Urdu to English Translation Needed!

More words:

3. kaifiiyat - This has many meanings but does one of them mean state/condition ie. 'haalat'?

4. hamdoshanaah

Thanks!

More words:

3. kaifiiyat - This has many meanings but does one of them mean state/condition ie. 'haalat' and another says remarks/comments?

Some contexts I am thinking about are 'the state/condition of an pld house' and 'remarks/comments about my essay by the teacher'. Would these be correct places to use this word?

4. hamdoshanaah

Thanks!

Some contexts I am thinking about are 'the state/condition of an old house' and 'remarks/comments about my essay by the teacher'. Would these be correct places to use this word?

Thanks!

words would be alfaz

haruf ( plural ) are alphabets . Singular would be hurf .

Grammer Clarifications:

1. I would like to confirm if '...(ki) zaruurii...' is synonymous with '... darkaar...'. Both has the meaning of 'need'.

Eg. insaan ko jiine ke liye aab-o-havaa kii zaruurii hai.
insaan ko jiine ke liye aab-o-havaa darkaar hai.
Do correct any other errors in the sentences as well.

Urdu to English:

2. halaak -
3. haafijaa/haafizaa -

I am not sure of the exact pronunciation of the last word. I am aware that this word is also used in religious contexts but I suspect it has another completely different meaning as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
1. Yes they are synonyms

2. halaak = kill

3. Haafizaa = a person who has memorized something (usually Quran Paak)..... ?? dunno if there's a name for that person in english :asif

2. halaak = kill

Can you explain how 'halaak' is used by way of a simple sentence?

As an example, can I say 'us film meiN woh kirdaar akhiirkaar halaak thaa.' to mean 'In that film, that character was finally killed.' ?

Do correct any mistakes in my sentence.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Insaan ko jiine ke liye aab-o-havaa kii zaroorat hai.
Insaan ko jiine ke liye aab-o-havaa darkaar hai.

2. halaak - killed ( Aaj haadse maiN do log halak ho gaye )
3. haafijaa/haafizaa - hafiza is memory . ( Tumhara hafiza tez hai - You have a sharp memory )

Hafiz and Hafiza are also used for a male or female who has memorised the quran .

Insaan ko jiine ke liye aab-o-havaa kii zaroorat hai.
Insaan ko jiine ke liye aab-o-havaa darkaar hai.

2. halaak - killed ( Aaj haadse maiN do log halak ho gaye )
3. haafijaa/haafizaa - hafiza is memory . ( Tumhara hafiza tez hai - You have a sharp memory )

Hafiz and Hafiza are also used for a male or female who has memorised the quran .

Do you mean 'meiN' instead of 'maiN' in 2?

For 3, 'haafiizaa' looks similar to 'yaad'. Are they synonymous?

Thanks!

Hi,

I would like the first (romanised) Urdu sentence spoken in each of the following videos and their translations.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stDBCFi3-Yc&feature=relmfu

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGIixU6LZ9U

Thanks!

Just to clarify my request, I would appreciate it if someone can romanise the Urdu part of the videos as I can't quite follow what the person is saying. I am trying to follow spoken Urdu, not the English part of it.

Thanks a lot!

More words for translation...

1. 'qadar' and 'qadar karna'

2. 'taassur', How is different from 'taasiir'?

3. 'qaayal' How about 'qaayal karna' and 'qaayal hona' as well?

4. 'waardaat' Will this be synonymous with 'ghatnaa'?

5. 'dafaa' The context for this 'shuruu-shuruu meiN ek dafaa Sundar ne uske siyaah dinoN ke baare meiN ek savaal puuchaa thaa. ...'

More words for translation...

1. 'qadar' and 'qadar karna'

2. 'taassur', How is different from 'taasiir'?

3. 'qaayal' How about 'qaayal karna' and 'qaayal hona' as well?

4. 'waardaat' Will this be synonymous with 'ghatnaa'?

5. 'dafaa' The context for this 'shuruu-shuruu meiN ek dafaa Sundar ne uske siyaah dinoN ke baare meiN ek savaal puuchaa thaa. ...'

1. Qadar=Izzat=respect

2. Taasur=view=viewpoint

3. Qaayal=Fan, Follower, In favor of,fond of

4. Waardaat=Incident="Ghatnaa" in Hindi...u r right

5. Dafaa=time="teen dafaa" means three times
=get out or get lost ="dafaa" ho jaao yaha se

1. Qadar=Izzat=respect

2. Taasur=view=viewpoint

3. Qaayal=Fan, Follower, In favor of,fond of

4. Waardaat=Incident="Ghatnaa" in Hindi...u r right

5. Dafaa=time="teen dafaa" means three times
=get out or get lost ="dafaa" ho jaao yaha se

I am still doubtful over number 1 and 2. I will provide the contexts to make things clearer.

1. woh kitnaa cahtii thii ki usko apnii waardaat keh sunaae aur sunaate-sunaate is qadar roye uske sab gunaah chul jaayen.

2. mugaviyaa ke cehre par pehlii nigaah daalne par taassur kuch ajeeb saa huaa. lekin usne sab khyaalaat kaa ek isbaatii mardaanagii se muqaabilaa kiyaa.

How would you interpret the meaning of these words now? Some explanation would be greatly appreciated :)

Es quote ko English me translate krna hai
'Khudi ka matlab yeh hai k apnay apko mita dena aur es tarha mita dena k khud na rahay Khuda rahay'

Es quote ko English me translate krna hai
'Khudi ka matlab yeh hai k apnay apko mita dena aur es tarha mita dena k khud na rahay Khuda rahay'

O´ wow! That´s one extremely tough quote to translate, full of idioms!

[MENTION=22846]Nostalgic[/MENTION] I am surely this will be a challenge for you. I don´t think that the quote can be translated. At best, it can be explained with words being translated. Still, let me give it a go:

"Meaning of "self" is to vanish the self, and to vanish it to the extent that the self doesn´t anymore; only God remains."

Please rate my attempt and point out the flaws.

O´ wow! That´s one extremely tough quote to translate, full of idioms!

[MENTION=22846]Nostalgic[/MENTION] I am surely this will be a challenge for you. I don´t think that the quote can be translated. At best, it can be explained with words being translated. Still, let me give it a go:

"Meaning of "self" is to vanish the self, and to vanish it to the extent that the self doesn´t anymore; only God remains."

Please rate my attempt and point out the flaws.

"Khudi" is the problematic word here. It is one of those untranslateable words, like "ghairat." Perhaps we can get away with quipping that there's no English equivalent because they don't have any Khudi. To get past the problem, lets say it is "self," but capitalized. So "Self," not the run-of-the-mill "self." Then, the translation would be:

"The essense of the Self is to obliterate the self, and in such a way that the self ceases to exist, and God remains."

Again, the play of words with khudi/khud/khuda is untranslateable.

"Khudi" is the problematic word here. It is one of those untranslateable words, like "ghairat." Perhaps we can get away with quipping that there's no English equivalent because they don't have any Khudi. To get past the problem, lets say it is "self," but capitalized. So "Self," not the run-of-the-mill "self." Then, the translation would be:

"The essense of the Self is to obliterate the self, and in such a way that the self ceases to exist, and God remains."

Again, the play of words with khudi/khud/khuda is untranslateable.

Excellent, excellent translation and explanation! This makes my attempt look very unprofessional.

Correction: I should've written "annihilate" instead of "obliterate."

I have this habit of looking up the dictionary the new words that I come across on the Internet in my daily routine, and I had no idea what "obliterate" meant, neither checked its definition, as rare it may be.

What is the difference between 'annihilate' and 'obliterate'?

You may want to consult a dictionary, but in my understanding, obliterate means to destroy something utterly and completely. Annihilate, on the other hand, while similar, tends more towards the sublime end of the destructive spectrum, if you can picture that. So the mystic, for instance, annihilates himself to achieve Union with the Almighty, a sublimation of sorts. So while the literal definition of annihilation may well be identical to obliteration, in this context it is probably the correct term to use, given how prevalent it is whilst translating the concept of Fana.

You may want to consult a dictionary, but in my understanding, obliterate means to destroy something utterly and completely. Annihilate, on the other hand, while similar, tends more towards the sublime end of the destructive spectrum, if you can picture that. So the mystic, for instance, annihilates himself to achieve Union with the Almighty, a sublimation of sorts. So while the literal definition of annihilation may well be identical to obliteration, in this context it is probably the correct term to use, given how prevalent it is whilst translating the concept of Fana.

Thank you

Back