[VIDEO] "When it comes to impact, I would prefer Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub as openers in T20Is": Mohammad Amir

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Mohammad Amir speaking on TV and clarifying his position on why he feels Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan are not suited to open in T20Is

"When it comes to impact, I would prefer Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub as openers in T20Is"

"As a captain in T20Is, I would know that the first 6 overs in batting and the same number in bowling are important"

"This is what is happening in modern day cricket, and even in ODIs - What do Rohit and Shubman do? They start to hit out at the start as has QdK as well"

"You need impact in powerplays and Saim and Fakhar are impact players"

Comparison of strike rates in T20:

Saim Ayub (domestic T20): 144
Babar 128
Fakahr: 128
Rizwan: 127

But I'd def prefer Fakhar and Ayub to open. If either gets going, you have a strong chance of winning the match. Whereas if Babar or Rizwan get going, you only have a strong chance of getting to 180.

Saim is way ahead in terms of strike rate and cheeky-innovative shots. He and Babar should open while Fakhar should bat at 3 IMO.

He is right, Fakhar and Saim Ayub are those opening batters which is the demand of modern day cricket. Babar and Rizwan has good record of opening stand. Yet not upto the requirement of modern cricket

Saim is way ahead in terms of strike rate and cheeky-innovative shots. He and Babar should open while Fakhar should bat at 3 IMO.
Babar and rizwan don't deserve to even be in t20.

T20 isn't a game for accumulators.

And right now on current form babar doesn't deserve to be in the team in any format.

Someone needs to teach babar that it's important to become an X factor. He doesn't need to hit 50 ball 100's but he needs to learn how win games chasing or batting first. Babar hasn't cracked the code on winning games.

The NZ 2019 game was the first and last time he did that in odi and it seems the 10 wicket India win is also the first and last time he'll ever do so in t20 against a proper a string side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of chat about Babar and T20s in the middle of an ODI wc.....

Stay on topic

And no more nonsense/irrelevant or it gets deleted

Babar and rizwan don't deserve to even be in t20.

T20 isn't a game for accumulators.

And right now on current form babar doesn't deserve to be in the team in any format.

Someone needs to teach babar that it's important to become an X factor. He doesn't need to hit 50 ball 100's but he needs to learn how win games chasing or batting first. Babar hasn't cracked the code on winning games.

The NZ 2019 game was the first and last time he did that in odi and it seems the 10 wicket India win is also the first and last time he'll ever do so in t20 against a proper a string side.
I am surprised that you are talking about dropping Babar from all formats

Babar Azam is Pakistan's premier batter.

No one will drop him from any format unless he says himself.
Lol no he is not. He is certainly not the best in t20is and in ODIs he has struggled badly in Asia cup and world cup.

Considering his performance in both the Asia Cup and world cup he should be dropped but due to him being captain he got the free ride.

Fakhar has to open the innings. He should always open. He must open. I don't care who becomes his opening partner but fakhar should always open.
He is the best player in the team be it t20is or Odis.

Lol no he is not. He is certainly not the best in t20is and in ODIs he has struggled badly in Asia cup and world cup.

Considering his performance in both the Asia Cup and world cup he should be dropped but due to him being captain he got the free ride.

Cricket did not start with Asia Cup and did not end with World Cup, yeah?

Players like Babar don't come everyday for Pakistan.

I wonder where all of this support for Fakhar was before the Bangladesh game.
I have been saying this for 2-3 years since he was unjustly shifted out of an opening spot. There were a few more voices here too. This isn’t a sudden shift in support, he has always been treated unfairly by Pakistan cricket since Misbah took over

I have been saying this for 2-3 years since he was unjustly shifted out of an opening spot. There were a few more voices here too. This isn’t a sudden shift in support, he has always been treated unfairly by Pakistan cricket since Misbah took over
I am a huge Fakhar fan, but his poor run of form was one of the reasons Pakistan got booted out early. Our ODI team was Fakhar, pace bowling and In sha Allah.

Only In sha Allah was left by the end.

I am surprised that you are talking about dropping Babar from all formats
Dropping him based of current form.

Not dropping him forever. The thing about Bobby is that when he started in 2016 he couldn't take singles properly, he was unsteady at the crease and besides a cover drive he wasn't that great he's lucky his opponent was Zimbabwe.

Over time in the next few years he improved. Developed that stylish legflick, Became a natural at taking singles etc and genuinely seemed like the perfect no 3 for all formats.

However captaincy pressure and milestone kohli comparison clearly got to his head. Dude has made no effort to improve his backfoot which would let him improve his pull shot, cut shot and his spin play, the babar of the old adopted the kohli habit of improving but the current babar clearly thinks he's a ready made super star.

His form has badly regressed, his horrible backfoot play has been found out and because of his milestone habit he opened in t20.

Fans and critics complained babar's issue was sr and he made zero effort to improve on it hence opening in t20, because if he didn't open in t20 and openers got off to a flyer, he'd be a liability at no 3 and he clearly does not want that aspect exposed so he's happy batting saim ayub at no 4.

Dropping him is good cause it'll make him learn that no player is bigger then the team or untouchable and they need to learn to play modern standards or face repruccusions.

Every team in the planet adopts this, India dropped dhawan their 2013 superstar for form regression over Gill, they've specifically told dhawan, if he wants to come back then he better so better then Gill otherwise bye bye.

Why does pcb adopt the I'm untouchable policy? Bcci was considering putting kohli to no 4 due to his 2012 embrassing performance against Pakistan before kohli improved further?

Babar Azam is Pakistan's premier batter.

No one will drop him from any format unless he says himself.
He's Pakistan's premiere batter from a marketing standpoint.

In test Abdullah and saud are clearly superior to him.

I'm odi for I believe the past few years fakhar has been the best but the most inconsistent, but if consistency is the criteria then rizwan and imam both have been slightly better but all 3 got caught out.

In t20, he's been the best tbf but at the expense of others.

Lots of chat about Babar and T20s in the middle of an ODI wc.....
Because 2024 t20 cup is next and Pakistan is put of the cup now. Theirs no more middle. We are at the end and it's ending tmr. Either way Pakistan won't even be at the venue.

He's Pakistan's premiere batter from a marketing standpoint.

In test Abdullah and saud are clearly superior to him.

I'm odi for I believe the past few years fakhar has been the best but the most inconsistent, but if consistency is the criteria then rizwan and imam both have been slightly better but all 3 got caught out.

In t20, he's been the best tbf but at the expense of others.

Let Abdullah Shafique and Saud Shakeel play at least 20 Test matches. Then we can compare them with Babar in Tests

I am a huge Fakhar fan, but his poor run of form was one of the reasons Pakistan got booted out early. Our ODI team was Fakhar, pace bowling and In sha Allah.

Only In sha Allah was left by the end.
But you don't replace an impact X player for a clown non impact player like rizwan.

If you want to replace fakhar then find another impact x factor.

X factors are players who win you games, not bazzball shahid afridi morons. Kohli can't hit those 44 ball 100's but everyone calls him an X factor?

India is so strong cause their entire team is filled with X factors. Rohit is an X factor with those 9 rr starts, Gill due to potential of getting large totals and backing rohit and kohli, Kohli via RR maintaince, Rahul, sheryas and pandya via middle over acceleration and finishing, Jadeja and kuldeep via master spin, and india's bowling trio being a horror show for batsmen to face.

Why do pakistani fans lower then standards so much and love and obesses over non X factors like rizwan and Babar? Just because they show stat sheets but will always make pakistani fans cry during tournaments.

At the end tumarha hi nuksaan ho ga. Aka it'll negatively impact you bit come next psl or next b string tour fans will once again get hyped for that impact less 100

Let Abdullah Shafique and Saud Shakeel play at least 20 Test matches. Then we can compare them with Babar in Tests
I don't need to see them play 20 test matches.

In a few games they've already done things multiple times that babar has only done once with just one match saving 196.

Aka won you games. That automatically makes them more impactful and better them babar azam.

Stat sheets and style play is completly irrelevant.

100% agree on that opening pair, with rizbar as the next 2.
T20 is our best format nowadays so hopefully we can put up a good showing next year

T20 is our best format nowadays so hopefully we can put up a good showing next year
T20 is the only format where you can cover up weaknesses.

I fear for pur test and odi team

Comparison of strike rates in T20:

Saim Ayub (domestic T20): 144
Babar 128
Fakahr: 128
Rizwan: 127

But I'd def prefer Fakhar and Ayub to open. If either gets going, you have a strong chance of winning the match. Whereas if Babar or Rizwan get going, you only have a strong chance of getting to 180.
What about Muhammed Haris ?

Muhammed Haris should be opening with Fakhar.Saim Is a better play of spin than both.

To Amir impact probably means going wicketless in 6-7 ODIs, let the non impact players lead the team to final and bowl one "impact player" spell per year.

But you don't replace an impact X player for a clown non impact player like rizwan.

If you want to replace fakhar then find another impact x factor.

X factors are players who win you games, not bazzball shahid afridi morons. Kohli can't hit those 44 ball 100's but everyone calls him an X factor?

India is so strong cause their entire team is filled with X factors. Rohit is an X factor with those 9 rr starts, Gill due to potential of getting large totals and backing rohit and kohli, Kohli via RR maintaince, Rahul, sheryas and pandya via middle over acceleration and finishing, Jadeja and kuldeep via master spin, and india's bowling trio being a horror show for batsmen to face.

Why do pakistani fans lower then standards so much and love and obesses over non X factors like rizwan and Babar? Just because they show stat sheets but will always make pakistani fans cry during tournaments.

At the end tumarha hi nuksaan ho ga. Aka it'll negatively impact you bit come next psl or next b string tour fans will once again get hyped for that impact less 100
Where will you get these impact players from? Pakistan fans are out of touch with reality. There is no one like Fakhar in our domestic circuit, forget Rohit Sharma or Virat Kohli. You cannot create such players out if thin air.

The same issue is apparent when it comes to spinners. Just look at the Pakistan Cup, and you’ll know where we are headed.

Between Rizwan and Babar, Rizwan is the more attacking option.

Fakhar and Rizwan should open with Babar one down if needed.

In reality, both players are not going anywhere.

I wonder where all of this support for Fakhar was before the Bangladesh game.
there has always been support for Fakhar but a lot of Babar fans have converted to hardcore Fakhar fans after no show by Babar in the asia cup 22, world cup22, asiacup 23 and worldcup 23

there has always been support for Fakhar but a lot of Babar fans have converted to hardcore Fakhar fans after no show by Babar in the asia cup 22, world cup22, asiacup 23 and worldcup 23
Fakhar fanbase isn't loud, obnoxious, toxic & immature, which is why the guy often flows under the rudder specially when he isn't performing. That's not the case with some kings & actors.

Should it not be an honour & privilege for Babar to represent PCT? Or is it the other way around! 😕
Where entire PCT should feel honoured & privileged to be represented by Babar?

Sometimes I get confused with the reactions of his cult. It appears as if Babar has some divine birthright to nonstop feature without any question, any doubt, any accountability.

It's almost identical with Rizwan too. You can't criticize them, can't call them out for their selfishness & lack of intent, can't raise any legitimate doubt over their nonexistent match winning ability in modern white ball batting standards.

I guess the cult should demand for a doctrine so that we the peasants should be thankful to almighty that RizBar are gracing with their appearances, otherwise pak cricket would have gone extinct by now!

Where will you get these impact players from? Pakistan fans are out of touch with reality. There is no one like Fakhar in our domestic circuit, forget Rohit Sharma or Virat Kohli. You cannot create such players out if thin air.

The same issue is apparent when it comes to spinners. Just look at the Pakistan Cup, and you’ll know where we are headed.
Brother am X factor isn't born, its created.

The issue is the management rewarding stat sheets and 1990 accumulation over match winning.

Of the management outright put their foot down and said no one is allowed until they cracked the code of winning everyone would improve.

But that's obviously not the standard they want to set.

We seem to be reluctant to make changes that could have a positive impact on the team.

Fear has been taking over in all formats and that breeds negativity.

Be brave, it could work!
Brother, you have lot of respect in the fraternity. You can try spreading the message.

I think people think Fakhar is better at T20's than they think and seem to confuse the format. He's a great ODI batsmen but a very pedestrian T20 player and I would say he is more of a conditions based player.

Slow pitches is generally where he always struggles, including ODI's. His SR in UAE/WI/Bangladesh are respectively 108/102/104. He has great SR in England/NZ/SA (152/145/155) because he likes pacey pitches that come on to the bat nicely. Personally, I wouldn't have him in my XI for the T20 WC at the moment. It can change but he is poor vs spin and poor when pitches are slow which we are likely to see in WI conditions. His powerplay numbers in T20's are pretty poor throughout his career too. He's destructive when set but generally not a blazer in the PP.

Saim is clearly a must and my guess is we will see one of Rizwan or Babar go one down and see Saim come up & open. If Pakistan want to go full blazing in the PP, a destructive combo would be Haris & Saim IMO.

Should it not be an honour & privilege for Babar to represent PCT? Or is it the other way around! 😕
Where entire PCT should feel honoured & privileged to be represented by Babar?

Sometimes I get confused with the reactions of his cult. It appears as if Babar has some divine birthright to nonstop feature without any question, any doubt, any accountability.

It's almost identical with Rizwan too. You can't criticize them, can't call them out for their selfishness & lack of intent, can't raise any legitimate doubt over their nonexistent match winning ability in modern white ball batting standards.

I guess the cult should demand for a doctrine so that we the peasants should be thankful to almighty that RizBar are gracing with their appearances, otherwise pak cricket would have gone extinct by now!

And I get confused by the incessant hatred against him.

If people are respecting him, there is a reason for it.

Fakhars SR has dropped from 135 to 128 due to his struggles at number 3 or below .

He has not opened for Pakistan in t20s for nearly 3 years now . I think it’s time he opened now.

New Zealand series is the perfect opportunity.

It’s fair to say this guy is most dynamic player in our team.

Fakhars SR has dropped from 135 to 128 due to his struggles at number 3 or below .

He has not opened for Pakistan in t20s for nearly 3 years now . I think it’s time he opened now.

New Zealand series is the perfect opportunity.

It’s fair to say this guy is most dynamic player in our team.
You can thank the greatest wicket keeper batsmen to ever represent Pakistan and the greatest captain and coach in the past decade Misbah ul haq to thank for the amazing insight to drop fakhar at no 3, to accommodate pur Adam Gilchrist: Mr rizwan at opening.

Quality of Pak cup was extremely poor specially the spin department, I wonder how on earth it is possible that younger players unable to spin the ball at all? Batting talent specially the hitting talent is non existent as well , we are way behind in modern cricket now days and it’s time to change the coaches at domestic level and improve club cricket otherwise we are going hockey way in the next 5 years

He's right, these two should be the openers for the upcoming T20Is.

If one of them doesn't work, you continue looking for a player with the same approach until someone clicks.

You can then slot Babar/Rizwan in other positions and also look for additional batsmen for impact. If Babar/Rizwan can't perform in the middle order, they need to be sat on the bench. It's foolish to have these guys as openers cause their way is not good enough to win high-scoring games.

"When it comes to impact, I would like a bowler who doesn't grunt at speeds of 120 Kmph and doesn't throw tantrums" : Babar Azam

"When it comes to impact, I would like a bowler who doesn't grunt at speeds of 120 Kmph and doesn't throw tantrums" : Babar Azam
“And they shouldn’t trap me LBW in Rawalpindi even though I am supposed to be the best in the world”.

Why would you have Rizwan at 4 when it should be Ifti chacha? Rizwan doesnt merit a place in the t20 team. We cannot have both of Babar and Rizwan in the team. Haris/Haseebullah in t20I.

Cricket did not start with Asia Cup and did not end with World Cup, yeah?

Players like Babar don't come everyday for Pakistan.
There seems to be real hate for the only proper batsman we have produced in the last 20 years. And then the same guys complain on about batsman being selfish.

You can thank the greatest wicket keeper batsmen to ever represent Pakistan and the greatest captain and coach in the past decade Misbah ul haq to thank for the amazing insight to drop fakhar at no 3, to accommodate pur Adam Gilchrist: Mr rizwan at opening.
Didn't we beat Ind in a WC for the 1st time with Riz and Babar at the top and by 10 wickets . I suppose cricket only started a few months

The Guy has been playing T20 cricket all over the globe and it makes complete sense what he is talking about.

Who else getting a feeling that Babar Azam is the Sohail Abbas of cricket ? The last gem before the ultimate demise of our cricket?

Mohammad Amir speaking on TV and clarifying his position on why he feels Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan are not suited to open in T20Is

"When it comes to impact, I would prefer Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub as openers in T20Is"

"As a captain in T20Is, I would know that the first 6 overs in batting and the same number in bowling are important"

"This is what is happening in modern day cricket, and even in ODIs - What do Rohit and Shubman do? They start to hit out at the start as has QdK as well"

"You need impact in powerplays and Saim and Fakhar are impact players"
Wish this guy was the captain.

What Amir has said is somewhat right TBH. Saim and Fakhar are the ones you will look for to open in the t20s. Both can be explosive and Saim ayub has that ability to play some innovative shots which we have not seen recently from Pakistani batter.

Didn't we beat Ind in a WC for the 1st time with Riz and Babar at the top and by 10 wickets . I suppose cricket only started a few months
That's irrelevant, In that same tournament babar's 39 of 34 caused us to be 20 runs short, and I remember everyone in the first innings said the score wasn't enough and all that Australia needed was on good partnership to win which is exactly what happened even after the collapse.

More matches lost then won

That's irrelevant, In that same tournament babar's 39 of 34 caused us to be 20 runs short, and I remember everyone in the first innings said the score wasn't enough and all that Australia needed was on good partnership to win which is exactly what happened even after the collapse.

So beating IND Was irrelevant. For a start we wouldn't have reached the final because as we this in a tournament, the psychological blow would destroyed the team and on a practical level it was 2 points for us and not for them.

So beating IND Was irrelevant. For a start we wouldn't have reached the final because as we this in a tournament, the psychological blow would destroyed the team and on a practical level it was 2 points for us and not for them.
It isn't irrelevant but babar and rizwan have resulted in more match losses then match wins when they perform.

That never happens when rohit and Gill perform

Keyword is perform. Otherwise if a team loses cause they don't perform its okay.

Rizwan's asia cup 2022 final is all his fault

It isn't irrelevant but babar and rizwan have resulted in more match losses then match wins when they perform.

That never happens when rohit and Gill perform

Keyword is perform. Otherwise if a team loses cause they don't perform its okay.

Rizwan's asia cup 2022 final is all his fault
So before Babar and Riz it was the land of milk and honey. What happened in 2016 and 14? Any ideas

You're talking about the misbah era 😂😂. Epic
So now we disown all the eras to prove the Babar era was terrible. Even 2007 we lost to Ind, shall we not count that because that was led by Malik. We won in 2009 but YK led the team, and he was about far as possible from T20 cricket as possible.

You're talking about the misbah era 😂😂. Epic
And if you talk about the ODI, 2003, 07, 15 and 19. We didn't qualify. Were they all Misbah eras? PK Cricket didn't Start under Babar, these failures are partially his fault but what about all the other times. It was only due to IKs brilliance and county cricket that this terrible system got glossed over

And if you talk about the ODI, 2003, 07, 15 and 19. We didn't qualify. Were they all Misbah eras? PK Cricket didn't Start under Babar, these failures are partially his fault but what about all the other times. It was only due to IKs brilliance and county cricket that this terrible system got glossed over
The idea is to come out of mediocrity and not stay in it.

Pak cricket had a resurgence under afridi after the embrassing 2010 spot fix era.

Misbah after killed it entirely.

In 2011 we seemed to be headed towards becoming a bowling side that would dominate. That didn't happen.

The idea is to come out of mediocrity and not stay in it.

Pak cricket had a resurgence under afridi after the embrassing 2010 spot fix era.

Misbah after killed it entirely.

In 2011 we seemed to be headed towards becoming a bowling side that would dominate. That didn't happen.

Thread is not about Misbah.

This will be the last post about that on this thread.

This isn’t true. Going to do t20s as their partnership is more prolific there and we play more. Though stats are good in ODIs too. Rizwan averages 66 with SR 133 when we win With 49 wins. And just 28 SR 114 when we lose in 29 games. You can’t have those sort of stats without being involved in wins more. It just doesn’t make sense. It’s also part of the reason why he’s racked up man of the match awards so quickly.

Babars also averages 43 in wins, 31 in losses which is very respectable.

Consistency wins games, not flash in the pan performances. Most of the time Babar and Rizwan putting up a decent partnership statistically improves our odds of winning the game.

I get stats aren’t everything, and I regularly see that partnership win us games, more than any other Pakistan partnership. But people have the right to different opinions. But won games more than they lost I feel is a bit of a stretch.

This isn’t true. Going to do t20s as their partnership is more prolific there and we play more. Though stats are good in ODIs too. Rizwan averages 66 with SR 133 when we win With 49 wins. And just 28 SR 114 when we lose in 29 games. You can’t have those sort of stats without being involved in wins more. It just doesn’t make sense. It’s also part of the reason why he’s racked up man of the match awards so quickly.

Consistency wins games, not flash in the pan performances. Most of the time Babar and Rizwan putting up a decent partnership statistically improves our odds of winning the game.

I get stats aren’t everything, and I regularly see that partnership win us games, more than any other Pakistan partnership. But people have the right to different opinions. But won games more than they lost I feel is a bit of a stretch.
Are you honestly going to use stats against B/C teams, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to prove a point about Rizwan?

Are you honestly going to use stats against B/C teams, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to prove a point about Rizwan?
Against India, South Africa, Australia, England and new zealand, Rizwan’s average is still 45 sr 130. In won matches this improves to 70 at SR 140. In lost matches it’s 29 SR 118.

Meant lost games more than they won is a bit of a stretch

Why would you have Rizwan at 4 when it should be Ifti chacha? Rizwan doesnt merit a place in the t20 team. We cannot have both of Babar and Rizwan in the team. Haris/Haseebullah in t20I.
Haseebullah is even slower than Rizwan and is okay keeper at best.

Fakhar and Saim are the kind of players who can only make an impact in the powerplay, down the order they are relatively ineffective.

If it happens, it would be interesting to see where Rizwan will play in T20is because the 1 down position for Babar is quite certain.

Back