Usman Khawaja : Joe Burns and I were made scapegoats

Chrish

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...s/news-story/f2bb12223a8844f2448973de4ca3b76b

"The duo were dropped two Tests into Australia’s 3-0 series defeat, which extended the country’s losing streak in Asia to nine Tests. Khawaja believes his axing was “fickle”.

For his part, the left-hander made 55 runs across four innings at 13.75 and Burns made 34 at 8.50. It was chalk-and-cheese from their performances in Australia and New Zealand in the summer, when they averaged 101.85 and 52.23 respectively. Still, the 29-year-old believes he deserved a longer leash in Sri Lanka.

“It was disappointing that Joe Burns and I were sort of the scapegoats for not performing,” Khawaja told Fairfax of his axing two Tests into the series.

“I just thought that I’d only played two Test matches in the subcontinent and I got dropped. I wasn’t the only person who wasn’t scoring runs. There was only one other person who scored a 50 in the first two Test matches at that time and that was Steve Smith.”

Khawaja, who is being considered for a position anywhere in Australia’s top three for the first Test against South Africa, described his omission for the third Tests against Sri Lanka as a “fickle” decision.

“I only had two bad Test matches on tough wickets (in Sri Lanka),” he said.

“I found it pretty fickle that the selectors dropped me for the third one. It was disappointing how that panned out. But I guess there’s some things you don’t have control over.”

He also hit back at comments from Steve Waugh that he needs to get hungrier.

“I would have thought (he comes back in), he’s a world class player. I guess the jury is out on how much he really wants it,” Waugh said on Tuesday.

“Because every time he does well he tends to drop off, so does he get satisfied with his performance?

“I think he’s just got to get a bit hungrier.

“He’s got the talent, I mean we all saw the way he batted last year in Australia, as good as anyone in the world.

“Then to drop off so quickly to me it’s lack of concentration or not respecting opposition enough. But something there (needs to happen to) turn him from a good player to a great player which he’s capable of.”

Responding to those comments, Khawaja pointed to his bumper 2015-16 summer as proof that he is hungry enough.

“I scored four Test hundreds in a row,” he said. “So I don’t think so.” "

Was he dropped for the Aus home tours now?

Or is he talking about the 3rd test in SL?

If its the latter, he needs to stop whining.

If he was dropped for Aus home tour, then he is right but still needs to stop running his mouth in media to save his career.

Grew up in Australia but sounds like Pakistani here. The comments like this doesn't help you get back in team Ussi. And , don't have to pick fight with an ATG , let your bat speak for you.

Was he dropped for the Aus home tours now?

Or is he talking about the 3rd test in SL?

If its the latter, he needs to stop whining.

If he was dropped for Aus home tour, then he is right but still needs to stop running his mouth in media to save his career.

Talking about SL tour..

Running mouth like this is not a way to go about things.

Especially in Australia where professionalism would be taken more seriously

U got the chance mate, being of Asian origin, u were bamboozled to play spin

Stop complaining. You should've scored if you didn't want to get dropped.

Lol not only did you score 50 in FOUR innings, you also complain after that.

This is Shehzad level:shehzad

He is very good in Aus and NZ pitches. Horrible against spin. Dunno how he does against swing.

Did well in the NZ series which did have some swing for Boult early on. then again, this was a Boult who was still struggling with injury and was bowling trash.

Cricket Australia does not take very lightly to its players compalining to the media. Uzzi can kiss his cricketing career goodbye now.

Blow the dust off that pilot license, lad.

Oh my this is strange from an Australian cricketer,they seem to be weird offlate -Symmonds,Clarke and now Khwaja.

Lol Uzzie you got dropped because you were rubbish.

What's this pathetic act about deserving a spot in the team?

Stamp his books never to be selected again and pick anyone - even Finch instead

Don't think Khawaja is built for test cricket, atleast outside of Australia.

He looks like a player in the Yuvraj Singh mould. Might look flamboyant with his high backlift but think he will be in trouble overseas due to looseness in his technique.

Poor attitude from Khawaja. Regardless of that, shouldn't start in India after his pathetic performance vs Sri Lanka spinners. He could easily he Ashwins bunny if he was to play.

Convict has given a very strong statement and his views about CA are Spot on 90 % of the times.

He's not doing himself any favours by slagging off the selectors in such a public way.

This is not going to help him one bit because this won't be cast aside by the ca, like the way pcb does.

Brilliant news for Pakistan.

Khawaja is a beast at home. Now he won't get picked unless Steyn, Rabada, Philander and Morkel slaughter the Aussies.

Lehmann has a soft spot for Khawaja. No way he is getting dropped for Australian summer. Mark my words.

Brilliant news for Pakistan.

Khawaja is a beast at home. Now he won't get picked unless Steyn, Rabada, Philander and Morkel slaughter the Aussies.

Assuming you are neutral I'm guessing you are interested in an exciting tour ,considering that isn't Khawaja needed for home tour?

Assuming you are neutral I'm guessing you are interested in an exciting tour ,considering that isn't Khawaja needed for home tour?

I'm not neutral. I live in Australia but I'm English so I want the convicts to lose!

Lol. Here's hoping he comes to India.

I remember his very first test - SCG 2010/11 - so much hype and expectation around him as he replaced an injured Ponting.

What a fall from grace it has been for him since.

Looks like the whining has worked.

He gets the first test!

Lol. Here's hoping he comes to India.

I remember his very first test - SCG 2010/11 - so much hype and expectation around him as he replaced an injured Ponting.

What a fall from grace it has been for him since.

He's had quite a bit of success so he's fulfilled at least some of that potential.

such a poor player when the ball does anything off the straight. one of the worst batsmen i have seen against spin in a long time and not so hot against any seam and swing either.

He's had quite a bit of success so he's fulfilled at least some of that potential.

Those easy peazy 150s on Australian concrete slabs don't count.

So, what else has he got?

Kohli's runs are easy peasy too?

Yes - all the runs scored in Australia during that tour were. And don't answer a question with a question - please list out Khawaja's stats besides the ones in question.

Yes - all the runs scored in Australia during that tour were. And don't answer a question with a question - please list out Khawaja's stats besides the ones in question.

since when am I saying anything about Khwaja and whether he is any good?

Im just checking whether you are consistent or one of those for whom pitch condition changes according to the agenda

Well after all the whinging, he has quietly managed to be Australia's best batsman in this series, which means he has proved a point to an extent. Given how depleted Australia's batting riches are, he should certainly be a mainstay in the team.

The management should make peace with the fact that just like most of the Australian batsman, he's a non-entity when it comes to playing in the subcontinent.

Well after all the whinging, he has quietly managed to be Australia's best batsman in this series, which means he has proved a point to an extent. Given how depleted Australia's batting riches are, he should certainly be a mainstay in the team.

The management should make peace with the fact that just like most of the Australian batsman, he's a non-entity when it comes to playing in the subcontinent.

Even by Australian standards he is bad against spin.

And his point wasn't proven - he and Burns were dropped and Shaun Marsh came in and scored a century. So Marsh' selection was justified which means they both can't be scapegoats

Burns does not look like an opening batsmen, he looks more suited to batting at number 5/6 but will Aussies having a lack of opening talent looks like hes been used as a square peg in a round hole.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] not sure why you feel or thought Usman should or would be dropped by the selectors due to his whinging! Australians are not sensitive like other nations.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] not sure why you feel or thought Usman should or would be dropped by the selectors due to his whinging! Australians are not sensitive like other nations.

That was my one original thought for the year, and look where that got me!

So I've decided to go back to stealing [MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION]'s ideas instead.

That was my one original thought for the year, and look where that got me!

So I've decided to go back to stealing [MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION]'s ideas instead.

:)) I wouldn't have expected you of all people to hold that view given how you're not one to advocate the sacking of players for minuscule behavioural offences, not saying Usmans whinging is great but a little slap on the wrist would be a lot more sufficient then a dropping. Imagine if Michael Vaughan was still captain of England, KP would still be playing international cricket. Yes the KP situation was a bit more complex but I also feel that if he were in the Aussie set up he'd have been persisted with.

Back