[VIDEOS] Andrew Flintoff: retirement and post-retirement

He's only doing this for the possible large sums of money in T20 but because he's been out of the game for so long and older, he's going to struggle big time.

Superb documentary tonight on Flintoff and his eating disorder - should be on YouTube soon too for those not in the uk.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff has opened up about his ongoing battle with bulimia in a documentary.<br><br>Watch now on <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCOne?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BBCOne</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCiPlayer?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BBCiPlayer</a> 👉 <a href="https://t.co/3EWdocI89J">https://t.co/3EWdocI89J</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bbccricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#bbccricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/9hmHXIJ9UZ">pic.twitter.com/9hmHXIJ9UZ</a></p>— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1310670616937127936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When a new face turned up to cricket training, <a href="https://twitter.com/flintoff11?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@flintoff11</a> soon knew he had a secret weapon on his hands.<br><br>He popped round to see Adnan's foster parents, but wasn't ready for what he heard.<br><br>Adnan's story is a remarkable one. Watch Freddie Flintoff's Field of Dreams at 8pm. <a href="https://t.co/ftN3EfsoaS">pic.twitter.com/ftN3EfsoaS</a></p>— Test Match Special (@bbctms) <a href="https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1546781417362755584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 12, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When a new face turned up to cricket training, <a href="https://twitter.com/flintoff11?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@flintoff11</a> soon knew he had a secret weapon on his hands.<br><br>He popped round to see Adnan's foster parents, but wasn't ready for what he heard.<br><br>Adnan's story is a remarkable one. Watch Freddie Flintoff's Field of Dreams at 8pm. <a href="https://t.co/ftN3EfsoaS">pic.twitter.com/ftN3EfsoaS</a></p>— Test Match Special (@bbctms) <a href="https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1546781417362755584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 12, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seen an episode of this new series, Flintoff trying to encourage young kids into cricket, pretty decent

Trying to undo the damage ECB toffs did when they first took the game off free to air tv, during the crucial post '05 series boom when they COULD have been growing the game off the back of marketable guys like KP & Freddie.

Then when British govts selling off local public playing fields, forcing the game deeper & deeper into private school only (who have their own fields).

Good idea but it won't be able to do much up against the sheer scale of those other factors affecting hundreds of thouands/millions of lost fans/players.

I am concerned about Freddie's health. He looks so weak due to the eating disorder he has. Always thought him as a proper "Jack the lad" kinda guy during his playing days but now see he is much better then that.

Top Gear presenter Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff has been hurt in an accident while filming for the BBC show.

He received medical care at the scene before being taken to hospital for further treatment.

The incident happened at Top Gear's test track at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in Surrey.

His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening and a BBC spokesperson said details would be confirmed "in due course".

It is understood that the accident did not happen at high speed.

A BBC spokesperson said: "Freddie was injured in an accident at the Top Gear test track this morning - with crew medics attending the scene immediately.

"He has been taken to hospital for further treatment and we will confirm more details in due course."

It is not the first accident Flintoff has suffered since he first began presenting the show.

The former England cricketer, who is a father of four, crashed into a market stall in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire in February 2019.

In September of the same year, he crashed during a drag race while he was filming at Elvington Airfield in Yorkshire, but walked away unharmed.

Former Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond was involved in a serious crash at the same airfield in 2006, leaving him in a coma.

Flintoff joined Top Gear as a host in 2019 and co-stars in the show with Paddy McGuinness and Chris Harris.

He's better known to many as an international cricketer - he retired from the sport in 2009 having played 79 Tests, 141 one-day internationals and seven T20s for England.

He played a key role in England's Ashes successes of 2005 and 2009.

After initially retiring from all forms of the game in 2010, Flintoff had one professional bout as a boxer.

He's also been on the Australian version of I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! - where he was crowned king of the jungle.

He took to acting - appearing in BBC drama Love, Lies and Records in 2017 - and singing, in Fat Friends The Musical.

Top Gear has been running under different presenters since 2002 and is one of the BBC's most successful and exported programmes.

BBC

I tried Top Gear after Clarkson etc left, but it’s just dull now. The writing quality has really dropped.

Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff's son says his father is "lucky to be alive" having been taken to hospital after he was injured in an accident while filming for Top Gear.

The 45-year-old former England cricketer turned TV presenter was involved in the accident on Tuesday morning while at the Top Gear test track at Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey.

His son Corey told the Daily Mail on Wednesday: "I'm not too sure what happened but he is lucky to be alive. It was a pretty nasty crash. It is shocking. We are all shocked but just hope he's going to be OK."

The BBC reported Flintoff's injuries are not thought to be life-threatening and it is understood the accident did not happen at high speed.

"Freddie was injured in an accident at the Top Gear test track this (Tuesday) morning - with crew medics attending the scene immediately," a BBC spokesperson said.

"He has been taken to hospital for further treatment and we will confirm more details in due course."

Speaking to Sky Sports News from Karachi ahead of England's third Test against Pakistan, Nasser Hussain said the England team are "a little bit concerned".

"We have been following it out here and trying to get in touch with Freddie's agent and people around Freddie. We woke up to the news this morning. The England team are in their team room, and they're a little bit concerned," Hussain, who played alongside Flintoff, said.

"We know probably as much as you and fingers crossed that Freddie is ok. He is a larger than life character. Hopefully good news will follow."

Flintoff enjoyed a hugely successful international cricket career, most memorably helping England to their first Ashes victory in 18 years in 2005, before helping his side regain the urn four years later.

He retired from Test cricket at the end of the 2009 Ashes series, and from other forms of the game in 2010, then had one professional boxing fight in November 2012 in Manchester, where he beat American Richard Dawson on a points decision.

The father-of-four has presented Top Gear since 2019 and said at the time: "It's not often you have the chance to do both of your dream jobs, but I'm now lucky enough to say I will have.

"I've always been passionate about cars and I'm so excited to be joining the Top Gear team."

The accident is not the first faced by Flintoff since he began working on the show.

In February 2019, the presenter was involved in a minor incident when he crashed into a market stall in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

In September of the same year, he crashed again while driving a three-wheel vehicle at a reported speed of 124mph during filming for Top Gear at Elvington Airfield in Yorkshire, but walked away from the incident unharmed.

SKY

Andrew Flintoff is "recovering" from an accident while filming for Top Gear, according to his friend and fellow broadcaster Piers Morgan.

The 45-year-old former England cricketer turned TV presenter was involved in the accident on Tuesday morning while at the Top Gear test track at Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey.

Morgan, a friend of Flintoff's, said he had made contact with the family and offered an optimistic outlook.

"I'm told it was a pretty serious crash and that Freddie's going to be okay, but it might be a little bit more serious than first appreciated," Morgan told talkSPORT.

"I'm told he's going to be OK which is great news, but I'm also told it was a pretty nasty bang and that he's had surgery and is recovering now and we'll have to wait and see.

"I've been in contact with them privately, but I just want to wish him and his family, Rachel his wife, all the very best and I think we're all just keeping our fingers crossed that the big man comes through alright."

SKY

DM: Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff broke his rib and suffered facial injuries in a 'nasty' crash as his son said that the Top Gear host is 'lucky to be alive' after he was airlifted to hospital.

A relative of Freddie Flintoff said today that the star had suffered a cut face and a broken rib in the high-speed crash.

They said: 'I know he has a badly cut face and a broken rib. It’s a worry but he is OK.'

Corey Flintoff, 16, said his family have been left 'shocked' after the England cricket legend, 45, was taken to hospital.

He was behind the wheel shooting an episode for the BBC series at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in Surrey when the accident happened.

Temperatures had plunged to 0C at the test track where he was reviewing a car at the time.

Freddie has had a tough time since retiring. Not only a likable lad Freddie was also a top class player. I was genuinely sad to see him retire at such a young age. He had a good chance of being the best England all rounder ever if he had continued playing.

DM: Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff broke his rib and suffered facial injuries in a 'nasty' crash as his son said that the Top Gear host is 'lucky to be alive' after he was airlifted to hospital.

A relative of Freddie Flintoff said today that the star had suffered a cut face and a broken rib in the high-speed crash.

They said: 'I know he has a badly cut face and a broken rib. It’s a worry but he is OK.'

Corey Flintoff, 16, said his family have been left 'shocked' after the England cricket legend, 45, was taken to hospital.

He was behind the wheel shooting an episode for the BBC series at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in Surrey when the accident happened.

Temperatures had plunged to 0C at the test track where he was reviewing a car at the time.

Sorry to hear.

Get well soon, Freddie.

Driving at such high speeds constantly is like inviting death. Hope he recovers soon.

The BBC is scrapping its latest Top Gear series after completing an investigation into the accident that injured presenter Andrew Flintoff.

BBC Studios apologised to the former cricketer following its probe into the incident in Surrey in December.

It said it would "continue to support" Flintoff with his recovery.

"Under the circumstances, we feel it would be inappropriate to resume making series 34 of Top Gear at this time," the statement added.

"We understand this will be disappointing for fans, but it is the right thing to do, and we'll make a judgment about how best to continue later this year.

"This has also impacted the production team, who we continue to support.

"Finally there will be a health and safety review of the show, in line with our procedures."

SKY

Top Gear co-host Chris Harris has said Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff is "healing" following his crash while filming for the show almost a year ago.

Former cricketer Flintoff was injured at Top Gear's test track last December.

The BBC has apologised to him, suspended the series and paid him compensation worth a reported £9m.

Harris told BBC Breakfast on Thursday: "I think he's healing. It was a serious incident. I'm not going to say any more than that."

The crash happened at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in Surrey, but few details have been made public.

Andrew Flintoff in England's backroom staff for T20 World Cup; gets projected as next head coach​

Andrew Flintoff has been added to England’s backroom staff for the upcoming T20 World Cup, and ECB managing director Rob Key viewed it as a portend to the former all-rounder’s potential candidacy to the team’s head coach role.

Flintoff will coach Northern Superchargers in the Hundred this season and will also be involved with the England team during its four-match T20I series against Pakistan ahead of the ICC showpiece.

“Without question, I think he would be an excellent head coach. He will be a worthy candidate going forward. When that time comes and whoever is in this job, and it might be outside of my time, they would be stupid not to look at him,” Key told Telegraph.

England’s Test side is managed by Brendon McCullum while Matthew Mott is its coach in white ball formats.

Key also drew parallel with current England captain Ben Stokes and said the Lancastrian can easily relate to players in the dressing room.

“Flintoff is a leader like (Ben) Stokes. Just having someone who knows what it is like to struggle and come out the other end is so relatable to those players. When they have had a bad day, he can explain it.

“He has high emotional intelligence so he understands when you need a bit of an arm around your shoulder or blunt honesty. Those are the skills that make a great leader,” said Key, a close friend of Flintoff.

The 46-year-old Flintoff had suffered serious facial injuries while shooting for ‘Top Gear’ in 2022 and Key was instrumental in bringing his former teammate back to mainstream cricket.

Key also said former England players like all-rounder Moeen Ali should be fast-tracked into coaching roles in future.

“Moeen Ali I think will be an excellent coach, there are so many people. They have these skills and we want to try to create experiences where they can really learn,” he added.

Hindustan Times

Glad to see him back and excited to see his coaching stint with the England cricket team.

Freddie Flintoff's teenage son Rocky stuns cricket fans with his 'uncanny' big-hitting... as the 16-year-old smashes three sixes in unbeaten half-century for Lancashire​

Freddie Flintoff's teenage son Rocky has stunned fans with his 'uncanny' big-hitting style like the England legend.

The 16-year-old batsman smashed three sixes and two fours in his unbeaten half-century for Lancashire's second team against Durham on Thursday.

Fans were left rubbing their eyes after watching Flintoff unleash his dad's distinctive short-arm pull shot at Old Trafford.

One fan said: 'Son of English all-rounder the great Freddie Flintoff.. such an uncanny resemblance.'

A second said: It’s the dip of the head as he’s playing the pull. Very reminiscent of his father. Does he bowl as well?'

rocky looks a talent, a second xi 100 at 16 is no joke. batting stance and strokes look like his dad too, think he might be one to keep an eye on.

rocky looks a talent, a second xi 100 at 16 is no joke. batting stance and strokes look like his dad too, think he might be one to keep an eye on.

Lancashire second XI century for Flintoff's son Rocky​

Rocky Flintoff, the teenage son of former England all-rounder Andrew, has made his maiden century for Lancashire second XI.

Flintoff compiled 116 from 165 balls against Warwickshire on Tuesday in the first innings of a four-day Second XI Championship match at Edgbaston.

The 16-year-old brought up his century on day two with a late cut for a single off left-arm wrist spinner Jake Lintott.

Flintoff shared a 39-run partnership with his elder brother Corey and also enjoyed a century stand with England fast bowler Saqib Mahmood, who is skippering Lancashire seconds as he works back to full fitness after a back injury.

His innings included 11 fours and three sixes before he was out caught attempting an expansive drive off Lintott.

He made his Lancashire second XI debut earlier this month and last week hit an unbeaten half-century against Durham at Old Trafford.

Andrew played 79 Tests, 141 one-day internationals and seven T20s for England between 1999-2009 and famously played a key role in England's historic Ashes victory in 2005.

He was captain between 2006 and 2007 and moved into television presenting after his cricket career, joining Top Gear in 2019 alongside Paddy McGuinness and Chris Harris.

Flintoff suffered injuries sustained in an accident while filming BBC show Top Gear in December 2022.

He was involved in England men's limited-overs coaching set-up last summer and was named head coach of Northern Superchargers men's team in The Hundred in November 2023.

Back