[VIDEO] ICC World Cup 2023: Pakistan versus Netherlands - Room for improvement, but it's points on the board

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In Saj's latest video offering on Pakistan's World Cup 2023 opener against Netherland, he discusses:

1. The brilliance of Saud Shakeel
2. Mohammad Rizwan proving his critics wrong once again.
3. Mohammad Nawaz and Shadab Khan's useful contributions down the order.
4. Haris Rauf firing on all cylinders.
5. The openers failing again
6. What needs improving upon for the upcoming matches, and more!

Netherlands showed a lot of determination, but Pakistan's overall performance was too strong for them to match. Pakistan won convincingly, but they need to sort out their problems at the opening slot. That is where the whole problem is standing tall. Our middle order and lower order did very well but the opening in a bigger problem now as imam is also looking to be struggling.

Shaheen bowling so mechanically, rarely bending his back.

Hid injuries have really affected him or maybe still looking for rhythm. Shadab bowling much better and needs to tighten up more.

Rauf needs to stop being predictable and could learn about keeping a length from Hasan, who really does have to try very hard giving his diminutive stature

Overall, Babar needs to start firing soon

"As Pakistani Cricket followers we can all a sigh of relief because Pakistan have beaten Netherlands by 81 runs um potential banana skin it was one of those matches that you do worry about a little bit because even Nassar Hussain said that such as Pakistan cricket that they could end up losing to Netherlands"

Saj summed up this brilliantly - To be honest, I was convinced that this was happening until that 3rd wicket fell!

Hassan was a big positive here. He bowled beautifully at the top. He supported Rauf and shaheen and I am happy that Hassan has shown what he can really do after that 2017 stunt.

Glad to see Pakistan off to a positive start in an ODI WC. Even more satisfying to see that we can recover from a collapse. Disappointed though that we were all out and couldn't bat all the overs.

We badly need Shaheen and Fakhar to start firing

To me Hassan Ali's confidence in his own bowling is a HUGE positive. He has to step up to help Shaheen and Rauf which he did.

Saj on Hassan Ali:

"Hassan Ali showed some good signs as well obviously coming in as a late replacement for Nasim shah. He bowled with a little bit of zip, decent pace but obviously not the pace that he had a few years ago say for example in the Champions Trophy in 2017 but he was bowling back of a length, kept it tight, took a couple of wickets there which should give him a lot of confidence for the rest of the tournament"

Totally agree and whilst his generator celebration felt a little tired, to me that is also a sign of how he is feeling about himself. Hopefully we will see more vigorous versions in the upcoming games.

To me Hassan Ali's confidence in his own bowling is a HUGE positive. He has to step up to help Shaheen and Rauf which he did.
Agree 100% with this. He bowled really well. Nice consistent lines. In subcontinent I think it would be wise if our pacers don’t try to be too gung-ho and think you can just bowl every batsman out with their 140-145 deliveries. It just won’t happen. Bowl nice restrictive lines and be patient. I saw a really responsible and mature Hasán Ali yesterday.

Openers really need to make some big scores quickly. Better teams will chase down 280-290 with ease.

Personally i would get Barber to open so he can utilise the 1st 10 overs.

Imam & Fakhar lack any sort of aggression up front.

Lets see all these confidence when we play against Ind/Aus/Eng/NZ teams. We were lucky that Saud played well along with Rizwan and Nawaz.
PCB was never serous of winning World Cup and more than satisfied winning 1992 cup. May be few hundred later when every country has 10-15 cups we may fluke 2nd one.

Openers really need to make some big scores quickly. Better teams will chase down 280-290 with ease.

We'll not score 250 if Fakhar, Babar, Imam fail early against top teams.

Lets see all these confidence when we play against Ind/Aus/Eng/NZ teams. We were lucky that Saud played well along with Rizwan and Nawaz.
PCB was never serous of winning World Cup and more than satisfied winning 1992 cup. May be few hundred later when every country has 10-15 cups we may fluke 2nd one.
If a word be worth one shekel, silence be worth two.

Pak played well. Admittedly For much of the match Netherlands were the better team. Pak got the combination just right. This thread isn’t about the result it’s about finally seeing a team come together.

Of course a win is very important to start with, but to compete for the no 4 spot, Babar better starts opening. Also cant understand how people are saying Shadab bowled well. Once again he started very bad. his first overs went for plenty and he releases any kind of pressure build. Spin remains a huge worry. Also I saw the scenes in the dressing room with trophies being handed after defeating the Netherlands, the whole team culture is pathetic and Babar is the main reason for this. Mickey is just their to collect his money.

We probably need 6 wins to get a top 4 spot so good to get that one chalked off. By no means an excellent performance but we got the job done.

@pakistani pride I thought Shadab got better as his spell went on. He got some balls to grip and turn, there was definitely some zip there. It wasn't great but it was promising. It is a long tournament so I am actually pleased we have not come out all guns blazing with everything perfect - that will not last 9/10/11 games. It will be about finding form, rhythm and peaking at the right time.

Also in terms of handing out trophies...it is fine. Maybe it is better to pick and choose games and only do it if we beat India or Aus but the opposition is irrelevant. It is about creating a team environment where contributions are recognised and people are appreciated. It is a welcome change from the jealousy, back biting, sniping and scheming of the past. All credit to Babar for creating this, and, yes, hopefully we do the same after beating other teams too.

Agree 100% with this. He bowled really well. Nice consistent lines. In subcontinent I think it would be wise if our pacers don’t try to be too gung-ho and think you can just bowl every batsman out with their 140-145 deliveries. It just won’t happen. Bowl nice restrictive lines and be patient. I saw a really responsible and mature Hasán Ali yesterday.
At this stage of his career, he looks a better bowler when he's not trying too many different things.

Bowl back of a length, look to nibble the ball around and bowl a few cutters - that should do.

No form, no aggression, no confidence.

It's a huge worry when both openers are struggling.

Hasan Ali boweled well against Netherlands, not England/India/Australia. Are people forgetting how awful he has been. He should not have been in the squad. Only reason he is here is because of friendship with captain.

Perfect way to start the WC.

Better to play your first game vs. a minnow to warm up. Good middle order recovery. Will boost confidence.

Still a long way to go, take each game as it come.

I am usually optimistic but this performance does not give me much hope for the rest of the WC to be honest..but lets hope our top 3 step up for the big games.

Have a look at every single game in world cup so far and every team barring Pakistan are showing aggression and taking risks early on in PPs and looking to score every ball.

Even good balls are seeing singles or rubs taken off them. For Pakistan it's eat up dotballs and zero risks.

Bowlers bailed Pakistan out in 1st game.

Either babar or rizwan needs to open and almost play in T20 mode early on. Fakhar is a liability and imam is to selfish to take risks.

Saud was potentially the only real positive of this match. Opening pair is struggling, but at this point of a tournament, should stick with them considering we don't have any real proven alternatives. Hassan Ali's speeds are worrying when thinking about the other batting orders in this tournament.

Job well done but lot of areas for improvement such as top order form, powerplay score, run rate, setting strong total and taking wickets in first 5-10 overs. I think it would be better if Fakhar & Rizwan switch their batting position

Good analysis, Saj and I agree with what you say.

I was quite impressed with the way Hasan Ali bowled. He got the ball to move, and he generally bowled quite intelligently and within himself. I thought the way he set up Max O Dowd with the short ball was terrific. He may not be bowling at express pace, but I don't think that matters too much -- de Leede troubled us quite a bit, and he is by no means express. Sometimes all you need is the basics, and that is enough.

Job well done but lot of areas for improvement such as top order form, powerplay score, run rate, setting strong total and taking wickets in first 5-10 overs. I think it would be better if Fakhar & Rizwan switch their batting position
I would try Babar as an opener.

I am fearful that we will lose to SL and with confidence already low, this could turn into a total nightmare. IA I am totally wrong and people quote me to show me up.

Pakistan won handsomely in the end and that’s all it matters. They are off to a great start unlike England.

The pitches are batting friendly criticizing Pak bowling is unfair.

I like the team combo.. I just wish Fakhar would find some form. The batting lineup looks way better if we have an aggressive opener firing at the top order.

I would try Babar as an opener.
May be Babar can be a better opener, but he mostly starts playing his shots from the beginning itself simply because he is the best batsman in current lineup. If we lose Babar early, it will impact rest of the batting. On the other side I think Rizwan is more calm and mentally stronger than Babar and likes to play big innings. If Rizwan opens and stays for 15-20 overs and gets 50-60 runs at RR of 100-120 it will set the stage for following batters. Adam Gilchrist had strike rate of 96.9 in ODIs and he use to open for Australia. In ODIs, for wicketkeepers either opening or no. 6 or 7 is the best position.

Fakhar if he gets his form back will be more useful at no. 4 or 5 because he will have set target in mind. Currently both Imam & Fakhar are clueless when they open because they don't have set target in mind, and they start too slow which creates pressure on rest of the batsman.

Pakistan have a wonderful schedule. Hardly any travelling , great venues for opponents , easing into the comp. bu playing the weakest sides.

You can't ask for anything better at this point.

Yeah, I agree with this. Pakistan's schedule is very relaxed. No such travelling as they had to do in the Asia cup. They just have to focus on their cricket now.

In simple terms - play like they did against Netherlands and they will lose more matches than they will win at this World Cup.

Let's see what lessons have been learnt

One of the most important things is that it's not all the usual suspects who are helping Pakistan win.

Hassan, Saud and Abdullah all showing their value to the team so far.

Back