[VIDEO] "Match-fixing is still happening" Jarrod Kimber and David Lloyd

Asad T

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
This is a really riveting recent conversation about match-fixing with the Australian writer, Jarrod Kimber, and former England player, David Lloyd. It's really worth a watch.

Kimber's main argument is that spot-fixing in cricket is still rife today. One way to tell is that forensic accountants can spot HUGE bets (in the hundreds of millions of dollars) with large concentrations of money placed on very specific outcomes. If the players being bet on are playing suspiciously, it is quite telling. According to Kimber, many commentators talk openly about such corrupt players off-air, and it is also in the interest of the ICC not to go after these players because it will turn people off the game.

What do you think? Have you noticed any anomalies yourself? Personally, I have a feeling that spot-fixing runs rampent in francise leagues especially in the PSL / IPL and BPL and would like to see more journalists shed light on these betting anomalies.

Here are some notable quotes:

‘‘Off air the names that we have heard being linked to match fixing roll off the tongue, now we cannot say that on air. [to due legal resons].’’ Host

‘‘Match fixing still happens and there are still bits when I'm watching Cricket where I think to myself that doesn't make sense. I've seen I've seen bowlers bowl down the leg side with short fine leg up two balls in a row and then move the captain moves a fine leg back and they bring the third up and then he bowls wide outside off stump for the next ball and you think this is an incredibly accurate bowler how come he's managed to do this in the space of of a couple of balls.’’ Kimber

‘‘Bet Fair, the Exchange, they had a IPL game recently where I think 250 million was exchanged on one on one market so it would have been about 350 million pound exchanged on one game that wasn't even being played in England. So these International betters coming to Betfair to to do that, my guess is that that game would have had somewhere around 1 billion 1.2 billion traded on it internationally that game and it's never reported on. There's no one reporting on the gambling industry you watch what's happening in American Sports and you have a situation where they've just allowed legalized gambling and straight away when there's an anomaly in the gambling people write about it and they go this doesn't make sense this player is doing this and people are betting on it is this something that we need to look into we don't even cover that in cricket.’’ Kimber

‘‘When half a billion dollars is gambled on one cricket game no one even covers it, to me that that's where it starts.’’ Kimber

‘‘You can see the anomalies there are cricket games that are being played all around the world where you can see betting anomalies happening right in front of your eyes.’’ Kimber

“If you run if you run the ICC or you run the 100 right and you know a players is fixing you is it really in your best interest to flush out the story that you're play is are fixing? That's not going to help you sell tickets, it's not going to help you sell shirts, it's not going to help you get sponsors, so the people who are in charge of looking into corruption it's not in their best interest to find corruption.” Kimber

“Look at the fielding standards in the IPL at the moment people have been getting hit in the chops uh with the ball right there there was a guy on the boundary the other day was the it was like it was like you know catching a little throw from your friend and he managed to do this over his shoulder for six.”

The amount of money spent on cricket betting has gone up remarkably in the last couple of years and it seems to be getting higher all the time. When there is a lot of money, the chances of corruption will be always there.

Mostly talked about betting and then one or two statement regarding "I feel there is fixing"..... Along the lines.

Fixing has always been there. Those wo say there is no fixing are far far away from reality. Obviously, you won't be able to prove 99% of time but saying that there is nothing like this, is not a fair statement.

This is a really riveting recent conversation about match-fixing with the Australian writer, Jarrod Kimber, and former England player, David Lloyd. It's really worth a watch.

Kimber's main argument is that spot-fixing in cricket is still rife today. One way to tell is that forensic accountants can spot HUGE bets (in the hundreds of millions of dollars) with large concentrations of money placed on very specific outcomes. If the players being bet on are playing suspiciously, it is quite telling. According to Kimber, many commentators talk openly about such corrupt players off-air, and it is also in the interest of the ICC not to go after these players because it will turn people off the game.

What do you think? Have you noticed any anomalies yourself? Personally, I have a feeling that spot-fixing runs rampent in francise leagues especially in the PSL / IPL and BPL and would like to see more journalists shed light on these betting anomalies.

Here are some notable quotes:

‘‘Off air the names that we have heard being linked to match fixing roll off the tongue, now we cannot say that on air. [to due legal resons].’’ Host

‘‘Match fixing still happens and there are still bits when I'm watching Cricket where I think to myself that doesn't make sense. I've seen I've seen bowlers bowl down the leg side with short fine leg up two balls in a row and then move the captain moves a fine leg back and they bring the third up and then he bowls wide outside off stump for the next ball and you think this is an incredibly accurate bowler how come he's managed to do this in the space of of a couple of balls.’’ Kimber

‘‘Bet Fair, the Exchange, they had a IPL game recently where I think 250 million was exchanged on one on one market so it would have been about 350 million pound exchanged on one game that wasn't even being played in England. So these International betters coming to Betfair to to do that, my guess is that that game would have had somewhere around 1 billion 1.2 billion traded on it internationally that game and it's never reported on. There's no one reporting on the gambling industry you watch what's happening in American Sports and you have a situation where they've just allowed legalized gambling and straight away when there's an anomaly in the gambling people write about it and they go this doesn't make sense this player is doing this and people are betting on it is this something that we need to look into we don't even cover that in cricket.’’ Kimber

‘‘When half a billion dollars is gambled on one cricket game no one even covers it, to me that that's where it starts.’’ Kimber

‘‘You can see the anomalies there are cricket games that are being played all around the world where you can see betting anomalies happening right in front of your eyes.’’ Kimber

“If you run if you run the ICC or you run the 100 right and you know a players is fixing you is it really in your best interest to flush out the story that you're play is are fixing? That's not going to help you sell tickets, it's not going to help you sell shirts, it's not going to help you get sponsors, so the people who are in charge of looking into corruption it's not in their best interest to find corruption.” Kimber

“Look at the fielding standards in the IPL at the moment people have been getting hit in the chops uh with the ball right there there was a guy on the boundary the other day was the it was like it was like you know catching a little throw from your friend and he managed to do this over his shoulder for six.”

So basically if something doesn’t make sense to Kimber, then it gotta be fixing if some sort. This guy is so full of himself.

It's very obviously happening still. Now there is more cricket, more leagues and more opportunities for Indian bookies to get their claws into players and what everyone thinks the bookies have turned into monks?

It would be very easy for Kimber to reveal the matches and show a chart of betting spikes without doing anything illegal or libellous. The fans could make up their own minds.

But he would have a target on his back, and it's probably not worth risking his life over. Cronje's death went down as unexplained but in modern times the state most heavily involved in match-fixing is now carrying out assassinations of dissidents overseas so he could be in their sights if he speaks too much.

Fixing has always been there. Those wo say there is no fixing are far far away from reality. Obviously, you won't be able to prove 99% of time but saying that there is nothing like this, is not a fair statement.
Accusing people without proof is also not fair. Only make accusations when you can prove it.

Accusing people without proof is also not fair. Only make accusations when you can prove it.
Exactly. It is very easy to use a few words and say that he did this and he did that but when it comes to real evidence, people just vanish. Fixing exists but until proven, a player will stay innocent.

This has been going for too long now; Amir, Salman and Asif were just easy preys although players from other big teams still do this today especially in new found 10 overs unsanctioned leagues.
They got caught for 2 reasons.

A) Mazhar was video tapped, most fixing scandals don't have bookies being followed. Mazhar was an amateur who couldn't cover his tracks and hence drew suspicion to himself, he was being followed for a while.

B) Amir confessed instantly which made it very very easy to convict all 3 immediately, had Amir denied it would have taken a bit longer due to various court hearings and typical court room drama. Although they still would have been convicted at the end.

The News of the world entrapment of the Pakistan trio was a revenge plot brewing for many years due to various run ins with Pakistani players.

Exactly. It is very easy to use a few words and say that he did this and he did that but when it comes to real evidence, people just vanish. Fixing exists but until proven, a player will stay innocent.
The facts are that billions are exchanged due to Match/ spot fixing because the bookies have inside contacts and either player intermediaries or direct contact in order to make money.

Without this the bookies cant make a penny.

The ICC know the indian underground bookies have these links and connections but choose to ignore rather than investigate it because it doesn't suit their agenda.

The News of the world entrapment of the Pakistan trio was a revenge plot brewing for many years due to various run ins with Pakistani players.
It’s not entrapment when you lure a greedy grubby cheat. A cheat bit on the lure, little did he know the line attached to the lure.

There is a reason the likes of Tendulkar, Dravid, Anwar, Vaas, De Silva, Ranatunga etc were never ‘entrapped’. I’d say if anyone of them had been ‘entrapped’ it would have been a much more prominent story.

It’s not entrapment when you lure a greedy grubby cheat. A cheat bit on the lure, little did he know the line attached to the lure.

There is a reason the likes of Tendulkar, Dravid, Anwar, Vaas, De Silva, Ranatunga etc were never ‘entrapped’. I’d say if anyone of them had been ‘entrapped’ it would have been a much more prominent story.
It is entrapment because the News of the world came with that intention which is why they sent mazhar majeed rather than paul smith.

CSK and Rajasthan were banned for 2 years in IPL

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoying the podcasts with Bumble and Kimber. Well moderated by Jon Norman who's unafraid to ask some piercing questions.

On YouTube and worth a watch.

Back