[VIDEOS] Andrew Flintoff: retirement and post-retirement

Sledger

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
Flintoff to announce retirement

Andrew Flintoff will announce his retirement from all cricket later on Thursday after giving in to his long-standing knee injuries.

Flintoff underwent surgery straight after last year's Ashes victory and hoped to return to action this season, but that was ruled out last month and he then aimed for Twenty20 stints in Australia and the IPL. However, his latest meeting with the surgeon has led to what has long seemed the inevitable decision.

More to follow
http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/477345.html

Last edited by a moderator:
another injury prone cricketer retires without fulfilling his full potential

Jo kehta hay, wuhi hota hay :)))

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1NFbVx0uN8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1NFbVx0uN8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

What a shame, one of my most favorite non Pakistani player.

A career that was never fufilled to its potential due to Injury. I guess the 2005 Ashes win be ultimatley the Pinacle of his career as a player.

Happy retirement Fred!

another injury prone cricketer retires without fulfilling his full potential

He bowled way too many overs for Nasser, who was always struggling for control over the oppo run-rate.

He could have been as good a batter as Botham, but five test hundreds will have to be enough.

He should have had 350+ test wickets, but was usually half a yard short. Hard to hit and nasty to face, but three michelles wasn't enough for a man of his talent.

Brilliant slip fielder.

Terrible captain.

Arguably the best ODI man England ever produced.

Will always be remembered for his huge role in England's recovery of the Ashes after 26 long and painful years.

He bowled way too many overs for Nasser, who was always struggling for control over the oppo run-rate.

He could have been as good a batter as Botham, but five test hundreds will have to be enough.

He should have had 350+ test wickets, but was usually half a yard short. Hard to hit and nasty to face, but three michelles wasn't enough for a man of his talent.

Brilliant slip fielder.

Terrible captain.

Will always be remembered for his huge role in England's recovery of the Ashes after 26 long and painful years.

I thought it was 17.

Flintoff definitely under achieved, but still achieved quite a lot, if that makes any sense.

At his best, he was the best bowler in the world.

Brilliant slip fielder.

Terrible captain.

to be honest i wouldn't class him as an all rounder or even as the greatest all rounder England has produced, but ya an amazing bowler he was.

What a turnaround it was for him from the original fat-boy who graced the cricketing world in the start to the rock-star messiah-type figure he became in 2005.

Was never a big fan of his batting, but his bowling in his last 4 years of his career was phenomenal. Not sure what his economy rate would have been, but he was very restrictive. Rao Restrictive.

It's testament enough that there are two or three of his spells (not just one) that will be remembered long into the future.

Hats off to the man who played fierce cricket with a big smile and gave it his all. A true bloke's bloke.

Will miss him sorely.

Last edited:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1NFbVx0uN8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1NFbVx0uN8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If only we could send this in to the next ODI or maybe into cricket AM (finished now)

Was never a big fan of his batting, but his bowling in his last 4 years of his career was phenomenal. Not sure what his economy rate would have been, but he was very restrictive. Rao Restrictive.

Nobody is except Nasir Hussain :p

Well he did had few moments with the bat, his 90 odd runs in that epic partnership with Thorpe in Karachi 2001 when they chased down 303 target was classic. I'm sure there were few more in ODIs :13:

never would have thought he would call it in before Shoaib. I guess he's satisfied with where he's at right now.

A big loss to cricket. Not because he was a great cricketer, but because he was a great entertainer.

wonderful player, will always be loved by the fans...this is one instance when the stats tell nothing of the story. didn't always succeed but tried to such a phenomenal level that you could never hold it against him if he did not perform. one of the more passionate England players I can remember. and he leaves behind a select few innings and bowling spells that will be long remembered. wish him a good retirement.

a 50% fit flintoff was miles better than anderson and broad. a true entertainer.

In my opinion, one of the best bowlers of his era. Sad day really for a real larger-than-life character and quality sportsman.

Captain's dream too, apart from a few off field misdemeanors. The proverbial go-to bowler for anyone fortunate enough to be able to call on his services. Absolute quality.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that he will get fit enough for next year's IPL , but his price gonna get reduced because he will play mainly as batsman.

Another cricketer lost to IPL!!
He bowled just 4 over in few matches. County schedule is far more grueling. But then this needless IPL bashing is not unexpected in this forum.

I don't think he was one of the world's greatest ever bowlers, not even close. However, Flintoff was surely one of the best to ever to play the game. Doesn't really make sense but let me try and explain.

Flintoff was never going to bowl out the opposition for 80 odd, such as what a bowler like Asif would do. It was more that Flintoff was a truly special character on the field - the type whose mere presence would galvanise the entire team. Every now and again, he would do something astonishing - whether it be a magic ball or an amazing run out. But even when his name was not in the wickets, he was always in the game. He's kinda comparable to Afridi in that sense. Neither Afridi nor Flintoff have amazing stats, but you just know that the team is so much better with them in it. They may not have been great captains (although Afridi still has time to prove his critics wrong!), but they were special cricketers.

When we won the World t20, Afridi led Pakistan in a manner which no other player in the world was capable of doing. Similarly, when England won the Ashes in 2005, Flintoff led England like no other player in the world was capable of doing. Its sad Flintoff has gone, but I think England today doesn’t really need him to win matches. He got them the self-belief, and now they are able to blossom themselves.

my one of the favourite! its sad that he is retired now!! a great player!

Super Super Fred
Super Super Fred
Super Super Fred
Super Freddie Flintoff

"Mind the windows Tino!" A classic!

Not much to add - a box office big occasion player. All heart and a top bloke to boot.

Oh and likes the odd drink.

Happy retirement mate.

Was always on the cards really.

Excellent ODI player, but his test averages reflect the fact his reputation outweighs his perfomances.

lolololol :)))

Too bad he isn't from Pakistan. Or else his announcement would not have such a ring of finality in it.

Oh well, the boy played well. :14:

Allan Donald a few years ago when he was England's bowling consultant implored Flintoff to change his bowling action because it was extremely pressurizing for his knees and calves. I wonder whether deep down Flintoff regrets not paying heed to that suggestion.

Btw i am extremely dissapointed by this development. Flintoff's overall stats, records understate his true talent and potential. I felt he was even more gifted and talented than Botham but doesnt have the stats to show for it.

Allan Donald a few years ago when he was England's bowling consultant implored Flintoff to change his bowling action because it was extremely pressurizing for his knees and calves. I wonder whether deep down Flintoff regrets not paying heed to that suggestion.
If I'm not mistaken, his somewhat peculiar action is as a result of a back injury he faced during his teenage years. He re-modeled his action soon after.

But what a fantastic, entertaining, genuinely big-hearted cricketer. Those three 5'fers were excellent bowling displays, but he bowled superbly from 04-07 and was a match-winner in the truest, purest sense of the word.

A sad day for cricket. Agree with the people saying stats don't reflect the huge ability he had. I think he's one of the most naturally gifted players England has produced, possibly the most gifted that I've seen; ultimately, he underachieved but when he was in form he was simply amazing, particularly bowling wise. His peak was the 05 Ashes where he put in superb match winning performances with bat and ball. His 5 wicket spell at Lord's in 09 is one of the best of this decade imo, amazing consistency in pace and line and length. Could have had even more wickets that day. Wasn't a bad batsman once either and very reliable in the slips. Despite his raw numbers, I think it's a testament that any test side in the world would want a player like him, a true lion hearted competitor and match winner.

One of my favourite players to watch as well. Hope he has a good retirement.
It's all over bar the shouting, launch the pedalo. :bumble

On field the Big guy always give his 100% for England. Fierce Competitor on the field.

Sad he was one of the real england boys now it is only full with pussies they should learn something from him he was a entertaining player!

I didn't see him play that much, only the Pak series. Statistically he is neither a great bowler nor batsman, but he is very highly rated on my PS3-Cricket 2010. I think he is the best player in it.

Why did he have to retire from the sport? He could have given up fast bowling duties, he could still have tried to play on as a batsman for a few more years. I think he should rethink his decision.

Flintoff wouldn't get into the England batting order as a pure batsman. Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood, Prior etc can all be relied on to build a quality test innings more than Flintoff. he's good enough a batsman to be considered a genuine all-rounder, of course, but Flintoff is much more of a bowler really.

Was a good cricketer, however retirement was expected, had been out of action for a long time. Dont think England will miss him much though with the team they have the moment.

Im Genuinly upset by this, I loved freddie (no homo), He was one of my Favourites ever since 2002/3, man was a great cricketer, good sportsmen and a very decent human being also, So-long freddie :42:

I didn't see him play that much, only the Pak series. Statistically he is neither a great bowler nor batsman, but he is very highly rated on my PS3-Cricket 2010. I think he is the best player in it.

LOL..... well that's one way ...

"I'm loaded because of Fred (Flintoff)" - Swann

Graeme Swann on Freddie Flintoff. They played together when they were kids - with Phil Neville!

Swann pays tribute to "superstar" Flintoff
Date released: 16 September 2010

https://www.lords.org/latest-news/news-archive/swann-pays-tribute-to-superstar-flintoff,1710,NS.html

England spinner Graeme Swann says Andrew Flintoff's retirement from cricket is a "sad day" - adding that Flintoff changed the face of cricket in England.

Swann played alongside Flintoff in the England side which won back the Ashes urn from Australia in 2009, after Flintoff had helped England to victory in 2005.

Swann said the man known as 'Freddie' Flintoff was a "superstar":
"It’s a sad day because he was hoping to come back from injury. If he can’t come back form it then it is sad but so be it.

"It is a shame because any team with Fred in is a better side for it and it is a shame for everyone involved with English cricket.

"He changed the face of cricket in England because he is the first real celebrity we’ve had for a while.

"He was one of those cricketers who could change a match at the drop of a hat.

"His stats probably don’t back up how good a player he was but I think everyone realised he could be world-class on his day.

Superstar Flintoff

"I’m loaded because of Fred. That 2005 Ashes was a pivotal moment for English cricket because it was a brilliant summer and everyone was watching the cricket.

"Suddenly Fred became a superstar and deservedly so for the way he played in that Ashes. It raised the profle of cricket and Fred amongst the whole team was probably the biggest amongst it.

"I played against him when I was about 9 or 10 and he was the only guy who could bowl bouncers. He used to open the bowling with [England footballer] Phil Neville. He was massive, he was about six foot when he was 10.

"He was always the same big personality as well. He’s never been shy to offer his opinion on things and be the playmaker in the team - that’s why he was such a loveable rogue for the English public to get behind and adore.

"He was important in the 2009 Ashes because he got the Australians out when we won that game at Lord’s. That was his big contribution in the series and was the most important thing.

"After the Ashes we haven’t seen Fred and this team is bigger than any one individual but it is nice when you get an individual who comes along and can win games off his own back.

"You need someone who the opposition fear and that was Fred."

Phil Neville a cricketer? probably would have done a better job than he did as a footballer

I think all of the Nevilles were good cricketers. :umarakmal

Gary Lineker too.

Last edited:
Flintoff and his celebrations.....ne1 remember his celebration in India.....his lap of honour with his shirt in his hand...

CLASS!

Phil Neville was pretty good as a cricketer. Was rated as the most promising from that batch that prodoved Chilton and Flintoff. Fergie told him cricket was **** and that he would be better off going into football. Actually Fergie couldn't believe that Phil Neville even had a decision to make, in his view cricket isn't a 'real sport'.

Anywayzz.....for me its sad that Flintoff has retired. He did a lot for english cricket. But he was never in my books a great cricketer. Not in the same league as guys like Wasim, Steve Waugh, Lara, Sachin etc. But his contribution as a cricketer for England was huge. He had the personality and swagger to raise the profile of the game, and the fact that his only real match winning performance came against Australia in that Ashes series will make him an English Legend.

Not the greatest cricketer to have played the game - but an explosive one that put bums on seats & got people watching on TV

The Ashes 2005 were his finest moments - great to watch, with bat & ball.

Cricket loses a real character

Quite a few are retiring! :(
Shane Bond,Murli and now Andrew Flintoff

Flintoff aint my favourite but he will be missed.

Shame it all had to end this way.

Flintoff was never going to bowl out the opposition for 80 odd, such as what a bowler like Asif would do. It was more that Flintoff was a truly special character on the field - the type whose mere presence would galvanise the entire team. Every now and again, he would do something astonishing - whether it be a magic ball or an amazing run out. But even when his name was not in the wickets, he was always in the game. He's kinda comparable to Afridi in that sense. Neither Afridi nor Flintoff have amazing stats, but you just know that the team is so much better with them in it. They may not have been great captains (although Afridi still has time to prove his critics wrong!), but they were special cricketers.

When we won the World t20, Afridi led Pakistan in a manner which no other player in the world was capable of doing. Similarly, when England won the Ashes in 2005, Flintoff led England like no other player in the world was capable of doing. Its sad Flintoff has gone, but I think England today doesn’t really need him to win matches. He got them the self-belief, and now they are able to blossom themselves.

:14::14::14:

My sentiments exactly.

He broke my Aussie heart in the 2005 Ashes and he just kept doing brilliant things when thrown the ball. He was their talisman and always lifted the team. Unfortunately was overbowled often which has caught up with him. Plus the fact that he is a big unit puts a fair strain on the body.

He will be missed by all cricket fans. Cheers Fred.

I don't think he was one of the world's greatest ever bowlers, not even close. However, Flintoff was surely one of the best to ever to play the game. Doesn't really make sense but let me try and explain.

:14::14:
Wow how wonderfully you wrote this bhai! :)

Phil and Gary's Dad - Neville (yes Neville Neville!) was a pretty decent fast bowler in the Lancashire leagues and well known in cricketing circles in the district. Both of his sons were very decent cricketers and could have played both games however they both chose football given how much money there is in it. Still think that their first love is cricket.

Yes Flintoff was huge even as a youngster. Pretty quick when I came up against him as a 14 year old even though he was 5 years my junior!

pity. always enjoyed watching his blacksmith-style bulldozing brand of cricket

This guy was one Awesome cricketer. Loved watching him bowl and was a force with the bat when in form. He was probably the best cricketer of 2004-2006. Injuries ruined his career. He's another victim of "What could have been?!"

Phil and Gary's Dad - Neville (yes Neville Neville!) was a pretty decent fast bowler in the Lancashire leagues and well known in cricketing circles in the district. Both of his sons were very decent cricketers and could have played both games however they both chose football given how much money there is in it. Still think that their first love is cricket.

Yes Flintoff was huge even as a youngster. Pretty quick when I came up against him as a 14 year old even though he was 5 years my junior!

:14: Hey you can tell people I faced a young and pumped up Flintoff (don't mention he was nine) :)))

interestingly, a lot of english fans say that he didn't deliver AFTER the 2005 ashes. that's only true because that series was his peak--from 2002 to 2005 he was the best allrounder, with only Kallis coming close. Flintoff did a lot more than just hit and miss v the Aussies at home

Great athlete and player when on song and injury free.... I guess IPL makes sense now.....

lol Afridi finds his way into the thread, wonder what English fans will think.....

I bet he was still a horse of a kid, even at 14. Big raw-boned lad I'll wager.

Yeah he was enormous. I doubt he was 6ft at aged 10 as Swann says but by the time he was 14 he was up there - probably at least 6ft 2in I would say and powerfully built even then.

By the time he was 16 he had fully grown into his heavyweight boxer frame - 6ft 4/5in & probably weighing in at 16st!

Saeed-Sohail.......here you go.............X

Forgot to mention that their sister - Tracey Neville is / was an England international netball player.

Re: Andrew Flintoff announces retirement from cricket [Merged]

I might just start actively rooting for England again.

Back