Unmukt Chand retires from Indian cricket

They are replicating the Oman model. Get failed cricketers from Ind/Pak and build a team around them.

This is where sami aslam took a poor step, he would have been opening for Pakistan's test team in the tour of Bangladesh, but now he will watch them play.

US cricket can, at best, become a minnow side that may qualify for the WC qualifiers. They are going no further.

That's not the issue here. They're having the Major League Cricket and attracting players from South Asian countries to play for them. How does it help in the long run? What when their investors abandon them when it doesn't make any money? How do they grow the game in the US?

That's not the issue here. They're having the Major League Cricket and attracting players from South Asian countries to play for them. How does it help in the long run? What when their investors abandon them when it doesn't make any money? How do they grow the game in the US?

They can only grow the game if they make it attractive to a considerable segment of the American population. Right now only the South Asian diaspora, the West Indians and a few expats from UK/Australia/NZ find cricket attractive and these segments account barely for about 10-12% of the US population.
One really can't popularise a game in any country by keeping it an expat-only affair. The locals will have to take to it in a big way for it to gain real popularity.

Maybe the can look at formats like T10 or the 100.

The US have some crazy statistic nerds in sports.

Maybe cricket can attack those type of people. These guys measure everything in baseball/basketball.

They can only grow the game if they make it attractive to a considerable segment of the American population. Right now only the South Asian diaspora, the West Indians and a few expats from UK/Australia/NZ find cricket attractive and these segments account barely for about 10-12% of the US population.
Those people's loyalties won't lie with US cricket. Those people that even care for cricket will care for their home country's players. And second/third generation South Asian Americans that may not have any interest in cricket won't even care about the US team.

'Feels more like a vacation' - Unmukt Chand posts a cryptic tweet after being on bench in BBL 2021/22

Former India U-19 captain Unmukt Chand has posted a cryptic tweet after being on the bench for Melbourne Renegades. The first-ever Indian to sign a BBL deal, Unmukt is yet to make his debut in the tournament.

Unmukt Chand created history in November 2021 when he became the first-ever Indian player to sign a deal with a Big Bash League club. The former India U-19 skipper joined Melbourne Renegades and landed in the camp soon after tying the knot. One of the most senior batsmen in the Renegades' camp, Unmukt has yet to get a game this season.

He has been on the bench even as Melbourne has played 11 matches so far and he isn't included in their 13-member squad for their next fixture too. Unmukt has hinted at being dejected with his constant non-inclusion in the playing XI with a cryptic tweet. "Feels more like a vacation. Thanks Melbourne!!" he has written on Twitter.

Following their fixture against Melbourne Stars, Melbourne are scheduled to play 2 more matches and it remains to be seen if he makes it to the final XI or not.

With only 3 wins from 11 matches, the Nic Maddionon-led side is placed at the 6th spot in the points table.

Unmukt has retired from Indian cricket

A former India U-19 World Cup-winning captain, Unmukt had retired from Indian cricket in August 2021. He has now moved to the USA and is enjoying much success there. The right-handed batsman captained Silicon Valley to a title win in Minor League Cricket. He will be part of the Major League too.

During an interview with Hindustan Times in 2021, Unmukt had confirmed that he is open to playing for the USA. He will be eligible for selection in the national team in 2024.

“It is wonderful to be playing alongside cricketers from South Africa, West Indies, Australia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. USA Cricket is growing massively. I want to play for USA but before that, I want to make sure I score lots of runs. I will be eligible to play for USA when I complete 36 months in the country. A bigger platform is for me to establish my credentials first at the BBL and then in the USA Major T20 League to be held in 2022," Unmukt said.

A regular India A captain once, Unmukt represented Mumbai Indians, Delhi Capitals and Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...ptic-tweet-after-being-on-bench-in-bbl/848750

Former India Under-19 captain Unmukt Chand has suffered an eye injury in the United States while playing cricket. The 29-year-old shared a couple of pictures of his injury on social media. In the shared images, Chand's left eye is swollen, so much that the player is unable to open it. Chand, who retired from Indian cricket to be able to play in the US, suffered the grave injury while playing for Silicon Valley Strikers in Minor League Cricket in the country, reported news agency PTI.

"It's never a smooth ride for an athlete. Some days you come home victorious, other days disappointed & there are some when you come home with bruises and dents," tweeted Chand on Saturday.

"Grateful to God to have survived a possible disaster. Play hard but be safe. It's a thin line," wrote the Delhi-born player while also thanking people for sending him good wishes.

Chand had retired from Indian cricket in August last year and in January 2022, he became the first Indian male to play in the Big Bash League of Australia. He played for Melbourne Renegades in his first season.

The player had captained India in the 2012 U-19 World Cup and led the team to the title. In the final, against Australia, he had scored an unbeaten 111 to help India chase down their target of 226 runs.

hand has so far played 67 First Class matches and 120 List A games, alongside 79 T20s.

jfurdtpo_unmukht-chand-_625x300_01_October_22.jpg

Ex-India U19 World Cup-Winner To Play In Bangladesh Premier League; First Indian To Do So

Former India U-19 World Cup-winning captain, Unmukt Chand has joined Chattogram Challengers in the Bangladesh Premier League. Chand was picked in the players' draft which was held on Wednesday. In the process, he became the first Indian player to have signed for a BPL franchise. It has to be noted that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) contracted cricketers are not allowed to play in foreign leagues. That, however, isn't the case with Unmukt who quit playing domestic cricket in India after deciding to sign a three-year deal with USA's Major League Cricket (MLC) in 2022.

Chand had famously led the India U-19 team to title triumph at the the U-19 World Cup in 2012 in Australia. He had scored a century in the final and was named the Player of the tournament. After early success, however, his international career didn't take off the way it was anticipated.

Since bidding adieu to Indian cricket, Chand has also gone to play in the Big Bash League for the Melbourne Renegades. He has been keen to play in T20 league all across the globe ever since.

The Challengers picked Chand in the second round from the foreign players' category for the Bangladesh Premier League season which is to start on January 6.

"We have picked him (Chand) as we wanted to have an Indian in our squad plus we can also have a fan base in India," Challengers owner Rifatuzzaman told the media after the draft was completed.

NDTV

Former U19 captain Unmukt Chand keen to play against India in T20 World Cup: This would be very strange

India's former U19 captain Unmukt Chand is set to face his birth nation when he plays in the T20 World Cup 2024. Chand retired from Indian cricket in September 2021 after failing to cut into the national team. The former India youngster switched sides since then and started playing for the United States of America. With the T20 World Cup being jointly hosted by the USA, the team has acquired automatic qualification to play in the tournament.

Chand revealed that it will be a strange experience for him when he plays against India in the tournament. India face USA on 12 June in New York at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium. The match is expected to start at 8:30 PM IST.

"[It is] something which would be very strange (laughs), but I think since I've retired from India, my next goal was always to sort of play against India, and not in any bad blood but keen to test myself out against the best team in the world,"

Another former India cricketer who resides in the USA after quitting Indian cricket - Smit Patel- has spoken about the experience of playing with Jasprit Bumrah. Smit recalled a hilarious encounter when he first met Jasprit Bumrah and said that the entire team was fascinated by his action.

"Have spent a lot of time with Jassi over the years. Still remember the day he rocked up to practice for the first and he left us awestruck with what we were witnessing (laughs)," "The team had a name for him those day, we used to call him Jasprit Gumrah (confuse)," Smit told in an interview.

India's schedule for T20 World Cup 2024 has been announced. The team will take on Ireland in their first assignment on June 5. India will take on arch-rivals Pakistan on June 9 in New York.
SOURCE: INDIA TODAY

India's U19 World Cup Winner, Who Left BCCI, Snubbed By USA For T20Is​

India's Under-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand's hopes of representing the United States of America (USA) in T20 World Cup have taken a massive hit, having been left out of the squad for the T20I series against Canada, starting April 7. Chand, who retired from Indian cricket in 2021, had qualified to represent the USA earlier this year. However, Unmukt did not find a place in USA's 15-man squad for the five-match series against neighbours Canada.

Earlier this year, Unmukt had expressed his excitement over the idea of playing against a like India. He said that he is keen to test himself against the country of his birth.

"Something which would be very strange (laughs), but I think since I've retired from India, my next goal was always to sort of play against India, and not in any bad blood but keen to test myself out against the best team in the world," Chand told Cricbuzz.

Coming back to the USA squad, Chand was left out of it despite scoring 1500 runs in 45 Major League Cricket (MLC) games. He is the second all-time leading run-scorer in the tournament's history.

I forgot about him, I remember watching under 19 wc with him playing. After that I forgot about him.

Went to the USA - but not included on their T20 WC squad?

Back