Usman Salahuddin Turning up the Heat on Middle Order Rivals

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
He hails from Lahore and his 21st birthday is in 6 days time. He already has 2430 runs in just 31 first class matches at an eye catching average of just under 48.

A product of the infamous Model Town Cricket Club in Lahore, Usman Salahuddin has already caught the eye of the selectors when he was picked for two one day internationals against the West Indies earlier this year. Unfortunately Usman's international chances in the Caribbean were limited to just 28 deliveries and since then he has not surprisingly been given another chance by the selectors.

The pedigree is there, Usman's father played first class cricket in the 70s and 80s and Usman has impressed thoughout his cricketing education, whether it be at junior level, under 19s or in inter district cricket. Wherever he has played he has made people sit up and take note of his talent.

900 runs at an average of 77 in his first full Quaid E Azam Trophy wasn't a bad start. However this season Usman has flourished playing for Lahore Ravi and has the highest run aggregate in the Quaid E Azam trophy in both divisions. 925 runs already in just 7 matches at an average of 92.50 is an extraordinary achievment. His run aggregate is 200 more runs than any other batsman in the second division.

Usman is a confident and well mannered, humble young man, keen to improve and eager to learn. Always willing to listen to advice and willing to listen to constructive criticism, always talking about working hard and improving.

He hails Mohammad Yousuf and Sachin Tendulkar as his role models and hopes that he can achieve even a fraction of what those two great batsmen have achieved.

Last season he was due to play league cricket in England but due to his selection for the Pakistan side in the West Indies he was replaced by the club that he was due to play for as they needed an overseas professional from the start of the season.

Usman suffered a major setback shortly before last months Faysal Bank Cup when he was struck by a bout of dengue. In his own words he didn't know whether he was going to get through it. But thankfully Usman fought the fever and regained full fitness in time for the second round of matches in the Quaid E Azam Trophy.

The concern is that the Pakistani selectors don't waste yet another young talent by throwing him in for a couple of one dayers where he is not even given a proper chance. I would urge the selectors to take a closer look at this young man and give him a proper chance and an extended run in test cricket.

There are a couple of batsmen in the Pakistan test squad who need to be looking over their shoulders at the performances of Usman Salahuddin and really need to up their game if they are to retain their place in the Pakistan squad.

Competition for batting places is intense in the Pakistan squads and no player has a right to be selected but the reality is that a couple of players in the test squad need to start performing before it's too late.

Selection should be based on performance and not based on what has been achieved in the past or potential.

Sooner rather than later Usman Salahuddin will be in the Pakistan test side and I reckon he will be difficult to remove from that spot.

Who can he replace in the test team? Maybe Umer Akmal? Other than that Azhar Ali, Younis Khan and Misbah are pretty settled.

His best bet would be as an opener, but may be thats too much to ask from from a young chap. Good luck to him though, always exciting when a fresh name pops up.

Who can he replace in the test team? Maybe Umer Akmal? Other than that Azhar Ali, Younis Khan and Misbah are pretty settled.

His best bet would be as an opener, but may be thats too much to ask from from a young chap. Good luck to him though, always exciting when a fresh name pops up.

i think he will get chance when some one is retire from team,,, maybe he is pak future hero....

Umar Akmal is not in the playing XI nor in the squad, so where is he going to replace Umar Akmal? In his house?

Unbelievable form in this years QeA trophy.
His performance in the 12 innings he has played in the tournament so far :-

132*, 120, 80, 76, 00, 82, 131, 116*, 82, 18, 88, 00

He can easily threaten Asad's place in the test squad, but I dont think selectors are gonna touch Asad for a while.

Last edited:
Excellent first class average. Should look to convert those centuries into bigger ones.

Umar Akmal is not in the playing XI nor in the squad, so where is he going to replace Umar Akmal? In his house?

I am not talking about the BD tour, I am talking about middle order in general. Umer may not be on the BD tour but he is certainly in the plans for the long term. Azhar Ali, Younis, Misbah, Shafiq all look at home in middle oder and replacing one of them wont be easy in the near future.

Is he already playing for the A team? If not, he should play for the A team before being tested at the international level.
He really looked bad in the litle time he had in the West Indies. Lets hope test cricket is his format.

Why the rush? He's only 21 and spending a couple of years with the A team and the domestic circuit won;t hurt him. Misbah and Younis aren't going to be there forever.

Is he already playing for the A team? If not, he should play for the A team before being tested at the international level.
He really looked bad in the litle time he had in the West Indies. Lets hope test cricket is his format.

Pakistan need to get more matches for the A team. When did our A team play it's last match?

There are so many youngsters going around now such as Umar Amin, Ahmed Shehzad, Nashir Jamshed, Usman Salahuddin, Hammad Azam, Babar Azam, Raza Hasan, Emmad Ali, Sadaf Hussain + + Just let them play some international cricket.

The sifraish system should be erased from our cricket other wise many talented players will be wasted as they don't get selected because they don't know the "right" persons.

Pakistan need to get more matches for the A team. When did our A team play it's last match?

There are so many youngsters going around now such as Umar Amin, Ahmed Shehzad, Nashir Jamshed, Usman Salahuddin, Hammad Azam, Babar Azam, Raza Hasan, Emmad Ali, Sadaf Hussain + + Just let them play some international cricket.

The sifraish system should be erased from our cricket other wise many talented players will be wasted as they don't get selected because they don't know the "right" persons.

I hope before the england tests matches our A team plays against the english side in UAE? good idea isnt it?

Okay, a promising youngster.

The idiots at PCB select him for 2 ODIs, when he could have got a couple of months of unbelievable experience in test cricket in England!!!

We only have 5 more test matches, and I don't see him getting a go vs England.

So let him stay another year in FC. Tell him to go England, and lets what this kid can really do.

Why the rush? He's only 21 and spending a couple of years with the A team and the domestic circuit won;t hurt him. Misbah and Younis aren't going to be there forever.

There is no rush, making a point that any youngster will have better chance to make it to the team if they can open, since the competetion in middle order is pretty stiff. Many successful operners started out as middle order batsmen.

Okay, a promising youngster.

The idiots at PCB select him for 2 ODIs, when he could have got a couple of months of unbelievable experience in test cricket in England!!!

We only have 5 more test matches, and I don't see him getting a go vs England.

So let him stay another year in FC. Tell him to go England, and lets what this kid can really do.

I don't understand how these jokers are running the cricket in Pakistan. In same way they played Fawad Alam in T20s only when he clearly isn't suited for that ( I know he impressed in one domestic T20 some years ago, but that was that) and when he scored a big century in a Test match against SL he was later dropped?

They are good at one thing at least; ruining the careers of players.

I hope before the england tests matches our A team plays against the english side in UAE? good idea isnt it?

Yeah we discussed this in another thread a while ago but I am afraid UAE will want to play their own team against England.

Salahuddin also I think will be a great fielder, he has a natural athletes body and usually our young crop of players are good fielders e.g. Azhar Ali, Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Fawad Alam.

much too soon to expect him in the Test side, would like to see him tour with the A side and perhaps be recalled for ODIs.

:usman

Maybe one to consider in a yr or two Well down the pecking order at mo tho Hope he keeps on knocking at the door!!

I think he record is too good to be over looked, he needs to be in test squad as a replacement batsman if one of the others get injured or are out of form. he can easily take Maliks place in the squad.

Isn't it a bad thing that he is not facing the best bowlers in Pakistan since he is playing in the weaker division? Would his average have been similar if he faced Sadaf, Riaz, Kaneria, Rana etc?

this guy is seriously talented and will be a middle order stalwart

Unbelievable form in this years QeA trophy.
His performance in the 12 innings he has played in the tournament so far :-

132*, 120, 80, 76, 00, 82, 131, 116*, 82, 18, 88, 00

He can easily threaten Asad's place in the test squad, but I dont think selectors are gonna touch Asad for a while.

Some amazing performances.......Any videos

Isn't it a bad thing that he is not facing the best bowlers in Pakistan since he is playing in the weaker division? Would his average have been similar if he faced Sadaf, Riaz, Kaneria, Rana etc?

This, i am taking nothing away from his performance but we need to consider the fact that he is playing in division 2 against some unknown bowlers so we shouldn't get to excited. He should play a season in division one and if he repeats the same performance there than we should surely include him in the squad

will be hard for him to break into the test team atm. maybe after a year when misbah/yk look to hang up their boots.

he should go to england for the time being

He hails from Lahore and his 21st birthday is in 6 days time. He already has 2430 runs in just 31 first class matches at an eye catching average of just under 48.

A product of the infamous Model Town Cricket Club in Lahore, Usman Salahuddin has already caught the eye of the selectors when he was picked for two one day internationals against the West Indies earlier this year. Unfortunately Usman's international chances in the Caribbean were limited to just 28 deliveries and since then he has not surprisingly been given another chance by the selectors.

The pedigree is there, Usman's father played first class cricket in the 70s and 80s and Usman has impressed thoughout his cricketing education, whether it be at junior level, under 19s or in inter district cricket. Wherever he has played he has made people sit up and take note of his talent.

900 runs at an average of 77 in his first full Quaid E Azam Trophy wasn't a bad start. However this season Usman has flourished playing for Lahore Ravi and has the highest run aggregate in the Quaid E Azam trophy in both divisions. 925 runs already in just 7 matches at an average of 92.50 is an extraordinary achievment. His run aggregate is 200 more runs than any other batsman in the second division.

Usman is a confident and well mannered, humble young man, keen to improve and eager to learn. Always willing to listen to advice and willing to listen to constructive criticism, always talking about working hard and improving.

He hails Mohammad Yousuf and Sachin Tendulkar as his role models and hopes that he can achieve even a fraction of what those two great batsmen have achieved.

Last season he was due to play league cricket in England but due to his selection for the Pakistan side in the West Indies he was replaced by the club that he was due to play for as they needed an overseas professional from the start of the season.

Usman suffered a major setback shortly before last months Faysal Bank Cup when he was struck by a bout of dengue. In his own words he didn't know whether he was going to get through it. But thankfully Usman fought the fever and regained full fitness in time for the second round of matches in the Quaid E Azam Trophy.

The concern is that the Pakistani selectors don't waste yet another young talent by throwing him in for a couple of one dayers where he is not even given a proper chance. I would urge the selectors to take a closer look at this young man and give him a proper chance and an extended run in test cricket.

There are a couple of batsmen in the Pakistan test squad who need to be looking over their shoulders at the performances of Usman Salahuddin and really need to up their game if they are to retain their place in the Pakistan squad.

Competition for batting places is intense in the Pakistan squads and no player has a right to be selected but the reality is that a couple of players in the test squad need to start performing before it's too late.

Selection should be based on performance and not based on what has been achieved in the past or potential.

Sooner rather than later Usman Salahuddin will be in the Pakistan test side and I reckon he will be difficult to remove from that spot.

Has he not been batting in division 2?

much too soon to expect him in the Test side, would like to see him tour with the A side and perhaps be recalled for ODIs.

:usman

Its never too soon if you are good enough.

Also he's more of a test player than a one day player in my opinion.

Read the 4th paragraph

:)

Saj - apologies - I was trying to emphasize the point that by batting in Division 2, his stats need to be considered in that context.

He is doing well though.

Personally, I think he should bat in Division 1, and/or play for the A team before we start introducing him to the test side.

Last edited:

Saj - apologies - I was trying to emphasize the point that by batting in Division 2, his stats need to be considered in that context.

He is doing well though.

Personally, I think he should bat in Division 1, and/or play for the A team before we start introducing him to the test side.

Its all well and good for people to say he should be batting in Division 1, but it's not always as easy as that. Firstly a move to another team could end up in him not being given a chance there and sitting on the sidelines and not playing much cricket.

Also there is the situation of him possibly working with coaches that he has faith in and likes to work with and feels comfortable with.

It will be interesting to see what happens as I'm sure that sooner rather than later one of the big departmental teams are going to come knocking on his door.

Its never too soon if you are good enough.

Also he's more of a test player than a one day player in my opinion.

well the last time we saw him in international colors he was not that impressive, very much a work in progress.

as of now there are probably 3 players - Shafiq, Umar Akmal and Fawad Alam - who can rightly claim to deserve a chance before him.

well the last time we saw him in international colors he was not that impressive

He faced 28 deliveries in the Caribbean, both if I remember correctly were towards the end of the innings.

Using that method Saeed Anwar wouldn't have played any cricket for Pakistan after his pair on debut.

Asad Shafiq really needs to step up his test form as he has not really justified his talent, Umar Akmal doubts over his test credentials and temperament in the 5 day format and Fawad another who the selectors don't really seem to rate very highly.

Saeed Anwar also had to wait for 4 years to get a recall into the Test team.

Its all well and good for people to say he should be batting in Division 1, but it's not always as easy as that. Firstly a move to another team could end up in him not being given a chance there and sitting on the sidelines and not playing much cricket.

Also there is the situation of him possibly working with coaches that he has faith in and likes to work with and feels comfortable with.

It will be interesting to see what happens as I'm sure that sooner rather than later one of the big departmental teams are going to come knocking on his door.

Sure.

I don't know where his team is in division 2, but with all these runs I would imagine they are due to get promoted?

Either way, that shouldnt stop him from getting into the "A team"... (when the administration gets its act together and arranges some).

If all else fails, he should be selected for some ODI's to see how he performs and then transitioned to the Test side. (Even if he is a test type player, all ODI sides need someone who can play sensibly.)

The test side should be sacrosanct - you should only get a chance once you really really deserve it.

What the selectors are currently doing which is giving people a game here or there doesnt achieve anything.

Hammad/Salahuddin/Ramiz/Amin/Shahzad etc etc

I also do think he is more of a test player. He doesn't look like a player that can hit the big shots and looking at his FC record, he is a more of a test batsmen.

During the WI series both of his innings were towards the end of the innings where it was time for him to make quick runs and he got run out in one of them so we can't really judge him on these 2 games.

He is still young so I'm sure he'll get his chance some day however currently there are a lot more players in line for a place first e.g. Umar Akmal, Fawad Alam, Umar Amin, Awais Zia, Afaq Raheem & Aqeel Anjum.

I also do think he is more of a test player

Absolutely.

The other issue is that there are simply not enough "A" or academy tours being organised by the PCB for the likes of Usman to take part in.

Bangladesh series series was the best time he should have been given a chance , now probably will get his chance against bangladesh next year if the series goes on. I can't understand one thing though , naved yasin scored 6 centuries in 09-10 season in division 2. But he was never called to play for pakistan , why?

He faced 28 deliveries in the Caribbean, both if I remember correctly were towards the end of the innings.

Using that method Saeed Anwar wouldn't have played any cricket for Pakistan after his pair on debut.

Asad Shafiq really needs to step up his test form as he has not really justified his talent, Umar Akmal doubts over his test credentials and temperament in the 5 day format and Fawad another who the selectors don't really seem to rate very highly.

Well even Asad Shafiq isnt getting the opportunities. You have to feel for him, just one final game after every tour, its hard for anyone to play with any kind of mental peace and freedom.

Well even Asad Shafiq isnt getting the opportunities. You have to feel for him, just one final game after every tour, its hard for anyone to play with any kind of mental peace and freedom.

Asad has been a part of the Test team for 8 out of the last 9 Tests.

Maybe he should look at Rawalpindi they can really use a middle order batsman

But he does need to switch to division one and put up the same numbers to consider for selection look at Naveed Yasin I think he was avrgn something like 50+ in division 2 but now he's nowhere to be seen I think he's playing in division one if i'm not wrong

Another prematurely picked and then scrapped player imho, if anything I feel that players should perform a while in FC games (which Salahuddin is doing atm) and then be given a nice long run with Pakistan. Sadly the opposite mostly holds

The batsman I really feel sorry for is Naumanullah, he performed a decade at FC level, was given one game against Zimbabwe where he came in the penultimate over during a hit-out-or-get-out situation. :pissed:

Sorry but IMO Fawad alam deserves to be in the test team before Usman. :fawad

Last edited:
I have a feeling that he may get a nod for English series...

@Above: Hell no for fawad, medicore at its best :p

If selected He should have been given a fair run..... this way no youngster would blossom. What he needs is at least 4 - 5 consecutive Test matches without the pressure of being dropped.

salahuddin has got to move to division 1 as that will test how good he actually is

Usman asked me to remind everyone that he did indeed play for a department team at the start of his first class career ;)

sorry this is intl cricket..take your chances when you get them..none of this mental peace bakwaas should be used as an excuse or 'thats not his natural position' he should take his opprotounities and show his talent or else get lost

Back to back centuries for Usman in the Pentangular Cup.

He was discarded after 2,3 failure's should be selected ahead of tried and tested failures:malik

Good to see him performing well in the domestic circuit, that's all he can do. But for the moment, the middle order is holding firm. I think his chance will come when Misbah/Younis retire.

Good to see him performing well in the domestic circuit, that's all he can do. But for the moment, the middle order is holding firm. I think his chance will come when Misbah/Younis retire.

I think he should be drafted in oneday team

I do think that he should be drafted into the one day side. Plus, he should be the part of the test team bench along with Umar Akmal.

The inconsistency in selection matters should stop. He played a couple of ODIs and then suddenly dropped? And Sadaf Hussain was back-up bowler not long ago and now he is also forgotton.

Look if the selectors feel that he has it in him to be International player, he should be given a full series to show himself....... a fair chance.

He has a central contract therefore we may see him for the England ODI leg.

He has a central contract therefore we may see him for the England ODI leg.

Even if you would see him, he will be carrying the drinks for Malik and Farhat ( provided they stay on wicket to get thirsty enough).

This lad is so impressive.

Another good score in the making, currently on 57* against a decent attack (Tanvir Ahmed, Tabish khan and Kaneria).

Our middleorder looking good for future.

so is he better than Fawad and Umer

anyone have any stats for 2011 domestic?

Sadly Malik selected again and this poor kid (and many others) cannot get a chance in the squad...Malik may you get the runs quickly (but not on the pitch);-)

This guy looks like a proper batsmen and a serious talent. I think they should give him a try. i mean, he cant be any worse than farhat.

looks like farhat is going to play all the limited overs matches since there are only 2 openers were picked for the sqaud. this was a deliberate attempt by mr illyasss to get farhad to play in the 11.

Back