[VIDEOS] Worst umpiring decisions you've seen

Eh? i have never heard of this, when how was this? Sakoor Rana was world famous for his biasedness, never heard anything like this with an Indian umpire

maybe you didn't see any tests or ODIs during the 80s and 90s.

This one didn't matter since he got out minutes later but Nasir Jamshed's 1st dismissal against India in 2013 champions trophy.

[utube]kxi3DiRSCYs[/utube]
This was just sad. Wonder what happened to him.

Let's just sit back and think about some of the "howlers" that umpires have been responsible for over the years.

It's always good for a laugh.

These howlers should be attributed as "wickets" to the responsible entity. Let's see who the leading wicket-taker ends up being. I'm guessing Bucknor and Koertzen might be front-runners here, but some members of PP who have witnessed the older days before neutral umpiring might come up with some gems as well.

-Only because it's recent, that Salman Butt LBW dismissal by Asoke De Silva has got to be up there just in terms of the "How?!?!?!" factor.

-I remember Sachin being dismissed LBW off his shoulders from Mcgrath, but forget who the umpire was at the time. (It may have gone on to hit the stumps, but it was just wierd seeing someone get LBW off his shoulder).

-Also - the Rudi Koertzen decision against Kumar Sangakarra's lone-man show in Hobart that stifled his heroic fight-back has got to be up there.

-Not too sure who it was (Parker?) in Hobart, who didn't give the Langer nick.

So far, we have:
- Asoka De Silva - 1 wicket
- Rudi - 1 wicket
- Parker(?) - 1 wicket
- Unknown (vs Sachin) - 1 wicket
- Billy Doctrove - 1 wicket
- Steve Bucknor - 2 wickets (Sydney test)

(I'll update the list progressively throughout the thread on this first post if you want to keep track).

There are too many bad decisions, But some howlers literally cost Landmark test series and even world cup. Like Pakistan was favorite to win the world cup in 1987. And I think it was david Shepard who gave Imran Khan out at crucial moment that lead to Semi final loss and eventual Australian World Cup victory. Another was the wrong run out of Imran Khan in 1992 world cup where slow motion showed Imran Khan getting in his crease but still given run out against India, which lead to the start of India's perfect run against Pakistan in World cup. Biased umpiring in Barbados by West indian Umpires otherwise the Windies perfect run would have ended by Pakistan in 1989 etc

kenny Palmer v Pakistan Headingley 1992
Many decisions v Pakistan headingley 2006
Peter Parker v Pakistan Hobart 2000
Stewart v Pakistan wc final 92
Hussain lbw v Wasim Pindi 2000

Have you seen a worse umpiring decision that this, considering the umpire was Steve Bucknor?

Strange!!!!!!

Ah, this was the test where Dravid scored a ton to win us the game.

Eden Gardens.

Bucknor was a good umpire when he was younger but just lost it at the end and stayed on way too long.

Hardly the only umpire to ever make mistakes though.

Its not that bad tbh

Similar to Afridi t20 dismissal where Amir Sohail went crazy

I think I have seen one, it was Haq's runout in WC 92 game against Australia, if you can find the video you will know what I am talking about.

Bucknor had some serious hate for Tendulkar. I remember some 4 or 5 occasions in Tendulkar's career where I thought how the heck it was out. But Bucknor gave it out.

India's past tours to Aus always were marred with bias umpiring. Umpire Benson asking Ponting if it was out was a joke. I am talking about one of the videos that Hitman posted.

Bucknor had some serious hate for Tendulkar. I remember some 4 or 5 occasions in Tendulkar's career where I thought how the heck it was out. But Bucknor gave it out.

India's past tours to Aus always were marred with bias umpiring. Umpire Benson asking Ponting if it was out was a joke. I am talking about one of the videos that Hitman posted.

And Australia's tours of India were just as bad.

Indians phir ro rahe hain :inzi

I find it cute Indians think they were shafted in Australia due to umpiring decisions and their teams would have won test series' there :asif

I will give 2 nominations here:

First, the very worst caught behind decision ever. Filntoff missed the ball by almost a foot.

Second, the worst decision ever for a close in field catch. Ball bounces twice before Moin Khan catches it.

I find it cute Indians think they were shafted in Australia due to umpiring decisions and their teams would have won test series' there :asif

Someone whose team got whitewashed in their last 3 test series in Aus obviously won't understand the impact of bucknor's decisions in Sydney test.

And if my post is removed , it will prove that....you know what.

Last edited:
Someone whose team got whitewashed in their last 3 test series in Aus obviously won't understand the impact of bucknor's decisions in Sydney test.

And if my post is removed , it will prove that....you know what.
:))

that was easy. Where did Pak come into an equation in a discussion where we are talking abt the fact that India would not have won those series either way. Insecure much? Maybe need some burnol it seems.

Dont get so riled up and live in the real world. But yea still very cute on the indian fans' part who think that

Last edited:
:))

that was easy. Where did Pak come into an equation in a discussion where we are talking abt the fact that India would not have won those series either way.

Dont get so riled up and live in the real . But yea still very cute on the indian fans' part who think that

Nah, everyone who watched that series knows we had a chance. It would've been a very close series without a doubt.

Nah, everyone who watched that series knows we had a chance. It would've been a very close series without a doubt.

it might have been a drawn series at best

and that was one tour anyway some posters above are making it seem like India would have been whitewashing Aus in Aus if not for umpires :)))

Last edited:
To the OP I nominate the Kamran Akmal one I think against SL where he French cut it for four and was given LBW. That's my favourite.

Aleem dar in ashes when broad edged it to slips and was given not out.

That Sydney Test could still may well have been drawn despite of so many umpiring blunders.

I remember watching that, thought, that this will be drawn so I left my TV. Just after that, Clarke was brought into the attack and he ran through the tail. I still regret missing that :abdv

it might have been a drawn series at best

and that was one tour anyway some posters above are making it seem like India would have been whitewashing Aus in Aus if not for umpires :)))

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Let me explain it to you. It was a 4 test series.First test was played at Melbourne which Aus won fair and square. Second test was the infamous Sydney test. Third test was played at Perth which we won. Fourth test was played at Adelaide which was drawn.

Now if bucknor had not given so many wrong decisions India would have surely won the match and the final scoreline of the series would have been 2-1 in our favour.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Let me explain it to you. It was a 4 test series.First test was played at Melbourne which Aus won fair and square. Second test was the infamous Sydney test. Third test was played at Perth which we won. Fourth test was played at Adelaide which was drawn.

Now if bucknor had not given so many wrong decisions India would have surely won the match and the final scoreline of the series would have been 2-1 in our favour.

Ummm, no. There was hardly any guarantee. We would've drawn for sure, and the series win would have been very possible, but it was no certainty at all.

20-30% of all umpiring decisions during the era of home umpires were blatantly biased. Every match had tonnes of umpiring errors, most of which were deliberate. Most of the videos posted here would pale in comparison. Pakistan and WI were particularly bad during the era of home umpires. The allegations assumed such dimensions that Imran Khan was forced to go for neutral umpires to bring some sanity in umpiring standards.

20-30% of all umpiring decisions during the era of home umpires were blatantly biased. Every match had tonnes of umpiring errors, most of which were deliberate. Most of the videos posted here would pale in comparison. Pakistan and WI were particularly bad during the era of home umpires. The allegations assumed such dimensions that Imran Khan was forced to go for neutral umpires to bring some sanity in umpiring standards.

Thats because Pakistan suffered in England, India and West Indies within the space of 15 months. Could have won all three series but they ended up with one win and two draws. It was tough to maintain the on-field discipline for Imran in the heat of the game after those poor decisions from umpires.

And then Pakistan was the first team who started using neutral umpires in home matches in early 90's on Imran's initiative to set an example for the rest of the world to follow.

England and Australia, do have some quality umpires but all countries were notorious for this (including Eng and Aus too but to somewhat lesser extent). So we Pakistan and India. Umpires don't dare to give star home players out in those countries particularly Miandad and Gavasker. Both have as low as 10% lbw percentage in home tests.

Nothing can possibly beat the Sydney Test of 2008 with all umpires conspiring with honest to god Aussie players to beat India. I swear I had wished the worst pain for all concerned ��.
It's one thing when you get one or two random decisions against you, but when it is seemingly an organized conspiracy, you really get ****** off. Too painful for a while. I am well over it now, though!

Can't agree with you more.

Anil Kumble who is usually not vocal, was the captain that time and he beautifully slapped the aussies in the presentation ceremony stating 'only one team played with the spirit of the game'. Although we lost the test but believe me, he won million hearts back in India.

We talk about arrogance of BCCI n indian players these days but aussie attitude back then was just abhorrent. They wanted to win at all costs and if they felt a team was doing better, then that was not acceptable to them. People like Ponting & Clarke were simply awful in that test. Wonder how experts call them as Greats.

Aleem Dar- Broad edging it to slip Ashes 2013. Chris Rogers lbw off Swann at lords cant remember the umpire

Anil Kumble who is usually not vocal, was the captain that time and he beautifully slapped the aussies in the presentation ceremony stating 'only one team played with the spirit of the game'. Although we lost the test but believe me, he won million hearts back in India.

We talk about arrogance of BCCI n indian players these days but aussie attitude back then was just abhorrent. They wanted to win at all costs and if they felt a team was doing better, then that was not acceptable to them. People like Ponting & Clarke were simply awful in that test. Wonder how experts call them as Greats.

Indians have always whinged, every time they lose a match they always complain about the umpiring, they have never been good sports and you only have to look at the umpires they produced to see that. That is the great thing about the Aussies they play hard and fair and when the match is over they will accept they were beaten by a better team, India always complain about the umpiring and have never been gracious in defeat, Kumble proved what a sook he was and we got a good laugh out of it.

Indians have always whinged, every time they lose a match they always complain about the umpiring, they have never been good sports and you only have to look at the umpires they produced to see that. That is the great thing about the Aussies they play hard and fair and when the match is over they will accept they were beaten by a better team, India always complain about the umpiring and have never been gracious in defeat, Kumble proved what a sook he was and we got a good laugh out of it.

I'm not too sure about that. Aussies play to win at all costs.

What did they do that was so bad? Appeal for wickets? Wow, like that's a capital crime.

Indian fans seem to forget that Steve Bucknor was the umpire and it was through his poor decisions that India were disadvantaged. Australia by no means "cheated". They just appealed for everything, and Mr. Bucknor was eager to oblige. And don't tell me that Ponting, Clarke etc. knew that they were wrongfully appealing. You don't think about such things when you're trying to win a test match. If it looks like it could be out then you ask the umpire, and if he gives it out, then tough luck for the batsman.

What did they do that was so bad? Appeal for wickets? Wow, like that's a capital crime.

Indian fans seem to forget that Steve Bucknor was the umpire and it was through his poor decisions that India were disadvantaged. Australia by no means "cheated". They just appealed for everything, and Mr. Bucknor was eager to oblige. And don't tell me that Ponting, Clarke etc. knew that they were wrongfully appealing. You don't think about such things when you're trying to win a test match. If it looks like it could be out then you ask the umpire, and if he gives it out, then tough luck for the batsman.

Dude .. I am sure you didn't see the match. Try getting a footage of all five days and then argue

Dude .. I am sure you didn't see the match. Try getting a footage of all five days and then argue

I did actually. In fact, I was in India visiting family during that match. I remember one of those 24hr news channels going crazy about it, I think it was Times Now. They kept showing a loop of Brad Hogg not walking until the umpire's finger went up, and then scowing at the umpire, in a caught and bowled; then showing a clip of Hogg bowling and picking up a wicket caught behind where (Dravid, I think) didn't edge the ball. Lol. Times Now phir ro rahey hain.

India fans conveniently forget how awful Bucknor was throughout the whole match. He gave wrong decisions on both sides. He was simply past it at that stage of his umpiring career. Maybe he had an issue against the Indian team, as well. But it is a far stretch from Steve Bucknor being a poor umpire, and accusing Australia of cheating.

Last edited:
Australia certainly showed poor behaviour during that match. That, I will not disagree with. Ponting's Australia side was extremely unpleasant in that regard. However, that is not the same as cheating. The relationships between the teams was on edge due to the Harbhajan - Symonds incident, which might explain why Australia behaved particularly badly.

Contextually the two sides had also played a heated ODI series the year before in India. Symonds had a brilliant series but was taunted by some Indian crowds and also had a run-in with Sreesanth. So there was a lot of bad blood between the two teams running into the Sydney test. This was in the days before the IPL, as well, so there were few good relationships between players on both sides.

If you attribute it to bad umpiring then I am sure you would also agree that bad decisions are often persuaded by intense appealing that may or may not be honest. It clearly wasn't the case with Aussies in that match.

Can any umpiring decision be worse than this? Well done, Aleem Dar!!!

Not really, just laughing at the incompetence of Aleem Dar.

When was the last time India had an umpire in the elite panel?

I can't remember, can you please help jog my memory.. I'm sure such a big cricket crazy country must produce elite umpires by the dozens.. no?

Let it go. You must still be having nightmares over the Montreal screwjob, eh?

Shawn Michaels is my personal favorite wrestler followed by Bret Hart. I've got nothing to be bitter about the 'Screwjob'.

When was the last time India had an umpire in the elite panel?

I can't remember, can you please help jog my memory.. I'm sure such a big cricket crazy country must produce elite umpires by the dozens.. no?

Is that a way to counter the hilarious mistake Aleem Dar made in the video I posted?

Shawn Michaels is my personal favorite wrestler followed by Bret Hart. I've got nothing to be bitter about the 'Screwjob'.

Don't you have anything better to do than hating on stupid cricketing things like these? Let it go it's in the past. It's not like your Indian umpires are perfect.

Don't you have anything better to do than hating on stupid cricketing things like these? Let it go it's in the past. It's not like your Indian umpires are perfect.

Not hating, rather laughing my behind off. How can an umpire of International standard make such a hilarious error.

Not hating, rather laughing my behind off. How can an umpire of International standard make such a hilarious error.

and how can such an umpire of international standard won ICC umpire of the year 3 times in a row?

I too sometimes search things from 1834 and laugh my behind off..

and how can such an umpire of international standard won ICC umpire of the year 3 times in a row?

The video I have posted is there for everyone to see, and laugh their rear end off. It's not an opinion, but rather a solid video fact to watch and laugh at.

If he had given it out, we would have been able to see Sachin's funny reaction and therefore we should be happy with Aleem Dar's decision.

I too sometimes search things from 1834 and laugh my behind off..

Errrrr .... the video I posted happened less than 10 years from now. What's more hilarious is that most of us PP'ers could have made the correct decision :)))

Errrrr .... the video I posted happened less than 10 years from now. What's more hilarious is that most of us PP'ers could have made the correct decision :)))

That is why you are typing away on your keyboard while Aleem wins award after award for best umpire..

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why you are typing away on your keyboard while Aleem wins award after award for best umpire..

:)))

I beg your pardon, I never gave an opinion. I posted a video which gives everyone an idea of the abilities of that joker Aleem Dar :))

Last edited by a moderator:
The video I have posted is there for everyone to see, and laugh their rear end off. It's not an opinion, but rather a solid video fact to watch and laugh at.

and to declare him joker too? Sachin got out on Duck, so we can call him JOKER or Mediocre player?

Still he's better than Shakoor Rana, the one who used to forget the rules of LBW when 'Dhaved Miandha' used to bat. One just needs to read Steve Waugh and Allan Border's autobiographies to get a clear picture of how Mr. Dhaved Miandha managed an average of more than 50 in Test cricket :))

Had anyone wondered why he never gets rated alongside his contemporaries like Viv, Sunny, Chappell and Border despite averaging more than 50? Any doubts? Lemme clear those doubts -

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...ends-of-Cricket-Top-25-Cricketers-Of-All-Time

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Worst umpiring series in history here. Hard to believe when you look back. <a href="https://t.co/TGXQ9RHLsB">https://t.co/TGXQ9RHLsB</a></p>— Damien Martyn&#55356;&#57295; (@damienmartyn) <a href="https://twitter.com/damienmartyn/status/1247267777796141056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It’s quite clear the likes of ponting Clarke Martyn warne didn’t rate dar one bit.. it came to ponting launching a fierce verbal attack on Dar in mcg.

Dar was at his peak between 2004/2011 past his sell by date now.

Lol Harbhajan once took a hatrkck against Australia in India and 2 of the 3 wickets weren’t out :))

Back