[VIDEOS] "I am happy that I got failures in my early stage. Now I know what standards I have to reach": Saim Ayub

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
If he knows what he has to do and he has to learn, why is there no improvement in his batting?

-------------------------------

Saim Ayub speaking in an interview:

"All I know is that I have a lot left to do at the international level,"

"I have a lot to learn. I need to improve my game a lot, which will help me dominate. I am working on those things.”

"I learned a lot from failures. Top cricketers told me that you learn more from failures than you learn from success. I am happy that I got failures in my early stage. Now I know what standards I have to reach. If I had early success, I wouldn't improve in those important areas."

"One and a half years ago, I was watching [the Pakistan team] on TV. I never thought I would play with them so soon. Especially in Tests - I didn't think it would happen. I had only played 14 first-class matches up till then. I thought I might need a few years to get into the Test team. I thought I'd be working on my technique and mentality.”

"By Allah's grace, I got into the team. The Test cap is the most valuable thing to me. I was very excited about it. They suddenly told me. I was surprised. I was ready mentally. I was really happy.“

"The debut doesn't happen again, so you have to now look past it. You have to dominate international cricket. There are no more excuses. You have to do it,"

"One and a half years ago, I was watching [the Pakistan team] on TV. I never thought I would play with them so soon. I thought I might need a few years to get into the Test team"

"[A range of shots] is needed in modern cricket. If there are eight zones in the field, I want to be able to hit the ball in all of them. There's so much analysis in the game these days that you have to stay ahead of it. I want to prepare myself that way.”

"I have the same level of interest in all three formats. I love Tests as much as I love playing T20Is and ODIs. I want to play all three formats. Legends play all three formats. Your white-ball game becomes slightly easier when you play red-ball cricket.”

"When I first played PSL, I hadn't played any domestic T20s. I didn't play the U-19 World Cup due to injury, so I went directly from U-19 cricket to PSL. It is a big jump. PSL level is almost like international cricket. I would have got some idea about T20s if I had played some domestic [T20] matches. It was three-day and one-day cricket in our U-19 level,"

"I couldn't believe I was playing in the PSL, especially when someone like Chris Gayle batted at the other end. I didn't know what to do. It took me a bit of time to adapt”

"At 18 or 19, you can change and adapt quite easily. When you turn 25 or 28, changing something in your skill set becomes difficult. You have to make that change early. It is the mentality that needs enhancement.”

"It wasn't that I totally changed my batting. I enhanced some of my skills. I had a bit of skills to work with. I did strike a few fours and sixes in that PSL. I could play a bit. But I didn't have the mindset about how to think, how to play. My coaches helped me get that focus. Basically I enhanced my mentality about 90%. The other 10%, I worked on my skills,"

"You can say that PSL lets you play with similar level of cricketers. You have overseas players as well. You get to practise how to handle pressure. When you get used to it in the PSL, you know what you may be facing at the international level.”

"Otherwise, cricket-wise it is similar [to the lower levels]. Bowlers and conditions are almost similar. If a bowler is bowling at 150-plus kph [in domestic cricket], he won't bowl at 160kph at the highest level. It is almost the same, except for handling the pressure,"

"For me, going around the world to play cricket, I want to experience different conditions, people, situations, grounds. To play in new places, [under] new coaches and meeting new people. It gives new challenges to win matches in different scenarios. It also develops my personality to know how to communicate with people from England, Australia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India and West Indies. I am very interested in all this, which will allow me to grow.”

"I like it when people give me love. I was like them, so I shouldn't forget where I have come from. I never will.”

"I don't use my social media. Someone else manages my account. I don't have social media on my phone. I don't use it. I am done with it. I don't like it,"

Brother… you played a handful of games… mostly t20s where you had to chase 200+ surrounded by 2 lethargic ODI SR batsmen.

Hopefully you won’t let their negativity get to you and curb your natural instincts.

If Dhoni was Pakistani he’d never be who he became because he’d be dropped after his initial single digit score for being too “reckless” by bogus and timid Pakistan batting standards

Are we not going to give a 21 year old the license to fail? We finally have a batsman that plays with a proactive and modern approach and the knives are already out. He's come off two great back to back debut tournamnets (PSL,CPL) and a few failures now and people have started doubting his ability.

Trust and back your talents and most importantly LET THEM FAIL. You only learn when you fail. Coaches/fans getting into his head and tinkering with his technique and natural flair will be a DISASTER. Let him fail.

Top, top lad and quite the talent as well. Very unusual for a young Pakistani cricketer not to be swayed by the glitz and glamour of being a international cricketer.

Are we not going to give a 21 year old the license to fail? We finally have a batsman that plays with a proactive and modern approach and the knives are already out. He's come off two great back to back debut tournamnets (PSL,CPL) and a few failures now and people have started doubting his ability.

Trust and back your talents and most importantly LET THEM FAIL. You only learn when you fail. Coaches/fans getting into his head and tinkering with his technique and natural flair will be a DISASTER. Let him fail.

I agree.

He should be given more chances. He seems like a good hitter.

Dude’s head isn’t still when connecting with the ball.

On one hand you have Saim reflecting on his failures and willing to improve, on the other hand you have Azam Khan blaming others and crying that he only got 3 out 5 games.

Saim Ayub looks like a good talented batsman. He should be given chances to grow as a cricketer. Hope the fans and media don't expect Superman-like performances from him in every match. The role for us as an audience is to watch and enjoy how he plays the best of the bowlers.

I have been following his batting for 4-5 years even before he made his PSL debut. He seems to have a good technique and has wide variety of shots. He looks mentally strong as well so I think it will just be a matter of a few good innings for him at the international level to make everyone believe that he belongs to that level.

Saim took his remarks regarding failure in the early stages too seriously... right after that he hardly performed.

We shouldn’t be investing in such slogger type players at all. Name me one player in the past who made it big in International Cricket for our team? Only Nasir Jamshed had some success but he had proper cricketing shot as well.

50 (36) for Saim Ayub
2 sizes
5 fours
139 sr which is ok, but nothing great. He needs to unleash now

Ayub hit 88 (55) today, which is the highest individual score of PSL 9, overtaking Rizwan's score of 82
4 sixes
8 fours
160 sr

He started slow but later accelerated well.

Ayub hit 88 (55) today, which is the highest individual score of PSL 9, overtaking Rizwan's score of 82
4 sixes
8 fours
160 sr

He started slow but later accelerated well.
Saim Ayub takes charge with the ball:

- Balls: 6
- Runs: 3
- Wickets: 0

An excellent over delivered by Saim Ayub.

Saim Ayub awarded the Man of the Match for his match winning 88 off 55 deliveries against Lahore Qalandars.

Boy is back on track!

1708887219847.png

Man this kid is so crazy talented. When he's in his element he plays such incredible, confident shots. Its so refreshing to see a Pakistani batting talent come through who's not just full of potential but also bats in such an uninhibited way and feels up to date with the modern standards of the game. Sky is the limit for him if he doesn't get bad advice and finds a way to evolve without losing this aggression and confidence.

Man this kid is so crazy talented. When he's in his element he plays such incredible, confident shots. Its so refreshing to see a Pakistani batting talent come through who's not just full of potential but also bats in such an uninhibited way and feels up to date with the modern standards of the game. Sky is the limit for him if he doesn't get bad advice and finds a way to evolve without losing this aggression and confidence.

He's an outstanding fielder as well. I do feel he should have converted that into a century but I guess he still shows his inexperience. Ayub is the most talented hitter of all the new breed of Pakistan limited over batsmen. I hope he will be shown some patience by the selectors and allowed to fail a few times. Playing that sort of cricket is inevitably high risk but when it comes off, it wins games.

He's an outstanding fielder as well. I do feel he should have converted that into a century but I guess he still shows his inexperience. Ayub is the most talented hitter of all the new breed of Pakistan limited over batsmen. I hope he will be shown some patience by the selectors and allowed to fail a few times. Playing that sort of cricket is inevitably high risk but when it comes off, it wins games.
He wasn't trying to prod the ball around just to get to a milestone. He was trying to add as many runs as possible at the end of the innings. I see that as a positive.

He is a natural hitter.

Pakistan should play him and Fakhar as openers in the next World T20.

If he could bowl 2-3 overs of spin for the international side a match, he would become invaluable - it would open up our possible combinations so much.

Yeah lets see how he fares in international after this psl stint. Was terrible in the field against australia and terrible with the bat against nz.

A very good opening spell from Saim Ayub. He has declared that he is not a part-time bowler anymore. In 2 overs, he conceded 15 runs and grabbed 2 wickets.

Saim opened the bowling for Zalmi to target the left-hander Colin Munro with his off-spin.

Before having the opportunity to bowl to Munro, Saim delivered an exceptional ball that disturbed Hales' stumps.

This dismissal marked Saim as the first player in the history of the tournament to both be dismissed on the first ball and take a wicket on the first ball of a match.

Yeah lets see how he fares in international after this psl stint. Was terrible in the field against australia and terrible with the bat against nz.
He's a really good fielder and was good in the field against Australia as well aside from that drop in the slips that we all remember him for.

He must find an answer to deliveries from good seamers on middle and off with little bit of movement either way.

He could've been out second ball - feet going nowhere and slashing wildly, didn't even get close to a wide one.

Saim Ayub gone after a fiery knock of 46(22) against MS for PZ today. His strike rate was above 200.

Heard the same about umer akmal decades ago.

Pakistani batsman has a pattern, and it repeats always.

I wouldn't call this kid mentally strong but susceptible to criticism.

after watching his bowling spell i can say that he could be a very handy batting all rounder for pakistan, specially in T20 cricket where he can easily bowl 2 overs in every match so we can get rid off frauds like Nawaz.

Heard the same about umer akmal decades ago.

Pakistani batsman has a pattern, and it repeats always.

I wouldn't call this kid mentally strong but susceptible to criticism.

Umar had genuine mental difficulties but the PCB will hardly win any awards for the way they handled him.

There needs to be a plan in place for Saim's development.

Not just randomly give him a test debut and 4 tough t20 games before unceremoniously dropping him for another debutant who isn't even a opener.

In my view Saim needs to be told he will be picked unconditionally for the next 3 series. His potential is clear and at this stage it is all about the investment rather than the return.

Either that or send him back to domestics to cook and don't even think about selecting him for multiple years.

Saim Ayub, while speaking to a local channel, stressed that he has been bowling in the nets for two or three years:

"The opportunity to bowl came in this season. I try to fulfil whatever responsibility is demanded of me and try to give my best."

"I have nothing to lose in bowling so I bowled openly. The experience of powerplay in batting has helped me in planning while bowling."

A lot of guidance comes from Babar. Sometimes I do things he will ask me to stop, like if he says not to play shots, I will go for it and when he says go for it, I will not."

"But opening with him is exciting."

This is quite an interesting stat:

The only two players to score more than 200 runs & take 5 or more wickets in this PSL are:
- Shadab Khan
- Saim Ayub

Ayub is becoming a really handy all-rounder. Imad 2.0

During the post-match ceremony after the match against Quetta Gladiators, Saim Ayub said:

"I used to practice bowling right from the beginning and whenever there's a chance I apply for it. As you know if i get an opportunity to bowl I always try to apply."

"In batting obviously I am getting a good start but I need to play longer innings, the day I bat till the last over it will benefit the team."

"It's crucial to put pressure on the opponent team at the start of the inning and the plan after the powerplay is to play sensibly and maintain the required run rate because T20 is a game of momentum and losing it means losing the grip on the game."

"Batting with Babar Azam is a lot of fun, I started batting with him last year and I consider myself lucky to observe his batting so closely while playing with him."

During the post-match ceremony after the match against Quetta Gladiators, Saim Ayub said:

"I used to practice bowling right from the beginning and whenever there's a chance I apply for it. As you know if i get an opportunity to bowl I always try to apply."

"In batting obviously I am getting a good start but I need to play longer innings, the day I bat till the last over it will benefit the team."

"It's crucial to put pressure on the opponent team at the start of the inning and the plan after the powerplay is to play sensibly and maintain the required run rate because T20 is a game of momentum and losing it means losing the grip on the game."

"Batting with Babar Azam is a lot of fun, I started batting with him last year and I consider myself lucky to observe his batting so closely while playing with him."

Huge positive his bowling for T20Is.

Even if he scores a quick 35 but then takes a few wickets or slows down opposition...

This kid is pure talent. What can he not do! Very good batman, a decent handy bowler and an amazing fielder. Such an exciting prospect for Pakistan. I hope he continues to improve inshallah. Jamal and Ayub both have great potential.

Saim as an all-rounder who can take wickets, sure, why not. Bring him on. He has been impressive with The bat as well.

Mohammad Hafeez praises Saim Ayub's all-round skills, stating during a program on a local sports channel:

"The impact that Saim Ayub and Babar Azam are making throughout the tournament is not visible in any other partnership. Babar, obviously a technical player, plays long innings. But Saim's immediate attacking approach against bowlers is impressive, maintaining a good shape while playing shots. While he has made a significant batting contribution, I still want him to face more balls and play longer innings. He doesn't have an issue with playing shots; instead, he needs to focus on staying at the stumps, and if he faces 40 balls, he will likely achieve a century very soon."

"I am delighted to see the kind of player we needed in Pakistan's lineup, someone contributing with both batting and bowling in ODIs and T20Is. Now, we have a player who can bowl 2-4 overs in T20s and 5-8 overs in ODIs, strengthening Pakistan's overall combination in both batting and bowling. Witnessing a good all-round performance emerging is something we are observing. Saim Ayub was already a batter, but in this PSL, he has come forward as a proper all-rounder. He is not just a non-regular bowler; the bowling he has showcased so far is that of a proper bowler. I'm really impressed."

Saim Ayub proved that he could be a very handy part-time bowler for his team. He conceded only 18 runs in 4 overs and took 1 crucial wicket of Shan Masood.

Saim Ayub's bowling has been a nice find this tournament. Can be very useful bowling up the order.

Most sixes in PSL 9

1- Saim Ayub: 17 sixes, 10 innings

2- Rassie van der Dussen: 16 sixes, 7 innings

3- Kieron Pollard: 15 sixes, 8 innings

4- Saud Shakeel: 15 sixes, 9 innings

5- Mohammad Rizwan: 15 sixes, 11 innings

Saim turned out to be the best power play striker for Peshawar Zalmi this season. Hopefully it will help him earn his spot in the Pakistan team for the New Zealand series.

Saim Ayub (PZ) in PSL 9 so far:

Matches 10

Bowling:

Wickets 6 BBF 2/15 Average 24.16 Economy 6.90

Batting:

Runs 272 HS 88 Average 27.2 Strike Rate 155.42 50's 1

His bowling looks quite decent he’s an absolute must in the pakistan team. All rounder

In full flow he is magestic . He needs to open in the world cup with Babar. This is a good opening combo and he is learning from him.

Back