[VIDEO] Shoaib Malik and Fortune Barishal owner refute claims of 'fixing'

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs

Full statement by Shoaib Malik:

Official statement ; I would like to address and dismiss the recent rumors circulating about my playing position with Fortune Barishal. I had a thorough discussion with our captain, Tamim Iqbal, and we mutually planned the way forward. I had to leave Bangladesh for a pre-committed media engagement in Dubai.

I extend my best wishes to Fortune Barishal for their upcoming matches, and if needed, I am available to support them if needs be.

I have always found joy in playing the game and will continue to do so.I want to emphasize the importance of exercising caution when it comes to rumors, especially those circulating recently.

I want to make it clear that I strongly refute these baseless rumors. It's crucial for everyone to verify information before believing and spreading it.

Falsehoods can harm reputations and create unnecessary confusion. Let's prioritize accuracy and rely on credible sources to ensure a clear understanding of the facts.

Thank you for your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your love & support as always.

The rumor machine got way out of hand on this one.

I'm glad he has been cleared of suspicion. It's not difficult to see why these rumours were circulated and who circulated them.

I'm glad he has been cleared of suspicion. It's not difficult to see why these rumours were circulated and who circulated them.

Started by Indian media because of a slow news day?

Malik has always had issues with bowling No balls throughout his career.

There is definitely nothing sinister.

This nonsense needs to be put to bed.

Let the investigators do their job.

If there was any suspicion to the betting trends after those 3 no balls and anything report there will be an investigation. If nothing than nothing is going to happen.

The relevant people should investigate it

If there was any suspicion to the betting trends after those 3 no balls and anything report there will be an investigation. If nothing than nothing is going to happen.

No balls are part and parcel of the game.

The merit of the report should be verified before an investigation is carried out.

The media outlet and its reporter should be sued if this is not credible and Malik should make a case for slander and defamation against his name.

This will stop false reporting in future as they know there will be consequences.

That’s not what you said earlier is it? Why did you mention 2010?

No balls are part and parcel of the game.

The merit of the report should be verified before an investigation is carried out.

The media outlet and its reporter should be sued if this is not credible and Malik should make a case for slander and defamation against his name.

This will stop false reporting in future as they know there will be consequences.
yes they are part of the game, but the icc can investigate any match they want at any time. THey dont need to wait for report.

Initial investigation starts when betting trends show a spike in bets on a certain event after a particular event taking place.

The owner himself had sparked the rumours in the first place. He had earlier said on live TV that Malik needs to be investigated by the ACU.

Of course the Fortune Barisal owner will refute allegation. Why wud he admit in public & sully his team's reputation ? Just like CSK owners disowned their pwner's son - in law when caught red handed

Why wud any player or team owner admit they are indulging in match fixing. Even in 2010 the then PCB chief Ejaz Butt & those 3 players denied any match fixing even after getting caught red handed

Look spinner bowling 3 no balls in 1 over can never be anything but fishy. The fact that SHoab Malik was thrwon out immediately after this game proves something went wrong. Else all this is just mother of coincidences

Now its up to ICC & BCB to investigate. Or they can just look the other way. Pretty sure BCB will try to ignore all this - bcoz their leaguie's reputation will go to mud

The owner himself had sparked the rumours in the first place. He had earlier said on live TV that Malik needs to be investigated by the ACU.
Exactly. Now he is backtracking most likely bcoz BCB officials told him that these allegations can tarnish the entire league & bring everyone under a scanner

Remember few years back BPL was stopped due to rampant match fixing. They dont want a repeat

bro, the owner himself accused Malik. Any media will pick that up.

Alot of people did not even know about the 2010 events of Malik, and now this case will create linkage to that.

Of course the Fortune Barisal owner will refute allegation. Why wud he admit in public & sully his team's reputation ? Just like CSK owners disowned their pwner's son - in law when caught red handed

Why wud any player or team owner admit they are indulging in match fixing. Even in 2010 the then PCB chief Ejaz Butt & those 3 players denied any match fixing even after getting caught red handed

Look spinner bowling 3 no balls in 1 over can never be anything but fishy. The fact that SHoab Malik was thrwon out immediately after this game proves something went wrong. Else all this is just mother of coincidences

Now its up to ICC & BCB to investigate. Or they can just look the other way. Pretty sure BCB will try to ignore all this - bcoz their leaguie's reputation will go to mud
Bro he is 45 years old hardly plays any cricket and doesnt bowl much.

3 no balls isn't that big a deal in context.

Bro he is 45 years old hardly plays any cricket and doesnt bowl much.

3 no balls isn't that big a deal in context.
For an fast bowler 3 no balls in 1 over is no big deal

For a spinner to bowl 3 no balls in 1 over - well if u think it was not fixing, then u are naive

Anyways unless there is proper investigation we wud never know. That's exactly what wud happen. BCB wont want to get embroiled in another match fixing scam & wreck their BPL again !

So Shoaib Malik fans need not worry. Just like Wasim Akram was never actually found guilty of any wrongdoing !

Last edited by a moderator:
Its bit of a moot point isn't it that the owner and the concerned player denied of fixing. Has any owner or player ever proactively told that they did fix games? LOL. These is the job of authorities to find out the guilty party.

Even Amir, Asif and Butt denied of fixing in 2010. Butt remained in denial for 2 straight years. There is no smoke without fire and these denial by players/franchise owners means nothing.

Its bit of a moot point isn't it that the owner and the concerned player denied of fixing. Has any owner or player ever proactively told that they did fix games? LOL. These is the job of authorities to find out the guilty party.

Even Amir, Asif and Butt denied of fixing in 2010. Butt remained in denial for 2 straight years. There is no smoke without fire and these denial by players/franchise owners means nothing.
Thats the point. No sane team owner will ever admit in public. Else his team reputation will be in mud. His team sponsors will deser them. His own fans will be angry & disgusted & start boycotting matches in protest Other team's fans will troll them mercilessly

I mean CSK still gets trolled bcoz of fixing allegations. Remember even most Pakistani fans were ashamed & disgusted when the 2010 spot fixing scam broke out.

Last season there was a blatant case of fixing in CPL. But the team owners & West Indies cricket board just covered up matters & pretended nothing happened.

I see it as a deliberate effort to defame Shoaib Malik. How can they terminate the contract based solely on suspicions?
bro, the team owner made the claim at first.

There is no effort to defame, when your own owner makes such claim, offocurse every news channel will than cover this news.

You keep on saying that, can you please add link to that here?
There are multiple articles. Even in the statement where the team owner took a u turn he says that he siad the inital statement he made was just sharing his thoughts.

He clearly said that acu should investigate malik.

yes they are part of the game, but the icc can investigate any match they want at any time. THey dont need to wait for report.

Initial investigation starts when betting trends show a spike in bets on a certain event after a particular event taking place.
If thats the case india has a massive global underground betting network and the IPL has huge links with massive spikes occurring every single tournament.

Information is clearly coming from the inside directly to the bookies and yet the ICC happily turn a blind eye to their cash cow.

we are talking about millions changing hands.

There was even a sting operation carried out in which peter obourne and or George dobell if i recall correctly were a part of which found evidence of fixing occurring including some high profile indian players and officials and yet the so called governing body did nothing.

Ive heard that franchise cricket is outside the governing bodies remit.

Perhaps the moderators can confirm or deny.

I have played enough cricket to know that it is almost impossible for an off spinner to bowl 3 no balls in an over. Not sure what happened here in this game or what Shoaib Malik was doing as I rarely watch these T20 games unless it is a PSL season, but watching this over bowled by Malik on youtube tells me that something was just not right, I mean how do you deliver two back to back no balls in a T20 game. ICC should investigate this!

If thats the case india has a massive global underground betting network and the IPL has huge links with massive spikes occurring every single tournament.

Information is clearly coming from the inside directly to the bookies and yet the ICC happily turn a blind eye to their cash cow.

we are talking about millions changing hands.

There was even a sting operation carried out in which peter obourne and or George dobell if i recall correctly were a part of which found evidence of fixing occurring including some high profile indian players and officials and yet the so called governing body did nothing.

Ive heard that franchise cricket is outside the governing bodies remit.

Perhaps the moderators can confirm or deny.
No one turns a blind eye to fixing.

There is a difference between betting and fixing.

Also franchise cricket follows acu

There are multiple articles. Even in the statement where the team owner took a u turn he says that he siad the inital statement he made was just sharing his thoughts.

He clearly said that acu should investigate malik.

But what is that initial statement?

But what is that initial statement?
"It (ACU investigating Shoaib's three no balls) should be done," Mizanur told Channel 24 when he was informed that BCB's ACU was in fact investigating the matter on January 25. "If it is done (ACU investigation) it would be good because three no balls in one over bowled by an off-spinner is looking really absurd to me and we lost the match there," he said.

To me, its a case of 'i know something is fishy but can never prove it', same with Wahab's jacket.

Malik has played the 3rd most T20's for any player in history, so has a lot of experience; he is also a spinner, so for him to ball 1 front foot no-ball is fishy, let alone 3 in the same over.

A similar concern was also raised by Fortune Barishal's team owner, Mizanur Rahman, who urged for an investigation by the Anti-Corruption Unit during a chat on a private news channel.

"It (ACU investigating Shoaib's three no balls) should be done," Mizanur told Channel 24, as quoted by Cricbuzz. "If it is done (ACU investigation) it would be good because three no balls in one over bowled by an off-spinner is looking really absurd to me and we lost the match there," he said.

I have played enough cricket to know that it is almost impossible for an off spinner to bowl 3 no balls in an over. Not sure what happened here in this game or what Shoaib Malik was doing as I rarely watch these T20 games unless it is a PSL season, but watching this over bowled by Malik on youtube tells me that something was just not right, I mean how do you deliver two back to back no balls in a T20 game. ICC should investigate this!

I bowled 2-3 no-balls in an over once. It didn't happen often but it happened in that over. I didn't fix the game obviously.

This type of thing can happen. I don't think it is fishy.

I remember Daryl Tuffey once bowled multiple extras.

To me, its a case of 'i know something is fishy but can never prove it', same with Wahab's jacket.

Malik has played the 3rd most T20's for any player in history, so has a lot of experience; he is also a spinner, so for him to ball 1 front foot no-ball is fishy, let alone 3 in the same over.
Also many people forget that in 2005 Shoab Malik was banned for few games after " deliberately losing" a game in domestic T20 league in Pakistan. The match result was later declared void & the winning team was disqualified. But Shoaib Malik was later found not guilty of receiving money to lose !

So this guys has some history of " fixing "

I bowled 2-3 no-balls in an over once. It didn't happen often but it happened in that over. I didn't fix the game obviously.

This type of thing can happen. I don't think it is fishy.

I remember Daryl Tuffey once bowled multiple extras.
So sorry to say this, but 2 or 3? you are not even sure how many no balls you bowled in an over.
Anyways this must be a first incident ever in a professional T20 league where an off spinner has bowled 3 no balls in an over.

So sorry to say this, but 2 or 3? you are not even sure how many no balls you bowled in an over.
Anyways this must be a first incident ever in a professional T20 league where an off spinner has bowled 3 no balls in an over.

Yes. I don't remember because it was in year 2014. I don't remember all the details.

I remember I was struggling with extras in that game.

My point is it can happen. Shabbir Ahmed had this issue once. Daryl Tuffey too. It is not fishy, unless there is proof.

A senior T20 mercenary bowling 3 no balls in an over is suspicious.. I don't think he might have done it for money. But it looks intentional.

Thanks to Shoaib I actually came to know that BPL is currently running. Otherwise looks like a very quiet tournament!

I just watched the whole over. These are my observations:
  • 1st no-ball was actually a fair delivery (poor from the 3rd umpire)
  • 2nd no ball was a marginally over the line
  • Last no ball was a big one
There should be an investigation to see if there has been any suspicious change in the betting patterns during this event but I don't think there's enough from an eye test to say that he was fixing.

But I hope this guy finally gives up playing cricket because there's always been a bad vibe about him on and off the field.

Well, there is something really fishy. How did Malik suddenly left plus he shouldn't have played the league if had media commitments in Dubai. I'm not sure if there is currently any work for him in Dubai.

Maybe he left for Dubai to sort out some family matters. I have read that his family didn't attended his wedding. Just my opinion.

Just get him into a hotel room and get him to take the oath on the Koran.

End

He had a contract with another franchise league which was agreed before his BPL contract so no he wasnt kicked out.

He s earning a crust who are you or anyone else to tell him to stop doing that.

He will decide when to leave the sport. no one else.

When you're in your 40s and bowling 3 x no balls in an over as a spinner, I think it's fair to say that it's beyond common sense to call it quits.

I have watched cricket since 2000 and I don't ever remember a spinner bowling 3 x no balls in an over.

When you're in your 40s and bowling 3 x no balls in an over as a spinner, I think it's fair to say that it's beyond common sense to call it quits.

I have watched cricket since 2000 and I don't ever remember a spinner bowling 3 x no balls in an over.

Most mathematicians are at their best at 20s.

Most sport stars perform their best in 20s and retire in mid 30s.

In Pakistan they start leaching at 30 and leach till 45.

Would leach till 50 but eventually get booted out.

Bang on and post 53 is a reflection of Pakistan's toxic leaching and seniority culture.

Wrong.

There are ice hockey players that played till 40+ ages. Jaro Jagr is 50+ and still plays Ice Hockey. In football there are plaers 35+

In Englands domestic cricket there is a guy called Darren Stephens, 45+ age and still plays. Trescothick played till his 40s.

So what is the issue if Malik wants to play domestic cricket? He worked hard to get where he is and if he has fitness and there is a team that is ready to draft/buy him than who are we to complain.

These guys work hard to become professional sportsman. This is something that most of us can only dream of and they live the dream. Who are we to give advices that they should retire just because we dont wana see them anymore?

Wrong.

There are ice hockey players that played till 40+ ages. Jaro Jagr is 50+ and still plays Ice Hockey. In football there are plaers 35+

In Englands domestic cricket there is a guy called Darren Stephens, 45+ age and still plays. Trescothick played till his 40s.

So what is the issue if Malik wants to play domestic cricket? He worked hard to get where he is and if he has fitness and there is a team that is ready to draft/buy him than who are we to complain.

These guys work hard to become professional sportsman. This is something that most of us can only dream of and they live the dream. Who are we to give advices that they should retire just because we dont wana see them anymore?

Is Darren Stephens bowling 3 x no balls in an over? Was Trescothick doing the equivalent as a batsman when he was in his 40s?

A senior off spinner like Malik bowling 3 no balls, with each bigger than the previous one, is not normal or just coincidental, its obvious some hanky panky stuff is going on. The way any event is defined extraordinary in sports and hence suspicious is basd upon the probability of that happening. I am pretty sure it would have never happened before that a spinner bowled 3 no balls in one over in T20. We all know Daryl Tuffey opening over in a ODI to Gilchrist when he bowled 4 wides and 4 no balls was not normal, he may or may not have been caught but certain things are too obvious.

A senior off spinner like Malik bowling 3 no balls, with each bigger than the previous one, is not normal or just coincidental, its obvious some hanky panky stuff is going on. The way any event is defined extraordinary in sports and hence suspicious is basd upon the probability of that happening. I am pretty sure it would have never happened before that a spinner bowled 3 no balls in one over in T20. We all know Daryl Tuffey opening over in a ODI to Gilchrist when he bowled 4 wides and 4 no balls was not normal, he may or may not have been caught but certain things are too obvious.
A few of the posters have said they saw the footage and the first was harshly called a No ball the 2nd was on the line and the third was over so its not an accurate picture your painting.

Malik has bowled no balls throughout his career so its nothing new.

A few of the posters have said they saw the footage and the first was harshly called a No ball the 2nd was on the line and the third was over so its not an accurate picture your painting.

Malik has bowled no balls throughout his career so its nothing new.

This is the full video

Nowadays, every thing becomes controversy out of the blue moon.

For an fast bowler 3 no balls in 1 over is no big deal

For a spinner to bowl 3 no balls in 1 over - well if u think it was not fixing, then u are naive

Anyways unless there is proper investigation we wud never know. That's exactly what wud happen. BCB wont want to get embroiled in another match fixing scam & wreck their BPL again !

So Shoaib Malik fans need not worry. Just like Wasim Akram was never actually found guilty of any wrongdoing !
If you have seen malik over the years you would know he does occasionally over step so its nothing new.

If you watch closely he s one of those bowlers that drags his foot back after landing.

Two things.

1. You can’t bowl three front-foot no balls in one over as a spinner without fixing.

2. If it was not fixing, then this a clear sign for Malik that it is time to hang up your boots and also a sign for franchises not to select him anymore.

He is a professional cricketer who has been playing since the 90s and has bowled over a thousand deliveries in his career. If he is bowling three front-foot no balls in one over, it clearly shows he is completely spent as a cricketer.

This is reminiscent of Abdur Rehman bowling three beamers and getting pulled out of the attack. I believe that was his final outing for Pakistan.

If you have seen malik over the years you would know he does occasionally over step so its nothing new.

If you watch closely he s one of those bowlers that drags his foot back after landing.
I don’t think I or anyone needs to explain to you the clear difference between overstepping occasionally and overstepping three times in a row.

A spinner bowling three consecutive no-balls has never happened before. Probably in the 150+ years of professional cricket.

Furthermore, let’s be real - Pakistani cricketers have zero credibility. If a Pakistani cricketer is accused of fixing, you can be certain that there is some truth to it.

This is the full video

The first looked as though he had something behind the line even though his foot was in the air, The second was on the line tight and third he overstretched.

definitely nothing different to any other no balls that he bowled through his career.

You could see from his reaction that it was genuine.

No dramas.

Like other posters have said it s a slow league and they wanted some attention for viewership so they've achieved their goal.

I don’t think I or anyone needs to explain to you the clear difference between overstepping occasionally and overstepping three times in a row.

A spinner bowling three consecutive no-balls has never happened before. Probably in the 150+ years of professional cricket.

Furthermore, let’s be real - Pakistani cricketers have zero credibility. If a Pakistani cricketer is accused of fixing, you can be certain that there is some truth to it.
These are not 3 consecutive ones. Until it is proven, he is still not a criminal, still not guilty.

It wasnt 3 in a row from the footage shown.

The first was nt even a no ball there was something behind the line even if the foot was areal. The second was on the line and the third was overstretching in delivery stride.

cricketers from all countries have been caught fixing so how are you labelling the pakistani players only?

Exactly. Now he is backtracking most likely bcoz BCB officials told him that these allegations can tarnish the entire league & bring everyone under a scanner

Remember few years back BPL was stopped due to rampant match fixing. They dont want a repeat
Im sure the owner was smart enough to know without the help of the BCB.

It's only spot-fixing if both the third umpire and Malik are involved.

They knew three no-balls had to be called in a row and the third umpire made sure to call that first one even though it wasn't a no-ball at all.

This would be more believable than Malik doing it on his own. Those first two no-balls were way too close and the first one wasn't even a no-ball to be fair.

No one turns a blind eye to fixing.

There is a difference between betting and fixing.

Also franchise cricket follows acu
Unfortunately the world has a policy where friends and allies and cash cows can get away with anything and everything.

Laws and rules are only are made and designed to be implemented over the weak in every walk of life.

Cricket is no exception.

Pakistan left-arm spinner Abdur Rehman recorded bizarre figures of 0-0-8-0 after bowling three straight full tosses in the Asia Cup

What as age got to do with bowling No Balls?.

No balls are part of the game.

If you watched the footage you would know the first alleged No ball should nt of been called , The second was on the line tight and the 3rd was overstretching in delivery stride.

It you have been watching since 2000 you should know Malik has always had issues with No Balls in his career its not a new phenomenon as your making out.

Common sense is everyone has a right to earn their bread without others telling them to quit.

I take it you will retire at 40 as well them from your job.

3rd one look bit suspicious to me.

What as age got to do with bowling No Balls?.

No balls are part of the game.

If you watched the footage you would know the first alleged No ball should nt of been called , The second was on the line tight and the 3rd was overstretching in delivery stride.

It you have been watching since 2000 you should know Malik has always had issues with No Balls in his career its not a new phenomenon as your making out.

Common sense is everyone has a right to earn their bread without others telling them to quit.

I take it you will retire at 40 as well them from your job.

Most sportsmen retire before 40 because their reflexes start declining.

Doing a 9 to 5 job at the desk doesnt care about declining reflexes and can be done till even 80.

Two things.

1. You can’t bowl three front-foot no balls in one over as a spinner without fixing.

2. If it was not fixing, then this a clear sign for Malik that it is time to hang up your boots and also a sign for franchises not to select him anymore.

He is a professional cricketer who has been playing since the 90s and has bowled over a thousand deliveries in his career. If he is bowling three front-foot no balls in one over, it clearly shows he is completely spent as a cricketer.

This is reminiscent of Abdur Rehman bowling three beamers and getting pulled out of the attack. I believe that was his final outing for Pakistan.
Mamoon, the marriage backlash across media might have been playing on Malik's mind.

Can't look too much into the no balls.

Unfortunately the world has a policy where friends and allies and cash cows can get away with anything and everything.

Laws and rules are only are made and designed to be implemented over the weak in every walk of life.

Cricket is no exception.
no it is not. That is just a conspiacy..

ICC does not tolerate fixing. THis is just victim mentality.

Its a seperate thing that people from first world nations dont get involved in such behavior like people from 3rd world country do

Back