[VIDEO/PICTURES] Was Shubman Gill fairly given out in the 2nd innings of WTC23 Final?

Was Shubman Gill fairly given out in the 2nd innings of WTC23 Final?

• Total voters
How much more influence BCCI can get, from scheduling to ground selection to as much as possible umpiring calls are influenced by BCCi. Anything more and it would become a total farce. Last year in the T20 wc against bdesh, umpires made poor bdeshi players play in rain so that india gets a chance to win the match as Bdesh was so far ahead as per D/L when the rain interrupted the match. If India is still not able to win any trophy then the issue is competency and nothing else.

So if BCCI 'scheduled' matches, ground selection, influenced umpiring/rain/climate/covid restrictions/cure for cancer/lack of fizz in ya soda/beached whales/melting icebergs, why arent we winning any ICC tournaments/finals since 2013? Did the thought cross your mind that the bcci is influencing everything is a supreme coat hanger to hang your coat on, a wonderful way to blame everything on them - and instead of looking inwards -u blame cmpetency...what a farce....
end of the day, even if we loose this match -the two best teams in the world over the last 2 years are playing an enthralling match...

"We should not create a dispute over this. We should accept the decision of the Third umpire," Rajeev Shukla told ANI.

Speaking about the dismissal, Rohit Sharma stated that Kettleborough reached the conclusion a bit quickly and should have seen more replays before taking the call. He also went on to say that there more camera angles in the Indian Premier League than the WTC final.

"I just felt disappointed with - not enough. I mean, the third umpire should have seen a little more replays, a little more of, you know, how the catch has been held. I think it was three or four times he saw and he was convinced with it. It's not about whether it was given out or not out, you need to have proper and clear information about anything. It's just not about the catch, it can be about anything. That was, that is something that I was a little disappointed with - the decision was made quite quickly,"

"When a catch like that has been taken, you need to be more than 100% sure because it's a final and we were at that important stage of the game as well. So that was to me a little disappointing. And more camera angles should have been shown. There was only one or two camera angles that were shown. We've got more angles in IPL. We've got 10 different angles in IPL. I don't know why in a world event like this, there was no ultra motion that was seen or any kind of zoomed image was seen. That is what I was a little disappointed with,"

Lets face facts.

Had India won the WTC final, then Gill's dismissal would have been forgotten.

Given India lost the WTC in humiliating fashion, not only will his wicket be debated, but India will be left thinking had it not been out, was there a chance for India to win.

IMO, no, Gill may have fluked a few Test innings, but he was found out by Aussie bowlers and would have been out in the next over anyway.

Nothing better than living rent free in the minds of Indians fans.

:)

FyWU14XaAAA4wGp

Chalo .. because of this decision, this final will forever be known as the 'Tainted Test. :rabada2

If someone is watching cricket for the first time, for them they can argue the ball is touching the ground whilst in the fielders hands and hence shouldn't be given OUT, but if someone's watched cricket for at least a decade or two, they will know it is as OUT as out can get. No where has the fielder lost the control of the ball with two fingers and a thumb wrapped around the ball and this is before his hand and subsequently some part of the ball gets in contact with the ground. That's my two cents in the matter.

So if BCCI 'scheduled' matches, ground selection, influenced umpiring/rain/climate/covid restrictions/cure for cancer/lack of fizz in ya soda/beached whales/melting icebergs, why arent we winning any ICC tournaments/finals since 2013? Did the thought cross your mind that the bcci is influencing everything is a supreme coat hanger to hang your coat on, a wonderful way to blame everything on them - and instead of looking inwards -u blame cmpetency...what a farce....
end of the day, even if we loose this match -the two best teams in the world over the last 2 years are playing an enthralling match...

I don't know if curing cancer or icebergs could help indian cricket in any manner but you can do more research on that area. Why we are not winning is simple - incompetency. Even after being provided with best of everything from scheduling to pitches to whatever influence possible, we still loose. Unfortunately, incompetency has no cure. Just by fans shouting non stop that Kohli is goat, Rohit is atg and Ashwin is the best spinner ever, they won't become ones. They all are good but overrated cricketers and fans like you start drinking the kool aid that media sells to you and then wonder why we don't win anything. And 2 best teams in a group of 3 or 4 as SA/WI anyway don't care about the test cricket.

Last edited:

Btw what exactly are you suggesting since you seem to be quite worked up while typing. What exactly should I look inward at instead of blaming competency? I wasn't playing so nothing for me to look inward. And i am not blaming bcci for loosing, i am saying inspite of bcci providing everything they could possibly do, we still loose because we aren't competent enough. Just so that you understand it this time, here's an analogy - As they say, one ( bcci) can lead (facilitate with scheduling/pitches) a horse ( Indian team) to the water (icc cups) but u can't make him drink (win).

If someone is watching cricket for the first time, for them they can argue the ball is touching the ground whilst in the fielders hands and hence shouldn't be given OUT, but if someone's watched cricket for at least a decade or two, they will know it is as OUT as out can get. No where has the fielder lost the control of the ball with two fingers and a thumb wrapped around the ball and this is before his hand and subsequently some part of the ball gets in contact with the ground. That's my two cents in the matter.

If you think Cameron Green was in control of his body movement at the time the ball came into contact with the ground, you either don’t understand what it means to be control of your body or you have never watched cricket before, which makes your “but if someone’s watched cricket for at least a decade of two” comment pure comedy.

He was falling over and the ball was in contact with the ground. It couldn’t be more conclusive that this was a massive goof up by the tv umpire. It was a terrible decision but not a match defining one because Australia would have still won.

That is clearly out..

People are just looking at that one still picture from behind and assuming that's the first point of contact between the fielder and the ball. In reality, Green had already caught it mid-air and then due to the natural body motion, his hand went ahead and touched the ground and with that..the ball too. He had complete control over the ball and as you can see in the picture above, his fingers were clearly underneath the ball and he was having a firm grasp.

You are completely wrong.

He was not in control of his body movement because he was diving/falling over. The part of the ball in between his index and middle fingers was in contact with the ground before he had full control of the ball.

If you catch the ball mid-air and it pops out of your hand as you hit the ground, it will be a dropped catch even though you had control of the ball before you tumbled.

A catch is deemed complete when you have control of both the ball and your body movement. In this situation the ball touched the ground before he had control of his body movement, hence not out.

Indians have never been good losers. Green's fingers are clearly between ground and the ball, don;t know what's this all fuss about.

Here's my take on it. If you follow the law very literally, this should probably be given out. But there's room for interpretation. The third umpire could argue that Green had his fingers underneath the ball and was in firm control. The touching of the ground didn't help him control the ball, it didn't pop out at any stage, etc. It just so happens that it was a low catch and his hand had to touch the ground at some point. It really isn't as black and white as some Indian posters here are making it out to be. Could've gone either way depending on your interpretation.

This looks doctored

The actual tweet is this

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="qme" dir="ltr">&#55357;&#56590;&#55357;&#56590;&#55358;&#56614;&#55356;&#57339;*♂️ <a href="https://t.co/pOnHYfgb6L">pic.twitter.com/pOnHYfgb6L</a></p>— Shubman Gill (@ShubmanGill) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShubmanGill/status/1667581278365929472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 10, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Meanwhile, India batter Shubman Gill has been fined 15 per cent of his match fee for breaching Level 1 of the ICC Code of Conduct.

Gill was found to have breached Article 2.7 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to “public criticism of, or inappropriate comment in relation to an incident occurring in an international match.”

In addition to this, one demerit point has been added to Gill’s disciplinary record, for whom it was the first offence in a 24-month period.

The incident occurred after the fourth day’s play when Gill criticised the umpiring decision for his dismissal in the second innings of the match on social media. Gill too accepted the sanction, so there was no need for a formal hearing.

On-field umpires Richard Illingworth and Chris Gaffaney, third umpire Richard Kettleborough and fourth umpire Kumar Dharmasena leveled the charges.

Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand, a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player’s match fee, and one or two demerit points.

ICC

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="qme" dir="ltr">��������*♂️ <a href="https://t.co/pOnHYfgb6L">pic.twitter.com/pOnHYfgb6L</a></p>— Shubman Gill (@ShubmanGill) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShubmanGill/status/1667581278365929472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 10, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
This looks doctored

The actual tweet is this

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="qme" dir="ltr">��������*♂️ <a href="https://t.co/pOnHYfgb6L">pic.twitter.com/pOnHYfgb6L</a></p>— Shubman Gill (@ShubmanGill) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShubmanGill/status/1667581278365929472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 10, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

First is from Instagram and this with facepalm emoji is from tweeter.

Root given out, catch taken by Smith - looked tight but in the end seemed like a straightforward decision

VyWuMWu.png

Human error can happen. We should respect decisions from umpires.

A good team shouldn't cry over one bad decision.

Back