[VIDEOS] "Foreign coaches never make me feel that I am lacking in any skills, but that is not how I feel when I play for the Pakistan team": Azam Khan

He has a big mouth for someone who has done absolutely nothing in international cricket. Atleast play one international innings of note before you go down the Ahmed Shahzad route of blaming everyone but yourself for your failures.

Problem is he is not the best wicket keeper in Pakistan, it is Rizwan.

If Azam plays for Pakistan then there is nowhere to hide him in the field.

We are already hiding Rizwan as an opener

So why not hide Azam as a keeper??

Babar the opener was a bigger issue than Rizwan which has been worked on.

Azam in the field is not something which can be easily worked on.

If Azam plays he keeps wicket, no question about it.

It’s a downgrade on Rizwan but not as much as it would be to have him in the field.

This boy could have been the best one out there but so far, he has failed at the internationals. Look at his strike rate so far in PSL 9. One more chance?

cIM3AHQ.png
1 more chance and then what? Did you actually see the hit me balls he got yesterday? You think in Int cricket pacers from Aus, SA, NZ and India will bowl such stuff?

Interesting statement from Azhar Ali. He claims that Azam Khan has actually gained more weight in the last 2 years rather than maintaining his previous weight.

Interesting statement from Azhar Ali. He claims that Azam Khan has actually gained more weight in the last 2 years rather than maintaining his previous weight.
I agree with his observation. I wrote the same in this thread few days back - he has gotten fatter, which is unbelievable because he burns a lot more calories and is physically far more active than your average obese person.

His calorie intake must be astronomically high and it is ridiculous that no one has been able to keep him in check.

He is not good enough for international cricket. He needs bowling in his zone and it won't happen much at highest level.

Having the best keeper should be the biggest priority on the field.
Maybe. But with Pakistan sorely lacking power hitters I can understand why people want to try and get him into the team at the cost of efficiency in the field.

Personally I don’t pick Azam Khan in any format but I can see it from the other side.

Azam Khan can have a highly successful career as a T20 league globetrotter. He should stick to that because his egregious fitness has no place in international cricket. Being fat or out of shape is one thing. But being as obese as he is, is something else altogether. The fact that he has made no attempt to lose any weight, and has infact gained more, tells you all you need to know about his commitment towards this sport and how seriously he takes it.

Maybe. But with Pakistan sorely lacking power hitters I can understand why people want to try and get him into the team at the cost of efficiency in the field.

Personally I don’t pick Azam Khan in any format but I can see it from the other side.
He is a tailender in International cricket.

Speaking on a local sports channel Azhar Ali gave remarks about Azam Khan's weight, he said:

"While watching, it seems like Azam Khan is not maintaining his weight and gaining more. That is not a good thing to see because I feel if you saw him two years ago, his weight was less."

If Azam Khan gets another chance in internationals he has to keep and Rizwan can field in the outfield.

Speaking on a local sports channel Azhar Ali gave remarks about Azam Khan's weight, he said:

"While watching, it seems like Azam Khan is not maintaining his weight and gaining more. That is not a good thing to see because I feel if you saw him two years ago, his weight was less."
What’s his views on Babar Azam’s weight? Not allowed to talk about him?

Dont know whats more pathetic Azam Khans fitness or Rameez commentary, I mean they way he is hyping Azam Khan up is so embarrassing. At first I wanted Azam never to play for Pak again, but now I actually wish for him to play a few more International games vs proper bowlers.

What a sight it would be seeing him hop around vs the likes of Cummins etc.

What’s his views on Babar Azam’s weight? Not allowed to talk about him?

Azhar Ali is Misbah's copycat. He just parroted the same words.

Babar's weight should actually be under greater scrutiny because this guy is supposed to be serious about international cricket. Azam Khan clearly isn't so they should let him be. If his dad, Moin Khan, can't change him, no one else will.

Azam Khan has 2 shots
1. Chip over cover
2. Slog over midwicket.
Thats all. He has no game for channel bowling or short of length. Doesn't look international quality to me.

Azam Khan has 2 shots
1. Chip over cover
2. Slog over midwicket.
Thats all. He has no game for channel bowling or short of length. Doesn't look international quality to me.
He will never be international standard. He's a tail ender against proper teams as shown by his record average of 4 with 90 odd sr.

Azhar Ali is Misbah's copycat. He just parroted the same words.

Babar's weight should actually be under greater scrutiny because this guy is supposed to be serious about international cricket. Azam Khan clearly isn't so they should let him be. If his dad, Moin Khan, can't change him, no one else will.
I disagree.

Azhar Ali never wanted to ve a captain, he was forced to under misbah, after poor results he immediately stepped down whereas misbah lingered on for 4 years and lingered on as coach after.

Azhar also didn't really make bad decisions in terms of selection, not Any I recall, he was just clueless on which bowlers to bring or field placements like babar is.

Also as an opener he was far far superior to imam, Imam got exposed badly when faced with competent bowlers hence his inflated stats, azhar was the only good opener in Bangladesh series where we were humiliated and he was consistent in ct 2017.

His only downside is that he fell off in test due to age but In prime, he's the only other player in test who could reach those mega 300's minus younis Khan.

In context of this interview, I don't think azhar is deliberately being a misbah and trying to not mention babar's weight, I think it's cause babar is untouchable and no one can talk about him. Regardless, azhar's remarks on azam Khan are correct and his past interviews are consistent.

Not like misbah who backtracks 24/7 in every interview.

Azam Khan can hit big sixes but this sentence is only suitable for leagues. He is just another league bully who fails at the big stage. His performance makes him capable player of franchise cricket that is it.

PCB have increased his Daily Biryani Allowance (DBA).
I always wonder how sportsmen become obese in the first place,

Don't get me wrong, an average Joe being obese isn't that big a deal, that's your average american/ Australian,

But how can a player who plays a sport which requires running, fielding and athleticism since he's a keeper, be so obese? Let alone even be allowed to play?

It just never made any sense to me, like it's your job?

I disagree.

Azhar Ali never wanted to ve a captain, he was forced to under misbah, after poor results he immediately stepped down whereas misbah lingered on for 4 years and lingered on as coach after.

I agree with this because I remember it was Misbah who proposed for his mate Azhar Ali to become the next captain, even in ODIs despite the fact that he didn't even a warrant a place in the side.

Azhar also didn't really make bad decisions in terms of selection, not Any I recall, he was just clueless on which bowlers to bring or field placements like babar is.

Azhar Ali was indeed tactically inept but from what I remember his selections were questionable at the time.

Also as an opener he was far far superior to imam, Imam got exposed badly when faced with competent bowlers hence his inflated stats, azhar was the only good opener in Bangladesh series where we were humiliated and he was consistent in ct 2017.

Completely agree here. Imam was so bad that he made someone like Azhar Ali look world class in comparison to him. That half century in the CT Final is criminally underrated.

His only downside is that he fell off in test due to age but In prime, he's the only other player in test who could reach those mega 300's minus younis Khan.

Pre-Younis Khan, he was decent and other than Younis Khan, he was the only one capable of scoring those big hundreds (150+ scores). After Younis Khan's retirement, he was unable to carry the side, the way Younis Khan could, which wasn't surprising because he was batting at a strike rate of 40, so he couldn't dominate bowling attacks and therefore relied on to carry the side.

In context of this interview, I don't think azhar is deliberately being a misbah and trying to not mention babar's weight, I think it's cause babar is untouchable and no one can talk about him. Regardless, azhar's remarks on azam Khan are correct and his past interviews are consistent.

Azhar Ali has a habit of copying Misbah's interviews. By no means am I insinuating that he's a Misbah clone. Had Misbah criticised Babar for being out of shape and letting his fitness standards drop, I guarantee you, Azhar Ali would've been echoing the sentiments.

Not like misbah who backtracks 24/7 in every interview.

This guy will say anything to convince the PCB that he's got the know how to coach Pakistan despite his long list of failures as Captain, Head Coach and Chief Selector.

I always wonder how sportsmen become obese in the first place,

Don't get me wrong, an average Joe being obese isn't that big a deal, that's your average american/ Australian,

But how can a player who plays a sport which requires running, fielding and athleticism since he's a keeper, be so obese? Let alone even be allowed to play?

It just never made any sense to me, like it's your job?

Azam Khan's case is mind boggling because if I was Moin Khan I would do everything possible to convince and help him lose weight. He's clearly needs help because if he keeps going like this, his health is in real danger, not when he hits 40, but he could be in trouble even at 30-35.

I honestly blame Moin Khan for instilling any discipline and letting eat care free during his younger years.

I agree with this because I remember it was Misbah who proposed for his mate Azhar Ali to become the next captain, even in ODIs despite the fact that he didn't even a warrant a place in the side.

Azhar Ali was indeed tactically inept but from what I remember his selections were questionable at the time.

Completely agree here. Imam was so bad that he made someone like Azhar Ali look world class in comparison to him. That half century in the CT Final is criminally underrated.

Pre-Younis Khan, he was decent and other than Younis Khan, he was the only one capable of scoring those big hundreds (150+ scores). After Younis Khan's retirement, he was unable to carry the side, the way Younis Khan could, which wasn't surprising because he was batting at a strike rate of 40, so he couldn't dominate bowling attacks and therefore relied on to carry the side.

Azhar Ali has a habit of copying Misbah's interviews. By no means am I insinuating that he's a Misbah clone. Had Misbah criticised Babar for being out of shape and letting his fitness standards drop, I guarantee you, Azhar Ali would've been echoing the sentiments.

This guy will say anything to convince the PCB that he's got the know how to coach Pakistan despite his long list of failures as Captain, Head Coach and Chief Selector.
Interview wise, almost everyone is a misbah clone by that logic?

It's an interview not an actual coaching role, so they'll just say the extremely obvious things or rehash statements.

Azhar isn't a coach, nor will he ever be one for Pakistan as he ain't interested. He'll just do interviews stating obvious things.

As for questionable selections, he had questionable selections but not because he was corrupt, its because he was genuinely a bad captain which he admitted multiple times and even stepped down for sarfraz since psl made it clear who was superior.

Had misbah been incharge he would have never admitted to the public that he's the problem and that he's a bad captain so he should step down.

I'm not saying azhar is a good player or anything, but calling him a misbah clone is harsh even in context of interviews.

I respect Azhar because not many pakistani players will just admit to the media that their bad captains, that they were forced to become captains and that they should step down for a better captain. The day misbah does this, is the day santa clause comes to life and actually delivers me his Christmas present.

Azam Khan's case is mind boggling because if I was Moin Khan I would do everything possible to convince and help him lose weight. He's clearly needs help because if he keeps going like this, his health is in real danger, not when he hits 40, but he could be in trouble even at 30-35.

I honestly blame Moin Khan for instilling any discipline and letting eat care free during his younger years.
Most of the people I've met over the years who tend to be overweight as teens and then as young adults and keep gaining it are usually the people with chill and non caring parents who don't really bother too much.

Now if I had kids, I'd send my children to military school if they even so much as exceeded 90KG let alone reach 130+.

Most of the people I've met over the years who tend to be overweight as teens and then as young adults and keep gaining it are usually the people with chill and non caring parents who don't really bother too much.

Now if I had kids, I'd send my children to military school if they even so much as exceeded 90KG let alone reach 130+.
Problem is he’s been allowed to play domestic or PSL/ league cricket before losing weight. He’s made it now and gets to enjoy the sport that he loves. Worse still, he might worry that losing weight will affect his performance negatively.

Had he been told when he was younger, lose weight or you won’t even play domestic or PSL, there was a chance the guy actually might have lost weight. It would be a choice of losing weight or giving up what he loves. And I’ve heard him speak on cricket, I think he genuinely is passionate about the sport. He isn’t in that choice anymore. He is probably our most in demand league player now. If there was an IPL auction he’d fetch the highest price out of all our batsmen. It’s incredible given his fitness. But middle order players that strike at that high SR are rare. He knows this too, he’s under no illusion his demand. He knows leagues will cave and allow his poor fitness as a result. He spoke even recently other PSL teams were trying to get him this season, but he chose to stay loyal to Islamabad.

Azam will be back into the squad again and again. There’s no genuine competition to him. That’s why we should probably give him a long run when picked and a fair chance like the others. There’s no point dropping him after a few failures and punishing him for his fitness, it won’t work. We’re just going to eventually recall him down the line again, and the cycle will repeat itself. Or we make it absolutely clear to him, he will not play international cricket at that weight, no matter his performance. But we’re just too desperate for middle order batsmen, we’re never going to seriously do that.

Azam made it into the team 2 times. 7-8 t20 games are more than enough for any player to at least show a 10 percent glimpse of what he can actually do. Azam has been poor in doing so. He failed in each and every game which is something to be worried about. Not even in 1 game he showed his domestic or league cricket-like game.

Azam made it into the team 2 times. 7-8 t20 games are more than enough for any player to at least show a 10 percent glimpse of what he can actually do. Azam has been poor in doing so. He failed in each and every game which is something to be worried about. Not even in 1 game he showed his domestic or league cricket-like game.
Because he is only a world class player in his own little brain.

My friend's younger brother has weight issues due to hormonal problems. He is an insane power hitter but his career ended at junior level. He was rejected in U17 trials at state level in India despite being best batsman in trial matches. The selectors bluntly told him he will never get selected being overweight. I think Azam won't be even playing PSL if he was not son of Moin Khan. I guess he is very privileged and showing tantrums as expected.

Having the best keeper should be the biggest priority on the field.
True, in that case Rizwan keeps. But where do you hide Azam, he'll turn into the biggest concern on the field?! Or Pakistan plays T20s with a permanent floating slip.

Watching Azam in slow motion is cringe and an embarrassment!

True, in that case Rizwan keeps. But where do you hide Azam, he'll turn into the biggest concern on the field?! Or Pakistan plays T20s with a permanent floating slip.

Watching Azam in slow motion is cringe and an embarrassment!
Why do you need to hide Azam? People act as if he is the 2nd coming of Viv Richards. He is NOT International standard, simple.

Why people cant understand that? He will look like a tailender against proper bowlers.

While talking to medie the ex-New Zealand coach Mike Hesson praised Azam Khan but wants him to bring more consistency to his game, he said:

"Azam can attack both spinners and pacers. He has the ability that very few have,"

"There is more more work to be done on Azam since he is still not a finished product. If he brings more consistency, every team in the world will pick him."

During a TV show Mohammad Hafeez offered advice to Azam Khan, he said:

"Azam Khan needs to understand that if he plays with controlled aggression he can perform well. As we have seen he has only played 9 or 10 balls but if he manages to play 20 balls he can alter the outcome of any match."

"He has a lot of power which allows him to hit a six from any position."

During a TV show Mohammad Hafeez offered advice to Azam Khan, he said:

"Azam Khan needs to understand that if he plays with controlled aggression he can perform well. As we have seen he has only played 9 or 10 balls but if he manages to play 20 balls he can alter the outcome of any match."

"He has a lot of power which allows him to hit a six from any position."
Hafeez has it in for him

Just like Misbah has it in for Amir

And Wasim Akram has it in for Nawaz

And Azhar has it in for Aqib Javed

These guys are all so predictable

Azam Khan is not even trying to face more balls. He wants to hit from ball number 1 and is not putting value to the talent he has of hitting unconventional shots. Not sure if coaches want this or he himself is not serious.

That was an awful shot to play on what was basically a straight ball. Almost every time he bats he gets exposed against pace and yet some people think he can be this supposedly great hitter.

Big Show getting emotional
====
Azam Khan: "I've been with Islamabad United for 3 years and it's like a family. I was quite emotional because we've reached the final after many years. I'm really happy that Karachi is my home and playing the PSL final here will be amazing."

Hope we have seen the last of him. Such a pathetic bat. I mean just look at the dismissal today and where his feet are going. Such players should not even be playing PSL.

so now he is playing with foreign coaches and still sucks.

Guy will come up with every excuse instead of focussing on his fitness.

Azam has just 1 good knock so far in this PSL. nothing much to show since then. He is another guy with all the talks and no-show.

Horrible turnamemt for babloo so far, do u guys think he is playing at right number because in CPL he was batting at number 4 and performed really well.

Babloo ka saban bhi slow hai, so is his running between the wickets, his keeping and his reflexes in batting.

I would love to see him open any day... Imagine if he clicks, that would be a nightmare for the opposition but if he doesn't the same would be true for his own team. :ROFLMAO:

I would love to see him open any day... Imagine if he clicks, that would be a nightmare for the opposition but if he doesn't the same would be true for his own team. :ROFLMAO:
He won't click, I watched his last dismissal, dude has extremely slow reflexes.

No one in the t20 world cup will give him hit me balls, anyone who bowls straight will get him dismissed.

I literally watched his interview where he said

" People say to be a wicketkeeper you need to be athletic, idk, I think I'm very Atheletic."

Joke of the century.

Azam Khan is not even trying to face more balls. He wants to hit from ball number 1 and is not putting value to the talent he has of hitting unconventional shots. Not sure if coaches want this or he himself is not serious.
Perhaps it's us who need to understand that he's not in the physical form to play a long innings by T20 standards, let alone ODIs. Keeping for 20 overs plus batting for 8-10 overs might create issues with his joints, feet etc. The team cannot simply treat him as a regular cricketer.

Perhaps it's us who need to understand that he's not in the physical form to play a long innings by T20 standards, let alone ODIs. Keeping for 20 overs plus batting for 8-10 overs might create issues with his joints, feet etc. The team cannot simply treat him as a regular cricketer.
He shouldn't be playing if he cannot be treated like a regular cricketer. No special treatment sorry.

He has two things going for him which makes him special, he has 'talent' and lineage, his father was a Pakistan great!
His talent is useless when his international average is in single digits and anyone can just get him out.

His lineage is useless, no one cares. Imam has inzimam as his lineage yet imam got exposed the moment he had to face quality bowlers and not c string players. Even if you count those c string performances, Imam still wouldn't be half as good as inzimam, heck he's not even worth 10% of inzimam.

Not international material at this moment. He may improve his technique and temperament but atm i wont rush him back

Overweight and overrated

He doesn't deserve to be selected. Haris is a better option than him in the middle order

Azam has underachieved in this PSL. He might not get a chance in the next series after this performance or will he?

Haider Ali would have done a lot better for IU, if he received regular chances at no.4 position like Azam. Sorry to say but Azam is a tulla. He has only 2 shots - slog over midwicket and chip over cover. He has no game for full length or short of length. His over weight doesn't help in reflexes either. He will remain a club level player only. Nothing personal. Peace

With such a weight, how can someone execute these shots which Azam played tonight?

Easy, by facing Chris Jordan.

Chris is a limited overs bowling phenomenon, whose specialty is to get hit at crucial moments of the game and make the match more exciting.

With a career economy in the ballpark 9 range, the only players who haven't really taken advantage of Chris's profligacy are women cricketers!

Easy, by facing Chris Jordan.

Chris is a limited overs bowling phenomenon, whose specialty is to get hit at crucial moments of the game and make the match more exciting.

With a career economy in the ballpark 9 range, the only players who haven't really taken advantage of Chris's profligacy are women cricketers!
So true!

He has been getting belted for the last 4 or 5 years in every league but still manages to collect a pay packet.

Guess foreign coach also did not work. In what like 12 games and 1 big score.
1 big score in 12 can work in a franchise league because you get so many chances to play and make an impact. I mean you are more likely to qualify for the PSL playoffs than not and really just need to hit in one game to make some headlines.

The coaches have a lot of time to try and coax a performance out of a player and often there isn't really anyone waiting in the wings threatening your place.

1 big score in 12 can work in a franchise league because you get so many chances to play and make an impact. I mean you are more likely to qualify for the PSL playoffs than not and really just need to hit in one game to make some headlines.

The coaches have a lot of time to try and coax a performance out of a player and often there isn't really anyone waiting in the wings threatening your place.
LOL you gave 12 chances to any decent cricketer in Pak FC and I am sure they will have 1 big score in 12 outings.
Azam is a pathetic cricketer and club level material.

LOL you gave 12 chances to any decent cricketer in Pak FC and I am sure they will have 1 big score in 12 outings.
Azam is a pathetic cricketer and club level material.
My point wasn't related to Azam as a player but his points regarding coaches. Of course the foreign coach who is with him for a limited amount of time and has to max existing resources will be more encouraging.

Tubby nearly cost Islamabad the game all on his own. First he ran out his teams best player because he was too fat to run, and then he didn’t make up for it by getting out playing a village cricket shot.

His most vocal supporters are most likely fat and lazy like him.

I am not ‘woke’ enough to support this plus sized model who is more qualified for being Islamabad’s team mascot, in fact he might have a double role, I could swear that giant Teddy Bear was him, but it started to run a bit faster then Azam which gave it away.

Those defending him have a word with yourself, you show up like this even for a club game you’re going to be the joke for the rest of the season, how he has found himself in pro sport is beyond me, only Pakistani’s would back the sumo up.

Embarrassing.

My point wasn't related to Azam as a player but his points regarding coaches. Of course the foreign coach who is with him for a limited amount of time and has to max existing resources will be more encouraging.
He is a lost cause. Only in Pak cricket you will see a person with such fitness levels represent the National team. any captain with a little bit of self respect or dignity would refuse to select him in the playing 11.

Tubby nearly cost Islamabad the game all on his own. First he ran out his teams best player because he was too fat to run, and then he didn’t make up for it by getting out playing a village cricket shot.
Stop blaming Azam, that was totally Guptill's fault!

It was his call and he set off for a quick single with zero respect or consideration to Azam's 'special needs', by the time he realised his mistake it was too late. Kudos to Azam who did not give into his reflexes and stuck his ground, did not move an inch, what foresight, what genius. When people call Azam a 'special' cricketer, they literally mean it!

Back