[VIDEO] 'No time to experiment with Iftikhar Ahmed or Mohammad Haris' : Imam-ul-Haq

Does seem like he’s been dropped for undermining the captain/management in public. To be fair it was a pretty dumb comment, although I really wish they played literally anyone else than Shan Masood

Does seem like he’s been dropped for undermining the captain/management in public. To be fair it was a pretty dumb comment, although I really wish they played literally anyone else than Shan Masood

That would be horrific.

Not played since he made this statement.

Coincidence or deliberate?

I don't understand the thinking behind benching Imam. The guy already bearly plays international cricket because PCB has been avoiding ODIs, and when he finally gets a chance to play they bench him for a 33 year old Shan Masood.

Are they trying to replace him before the World Cup?

Not played since he made this statement.

Coincidence or deliberate?

Deliberate in my opinion. Why would they rest him? He has hardly played much cricket in the last few months.

It is clear he has been dropped because of that statement and than he made a very dumb tweet.

Thing is, babar would never drop his friend, so had him dropped? Was it Coach abdul Rehman, najam sethi, shakil sheikh or who? Or wast it director Arthur?
[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] whats your assumption, whomight have dropped him

It cant be babar

It is clear he has been dropped because of that statement and than he made a very dumb tweet.

Thing is, babar would never drop his friend, so had him dropped? Was it Coach abdul Rehman, najam sethi, shakil sheikh or who? Or wast it director Arthur?

It cant be babar

It is probably Sethi’s call and I fear for Imam’s future as long as he is the chairman.

For Sethi, Masood is better than Tendulkar, Lara, Viv Richards and Bradman combined. He saw an opportunity to get him back in the team and he took advantage of it.

If my hunch is correct then Babar needs to take a firm stand. It is pathetic to see one of the best ODI openers in the world get dropped for a hopeless, pathetic player like Masood.

Pakistan is not playing a lot of matches before the World Cup and Imam needs to play every match to stay in rhythm.

Sethi probably been advised by that paragon of virtue, Shakil

He needs to get better advisors or trust his own gut instinct or this whole thing will become a farce.

If Imam is dropped then it is a pathetic call irrespective of what he has said in the press. Shan Masood is a useless player and it will cost Pakistan big time should they persist with him.

Shan has not achieved anything in international cricket to be given such priority chances.

Not a fan of Imam, but he has been improving and has performances to merit his selection

What a cry baby. For the first time in a very long time I will be cheering for Shan to score big today.

When in doubt, invoke the name of God so no one can argue with you :)). I've seen this tactic used a fair bit for the over-the-top Rizwan hate on PP.

It is probably Sethi’s call and I fear for Imam’s future as long as he is the chairman.

For Sethi, Masood is better than Tendulkar, Lara, Viv Richards and Bradman combined. He saw an opportunity to get him back in the team and he took advantage of it.

If my hunch is correct then Babar needs to take a firm stand. It is pathetic to see one of the best ODI openers in the world get dropped for a hopeless, pathetic player like Masood.

Pakistan is not playing a lot of matches before the World Cup and Imam needs to play every match to stay in rhythm.

Might be the best thing Sethi has ever done as chairman. Now he needs to swallow his pride and bring Sharjeel back.

I dont think Sethi would do such a thing. People make sethi look like a dictator when infact he takes the consensus of all stakeholders.

I wonder who is the guy making these controversial calls

Sethi probably been advised by that paragon of virtue, Shakil

He needs to get better advisors or trust his own gut instinct or this whole thing will become a farce.

Heres an interesting thing, Sheikh Shakil is actually not really bad terms with Babar, so we dont know if its him or not.

I used to think he was agaisnt Babar but then i learned he was the guy who gave Babar a chance from islamabad when Lahore used to ignore him and not give him games. Maybe their terms broke down, but Babar still appreciates Sheikh's help

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Life is an unexpected journey so never expect anything from anyone”. Be patient, Allah is watching❗️</p>— Imam Ul Haq (@ImamUlHaq12) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImamUlHaq12/status/1655128343077875716?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 7, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So much of this cryptic stuff!

I sympathise with Imam. The guy averages 50+ in ODIs, yet gets dropped for awful Shan Masood. I would be livid if that happened to me.

How this guy is made an example of and Rizwan gets his way is so baffling!

It cant be babar

It's obvious he's been dropped due to the statement he made.

The captain and coach have probably been told not to pick him.

It's probably a case of trying to teach him a lesson.

But why him though and not everyone’s darling Rizwan?

How can a player publicly complain about his batting position and get his way?

but who do you think it might be? Sethi, Shakil Sheikh? Mickey Arthur?

Its really hard to pin point one guy

I sympathise with Imam. The guy averages 50+ in ODIs, yet gets dropped for awful Shan Masood. I would be livid if that happened to me.

You do not criticise your employer on a public forum, thats rule number one!

But why him though and not everyone’s darling Rizwan?

How can a player publicly complain about his batting position and get his way?

We all know the answer, hypocrisy and double standards when it comes to the righteous Rizwan.

Then why didn't darling Rizwan get dropped when he complained about his batting position? Instead of getting dropped, they actually gave into his demand and played him at #4 in the subsequent matches. Talk about double standards.

Babar and Imam are buddies.

The fact that Babar has not been able to take a stand for Imam shows that the orders have indeed come from above to drop him. Even if Shan scored 2 centuries in the chances he got, he was never going to replace the top 3 of Fakhar, Imam and Babar. The only place Shan can remotely have a place is number 5 so why would you play him as an opener?

Clearly politics at play. It's so sad that some people cannot see beyond their own ego. They would rather jeopardise national interest than keep their ego in check.

According to reporters Imam complained of a hamstring problem due to which he was rested for the fourth ODI. He claimed to have recovered for the final odi but the team management wanted him to rest and not rush back so soon.

It is ok i think , shan was badly exposed for the millionth time in the last match.

InshaAllah , we will get rid of shan for good. They cant keep imam out of odis.

Babar and Imam are buddies.

The fact that Babar has not been able to take a stand for Imam shows that the orders have indeed come from above to drop him. Even if Shan scored 2 centuries in the chances he got, he was never going to replace the top 3 of Fakhar, Imam and Babar. The only place Shan can remotely have a place is number 5 so why would you play him as an opener?

Clearly politics at play. It's so sad that some people cannot see beyond their own ego. They would rather jeopardise national interest than keep their ego in check.

Yes, exactly. This is in line with what Rameez has said as well. That the order to play Shan came from elsewhere.

Makes your blood boil. We are on the cusp of what could be our best WC yet, but we are still plagued by this same toxic sifarishi culture that has existed for decades now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Life is an unexpected journey so never expect anything from anyone”. Be patient, Allah is watching❗️</p>— Imam Ul Haq (@ImamUlHaq12) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImamUlHaq12/status/1655128343077875716?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 7, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Babar Azam in his presser

“I haven’t checked my mobile and don’t know what Imam has tweeted"

“There are no disgruntled players in our team and the unity is good. We try to resolve our matters within ourselves and not take them out,”

“We are like a family and our trust level is very good. I don’t think Imam’s tweet would be related to him being excluded from final two ODIs"

Why do we feel that everything that our cricketers' tweet is some sort of a cryptic message? Our journalists are so obsessed with analyzing these tweets that Babar was even asked about this tweet in his press conference :facepalm:

Why do we feel that everything that our cricketers' tweet is some sort of a cryptic message? Our journalists are so obsessed with analyzing these tweets that Babar was even asked about this tweet in his press conference :facepalm:

Because it came after he had been mysteriously dropped for 2 games.

I'm surprised he didn't play in at least one of the last 2 ODIs against NZ. He was in good form and had momentum.

It's almost like others had to play, regardless.

I'm surprised he didn't play in at least one of the last 2 ODIs against NZ. He was in good form and had momentum.

It's almost like others had to play, regardless.
I don't think there is much in it. They know Fakhar and Imam will be opening and wanted to give the 3rd opener game time and/ or see if he's worth taking to the WC.
Shan deserves the chances for his domestic performances as much as a mediocre international player as he's proven to be.

He was dropped.

Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen and Rauf all have confirmed places yet they did not make way to give others a try.

Who did he criticize?

He was asked if the bench players should be given a chance. He gave his opinion that no, it is too late. How is that a criticism of the team management?

Yes, exactly. This is in line with what Rameez has said as well. That the order to play Shan came from elsewhere.

Makes your blood boil. We are on the cusp of what could be our best WC yet, but we are still plagued by this same toxic sifarishi culture that has existed for decades now.

Oh please this team has no chance of winning. 2019 we had a chance and 2011. Our next real chance will be when we have a proper captain and middle order. Also a few fast bowlers who can handle pressure would be decent.

Then why didn't darling Rizwan get dropped when he complained about his batting position? Instead of getting dropped, they actually gave into his demand and played him at #4 in the subsequent matches. Talk about double standards.
Rizwan at number 4 is our biggest weakness. He should be have been reprimanded as well.

Imam crossed all lines twice. Made it worse by that silly tweet.

Who did he criticize?

He was asked if the bench players should be given a chance. He gave his opinion that no, it is too late. How is that a criticism of the team management?

Who tweeted ‘Allah is watching’?

Looks like he was disciplined. As surely he would have come in for Fakhar in the final match to give a Fakhar a rest and also Fakhar was not in great form at Karachi?

Who tweeted ‘Allah is watching’?

That was after he was dropped. He was dropped for giving his opinion.

When you score 90 in your last game and get dropped for a third rate player, you have every right to be critical.

But how exactly are you teaching him a lesson? By bringing in a guy who is the biggest parchi in the history of Pakistan cricket. This whole thing is a bloody mess. Sethi should be ashamed of himself. This is exactly how you break and create divisions within your team.

When you score 90 in your last game and get dropped for a third rate player, you have every right to be critical.

I think Shan scored alright in the 4th ODI so they wanted to give him another game. Fakhar could have been rested but then I don’t think Pakistan wanted to open with 2 similar nature of players in Imam and Shan.

Which is ironic because we open with Babar and Rizwan in T20i lol

Imam might have slightly overreacted

He does but it would be a better look to simply not say anything. He is obviously the first-choice opener.

I don't think this is the worst thing in the world. We can finally get rid of Masood once and for all and this gives Imam extra motivation to dominate the two tournaments later in the year.

I have no issues with Imaam being rested as it gave pakistan a chance to test thier bench strength in which Shan failed.

He does but it would be a better look to simply not say anything. He is obviously the first-choice opener.

I don't think this is the worst thing in the world. We can finally get rid of Masood once and for all and this gives Imam extra motivation to dominate the two tournaments later in the year.

He could have handled the question differently but he wasn’t expecting to be asked that question. It was quite poor by the journalist to ask such a question from a player who is not in a leadership role.

However, there was no need for PCB to overreact. Imam did not say anything offensive and it could have been water under the bridge and no one would taken note of what he said.

The made it mainstream by reacting to it. A private word with Imam would have been sufficient.

Unfortunately, Masood is not going anywhere because his selection does not depend on his performance. The only saving grace is that he is not going to play any matches at the World Cup unless either Imam or Fakhar get injured.

I think Shan scored alright in the 4th ODI so they wanted to give him another game. Fakhar could have been rested but then I don’t think Pakistan wanted to open with 2 similar nature of players in Imam and Shan.

Which is ironic because we open with Babar and Rizwan in T20i lol

Imam might have slightly overreacted

Shan should have never played the fourth ODI in the first place. Pakistan does not play enough ODIs to adopt a rotation policy. Let the same batting lineup play.

He could have moaned behind closed doors though. He is in a contract.

Rizwan at number 4 is our biggest weakness. He should be have been reprimanded as well.

Imam crossed all lines twice. Made it worse by that silly tweet.

What did Iman even do wrong? He tweeted "Allah is watching" after getting unfairly dropped for a parchi Shan Masood. He has every right to be annoyed.

What did Iman even do wrong? He tweeted "Allah is watching" after getting unfairly dropped for a parchi Shan Masood. He has every right to be annoyed.

Have you worked for a business ever? If you have an issue with your employer you go speak with them. You do not tweet about it. I would sack such cry babies.

Classic examples of players just needing to say speak to the management/captain when baited. Simples.

Very poor if the statement is really the reason for his omission.

Given Asia Cup hangs in balance, PAK need all the match practice they can get. Why drop someone who is sure to be on the plane to IND or wherever the play PAK’s matches?

If anything, would have made sense to drop Fakhar given he’s played more matches recently as he plays T20Is too.

Junaid Khan on this topic:

"When Imam wasn't a part of the World Cup squad, he used to sit on television and share his analysis, which in my opinion, is wrong - PCB shouldn't have permitted that. If Imam criticized anyone or pointed fingers at others, it would eventually impact the team's unity. But apparently, we are far away from acknowledging these factors"

"Imam started giving his personal opinions even during pressers that Haris shouldn't play or not, likewise if Iftikhar should play or not. Neither he is captain nor a vice-captain - so how can he give opinions in the air like these?'

"When Imam wasn't a part of the World Cup squad, he used to sit on television and share his analysis, which in my opinion, is wrong - PCB shouldn't have permitted that. If Imam criticized anyone or pointed fingers at others, it would eventually impact the team's unity. But apparently, we are far away from acknowledging these factors"

"Imam started giving his personal opinions even during pressers that Haris shouldn't play or not, likewise if Iftikhar should play or not. Neither he is captain nor a vice-captain - so how can he give opinions in the air like these?'

Ooft, no holds barred there, maybe he should follow his own advice.

And this is down to PCB incompetence in allowing him to do these things.

Mickey Arthur in his interview with Saj:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What did Mickey Arthur think about Imam-ul-Haq's comment regarding Mohammad Haris and Iftikhar Ahmed during the ODI series against New Zealand <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/s7O8OWdw88">https://t.co/s7O8OWdw88</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1657728383801802753?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 14, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What did Mickey Arthur think about Imam-ul-Haq's comment regarding Mohammad Haris and Iftikhar Ahmed during the ODI series against New Zealand <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/s7O8OWdw88">https://t.co/s7O8OWdw88</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1657728383801802753?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 14, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Excuse me if I'm wrong that is a very thick teesside accent!

Not convinced Mickey is telling the truth here, definitely seems to be more to it.

Did you ask him about Rizwan’s theatrical interview about being unhappy at 5?

Obviously Mickey wasn't impressed with Imam's antics.

He couldn't reveal what he's said to Imam, but I can imagine it was along the lines of "put brain in gear, before opening mouth".

Shadab Khan speaking in an interview:

“Selectors must better know about the squad, but I believe as a player, in my opinion, when you get regular opportunities, you perform better. Along with that, we don't have enough time to shuffle or make frequent changes. We should go with the same team for the World Cup or Asia Cup because this team is gelled and has been performing consistently"

“The confidence that comes with good performance is different and boosts your morale extensively. Almost every player in the squad has performed well, and when you participate in any big tournament with a same combination of players, then your overall performance as a unit leaves a robust impact on the field"

“Selectors must better know about the squad, but I believe as a player, in my opinion, when you get regular opportunities, you perform better. Along with that, we don't have enough time to shuffle or make frequent changes. We should go with the same team for the World Cup or Asia Cup because this team is gelled and has been performing consistently"

“The confidence that comes with good performance is different and boosts your morale extensively. Almost every player in the squad has performed well, and when you participate in any big tournament with a same combination of players, then your overall performance as a unit leaves a robust impact on the field"

Na mate

You better pull your socks up or sit out for Mir, and we can bring in a proper all rounder who can actually bat

shadab has shown his peak... dont hold ur breath on him... he is a top notch bits nd pieces player that will never come good but give just enough of minimalistic performances that selecters will be hooked onto him... hopefully he becomes either a solid bat or a solid bowler, coz he is an avg to decent bowler and a below avg to an avg bat... a solid fielder... need one more solid tick mark from him... on the field...

shadab has shown his peak... dont hold ur breath on him... he is a top notch bits nd pieces player that will never come good but give just enough of minimalistic performances that selecters will be hooked onto him... hopefully he becomes either a solid bat or a solid bowler, coz he is an avg to decent bowler and a below avg to an avg bat... a solid fielder... need one more solid tick mark from him... on the field...

Best thing that Shadab can do for himself is to think himself as a bowler who can bat a bit.

He thinks he is a top order batter and thats the issue.

Shadab the bowler has a key role to play in white ball.

Which translates to. No don't try any other players as I don't want to lose my spot in the team.

Cife Selector Haroon Rasheed speaking about Imam's tweet:

"You often say something on social media to increase your followers and to get people’s reactions. There are cricketers around the world who also use social media. It is mentioned in your central contract that what benchmarks you need to follow. If you violate them, then obviously there will be some repercussions"

"All our cricketers are professionals and they know that sometimes they will be part of the team and sometimes they will sit out. I feel that whoever is part of the 15-member squad, can become part of playing XI at any time. Even the four that sit out, should support others while considering themselves as being part of the playing XI,"

"I think more maturity will come with time as we are not used to this kind of changes. I think things will get better with time"

Well both are in the team tomorrow.

So experimenting is definitely happening!

I'm excited to see Haris bat tomorrow. He's a guy who loves to take on the bowlers. He did an interview recently where he talked about getting hit on the head by Wayne Parnell. His reaction was, "how dare you hit a pathan!" and he went on a rampage against the likes of Rabada and Nortje.
Compare that with Aga Salman who got hit in the face against a spinner and goes deeper into his shell.
It is fresh to see this attitude in a batting line up where everyone is an accululator

I'm excited to see Haris bat tomorrow. He's a guy who loves to take on the bowlers. He did an interview recently where he talked about getting hit on the head by Wayne Parnell. His reaction was, "how dare you hit a pathan!" and he went on a rampage against the likes of Rabada and Nortje.
Compare that with Aga Salman who got hit in the face against a spinner and goes deeper into his shell.
It is fresh to see this attitude in a batting line up where everyone is an accumulator
Haris plays pace better than spin. That's why he was opener in last T20WC and no.6 finisher in Emerging Asia Cup.

Babar shouldn't have send him in middle overs. Shadab, Nawaz & Wasim jnr type of guys have better chance of surviving that middle phase than him.

Haris has right attitude. He's the only player we have who wants to play modern game. He is necessity when Fakhar, unfortunately, is so out of form.

As per reports, Imam could be in trouble for the alleged leaks from the Pakistan dressing room.

As per reports, Imam could be in trouble for the alleged leaks from the Pakistan dressing room.
wait what? He leaked the news? Why would he do that? The leaks made babar look more bad

i thought it would had been Shaheen Afridi via Shahid Afridi had shaheen not been made look bad.

Stupid stuff by Imam.

I am surprised..if he really is the one..as he is Babar’s best friend.. shouldnt have done that.. Also, he doesnt seem to be the one, who woukd do something so childish.. really seemed sensible to me, from his interviews

Also..I dont think PCB, would take any substantial action against him, that too..just before a worldcup..when he is the only stable and in form opener we have right now…maybe just a warning for now..

I am surprised..if he really is the one..as he is Babar’s best friend.. shouldnt have done that.. Also, he doesnt seem to be the one, who woukd do something so childish.. really seemed sensible to me, from his interviews

Also..I dont think PCB, would take any substantial action against him, that too..just before a worldcup..when he is the only stable and in form opener we have right now…maybe just a warning for now..

What we don't know is what he actually said

"Yaar we had a big discussion after the game" vs "We had a big fight..."

Chinese whispers, no proof, no recording.

Imam as we know does speak his mind (see his statement in post #1)

Wouldn’t be surprised. He may not have been injured enough either to have sat on against Sri Lanka

Something really is fishy about the whole situation

So by the looks of it,

Babar, Shaheen, Shadab, Imam

All divided

Ngl, I still stand by what I said months ago.

Ifti and haris should not have been experimented with.

Ifti is useless and nothing will make me change my mind. Haris can be a useful no 7 though but let's be honest. He's a waste of space in the squad if rizwan is their, and rizwan ain't going nowhere.

Back