[VIDEO] "I said to Babar Azam at times you are afraid to get out": Simon Doull

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In an exclusive interview with Saj, Simon Doull giving his candid views on his interaction with Babar Azam during PSL 8 after he had criticised the Pakistan captain for his slow Strike Rates and when he slowed down close to his hundred.

[SUP]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Simon Doull "I said to Babar Azam, at times you are afraid to get out and you shouldn't ever be afraid to get out" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/8heI40LzCQ">pic.twitter.com/8heI40LzCQ</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1641355316515295232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 30, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[/SUP]

==

Please note that Saj's full chat with Simon Doull will be available in a few days.

Last edited:
Simon Doull is the savage we need to light the fire underneath some of our players for the best.

He's right. Babar in the 2 games he played at Pindi last was the best i've seen him bat in T20s in a while. Sure the boundaries were small and maybe this mentally played a role to go more aggressive. But the way he was shuffling at the crease early on, swiping hard at the ball so edges were going for 4 and trying to lift the ball over the infield more was of the highest class. He didn't look like he was hitting pretty boundaries but he looked like he was in command, this is much more dangerous to an opposition team than a pretty cover drive.

He's way too good of a batsman to play with a fear of getting out (in t20s atleast). He has every single shot in the book and should use it to his advantage.

This guy needs to stay away from our cricketers and PCB needs to step in here.

This guys own countryman, Kane Williamson, has a lower strike rate than Babar. IF he is that much concern maybe go talk to Williamson first. Babar has a better strike rate than Williamson in both t20 and odi.

Babar is the ICC cricketer of the year, and this guy thinks that out of all the cricketers in the world, the cricket of the year is the guy who is afraid to get out....

Maybe all other batsman should also follow lead and become afraid to get out to even come near Babar than.

This guys own countryman, Kane Williamson, has a lower strike rate than Babar. IF he is that much concern maybe go talk to Williamson first. Babar has a better strike rate than Williamson in both t20 and odi.

Babar is the ICC cricketer of the year, and this guy thinks that out of all the cricketers in the world, the cricket of the year is the guy who is afraid to get out....

Maybe all other batsman should also follow lead and become afraid to get out to even come near Babar than.

How many mouths will the PCB be able to shut? The truth cannot be silenced. This is freedom of speech and the PCB must continue to endorse this. What difference would there be between us and BJP if we silence people who want to speak the truth?

So what is your logic. Because Kane Williamson bats slow, Simon Doull should go talk to Williamson, wait for his strike rate to improve and then talk to Babar.

He rates Babar as a top batter and feels he can dominate but holds back. It's a fair statement, what other people in his country are doing is irrelevant.

So what is your logic. Because Kane Williamson bats slow, Simon Doull should go talk to Williamson, wait for his strike rate to improve and then talk to Babar.

He rates Babar as a top batter and feels he can dominate but holds back. It's a fair statement, what other people in his country are doing is irrelevant.

I’m pretty sure he is critical of Williamson too but Kane isn’t an opener. He bats at number 3 and the challenges involved in that position cannot be compared with the responsibility two openers have in order to maximise the powerplay, lay the foundation for the rest of the team to go for a big total

I’m pretty sure he is critical of Williamson too but Kane isn’t an opener. He bats at number 3 and the challenges involved in that position cannot be compared with the responsibility two openers have in order to maximise the powerplay, lay the foundation for the rest of the team to go for a big total

Not many rate Kane as a white ball player. His fans do not say he is the best all format player. Everyone knows he is a technician, good at tests and a decent white ball player.

Babar is talked about as the best all format player and one of the best white balls players. Scrutiny is going to be high on him, and people will expect him to dominate. That means he has to regularly make 70 of 45 type scores, not 55 of 45.

Also what's the point of saying look at batters in your country first. What kind of logic is that.

Not many rate Kane as a white ball player. His fans do not say he is the best all format player. Everyone knows he is a technician, good at tests and a decent white ball player.

Babar is talked about as the best all format player and one of the best white balls players. Scrutiny is going to be high on him, and people will expect him to dominate. That means he has to regularly make 70 of 45 type scores, not 55 of 45.

Also what's the point of saying look at batters in your country first. What kind of logic is that.

It’s a typical tactic applied by arrogant Pakistan cricket fans, maybe it’s related to a cultural issue too. It’s like telling someone who is pointing out your mistakes to reflect on your own failures first before telling me what to do. Classic deflection tactic.

No wonder Younis Khan pulled out a knife when Grant Flower (the hired batting coach) gave him advice, or when he threatened to slap some guy on TV for putting his hand on his shoulder.

So winning some ICC award means you can never criticise a player ?

It's amazing how sensitive Babar's fans are to the slightest criticism. They've become like the Sachinistas of old. Doull's job is to commentate not cheerlead or do prograganda on Babar's behalf.

It's a shame our commentators don't have the guts to point it out but Babar's T20I SR has declined year on year since 2020.

If you want the criticism to stop then Babar should improve his SR.

It's amazing how sensitive Babar's fans are to the slightest criticism. They've become like the Sachinistas of old. Doull's job is to commentate not cheerlead or do prograganda on Babar's behalf.

It's a shame our commentators don't have the guts to point it out but Babar's T20I SR has declined year on year since 2020.

and I'm sure that will happen when we find a couple of reliable middle order batsmen.

and I'm sure that will happen when we find a couple of reliable middle order batsmen.

Did Babar magically strike at the same rate as Jason Roy and Colin Munro did in PSL when he had 2 accomplished international middle order players in PZ??

Who are you trying to fool??

Simon Doull’s base argument is that Babar is too scared to get out at times.

He is 100% right. It’s a factual statement. Where is the proof? Here it is:

Babar has hit 50 sixes in the 2625 balls he has faced at international level as a batsman (mainly opener in the powerplay)

That’s an average of 1x six ever 52.5 balls!!!!

It’s clear that the guy is too scared to take risks. He has no intention to take the risks needed at this level yet he has managed to maintain an average above 40! Doull is 100% accurate and there is no debating this

Agreed and he’s right about calling him the best in the world too?

He said best in the "COUNTRY" I don't think anyone disagree with that

t gets bad when babar fans start blowing him out of proportion ie "best in the world" "better than kholi" etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
Props to him for the honesty. He may be triggering a horde of Babar fans, but so be it. Someone had to do it.

One of the biggest mindsets a batting coach actually teaches you or tries you to realize yourself is to let go of fear of getting out if you’re too preoccupied with it that it limits you as a batter.

It gets bad when babar fans start blowing him out of proportion ie "best in the world" "better than kholi" etc....

Yes to Babar fans Pakistan is the universe, not just the world

Babar Azam:

Balls faced at T20i level: 2625
Sixes hit: 50 (52.5 balls per six)

Rohit Sharma:

Balls faced at T20i level: 2767
Sixes hit: 182 (15.02 balls per six)

Look at the clear difference in intent! Does Babar not have the ability to catch up with six hitting ratio once he gets that 50-70 odd that his fans say it’s necessary for him to get so the team reaches a respectable score first?!!

t gets bad when babar fans start blowing him out of proportion ie "best in the world" "better than kholi" etc....

He also said he’s the best in the world recently but yes let’s ignore that because it doesn’t suit your agenda. If anyone thinks Babar is better then Kohli then they need to follow another sport and similarly if anyone thinks he’s not up there as being one of the best they should also looks for another sport.

Yes to Babar fans Pakistan is the universe, not just the world

Care to explain why honest duoll called him the best in the world recently? Off course you won’t mention it because it doesn’t suit your agenda.

Care to explain why honest duoll called him the best in the world recently? Off course you won’t mention it because it doesn’t suit your agenda.

He said it because he probably wants to get out safely from Pakistan and return safely for future work

Babar Azam:

Balls faced at T20i level: 2625
Sixes hit: 50 (52.5 balls per six)

Rohit Sharma:

Balls faced at T20i level: 2767
Sixes hit: 182 (15.02 balls per six)

Look at the clear difference in intent! Does Babar not have the ability to catch up with six hitting ratio once he gets that 50-70 odd that his fans say it’s necessary for him to get so the team reaches a respectable score first?!!

Since you want to talk stats here's both of their stats vs the top 5 teams in the world in t20s.

Rohit: 28 average, 136 SR
Babar: 46 average, 133 SR

Both have 2 hundreds, Babar has 3 more fifties in less matches. Rohit has 6 ducks Babar has 2. For all of Rohits 'six hitting ability' does he lack the intent? No one would pick rohit over babar after looking at these stats.

Since you want to talk stats here's both of their stats vs the top 5 teams in the world in t20s.

Both have 2 hundreds, Babar has 3 more fifties in less matches. Rohit has 6 ducks Babar has 2. For all of Rohits 'six hitting ability' does he lack the intent? No one would pick rohit over babar after looking at these stats.

Wah jee Wahh

Now Babar is better than Rohit as a T20 opener???

He said it because he probably wants to get out safely from Pakistan and return safely for future work

Sorry, no.

He said it because he meant it. The rest of what he said was said for the same reason.

Babar can help by moving down to 3 where he was doing a perfectly good job.

and then when he is in form people will be saying "he should open especially when its only 20 overs to play you would want toys best batsmen there".

round and round we go.

The number of bilaterals against B and C teams Babar has played, his stats would always go out of proportion being an opener.

Why don't we compare in T20 WCs where all teams are first-choice sides? Of course Babar with a SR of 93!! across 7 matches in the last T20 world cup , and similarly poor SR in the one before reflects clearly on his selfish and timid tendencies.

Despite Simon Doull pointing out the obvious deficiency of Babar with some sugar coating, Babar ******* lose their marbles. Imagine someone who doesn't sugarcoat and says on air Babar bats selfishly, Babar ******* might just lead him into depression with their trolling

Good stats

Now can you provide the stats regarding 4's please? As my understanding is that its not only 6ers that count as runs?

Do note that I agree that Babar at times does not hit the big shots but if he's hitting 4's, its not a bad thing. Lower Risk I suppose but still reward. Some may call it smart
Summary - Babar SR needs to improve

The number of bilaterals against B and C teams Babar has played, his stats would always go out of proportion being an opener.

Why don't we compare in T20 WCs where all teams are first-choice sides? Of course Babar with a SR of 93!! across 7 matches in the last T20 world cup , and similarly poor SR in the one before reflects clearly on his selfish and timid tendencies.

Despite Simon Doull pointing out the obvious deficiency of Babar with some sugar coating, Babar ******* lose their marbles. Imagine someone who doesn't sugarcoat and says on air Babar bats selfishly, Babar ******* might just lead him into depression with their trolling

That's very clever.
Yes let's look at World Cups only...

A semi finalist 2021 and finalist in 2022 especially when it's clear he was out of form.

Imagine if he was in form.

You have to be a lunatic to blame Babar the batsman for losing the semis and the final when pretty much the entire middle order was non existent leading up to the last World Cup.

Babar isnt a mohalla type jobber who gets measured by the 6s he hits

He is a technician and a classy batter as a result is more likely to play the ball on the ground

Doulls right though He is the best batter in the country and arguably the best in the world and needs to own 2 bit attacks and bowlers

He does sometimes just need to keep going but its not because hes selfish Its just hard to go against the grain and what youve trained to do over many years of practice

Good stats

Now can you provide the stats regarding 4's please? As my understanding is that its not only 6ers that count as runs?

Do note that I agree that Babar at times does not hit the big shots but if he's hitting 4's, its not a bad thing. Lower Risk I suppose but still reward. Some may call it smart
Summary - Babar SR needs to improve
[MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION]

Babar fans?

Im a pakistan cricket fan.

I have watched enough cricket in Pakistan to know that we will never have a Babar level batsman ever again.

Its funny how Kane williamson gets a pass on for having a similar stirke rate.

and yes an icc cricketer of the year award means something.

Babars SR is perfect, maybe Kane Williamson needs to improve

Let's compare T20 World Cups then.

2021 T20 World Cup:
Babar: 303 runs, top scorer in the WC.
Rohit: 174 runs, not even top 10 most runs in the WC.

2022 T20 World Cup:
Babar: 124 runs
Rohit: 116 runs

Not to mention one reached the semi finals and the finals of the World Cups whilst the other got knocked out in the groups and semis. Babar has a 50 in a semi final, Rohit has a 28 ball 27.

Doull is not the type of boss i would want to work for…

But he is totally the boss Pakistan team needs.

Babar fans?

I have watched enough cricket in Pakistan to know that we will never have a Babar level batsman ever again.

His sr is 127 as an opener

In what works is that perfect?

Also, do you purposely choose to ignore KW is a number 3 and Babar opens the innings?

Babar fans?

Shafique and a few others will surpass him in 5 years. Unfortunately he's a choker. Inzy was multiple times superior.

Shafique is proberly only player in this current lot thar can match Babar in terms of skill however Shafique has a better power game.

Shafique and a few others will surpass him in 5 years. Unfortunately he's a choker. Inzy was multiple times superior.

Inzy was multiple times superior?

What was inzys world cup record?? Do you call him a choker too seeing inzy failed in most world cups and in the final in 1999?

Btw inzy is a great and a legend but babar will surpass him by the time he finishes his career

Last edited:
Inzy was multiple times superior?

What was inzys world cup record?? Do you call him a choker too seeing inzy failed in most world cups and in the final in 1999?

Btw inzy is a great and a legend but babar will surpass him by the time he finishes his career

Inzy didn't play in an era where top sides routinely rested players for bilateral series and play B/C teams.

I'd love to have seen Babar's numbers playing against McGrath/Warne, Ambrose/Walsh, Donald/Pollock on a regular basis.

Sadly that's the criteria for some it seems.

Inzy didn't play in an era where top sides routinely rested players for bilateral series and play B/C teams.

I'd love to have seen Babar's numbers playing against McGrath/Warne, Ambrose/Walsh, Donald/Pollock on a regular basis.

So i guess in the 2019 world cup when babar made all then runs in england including a ton against nz he was playing against b-c teams too?

Is the above the answer to my original qs?

Pls inform me of inzys world cup record?
Inzy failed pretty much in every world cup he played bar 1992 Is he overated too and a failure?

I repeat babars already on his way to become the best pakistani batsman ever

Its only a minority of "fans" like yourself who have no clue

Sadly that's the criteria for some it seems.

You can criticise Saj but the hate some "fans" spew against the best pakistani batsmen of a generation is totally uncalled for and ridiculous

Yes he could improve on certain aspects of his batting but calling him a minnow basher, stat padder, wanting him to be dropped from the team? Really?

Since when did pakistani fans have such high expectations and standards? We havent had a decent all format player for 15 plus years and when we do have one hes treated like this, why cant we keep all criticism in balance?

Last edited:
Babar fans?

I'm not sure why you were openly saying you hoped Afghanistan won against us if you are? Couldn't get my head round that to be fair.

Babar Rizwan and Saim should be our top 3.
Haris at 4
5 is a spot open for anyone to grab(heck even umar akmal can grab it)
6 imad
7 shadab
8 nawaz/usama mir
9 shaheen
10 naseem/rauf/ihsan
11 naseem/rauf/ihsan

12 zaman/hasnain
13 fakhar

You can criticise Saj but the hate some "fans" spew against the best pakistani batsmen of a generation is totally uncalled for and ridiculous

Yes he could improve on certain aspects of his batting but calling him a minnow basher, stat padder, wanting him to be dropped from the team? Really?

Since when did pakistani fans have such high expectations and standards? We havent had a decent all format player for 15 plus years and when we do have one hes treated like this, why cant we keep all criticism in balance?

No cricketer is beyond constructive criticism. Some have different ways to express that criticism.

Unfortunately some don't like any criticism directed towards Babar and other players. This is equally baffling.

For me it's always been a case of criticise when players deserve it and praise when they deserve it.

Last edited:
For me it's always been a case of criticise when players deserve it and praise when they deserve it.

And i agree Hope more fans see this logic

Babar isnt perfect but hes the best weve got and i hope in the coming months and years he takes on this sort of advice and improves his game to become even better

So i guess in the 2019 world cup when babar made all then runs in england including a ton against nz he was playing against b-c teams too?

Is the above the answer to my original qs?

Pls inform me of inzys world cup record?
Inzy failed pretty much in every world cup he played bar 1992 Is he overated too and a failure?

I repeat babars already on his way to become the best pakistani batsman ever

Its only a minority of "fans" like yourself who have no clue
Seems like in addition to accepting criticisms, Babar fans struggle with reading too. I never compared the tournament records of Babar and Inzamam, and readily accept Inzamam's tournament record was poor.

I'm asking did top sides routinely rest key players in bilateral series in the 90s like we see now - yes or no ?

I accept Babar can only play the opponents in front of him. However when making bold claims that he's on the way to being our greatest ever batter or as someone else said "already a legend" we should get the facts.

Let's take three recent LOI series. AUS's frontline pacers went home after the Tests. ENG named a reserve team due to Covid for our 2021 tour. That same year we toured SAF and their big names left midway for the IPL. You cannot deny this inflates Babar's numbers to some degree.

Now let's talk about Babar's tournament record as you mentioned it.

2017 Champions Trophy (ODI): Avg 44 SR 74.
2018 Asia Cup (ODI): Avg 31 SR 70.
2019 World Cup (ODI): Avg 67 SR 87.
2021 T20 World Cup: Avg 60 SR 126.
2022 Asia Cup (T20): Avg 11 SR 107.
2022 World Cup (T20): Avg 17 SR 93. His PP SR was 80 - second lowest of all openers.

I think those are fairly average returns for a guy already hailed as the greatest Pakistani batter, a legend, and the best in the world. And I think Simon Doull is entitled to ask questions about Babar's SR without Babar fans going ballistic and demanding his firing.

Last edited:
And i agree Hope more fans see this logic

Babar isnt perfect but hes the best weve got and i hope in the coming months and years he takes on this sort of advice and improves his game to become even better

Nobody is perfect.
Nobody is above criticism.

Nobody is perfect.
Nobody is above criticism.

I agree Hes not above criticism and he should learn from his short comings

He is also pakistan best batter by a considerable distance which some people on this forum fail to routinely acknowledge

Last edited:
He is also pakistan best batter by a considerable distance which some people on this forum fail to routinely acknowledge
No doubt he is Pakistan's best batter at the moment but there is room for improvement at times in several aspects of his batting.

Seems like in addition to accepting criticisms, Babar fans struggle with reading too. I never compared the tournament records of Babar and Inzamam, and readily accept Inzamam's tournament record was poor.

I'm asking did top sides routinely rest key players in bilateral series in the 90s like we see now - yes or no ?

I accept Babar can only play the opponents in front of him. However when making bold claims that he's on the way to being our greatest ever batter or as someone else said "already a legend" we should get the facts.

Let's take three recent LOI series. AUS's frontline pacers went home after the Tests. ENG named a reserve team due to Covid for our 2021 tour. That same year we toured SAF and their big names left midway for the IPL. You cannot deny this inflates Babar's numbers to some degree.

2022 World Cup (T20): Avg 17 SR 93. His PP SR was 80 - second lowest of all openers.

I think those are fairly average returns for a guy already hailed as the greatest Pakistani batter, a legend, and the best in the world. And I think Simon Doull is entitled to ask questions about Babar's SR without Babar fans going ballistic and demanding his firing.

Some balance is required Hes not perfect or a machine that will score runs every time and his career isnt over yet by a long stretch

Yed undoubtedly he weaker in certain areas namely t20 strike rate which can be poor sometimes and needs to improve on it

Hes got a decent t20 world cup record, he had an excellent world cup in 2019 and only performed poorly in asia cups which ranks as the lowest in terms of importance by a good stretch

Hes still relatively young and has a good 4-5 peak years and he ll only get better

Are u disputing the fact hes the best pakistani batter by a distance and one of the best batters in the world?

Last edited:
Simon Doull making it abundantly clear that nothing he has said about Babar Azam is something he did not say to his face and above all, it is never personal.

Watch:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.962%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/vq45ao" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Why are babar fans getting so triggered. Doull said something honestly, he even said to babar’s face and they had a good chat.

Why are babar fans getting so triggered. Doull said something honestly, he even said to babar’s face and they had a good chat.

And he actually genuinely cares and wants Babar to do well. He’s not mindlessly hating on Babar.

Once again though, it’s just Babar fans thinking that Babar is perfect. Simon says this same thing, it’s never personal and he’s just doing his job…

Doull talking a lot of sense and coming across as very genuine. Babar's the best in the land, but he could be so much more in T20Is with that level of talent.

Simon is doing God's work. We all have seen Babar's SR improve in this PSL.

He has one poor t20 worldcup. Asia cups means nothing.

Contrary to the popular belief, it's the Babar critique brigade that is getting triggered, by feeling the urge to comment on anything Babar does. Whether it's current players, ex-players, commentators and merchants here, Babar is in the conversation 9 out of 10 times. And 9 out of that 9 are based on bashing him- it's becoming a hobby now.

And the high-horse, sitting-on-the-fence brigade who 'wish to see Babar improve further because he is good' need to sit back and give the guy a break. Babar is least of Pakistan's worries. Babar doesn't ball spin, doesn't ball pace, doesn't bat for other players, all of whom have been largely poor and unable to provide any meaningful contributions to the test or LOI teams. That's why we lose majority of the matches and Babar is made scapegoat either as a batsman or as skipper. And when the same team wins, or reaches the finals etc, then it's due to contribution of falana falana player. Cute.

For Babar to improve SR from 128 to 138 going forward is not a massive problem because he is a proper batsman. But for other players to start averaging 25 with the bat is a monstrous/near-impossible task. The latter needs to be higher priority if you want to see the improvement in this team. But that is going unnoticed because all emphasis is on Babar. Classic.

Although Babar is a level above batsman than Misbah but the criticism reminds me of Misbah where he was the only performing batsman and was targetted for every move he made. Same is with Babar now every thing that he does, evert move he makes is scrutinzed fairly or unfairly

Although Babar is a level above batsman than Misbah but the criticism reminds me of Misbah where he was the only performing batsman and was targetted for every move he made. Same is with Babar now every thing that he does, evert move he makes is scrutinzed fairly or unfairly

Misbah wasn’t occupying the powerplay overs and shifting natural openers into the middle order

Until Babar doesn’t move to number 3, he will always be targeted

He has one poor t20 worldcup. Asia cups means nothing.

Exactly Who remembers asia cups and who wins them? Its a nothing tournament and not one where performance in it will judge any players standing in world cricket

Its just a stupid barometer that those so called fans with an axe to grind against babar use agaisnt him

Last edited:
Misbah wasn’t occupying the powerplay overs and shifting natural openers into the middle order

Until Babar doesn’t move to number 3, he will always be targeted

Theres no such thing as natural openers anymore

Was tendulkar a natural opener, Dilshan? Ganguly?

Most of the worlds best players open in limited formats to face the most balls and dictate the game

Hes the best player in the team and isnt moving to number 3 Get use to it

Theres no such thing as natural openers anymore

Was tendulkar a natural opener, Dilshan? Ganguly?

Most of the worlds best players open in limited formats to face the most balls and dictate the game

Hes the best player in the team and isnt moving to number 3 Get use to it

Bhai humne tou ‘get used to it nahi hona’

If Babar continues to misuse power and occupy an opening spot, we will continue to criticise him for being selfish and wasting the powerplay, whilst also slowing down for his personal milestones

It’s you that needs to ‘get used to’ the criticism that he will continue to receive

Bhai humne tou ‘get used to it nahi hona’

If Babar continues to misuse power and occupy an opening spot, we will continue to criticise him for being selfish and wasting the powerplay, whilst also slowing down for his personal milestones

It’s you that needs to ‘get used to’ the criticism that he will continue to receive

Totally agree.

Babar Azam does not have a God Given right to rule the Pakistan side.

If he does well we will praise him
If he performs poorly, we will ask questions and also ask if he is the right man to lead Pakistan

All we ask for is less trolling and more substance.

I remember in childhood guys like Iam Chappel, Boycott, Tony Greig, Holding even Gawaskar used to be blunt and direct in their assessment of players and everybody listened to it but nowdays its blasphemy to comment on any player.Every player is all time great, all catches are breathtaking, all deliveries are the ball of the century, all cover drives are orgasmic, all winning captains are geniuses. I am really tired of commentary these days. Simon Doull is refreshing to be honest. He has also criticized Indian players in past.

Just to reiterate I agree with Doulls thoughts and comments

Babar is too good a batsman to let joe blogg bowl to him

Someone of his quality more often than not should be owing avge attack and bowlers

Hes that good

I remember in childhood guys like Iam Chappel, Boycott, Tony Greig, Holding even Gawaskar used to be blunt and direct in their assessment of players and everybody listened to it but nowdays its blasphemy to comment on any player.Every player is all time great, all catches are breathtaking, all deliveries are the ball of the century, all cover drives are orgasmic, all winning captains are geniuses. I am really tired of commentary these days. Simon Doull is refreshing to be honest. He has also criticized Indian players in past.

Very true.

Doull is one of those commentators who backs his criticism with reasons and facts and isn't biased.

In your opinion that is

Would you praise him if he does well too in the role?

No

If he plays exactly the way he does as he does as an opener at number 3

I will praise him

No

If he plays exactly the way he does as he does as an opener at number 3

I will praise him

So even if he goes at 140 strike rate you wont praise him? Thats ridiculous.

So even if he goes at 140 strike rate you wont praise him? Thats ridiculous.

No. He needs to bat at 3. He needs to do his job for his team

It’s the most important batting position and it belongs to the best batsman in the side.

Babar Azam is the captain and as a result will bat where he reckons is best served in the team interests and he reckons thats opening

Posters can think what they like but are there really better options at the top than him? I dont think so

What he needs to ensure is he bats with intent from ball one and goes hard at the bowlers which with his skill hes well capable of

Back