[VIDEOS] Was Matthew Wade guilty of obstructing the field?

Not every decision is given out on appeal.
For example, if a player is bowled he's out.

I say this because I think it's time the umpires take these sorts of things out of the players hands and review the decision without the filers having to appeal.
This takes away the "sportsmanship behaviour" out of it and if it's out then it's out.
No ambiguity

You want to seriously remove the appeal from cricket?

How do umpires know which decisions to review? Or do we wait to review every ball?

How is there "a decision" without a question being put?

You want to seriously remove the appeal from cricket?

How do umpires know which decisions to review? Or do we wait to review every ball?

How is there "a decision" without a question being put?

Ok so you need to take a deep breath.

In instances like these...
I.e no wicket was broken, no catch was taken, no run out was affected...
Where there is obstruction....

I'm sure you understand now

Wade does not know where the ball is, that is obvious. If you look at Wades' hand it is held up in a stop sign to the batsman at the other end not to run as Wade is trying to get back in his crease and is not going for the run.

Just try to watch the video and look at where Wade is looking and what his hand is doing. It is quite clear from the umpire at the batsman's end that Wade did not know where the ball or where Wood was.

ive watched it, watch the second video at the 2nd video at 2 seconds in you can see wade look at wood and extend his arm even more at wood. he was also around 1 foot outside his crease, yes he didnt know where the ball was - however everyone knows when your in that position all you need to do is move your batting arm forward -into the crease- not what wade did - he clearly looked at wood and extended into wood

I am still vexed with Buttler, the goodie goodie two shoes Captain.

Got to be ruthless, every wicket counts.

Plenty of ex aussie players and captains of the past wouldve pressed the umpire into giving it out

Ricky ponting and half his team of the 2000s wouldve been after the umpire and the batter

Don't forget Inzamam who obstructed the field, another cheat.

Don’t think that’s fair. Watch the videos. Both times ball was thrown at him. First time he played it back and was given out. Second incident he shouldn’t have been given out as he jumped to move out the way and was given out

He made a big statement after mankading incident that he won't appeal even in world cup final. If he appeals for this he will be mocked. It is a catch-22 situation for him forgetting the fact that batsman instinctively shoved the fielder aside.

It was clear obstruction and would have been given out if there was an appeal. No team can claim to be a saint but Aussies have a reputation to not only do it but do it deliberately and then defend it blatantly using their fans/media and past players. Everyone is in it. Anyone remembers 'brainfade' Smith who was finally caught with sandpaper which unfortunately couldn't be defended as the evidence was overwhelming, even though they tried initially. Brainfade was duly defended though. Still can't get over the defense of Brad Haddin's blatant cheating when he dislodged the bails with his gloves in front of stumps while collection a regular delivery and claimed the wicket (successfully) and then arrogantly defended it afterwards. That said, for Pakistan, apart from the Amir trio, Afridi's acts of deliberate ball biting and pitch dance would forever be a blot that wouldn't have been possible without the support of the team but at least the fans didn't support those acts.

He made a big statement after mankading incident that he won't appeal even in world cup final. If he appeals for this he will be mocked. It is a catch-22 situation for him forgetting the fact that batsman instinctively shoved the fielder aside.

It was only an issue when forever whining Brits were at the receiving end but now having a made a massive noise about the made-up spirit they can't appeal for such things. Which equals, you guessed it, more whining.

Mankading is perfectly fine and is considered 'run out' now. Non striker is not innocent while trying to take an unfair advantage and invoking a moral code is non sense in this case. It's not difficult to stay within your crease before the ball is delivered, you don't accidently jump out of your crease and it's perfectly within your control as a batsman. England will see more of this as the game normalizes this and having taken a stupid stand and made massive noise they can't do it themselves. Let's see how long this continues before the self appointed defenders of moral code fall from their high horses.

It was only an issue when forever whining Brits were at the receiving end but now having a made a massive noise about the made-up spirit they can't appeal for such things. Which equals, you guessed it, more whining.

Mankading is perfectly fine and is considered 'run out' now. Non striker is not innocent while trying to take an unfair advantage and invoking a moral code is non sense in this case. It's not difficult to stay within your crease before the ball is delivered, you don't accidently jump out of your crease and it's perfectly within your control as a batsman. England will see more of this as the game normalizes this and having taken a stupid stand and made massive noise they can't do it themselves. Let's see how long this continues before the self appointed defenders of moral code fall from their high horses.

They are setting the "standards" for others. I just hope Australia continues doing this and let us see how long Buttler can sustain this.

Ok so you need to take a deep breath.

In instances like these...
I.e no wicket was broken, no catch was taken, no run out was affected...
Where there is obstruction....

I'm sure you understand now

There actually needs to be a clear direction for when and which incidents umpires are to re-look at. if you just say "oh when something happens" , there needs to be a specific rule or direction.

So this is the only circumstance you want to remove the appeal from cricket? Again, just for obstructing the field? Or for run outs? Mankads?

Seems silly to have a fundamental rule change for just one form of dismissal.

It was clearly OUT, but Buttler refused to appeal. This is what we call Spirit of the Game, imagine if it was India instead of England :)))

It isn't often that fans come across ‘obstructing the field' incidents in cricket. However, in a game between Australia and England recently, wicket-keeper batter Matthew Wade seemed to have prevented Mark Wood from catching the ball. England didn't appeal against the incident though skipper Jos Buttler stressed that he would not hesitate in appealing the next time. Wade, who turned a blind eye towards the incident, has now admitted that what he did ‘looked horrible'. "That looked horrible when I saw it after the game," Wade told cricket.com.au's The Unplayable Podcast. "It was one of those things that just happened so fast.

"I think Kane Richardson said to me when I got off the ground, 'You pushed him, basically'. I was like, 'No, I didn't'. And then I saw the replay and I was like, 'Well, yeah, I did',” he explained.

Wade further said that for the most part of that incident, he wasn't aware of where the ball was, and even if it had hit his bat.

"(Wood bowling at) 150 (kph), decent crowd – at first I didn't know if I hit it. It hit me in the head hard, it rung my bell a little bit, (I) went to run down the wicket, Davey (Warner) sent me back, I turned and saw point running in.

"Then I wasn't sure if I was going to get run out or where the actual ball was. It all just happened literally like that. And then next minute, I was on the ground, looked up and the ball was like coming down. So yeah, it didn't look great," Wade made an honest admission.

The veteran wicket-keeper batter maintains that he hadn't consciously attempted to prevent Wood from catching the ball. Wade even said that he would've walked off the field had England appealed for his dismissal.

"If I had a conscious thought of doing it, then I'd be regrettable for doing it," he continued.

"But at the time, there's just so much happening and getting hit in the head with the bloke bowing 150ks at you – things go in fast forward.

"Now looking back on it, I can see like all these things happened. It was chaos out there. If they had appealed and I saw it on the replay, so be it, I would have walked off the ground, there's not much I could do about it," he concluded.

NDTV

Wade upto his antics again

==

The Big Bash League game between Hobart Hurricanes and Perth Scorchers saw a mild controversy when the latter's star batter Faf du Plessis expressed his displeasure at Matthew Wade, the Hurricanes' wicketkeeper. Faf was castled off Patrick Gabriel Dooley in the fifth over of the match; however, even as the ball hadn't yet hit the stumps and was mid-way through the pitch, Wade, who was standing behind the wickets, yelled ‘bowled’.

Faf was seemingly distracted by the premature call and furiously gestured at the wicketkeeper before walking off. The former South Africa captain had been playing a sublime knock until then, scoring 32 off just 15 deliveries in the 173-run chase

It is illegal to distract a batter during a delivery and there were some suggestions that the ball could be declared dead. However, Faf was eventually adjudged out. Following the end of the game, though, Wade issued an apology to the South African star.

“I think (du Plessis) was disappointed,” said Wade after the game.

“I called 'bowled' maybe a little bit early. I don't know how early it was, but I think that's why he was annoyed ... apologies Faf,” the Australian wicketkeeper further said.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/2c84ud" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...alia-star-issues-apology-101671601657083.html

He should be fined or censured to prevent a repeat of this. If you allow this, he’ll continue to take advantage like he’s doing now.

Wade and the English crowd will have some fun with each other if he brings these sorts of charades with him on next year’s tour.

Wade and the English crowd will have some fun with each other if he brings these sorts of charades with him on next year’s tour.

Just saw this. Yeah, the problem was that he stuck his left arm out to block Wood. That’s out IMO.

An absolutely disgusting cricketer and brings shame to the game big time.

I never support any playing XI which has Wade in it.

Back