Wahab Riaz appointed as Chief Selector for Pakistan

I agree to some extent, but I still don't think he should be allowed to have an official role.

Allowing him to commentate is one thing, but to allow him to have a say in how affairs are run is too much in my opinion.

Don't see any problem, the guy covers our domestic cricket and knows the players in the system inside out. He also has a very good cricketing brain, he prefers players to play proper 4 day cricket and is against players who focus primarily on T20 Cricket.

Hafeez did a lot of drama during his playing career. He would blow his own trumpet and sing songs of his integrity and honesty although that honesty was nowhere to be found when he kept chucking all the time.

He was also very vocal against fixers and claimed they didn’t deserve a second chance, but now that he is earning millions of bucks in a high profile executive position, he has no problem collaborating with fixers.

Tbh this reflects favourably on Hafeez. It shows he is going to put aside his personal freehold, opinions and not allow them to come in the way of his official professional duties and what is in the best interest of Pakistan Cricket. Ramiz in comparison allowed his personal whims fancies to get in the way when he became PCB chairman

Hafeez did a lot of drama during his playing career. He would blow his own trumpet and sing songs of his integrity and honesty although that honesty was nowhere to be found when he kept chucking all the time.

He was also very vocal against fixers and claimed they didn’t deserve a second chance, but now that he is earning millions of bucks in a high profile executive position, he has no problem collaborating with fixers.
This I wholeheartedly agree with.

It's brazen hypocrisy from Hafeez. He made a big drama in late 2015 about Mohammad Amir's comeback. However he's content to have the ringleader and captain at the time of the spot-fixing scandal, Salman Butt, as a selector.

Pakistan has no shortage of candidates for such a role. Hafeez typifies the selective morality that Pakistanis have turned into an artform in all areas of society.

Tbh this reflects favourably on Hafeez. It shows he is going to put aside his personal freehold, opinions and not allow them to come in the way of his official professional duties and what is in the best interest of Pakistan Cricket. Ramiz in comparison allowed his personal whims fancies to get in the way when he became PCB chairman
The only thing it reflects is that Hafeez is willing to compromise his integrity for the right price and the right position.

Talk is cheap. He was not the captain when Amir was brought back and it was easy for him to make big claims when he wasn’t the one making the decisions.

It is not critical to have Salman Butt on the selection committee. There is nothing he can do that someone else with a clean record cannot. He will pick from the same pool that anyone else would.

If Hafeez truly believed what he said regarding fixers all this time, he could have pleaded with PCB not to have him on the panel and if he was truly a man of honor and he likes to project himself, he would have resigned and refused to work with Butt.

However, the Director comes with plenty of money and perks and all of that is more important than his fake morals and integrity.

PCB confirms appointment of consultant members to chief selector

Lahore, 1 December 2023: The PCB has confirmed the appointment of former Pakistan cricketers Kamran Akmal, Rao Iftikhar Anjum and Salman Butt as consultant members to chief selector Wahab Riaz.

The three have assumed their responsibilities in the selection panel with immediate effect. Their first assignment as consultant members to the chief selector includes the upcoming five-match T20I series against New Zealand, set to commence on 12 January 2024 following the conclusion of the Test tour to Australia.

When not engaged in selection duties, the consultant members may be assigned additional tasks such as conducting skills camps.

Kamran Akmal, in a 15-year career from 2002 to 2017, played 53 Tests, 157 ODIs and 58 T20Is. The former wicketkeeper-batter amassed 6,871 runs across formats and bagged 453 dismissals behind the stumps. He was a member of the Pakistan team that won the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2009 at Lord’s.

Rao Iftikhar played a Test, 62 ODIs and two T20Is from 2004 to 2010 and took a total of 78 international wickets. He was also part of the side that lifted the T20 World Cup in 2009.

Former Test captain Salman Butt represented Pakistan in 33 Tests, 78 ODIs and 24 T20Is. He made 5,209 runs spanning the three formats with 11 international centuries. He was in the T20 World Cup winning squad in 2009.

PCB​
Consultant members assist the chief selector by providing recommendations, collecting feedback and identifying top-performing talent in domestic cricket. Their role is to present this information to the chief selector and the selection committee for consideration in their decision-making process. The Consultant Members do not have any independent decision-making powers.

Don't see any problem, the guy covers our domestic cricket and knows the players in the system inside out. He also has a very good cricketing brain, he prefers players to play proper 4 day cricket and is against players who focus primarily on T20 Cricket.
You don’t see a problem with a guy who not only fixed matches but led his teammates to do it as well getting an official role where he has influence on the young cricketers coming up?

Only Pakistan would be incompetent enough to bring in Salman Butt in any sort of management role. Absolute idiotic move; while the rest of the world moves forward we keep moving back.

Isn’t Wahab Riaz’s appointment as the Chief Selector a conflict of interest? He’s still playing in the PSL with and against others who he will end up making selection decisions on. To me, that sounds like a straight conflict of interest.
Is Mohammad Hafeez also playing in PSL still?

Isn’t Wahab Riaz’s appointment as the Chief Selector a conflict of interest? He’s still playing in the PSL with and against others who he will end up making selection decisions on. To me, that sounds like a straight conflict of interest.
Is Mohammad Hafeez also playing in PSL still?
They both announced their retirements.

Could you please point me to Wahab’s retirement news from PSL? I couldn’t find it.

You don’t see a problem with a guy who not only fixed matches but led his teammates to do it as well getting an official role where he has influence on the young cricketers coming up?

You are assuming he is still engaging in fixing and spot fixing. He paid the price for his mistake 13 years ago by going to prison, his career got finished and inspite of plenty of ridicule and stigma that will be associated with him for this for the rest of his life, he is still dusting himself off the floor and making a living with the following

- Played and performed in domestic cricket from 2016 to 2019

- Led a weak Wapda team to victory in the Quaid e Azam trophy in 2016-17

- He retired from the game once he realized his career was over and he would never get selected again

- He became a commentator for the PCB

- He worked as an analyst on TV channels where he showed his cricketing acumen and brain

- He established his YouTube Channel

- He was appointed Singapore Head Coach

- He is playing a key active role at Ghani Academy

Based on the above, it's no surprise the PCB feels he can be a good selector. He has done his time for the events of 2010 and if Amir can be accepted back in the Pakistani Cricket System so can Salman Butt.

Shameful stuff from PCB , Pakistan cricket is a joke now that tainted National Bank group will make decisions, seriously puts the integrity of selection matter in hot waters.

I am in complete disbelief at these appointments. This is horrific. Salman Butt the captain who match fixed? And what does Kamran Akmal possibly have to offer Pakistani cricket in terms of consulting for team selection? He was a horrible batsmen, horrible wicket keeper, and why would we ever believe he would be good at selecting players?

You can't be "horrible" if you have scored a century against Australia in Australia

Why do our fans go overboard with their criticism? I don't get it :facepalm:

Consultant members assist the chief selector by providing recommendations, collecting feedback and identifying top-performing talent in domestic cricket. Their role is to present this information to the chief selector and the selection committee for consideration in their decision-making process. The Consultant Members do not have any independent decision-making powers.
What is this even supposed to mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are assuming he is still engaging in fixing and spot fixing. He paid the price for his mistake 13 years ago by going to prison, his career got finished and inspite of plenty of ridicule and stigma that will be associated with him for this for the rest of his life, he is still dusting himself off the floor and making a living with the following

- Played and performed in domestic cricket from 2016 to 2019

- Led a weak Wapda team to victory in the Quaid e Azam trophy in 2016-17

- He retired from the game once he realized his career was over and he would never get selected again

- He became a commentator for the PCB

- He worked as an analyst on TV channels where he showed his cricketing acumen and brain

- He established his YouTube Channel

- He was appointed Singapore Head Coach

- He is playing a key active role at Ghani Academy

Based on the above, it's no surprise the PCB feels he can be a good selector. He has done his time for the events of 2010 and if Amir can be accepted back in the Pakistani Cricket System so can Salman Butt.
All of this is available from other former players who didn’t try to do match fixing. Plenty of people “in the system” for years who know the domestic scene. I also didn’t want Amir back in the team.

Match-fixing should equal automatic death to anyone’s cricket career in any capacity. Go find another way to make a living.

Wasim Akram posted a video on X and said:

“Pakistan have reached Australia and wish the guys, especially the new ones all the best. Hafeez has come in as Director of Cricket, while Wahab Riaz is the chief selector. Kamran Akmal has also joined. They should be given one year before taking any call."

“Be brave and stick to your decisions. There will be backlash and questions but you should back your call. Also, don’t hold press conference after every three minutes. I want to throw them out after looking at some of the press conferences."

I agree with Wasim Akram. Giving Hafeez, Wahab, and Kamran a year to prove themselves makes sense. He's right about backing decisions and not overdoing press conferences, it can get a bit much.

I am not the biggest fan of Hafeez in the world - especially considering he was occupying the opening slot or no. 3 until 2017 when his skills were far more better suited for the no. 4 or 5 role..

However you cannot equate chucking with spot fixing.. Mainly because a spot fixer is accepting money to underperform and as a result putting his team at a disadvantage in that particular game. Whilst a chucker is cheating to actually help his team win the game.. not to mention no financial reward for chucking that I am aware of.

Day and night difference between the two..

A decent team selection by Wahab Riaz. Has given a chance to a number of youngsters like Abbas Afridi, Hasebullah and Sahibzada Farhan. But a great disappointment has been dropping of batter like Mohammad Haris. It would be really if our youngsters could put up a great performance there. Also it would be a sigh of relief for our chief selector too.

With a garilla type player selected in squad shows how much importance PCB gives to fitness specially in a format like t20

I don't know what mindset Wahab Riaz had while selecting the squad for NZ.

most of the selections seems unjustified.

Kamran Ghulam
Omair bin Yousuf
Danish Aziz
Israrullah
Saad Nasim

These are 2000% better middle order options than Haseebullah

On of the most deserving guys was Sahibzada Farhan and he got his call. Azam khan is also a good pick why do we need 3 WK batters in the team?

The funniest was seeing Kamran Akmal just sit there scrolling on his phone while Wahab was doing the presser. Kamran did speak for 2 minutes out of the 26 minute press conference, but it was just hilarious seeing him set there bored out of his mind.

ve6usIs.png

9/10 times bat 1st, and the 10the time think about it and still bat 1st. The worst that would have happened is that we would have lost, how did this end up

We played well we should have won if butter fingers had caught marsh , pakistan had its tail up Australia were already reeling we allowed them to post a 150 partnership which took the game away from us smith still looked suspect despite his 50.

There are other factors the 50 extras in the first innings

And bowling with aamer jamal in 2nd inns on day 4 who was wayward when mir hamza should have been bought on earlier by the captain.

But I'm happy with the performance we competed with Australia for the most part a much superior side .

Cummins was massive difference some brilliant bowling by the Australian captain.

We played well we should have won if butter fingers had caught marsh , pakistan had its tail up Australia were already reeling we allowed them to post a 150 partnership which took the game away from us smith still looked suspect despite his 50.

There are other factors the 50 extras in the first innings

And bowling with aamer jamal in 2nd inns on day 4 who was wayward when mir hamza should have been bought on earlier by the captain.

But I'm happy with the performance we competed with Australia for the most part a much superior side .

Cummins was massive difference some brilliant bowling by the Australian captain.
Yes, if. The reality is that we don't believe we can win and if you don't believe then you ain't winning. We should always look to bat 1st in every conditions because without pressure our batsman play better.

10 lashes for every wrong selection , Mr. Riaz better kick out Imam ul Haq and Saud from this team

So the dictator has announced that Azam will keep wickets in the T20s and Rizwan will play as a batter.

I guess when even section of our society has dictation so why not cricket.

To end in big tears this drama.

As per reports, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi does not fully trust Wahab Riaz, especially after the latter included tainted former Pakistan captain Salman Butt in his team of selection consultants after taking charge.

So he asked Babar to step down, now he is asking him to step up - Drama

Can someone please in lament terms explain to me what this guys role is within the team? How many managers does one team need?

What was his reason of not bringing M. Haris to America/West Indies for the T20 World cup?

Can someone please in lament terms explain to me what this guys role is within the team? How many managers does one team need?
Okay. So you need a Captain/Coach info that can look after a team. Then you need a Manager to look after them. But who'll look after the Manager? Senior Manager. Who's the Senior Manager? Wahab. But who'll look after the Senior Manager? That we don't know. But Wahab directly reports to Mr. Chairman.

Okay. So you need a Captain/Coach info that can look after a team. Then you need a Manager to look after them. But who'll look after the Manager? Senior Manager. Who's the Senior Manager? Wahab. But who'll look after the Senior Manager? That we don't know. But Wahab directly reports to Mr. Chairman.

If you need a senior manager to look after a manager shows that the manager isn’t competent. Why not get rid of the manager and just keep a senior manager? Save some costs

What was that rubbish in the huddle before the match, when Imad had the cap in his hand? I thought they were being brave and giving someone a debut, then it was handed to Wahab?

They should make Kirsten the chief selector and he should have reports fed to him from a network of scouts. PCB can easily hire 200 scouts and scatter them across the country instead of paying 4 people in the selection panel for this dross.

This guy Wahab Riaz should be penalized in the interest of country for selecting his cronies, enough is enough there has to be some accountability

If you need a senior manager to look after a manager shows that the manager isn’t competent. Why not get rid of the manager and just keep a senior manager? Save some costs
Because Wahab has no experience as a Manager. You still needed someone to do the job.

83 Test wickets

120 ODI wickets

34 T20 wickets

1200 runs across formats

Now a Member of the Selection Committee for Pakistan men's cricket team

Happy Birthday to Wahab Riaz.

Time for him to take bold decisions or leave the seat.

83 Test wickets

120 ODI wickets

34 T20 wickets

1200 runs across formats

We are already suffering from one of his bold decisions in which he picked Azam Khan into the squad for the World Cup :D

83 Test wickets

120 ODI wickets

34 T20 wickets

1200 runs across formats

A sub standard bowler and an outrageous idiot of a selector

I remember reading somewhere that he used to keep getting picked for PCT inspite of leaking runs every match as his dad had political affiliations with a certain party. Now i guess they have done the same and given him this high post at PCB. No wonder team is in shambles..

I remember reading somewhere that he used to keep getting picked for PCT inspite of leaking runs every match as his dad had political affiliations with a certain party. Now i guess they have done the same and given him this high post at PCB. No wonder team is in shambles..
This is a norm in pakistan. Nepotism and political influence is everywhere

Back