[VIDEOS] U-19 World Cup winner alleges match fixing in Bengal club cricket

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Such incidents have come to light before as well in India, and then they fade into silence.
================================================

Shreevats Goswami, who was part of India's U-19 World Cup-winning team in 2008, has alleged that a match in Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) first division league looked like it was fixed. Taking to Facebook, the former crickter shared a couple of clips from the fixture between Mohammedan Sporting and Town Club. The video seemingly shows two Mohammedan Sporting batters, one right-handed and the other left, throwing away their wickets with purpose.

Goswami emphasised that club cricket is the heart and soul of Bengal, urging the management not to ruin it.

"This is a Super Division match in Kolkata Club Cricket, two big teams doing this, any idea what's going on here? "I am ashamed to see this having played the game which is so close to my heart. I love cricket and I love playing in Bengal but looking at this breaks my heart. Club cricket is heart and soul of Bengal cricket please don't ruin it. I think this is called 'got up' cricket. Where is the media now?" Goswami posted on Facebook.

Meanwhile, Goswami announced his retirement from Test cricket in October last year.

He drew curtains on a 15-year long career, having made his debut for Bengal in 2008.

"Announcing my retirement from first-class cricket. It has been an incredible journey on the cricket field, and it feels like the right time to call it off. It has been an honor and privilege to play this beautiful game for as long as I did as well as represent various teams and IPL franchises," Goswami had posted on X (formerly Twitter).

"I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to my teammates, coaches, CAB and the BCCI, and everyone who supported me throughout my career. I am grateful to my family, who have been a pillar of strength for me throughout my cricketing journey. Cricket has given me countless memories and lifelong friendships to cherish," he added.

Goswami played under Virat Kohli's captaincy during the 2008 U19 World Cup in Malaysia. India lifted the title after beating South Africa in the final.

Unfortunately, Goswami never really manage to break into the Indian senior team.

NDTV

Who even watches or bets on these matches for which there will be some potential match fixing ?

I expected better rather than a blanket statement! Where do you think Pakistan sits in the world of cricket fixing?
Below India in the fixing rankings.

If Lords is the Home of Cricket then India is the home of fixing in cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely threw their wickets away on purpose.

Is it fixing or is it just tossing the match for rankings or perhaps in protest? Seems odd to fix a club match.

Is it fixing or is it just tossing the match for rankings or perhaps in protest? Seems odd to fix a club match.
Could be anything, but why bother when we can allege fixing. Definitely not a good sight though, such events open themselves to speculation.

Nobody bets on these crappy no-name leagues. It seems like some sort of protest.

Batters were in a hurry to get back to the dug-out. Maybe their food was getting cold. Jokes apart, this can be some sort of protest against some mismanagement or wrong umpiring decisions or it could be fixing as well. Many such incidents have been reported in the past as well. Cannot say much just by looking at 2 videos.

Not really

Pakistan has more match fixers. Justice Qayyum had saved almost an entire team.

The big betting mafias are in India. The gangsters, bookmakers, agents, fixers are all Indian.

Do you really think that this network only targeted Pakistan and Hansje Cronje?

The big names of India were also saved by the BCCI.

The people who made these young players fix matches should be behind bars for life. They not only destroy careers of these young cricketers but also damage the game badly.

Below India in the fixing rankings.

If Lords is the Home of Cricket then India is the home of fixing in cricket.
Saleem Malik, butt, akram, asif and amir along with many others whose names i have forgotten, a proud tradition lasting generations.

Truely lumber 1, the spiritual home of fixing

Back