"If I was asked individually, I wouldn’t have been satisfied to play one down, but I did it for Pakistan": Babar Azam

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Following Peshawar Zalmi's two-run victory against Karachi Kings, Babar was questioned about the significance of his runs as an opener after being demoted to one down spot in the Pakistan team, He said:

"When you talked about me being under a lot of pressure, or if playing as an opener puts a lot of pressure on me, I don’t feel any pressure. I don’t succumb to pressure for anything. It was the team’s demand. Whatever I did, I did it for Pakistan. If I was asked individually, I wouldn’t have been satisfied to play one down, but I did it for Pakistan.

You talked about me taking pressure on these things, but I never take pressure on these things and try to stay focused on my game and my circle. All the youngsters will have to be identified to determine which player will do well for Pakistan in the future, and this is not my job."​

Last edited by a moderator:
Following Peshawar Zalmi's two-run victory against Karachi Kings, Babar was questioned about the significance of his runs as an opener after being demoted to one down spot in Pakistan team, He said:

"I wasn't under any pressure to score runs as an opener [for Zalmi]. I don’t take pressure of anything. It was Pakistan team’s demand at the time. I did that for Pakistan. If I was asked individually, I wasn’t satisfied with the decision to bat at one down position. However, I did that for Pakistan,"

“The difficulty arises when you break things that were already working well. However, management is looking at what can be extracted best from different combinations.”
Pathetic from Babar. This is Pakistan's team not yours. Statements like these warrants a stern warning along with a couple of matches on the bench as a water boy.

Following Peshawar Zalmi's two-run victory against Karachi Kings, Babar was questioned about the significance of his runs as an opener after being demoted to one down spot in Pakistan team, He said:

"I wasn't under any pressure to score runs as an opener [for Zalmi]. I don’t take pressure of anything. It was Pakistan team’s demand at the time. I did that for Pakistan. If I was asked individually, I wasn’t satisfied with the decision to bat at one down position. However, I did that for Pakistan,"

“The difficulty arises when you break things that were already working well. However, management is looking at what can be extracted best from different combinations.”
I wasn't under any pressure to score runs as an opener for Zalmi?

What? 😂

It was Pakistan team’s demand at the time. I did that for Pakistan. If I was asked individually, I wasn’t satisfied with the decision to bat at one down position. However, I did that for Pakistan,"

Boys putting the country first ❤️

Good news for RizBar fans is that it was a demand at that time. Maybe times have changed and we might see them back together

It was the need of the hour for Babar to change his position. He has excelled at number 3 well while the real problem is there atm, rizwan's form. He needs to change as well now.

Babar should be playing wherever he is asked to and the team demands. If he is asked to play at number 3, he should be playing with full approval. Not just say these kind of things later that I am not satisfied etc etc. Be a team man which I am sure he is.

Babar should be playing wherever he is asked to and the team demands. If he is asked to play at number 3, he should be playing with full approval. Not just say these kind of things later that I am not satisfied etc etc. Be a team man which I am sure he is.
The question that I have right now is, what's our team combination for 2024 t20 wc? The tournament is literally less then 3 months away?

Saud has opened this tourney, Abdullah has been a no 3, fakhar has opened, saim has opened, Babar has opened, rizwan has opened, Shan has opened(and failed)

Usman khan isn't up for contention anymore neither is imad. Haider Ali and azam Khan are already tried and tested failures, chacha hasn't been doing well.

Who's going to be our middle order? Like what's our combination?

1) Saim
2) Rizwan
3) Babar
4) Fakhar

Who's no 5,6 and 7?

Please God let it not be chacha, azam and shadab allah khair Karei 💀

The question that I have right now is, what's our team combination for 2024 t20 wc? The tournament is literally less then 3 months away?

Saud has opened this tourney, Abdullah has been a no 3, fakhar has opened, saim has opened, Babar has opened, rizwan has opened, Shan has opened(and failed)

Usman khan isn't up for contention anymore neither is imad. Haider Ali and azam Khan are already tried and tested failures, chacha hasn't been doing well.

Who's going to be our middle order? Like what's our combination?

1) Saim
2) Rizwan
3) Babar
4) Fakhar

Who's no 5,6 and 7?

Please God let it not be chacha, azam and shadab allah khair Karei 💀
Babar will be batting at number 3 and I think top 3 will be same.
Rizwan
saim
babar
fakhar
Shadab
iftikhar
aamer jamal
shaheen
wasim/abbas
naseem
abrar

Babar will be batting at number 3 and I think top 3 will be same.
Rizwan
saim
babar
fakhar
Shadab
iftikhar
aamer jamal
shaheen
wasim/abbas
naseem
abrar
Brother, this is such a trippy combination by pcb lol, but ik their gonna select this.

If this team gets selected then we're gonna get demolished lol.

Brother, this is such a trippy combination by pcb lol, but ik their gonna select this.

If this team gets selected then we're gonna get demolished lol.
Babar is going to play at 3 and fakhar even might not get a chance to open after his failed campaign in PSL. all we have left is Saim and rizwan or maybe farhan (who was not that good in the 2nd part of the PSL). Who else?

The problem is we don't have a t20 team. Pur preparation for the world cup is terrible as everyone wants to be an opener.

If it was up to me I'd have a combination of

Usman khan and saim ayub opening but fakhar as the backup opener primary due to form atm.

Babar would be my no 3 but idk who I'd Select in the middle order. The middle order is non existent.

Rizwan can't function at no 4, nor is chacha a good finisher, haris is hack and clearly not a good player.

Babar is going to play at 3 and fakhar even might not get a chance to open after his failed campaign in PSL. all we have left is Saim and rizwan or maybe farhan (who was not that good in the 2nd part of the PSL). Who else?
As I said, we don't have a t20 team 😂.

Rizwan is not an opener, I don't mind babar being an opener as long as he's supplemented with someone aggressive.

The issue has always been the fact that accumulators all cannot play.

This was the issue in world cup 2023. I called it months back that run rate would be an issue considering we have imam, Abdullah, Babar, rizwam and saud all at 1,2,3,4 and 5.

It's the same issue here, minus saim who's still raw, Babar, rizwan, fakhar and shadab all coming one after the other is a disaster since fakhar cannot go blistic from the get go, and needs time( the nz game 60 ball 100 was an outlier as his other mighty 150's had him accelerate after he settled in).

Shadab is not going to replicate his psl form, you'll see him get out quickly or just have a slow sr. Same with chacha, he ain't a finisher, he's a poor man misbah clone who blocks and waits to hit a 6 in his zone.

no chance for him atm to represent Pakistan. He is a UAE player atm so he is out of picture. Would you move babar and Saim up top?
Yes I would but the issue is still present, rizwan, Babar, shadab and fakhar coming one after the other is gonna be catastrophic

Disgusting and despicable comment from this guy. But its the same guy which Hafeez had to take two months to convince to bat at one down. Due to Babar and Rizwan and their grouping, im increasingly losing interest in Pakistan cricket. All they care about is their “roti” and they have this drama of “family” to protect each other and safe keep their places in the team. Only thing these players care about is their own records and money!

I absolutely abhor Babar Azam, he is extremely selfish, has a very unlikeable personality, zero charm and has no ability to win matches for Pakistan. He is a poor man’s Sachin Tendulkar. Same for Rizwan. I dont see us doing well in the upcoming WC if these two keep their claws in pakistan cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disgusting and despicable comment from this guy. But its the same guy which Hafeez had to take two months to convince to bat at one down. Due to Babar and Rizwan and their grouping, im increasingly losing interest in Pakistan cricket. All they care about is their “roti” and they have this drama of “family” to protect each other and safe keep their places in the team. Only thing these players care about is their own records and money!

I absolutely abhor Babar Azam, he is extremely selfish, has a very unlikeable personality, zero charm and has no ability to win matches for Pakistan. He is a poor man’s Sachin Tendulkar. Same goes for leg ka lapadu Rizwan. I dont see us doing well in the upcoming WC if these two keep their claws in pakistan cricket.
Mate, I think you just insulted Sachin Tendulkar lol, a poor man's Sachin Tendulkar is someone like Mark waugh, not saying mark was bad, infact he was the perfect compliment for Adam gilchrist in 1996, but that shows Sachin class,

Sachin makes all time greats look like poor men versions of himself.

Babar is never gonna be atg Level, whereas Sachin is clearly in the top pantheon of such.

Mohammad Hafeez's response to Babar Azam's criticism on him regarding changing his batting order:

"It took me about two months to convince Babar Azam that you have to do it for Pakistan and you are not the first one who’s doing it,”

“You are a great player, you are a wonderful player, and you play great cricket. However, you have to develop a Pakistan team."

"You [Babar Azam] and [Mohammad] Rizwan are very good players, excellent players, but you are not the whole team.”

“We need to develop a team and, for that, I want you to come, at number 3 because you have been playing this role in ODI cricket for the last six years, so it won’t affect you. Technically, you are very solid. Thank you very much to him that he accepted this, and he played for Pakistan at No. 3 which obviously, I think is the best way to move.”

Mate, I think you just insulted Sachin Tendulkar lol, a poor man's Sachin Tendulkar is someone like Mark waugh, not saying mark was bad, infact he was the perfect compliment for Adam gilchrist in 1996, but that shows Sachin class,

Sachin makes all time greats look like poor men versions of himself.

Babar is never gonna be atg Level, whereas Sachin is clearly in the top pantheon of such.
Sachin shares many similar traits of Babar. Zero charm. Playing for personal milestones. Babar might not be the best example of poor man's tendulkar but he reminds me of him a lot for some reason.

Sachin shares many similar traits of Babar. Zero charm. Playing for personal milestones. Babar might not be the best example of poor man's tendulkar but he reminds me of him a lot for some reason.
Mark waugh was the same, he scored 3 centuries at a snails pace in 1996 for his own personal milestones, but it was excusable as gilchrist went Berserk at the other end so mark could casually stroll along his merry way and bat through for his world cup glory.

But Mark is obviously 100× the player babar will ever be, and Sachin is superior to even 1996 Mark waugh.

Babar doesn't come in the same league as Mark waugh since scoring 3 centuries in world cup matches and being considered one of most dangerous openers during the classic Australia era alongside Gilchrist and pointing at no 3 in 1996 is something babar could never ever achieve of doing.

Against top quality sides babar is good for just hanging in their and getting 50's at best whereas Sachin has faced bowlers and spinners that would casually dismiss babar any day, and scored centuries against them.

Another thing people don't understand is that Sachin fulfilled his job, he had an all star team with him that accommodated and played freely around him so he had no need to adjust his playstyle (although I agree many times indianlost cause of his selfishness), however babar does this 99% of the time knowing full well he's surrounding by Wallmart versions of himself like rizwan, Abdullah, imam etc who are inferior to him.

My 15 would be

Saim
Rizwan
Babar
Fakhar Zaman
Azam Khan
Iftikhar
Shadab
Jamal
Shaheen
Naseem
Abrar

Wasim Jnr
Jandad Khan
Usman Tariq/Mir
Farhaan
Agha Salman

I personally didn’t like the comments he made. No player should be bigger than the team, even if he is Babar Azam.

However Babar at No.3 isn’t a bad move considering you would strengthen the top/middle order with Babar.

Babar again showing is pathetic attitude
Drop this minnow basher. Ask him what has he achieved in 2 WCs opening?

Why do our players have such inflated egos?

Why can't they ever put themselves aside and think of Pakistan first? Isn't that what they're actually representing in the first place.

It's about time such statements are quashed straight away and players spoken to properly about that It's the team that needs it not themselves so whatever will be required will be done. It's far too long that players have been let to do whatever they like/want.

Babar again showing is pathetic attitude
Drop this minnow basher. Ask him what has he achieved in 2 WCs opening?
He’s saying this on the back of scores for Peshawar Zalmi in the PSL…as if that’s the equivalent of playing in the IPL or something

What wrong did he say?

Every player has the right to have a personal opinion but ultimately, you have to do what your captain and coach ask you to do, even if you are the biggest star player in the country.

Babar is the king of Pakistan cricket but he did what he was asked to do even if he didn’t agree with it.

This says a lot about his character and behavior and showcases him in good light. There is no reason for people to have an issue with him voicing his personal opinion. I thought it was rather honest and refreshing.

When you’re the best batsman in the team and expected to do most of the performance, usually you get your preferred position. It’s understandable Babar would think like this, after yet again he’s the best player and best opener in PSL. Why exactly should players worse than him have the right to open over him?

Babar will stop talking like this (as will Rizwan too), if someone comes out and actually outperforms them at international t20 level. As soon as that happens, you’ll see them simmer down.

When you’re the best batsman in the team and expected to do most of the performance, usually you get your preferred position. It’s understandable Babar would think like this, after yet again he’s the best player and best opener in PSL. Why exactly should players worse than him have the right to open over him?

Babar will stop talking like this (as will Rizwan too), if someone comes out and actually outperforms them at international t20 level. As soon as that happens, you’ll see them simmer down.
That’s not going to happen when you are going to give those players 3 games and then replace them with Haseebullah to open is it?

That’s not going to happen when you are going to give those players 3 games and then replace them with Haseebullah to open is it?

These 2 always want to open and play at their own pace and then fans complain about other batsmen not being good enough.

They are expected to lay foundations at 6-7 an over while chasing 200 while middle and lower order is asked to chase at 13-14 per over.

Dont know how they will ever be asked to get out of their comfort zone with such insane levels of entitlement.

I absolutely abhor Babar Azam, he is extremely selfish, has a very unlikeable personality, zero charm and has no ability to win matches for Pakistan. He is a poor man’s Sachin Tendulkar. Same for Rizwan. I dont see us doing well in the upcoming WC if these two keep their claws in pakistan cricket.

When it comes to their mentality, Babar and Rizwan are fine examples of Misbah products. What all three of them have in common is that they have always put themselves ahead of the best interests of the team.

It’s only been in the last year or so when it became common knowledge that Babar and Rizwan were stat padding and playing for their milestones.

But what most people forget is that this precedent was set by Misbah when he decided to play for his half century in Mohali when the run rate was mounting up. Only in Pakistan cricket, do we reward stat padding with captaincy appointments. Anywhere else, this would have been his last white ball innings in international cricket.

I forewarned everyone how Misbah’s appointment as Head Coach was going turn out for Pakistan cricket and I was proven right. He was the one who came up with the Babar and Rizwan opening combination and enabled them to parade under the guise of “accumulators”.

T20I cricket in recent years has moved on from the role of accumulators. If we cast our minds back to the 2022 WT20, Steve Smith wasn’t a regular in the Australia team nor was Joe Root for England.

Pakistan are an inferior team to Sri Lanka in T20Is, however what I rate about SL is at least they try to play a positive brand of cricket not just to win matches but also to continue developing their skills, so they can become more competitive against the top sides. If you watch how they bat you don’t see much of this defensive and selfishness, which is exhibited by the likes of Babar and Rizwan. You’re never going to win a white ball international tournament with that kind of mindset and this was there for everyone to see when Pakistan were humiliated by Sri Lanka during the 2022 Asia Cup Final.

Since then there have plenty of wake up calls regarding this duo which the PCB have still failed take heed to. These include:
  • Their showing in the 2022 WT20
  • Wasim Akram calling out Babar for being selfish
  • Simon Doull also calling out Babar for being selfish
  • Imad Wasim exposing Babar’s selfishness and inept leadership skills
  • Babar’s poor batting during the 2023 World Cup
  • Rizwan’s involvement in Saya Corp
  • Rizwan’s acting and other PR stunts during the 2023 World Cup

When it comes to their mentality, Babar and Rizwan are fine examples of Misbah products. What all three of them have in common is that they have always put themselves ahead of the best interests of the team.

It’s only been in the last year or so when it became common knowledge that Babar and Rizwan were stat padding and playing for their milestones.

But what most people forget is that this precedent was set by Misbah when he decided to play for his half century in Mohali when the run rate was mounting up. Only in Pakistan cricket, do we reward stat padding with captaincy appointments. Anywhere else, this would have been his last white ball innings in international cricket.

I forewarned everyone how Misbah’s appointment as Head Coach was going turn out for Pakistan cricket and I was proven right. He was the one who came up with the Babar and Rizwan opening combination and enabled them to parade under the guise of “accumulators”.

T20I cricket in recent years has moved on from the role of accumulators. If we cast our minds back to the 2022 WT20, Steve Smith wasn’t a regular in the Australia team nor was Joe Root for England.

Pakistan are an inferior team to Sri Lanka in T20Is, however what I rate about SL is at least they try to play a positive brand of cricket not just to win matches but also to continue developing their skills, so they can become more competitive against the top sides. If you watch how they bat you don’t see much of this defensive and selfishness, which is exhibited by the likes of Babar and Rizwan. You’re never going to win a white ball international tournament with that kind of mindset and this was there for everyone to see when Pakistan were humiliated by Sri Lanka during the 2022 Asia Cup Final.

Since then there have plenty of wake up calls regarding this duo which the PCB have still failed take heed to. These include:
  • Their showing in the 2022 WT20
  • Wasim Akram calling out Babar for being selfish
  • Simon Doull also calling out Babar for being selfish
  • Imad Wasim exposing Babar’s selfishness and inept leadership skills
  • Babar’s poor batting during the 2023 World Cup
  • Rizwan’s involvement in Saya Corp
  • Rizwan’s acting and other PR stunts during the 2023 World Cup
Tbf, they both stat pad for different reasons.

Babar stat pads because he wants milestones, and opening in t20 is the easiest place to get that, furthermore opening in t20 is the only slot where you can take some time (even though you shouldn't as captilising in the powerplay is more important)

Rizwan stat pads cause he's genuinely useless anywhere else in the order besides opening

This. Honestly if we have Babar and Rizwan in the team the other 9 don't matter as much. We can replace Shadab with Imad or Wasim with Faheem or asif Ali with Haider Ali etc and it would still be RizBar carrying the team.

Until we have better options, these 2 are the first names in any of our XIs

Kuch ahsaan kya hai team par? Sehwag was a middle order batsman before he made his debut in international cricket, yet he played as an opener almost his entire international career because his team wanted him to.

Kuch ahsaan kya hai team par? Sehwag was a middle order batsman before he made his debut in international cricket, yet he played as an opener almost his entire international career because his team wanted him to.
John Wright insisted both Ganguly and Sachin. He argued one opener is sehwag and they can decide amongst themselves about the second.So ganguly agred to move down after a long discussion with sachin as per Wright's book.

Team should do whatever it's best for the team not for the individuals

What's the difference here. Our core group of guys also want him to open

John Wright insisted both Ganguly and Sachin. He argued one opener is sehwag and they can decide amongst themselves about the second.So ganguly agred to move down after a long discussion with sachin as per Wright's book.
Wrong! Sachin was moved down the order at #4 in 2002. It was after intense criticism of Ganguly's poor form and India's disastrous tour of New Zealand that Sachin was asked to open in the 2003 WC. Even then, Ganguly demoted Sehwag down the order, and instead opened the innings with Sachin in the first couple of matches in the 2003 WC. It was after India's second match against Australia in the 2003 WC that Ganguly had to move at #3, asking Sehwag to open with Sachin, and that was because he had to face red hot criticism because of his poor form.

Wrong! Sachin was moved down the order at #4 in 2002. It was after intense criticism of Ganguly's poor form and India's disastrous tour of New Zealand that Sachin was asked to open in the 2003 WC. Even then, Ganguly demoted Sehwag down the order, and instead opened the innings with Sachin in the first couple of matches in the 2003 WC. It was after India's second match against Australia in the 2003 WC that Ganguly had to move at #3, asking Sehwag to open with Sachin, and that was because he had to face red hot criticism because of his poor form.
I forgot exactly when it happened but I remember it happened outside south African balcony. So you may be right but it did happened before the change as per Wright.

They are expected to lay foundations at 6-7 an over while chasing 200 while middle and lower order is asked to chase at 13-14 pe
They have chased 200 plus targets together, How many times have we seen that?

They have chased 200 plus targets together, How many times have we seen that?

You know the answer to this.

Why do people repeatedly congratulate them on chasing 200 when they know the conditions on which 200 was achieved?

You know the answer to this.

Why do people repeatedly congratulate them on chasing 200 when they know the conditions on which 200 was achieved?
When we talk about the condition, look at the performances of other players as well. They failed in those conditions as well while babar excelled. Now people will bring WC performances but we cannot multiply the whole achievement of Babar with zero just because he under-performed in WCs

Well yes, they should have given Saim a longer time. That isn’t Babar or Rizwan’s fault management made that call. Babar isn’t even captain anymore.

It is more of a result that there hasn’t been an opening pair in history of Pakistan in t20s that had been even average since Babar-Rizwan came. Babar has spent time playing at 3, seeing opening pair fail in front of him. Pakistan have had a decade to come up with openers who actually score runs before Babar and Rizwan emerged.

Saim should be given longer. If he’s failed and dropped out of the squad, I won’t really be surprised if Babar argues he wants his opening spot back.

What wrong did he say?

Every player has the right to have a personal opinion but ultimately, you have to do what your captain and coach ask you to do, even if you are the biggest star player in the country.

Babar is the king of Pakistan cricket but he did what he was asked to do even if he didn’t agree with it.

This says a lot about his character and behavior and showcases him in good light. There is no reason for people to have an issue with him voicing his personal opinion. I thought it was rather honest and refreshing.
He is no king, such affairs are discussed behind close doors and not in front of the public.

Back