their shoulders against the big boys. There’s a lot of similarities at Derbyshire, in terms of a team that’s growing in stature and where players are staking their claims.”

As skipper of South Punjab, Mahood led a youthful outfit to the final of the National T20 Cup last year, where they fell short against a Khyber Pakhtunkhwa side containing the likes of experienced Pakistani internationals like Mohammed Rizwan, Shoaib Malik, Mohammed Hafeez, Wahab Riaz and Shaheen Shah Afridi.

“I’m hoping for more of the same here,” Masood said.

“It’s exciting but you also have to be patient and remember that when you have a team like this, results will always be the by-product. They’ll never be the priority at the start. It’s more about the brand of cricket that we’re playing.

“If we had dealt with the pressure moments better, we may be higher up the table but that’s all part of the process.”

Derbyshire began their campaign in encouraging fashion, winning two out of their first three matches of the Vitality Blast, before two successive defeats.

Masood insists that the quality of the competition provides a “stern test”.

Alex Hales’ unbeaten 91 fired Notts Outlaws to victory last Friday night, just a couple of days after a destructive 75 from Liam Livingstone, fresh from the IPL, saw Lancashire Lightning defeat the Falcons.

“The Blast is such a high-quality competition. You can see why England have the best white-ball team in the world, especially when it comes to striking the ball,” Masood said.

“We’ve played against some good teams and when you look at the teams on paper, when they’re at full strength, they’re equally as good as some of the franchises.”

Seeing fellow Pakistani players spend time in England on the domestic circuit is also something that pleases the left-hander and Masood wishes that it can open up a route for more to follow.

“I think the T20 World Cup turned a lot of heads and made a difference and that’s what has attracted a lot of counties,” he said.

“The tournament highlighted some world-class players within our setup and the performances of the players that have come over have been high-class.

“And when you speak to other people, they’ve been really impressed.”

He added: “It’s a chance for our guys to come over and help develop the quality of cricket here and in return, they learn better skills and grow as individuals. It’s certainly a very exciting time for Pakistani players.”

Pakistan internationals like Masood, Rizwan, Afridi, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali and others have all played on British shores thus far this season. Ali in fact said in a recent interview with The Guardian that it was the great Wasim Akram who advised him to play county cricket.

Masood made his Pakistan debut in 2013 and as one of the more senior names, he is adamant that the cricketing experience, combined with the living experience in the UK, can only be a good thing.

“I tell the younger guys that even when you’re sitting at home, just coming to England, playing cricket and spending six months independently and being a thorough professional is so important,” he said.

“It’s on us to be good professionals because if we make a good impression, that will create opportunities for yourself and others. That responsibility is on us.

“I look forward to seeing more Pakistani cricketers playing county cricket in the future.”

Judging by the way Masood’s first experience of county cricket is going, it’s fair to say that it is unlikely that it will be his last.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2640952/masood-relishing-leadership-role-in-world-class-vitality-blast

Mohammad Hafeez speaking in an interview:

"We have a product ready in the form of Shan Masood, we should think that a player like him, despite the fact that he is an opener. I am not saying that we should make changes in our top three but for the sake of our team, if we have a product ready, then we shouldn't waste it"

"You should negotiate and give confidence to him and slot him on the fourth position. Even Babar can bat at Number 4. Shan is a technically very solid batsman and has all the shots plus he is very fit. So a player like him who can win matches and score hundreds for the team, then it shouldn't be a problem."

"We shouldn't be experimenting by putting the guy batting at four at eighth spot. If a player who bats at seven then goes onto bat at 3 or 4 at the international level, that is a different scenario."

"I'm not saying that Shadab or Nawaz don't have the ability but for them to bat higher up the order, they need practice for that at the international level. If they are doing the job okay lower down the order, they should stay there."

"Not selecting Shan is extremely unfair and if Sarfaraz is playing good cricket then why should he retire?" Javed Miandad.

Last edited:
Rashid Latif on Shan's non-selection

“In the pre-match press conference, Babar Azam had said that he's not a middle-order batter, he's an opener. But the next day, Haris gets into the middle-order on the basis of his T20 performance. I didn't like it. I actually felt bad"

“On one hand, you're saying that Shan Masood can't play in the middle order. On the other hand, you have a batter, who performed as an opener in PSL in the middle-order. How do you justify that?”

Last edited:
Babar on Shan:

"Too early to say for certain whether he (Shan) will play but we have a tour game in Sri Lanka and we will see how it goes. If we feel Shan's induction suits us, why not select him,' the skipper said.

Derbyshire and the South East Stars have doubled up PCA Player of the Month successes in 2022 with opener Shan Masood winning his second award in three months and Kalea Moore following teammate Aylish Cranstone in being voted a winner.

Masood was identified as one of the top four performers in domestic men’s cricket in June according to the PCA’s Most Valuable Player Rankings. He joined Will Jacks, James Vince, and Wayne Madsen, with a public poll deciding the winner, the Pakistani batter received 73% of the public vote with Vince in second position with 11%.

Stars all-rounder Moore impressed in a short month with a maximum of four fixtures due to the conclusion of the Charlotte Edwards Cup. The 19-year-old was up against her captain Bryony Smith, Georgia Adams and Eve Jones and edged out the 2021 MVP, finishing with 49% of the supporter vote, 7% ahead of Jones.

Masood voted best player in June

Masood scored an incredible 649 runs in June with three Match MVPs to continue his consistent run of form opening the batting.

The 32-year-old has received a call-up to the Pakistan Test squad and travels for international duty off the back of 192 MVP points in a calendar month which leaves him top of the Overall MVP in the race for the £10,000 prize.

“The most important requirement of the game is consistency,” said Masood. “The game is fast and is evolving. People pick up on opposition and they catch you out so there is no time to fall asleep so you always have to evolve.

“To back up my early season form and to win the award again shows the levels of consistency. The most exciting thing from a personal point of view was April was all about the red-ball game but this month was about a heavy fixture list with white and red-ball so by maintaining form and consistency in a month like June was the most satisfying element for me and to finish it with an award makes it most exciting.”

In contention for promotion in the LV= Insurance County Championship and a quarter final in the Vitality Blast to come, Derbyshire have been a team on the rise in 2022 and Masood has enjoyed being part of the early season success and has a nod or two in appreciation to the PCA Player of the Month shortlist.

“A lot of people have liked the look of Derbyshire and the way we have been playing and it all starts with the team. As an individual I like to see myself in the same equation, I want to be a favourite amongst my own fans but also a neutrals favourite, when I go to other grounds I also want them to like me as a player.

“I am grateful in terms of the votes that I have had and it was a month where I saw the shortlist and I was surrounded by three really good players. I think James Vince is probably my favourite player when it comes to watching cricket, as a fan you’d always like him to win.

“Wayne Madsen has had a great season and he has allowed me to play well and I have learnt so much from being around him and he is the goat when it comes to Derbyshire cricket and also county cricket. I hope I can play with him for many years.”

The top run scorer in the Championship across both divisions, the opener has left the county to meet up with the Pakistan squad ahead of their series against Sri Lanka in great form. He is aiming to continue his same approach that has stood him in good stead in 2022 whilst aiming to finish the domestic season on a high.

“I am very excited to be back in the national set-up and the onus is on me to be the same as I have been over here. International cricket shouldn’t change Shan Masood the player or the person, it is still another game of cricket and I think things start getting better when you play every game the same.

“I am grateful for the set-up created by Derbyshire and the county cricket set-up that has allowed me to thrive as a player and I have learnt a lot. I have always considered scoring runs to be a by-product.”

“It is exciting thinking of coming back after the Test series in Sri Lanka and hopefully I can finish the season on a high with an amazing club. The players and staff have allowed me to settle in and make me feel at home by really allowing me to enjoy my cricket so I’m really looking forwards to coming back.”

Babar on Shan:

"Too early to say for certain whether he (Shan) will play but we have a tour game in Sri Lanka and we will see how it goes. If we feel Shan's induction suits us, why not select him,' the skipper said.

They will keep him out, too much of a threat to Babar’s leadership if he is batting well to

Shan will always struggle against quality bowling attacks. He is no threat to babar in any capacity.

No place for Shan in Pakistan's XI for the first Test!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shan Masood:<br><br>PSL 7 - 478 runs (3rd highest), average of 39.83, strike-rate of 138.15<br><br>Vitality Blast - 547 runs (5th highest), average of 45.58, strike rate of 139.89<br><br>List A average of 57.46<br><br>Ignored by the selectors once again<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NEDvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NEDvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiaCup2022?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AsiaCup2022</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1554833981748547584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 3, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shan Masood:<br><br>PSL 7 - 478 runs (3rd highest), average of 39.83, strike-rate of 138.15<br><br>Vitality Blast - 547 runs (5th highest), average of 45.58, strike rate of 139.89<br><br>List A average of 57.46<br><br>Ignored by the selectors once again<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NEDvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NEDvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiaCup2022?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AsiaCup2022</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1554833981748547584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 3, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mohammad Wasim on Shan's non-selection:

"I have said this before that yes Shan has performed well but there is so much competition in our top-order that we don't have a place for him there"

"You cannot compare him to a middle-order batter like Agha Salman because he has given evidence of his utility by performing in the middle-order"

"To experiment at the international level by playing an opener in the middle-order? Well we had a discussion on that but lack of evidence in this aspect does not allow us put an opener in the middle-order slot; If Shan can show that evidence in the upcoming domestic season then we can think about it"

"At the moment the performances of the top-order are in front of you with Imam, Fakhar doing well, and in the way Abdullah is coming up as well then it is their right to be considered first"

If you are going to list his List A average then his List A strike rate should be included as well. It's a measly 82.72 SR which is quite poor.

He has performed amazingly well in domestic past few seasons but Pakistan do have a set top order in LOI and he is not someone who can play big shots to justify playing in the middle order. Who knows, maybe he proves us wrong but it's tougher to try that Internationally when he's never done in domestically and when the skill set isn't quite there for a proper middle order batsmen.

If he proves it domestically then sure, maybe Pakistan can look at him as a #4 option behind Babar but with how much Pakistan top 3 batters eat deliveries, having a middle order that's more induced towards batting at a higher SR & slogging ability for those 4-5-6 spots makes sense.

He is deserving of another shot in Test though at #3 but so are Saud & Kamran.

Guess was not to be and he returns to England to Derbyshire for the remaining season

Guess was not to be and he returns to England to Derbyshire for the remaining season

"finally playing some cricket"

Shan takes a dig.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you <a href="https://twitter.com/DerbyshireCCC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DerbyshireCCC</a> for being so patient and understanding. I look forward to coming back and finally playing some cricket. <a href="https://t.co/wFJCKsTIus">https://t.co/wFJCKsTIus</a></p>— Shan Masood (@shani_official) <a href="https://twitter.com/shani_official/status/1555182458160783360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 4, 2022</a></blockquote>

Let us be happy for Shan.

After years of being outclassed at intl level, he has found a good space for himself in County level 2. He is batting well and can provide some value as leader also for a minnow team like Derbyshire.

Like Pujara, he should look to spend next 3-4 yrs in this setup and at this level of cricket and end career on happy note.

According to reports, Yorkshire have signed Shan Masood as an overseas player for 2023 after the prolific Pakistan batsman turned down multiple contract offers from his current club, Derbyshire.

==

Yorkshire have signed Shan Masood as an overseas player for 2023 after the prolific Pakistan batsman turned down multiple contract offers from his current club, Derbyshire.

Masood captained the Midlands county in the Vitality Blast and finished as fifth top scorer in that competition with 547 runs, highlighting his versatility across formats.

Yorkshire have used four overseas players in Championship cricket in 2022 - Dimuth Karunaratne, Haris Rauf, Dominic Drakes and Shannon Gabriel making 10 appearances between them - and an attraction of Masood’s signing is continuity as he should be available for the full season.

In June, opening batsman Masood became the first player to reach 1,000 first-class runs this season.

Such form which triggered a recall to his country’s Test squad and led to a concerted effort by Yorkshire’s cricket management team of Darren Gough and Ottis Gibson to recruit the 32-year-old left-hander.

They are known to be delighted with the acquisition of not only an outstanding player but a ‘top bloke’ who has impressed with his leadership skills on the county scene.

The Pakistan batsman turned down multiple offers from current club Derbyshire

Yorkshire are expected to announce Masood’s capture in the coming days after Derbyshire confirmed on Friday that he would be moving to a rival county next summer.

Mickey Arthur, Derbyshire’s director of cricket, said: ‘He’s shown the performances I knew he was capable of in county cricket and we’ve been keen to extend his deal since very early on in the season.

‘The contract renewal reflected his performances and value to the club, but ultimately we couldn’t match the offer.

‘Yorkshire set their stall out to bring in Shan, and while it is of course disappointing to lose a player of his calibre, I and everyone here wish him the very best for the future.’

Masood captained Derbyshire in the Vitality Blast and finished as fifth top scorer in that competition, with 547 runs, highlighting his versatility across formats.

Yorkshire have used four overseas players in Championship cricket in 2022 - Dimuth Karunaratne, Haris Rauf, Dominic Drakes and Shannon Gabriel making 10 appearances between them - and an attraction of Masood’s signing is continuity as he should be available for the full season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...deal-Yorkshire-one-overseas-players-2023.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us be happy for Shan.

After years of being outclassed at intl level, he has found a good space for himself in County level 2. He is batting well and can provide some value as leader also for a minnow team like Derbyshire.

Like Pujara, he should look to spend next 3-4 yrs in this setup and at this level of cricket and end career on happy note.

He has worked on his game and is a very different player to the one who played all those games. There is no doubt he has improved in so many aspects and has a fantastic temperament.

With his determination, he will return to international cricket, perhaps in all formats of the game.

I'd have Shan in the Asia Cup squad any day of the week ahead of Khushdil, Asif Ali or Iftikhar and also Fakhar if he doesn't start scoring runs soon.

Continue stacking the runs in national cup and you will a position in odis.

Continue stacking the runs in national cup and you will a position in odis.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">547 runs at an average of 45.58 and at a strike rate of nearly 140 in the T20 Blast. <br><br>2 of his scores are 54 off 36 balls and 53* off 39 balls in the National T20 Cup, yet Shan Masood is not in the Pakistan squad for the Asia Cup <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiaCup2022?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AsiaCup2022</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1565614144367300608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 2, 2022</a></blockquote>

Fantastic boundary catch from Shan playing for Balochistan in the National T20.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/mrwz64" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Shan Masood speaking in presser:

“I did have thoughts that may be I’ll never be able to play for Pakistan but we don’t need to look much further than what happened with my sister last year"

“That’s when I realised what life is and what is its value. After that I’ve always tried to enjoy playing whatever cricket I get to play and obviously it never gets better than playing for your country.”

“It is not about Shan Masood, it is about Pakistan,”

“I’ll play wherever I’m asked to play and if I don’t perform well it will be my own responsibility.

“And even the punishments I’ve endured in the past because of not performing well are my own mistakes and until I’m playing all my mistakes will be my own responsibility.”

“It was a very big stepping stone in terms of me making into the T20 side over there,”

“The PSL was a big step up, performing on that level gives you a lot of confidence then having played the Vitality Blast over there and getting some runs over there was very important to just put my name out there."

“It is one of the experiences I’ll always regard when it comes to my development as a player.”

“That’s how you rectify you mistakes, that’s how you make yourself a better player.”

“They are one of the best white ball sides in the world and they will pose a very good challenge to Pakistan,"

“It’s an exciting time to be a Pakistani players, it’s probably the ideal preparation to play against the best side in the world before the T20 World Cup.”

DAWN

Shan has himself to blame for his axing. He was the blue-eyed boy before Imam, specially in Test cricket, but hasn’t really performed well at international level consistently. It was always one good innings followed by a horrendous patch of bad form.

People here have memories of a goldfish. The same people clamouring for Shan, were calling him all sorts of names a few years ago. Only reason he makes this team is because our supposed best options are Iftikhar and Khushdil, who are bound to fail in the lead-up to the World Cup.

Hard work finally paying off for Shan - debut in 1st T20I today

He is right about the failing part. He has been failing since 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought he was like 20-24 years old, he is 32, what are we doing here? Why can't we have youngsters and groom them for long run.

Nasser Hussain on tv today after the 1st T20I "Shan Masood suddenly comes in at number 4, that makes no sense to me at all him coming into bat with just 5 overs to go. He's not a finisher, he's a top-order batter"

Nasser Hussain on tv today after the 1st T20I "Shan Masood suddenly comes in at number 4, that makes no sense to me at all him coming into bat with just 5 overs to go. He's not a finisher, he's a top-order batter"

Any distant viewer would say that - but the bottom line is he has played there recently and done ok.

I liked what he tried to do today. Faced 7 balls and played high risk high reward shots on 4 of his last balls.
Needs a run of games.

Any distant viewer would say that - but the bottom line is he has played there recently and done ok.

Opened throughout PSL7

Opened most of the time in the T20 Blast

11 25 9 and 0 last few scores in National T20 Cup batting at four.

Why not open Shan with Rizwan and then bring in Babar Azam at 3 or 4 instead, surely that makes more sense from a batting order perspective.

Why not open Shan with Rizwan and then bring in Babar Azam at 3 or 4 instead, surely that makes more sense from a batting order perspective.

The only place where Shan makes sense is outside of the squad. :usman

Pretty ordinary vs England - may surprise us in the final innings

His form is worrying at the moment.

I have a feeling that his spot in the T20 World Cup starting XI will be taken by Fakhar Zaman.

"To fail is something I am used to" : Shan Masood

Corrected.

Sometimes no amount of hardwork and intelligence can make up for lack of talent, quite sad really Shan would have made a great corporate executive sometimes its better not to follow your passion however being token English speaker in our cricketing system his future is set in the comm box.

Sometimes no amount of hardwork and intelligence can make up for lack of talent, quite sad really Shan would have made a great corporate executive sometimes its better not to follow your passion however being token English speaker in our cricketing system his future is set in the comm box.

He will go into coaching I think

Back