Was it the right decision to appoint Hardik Pandya as the captain of Mumbai Indians?

As per media reports:

Pandya, Tilak Varma Involved In Heated Exchange As Rohit Sharma, MI Owners Intervened

Following the loss to Delhi at Arun Jaitley Stadium, Hardik Pandya publicly blamed Tilak Varma for the team's failure to chase down 258 runs.

Despite Tilak Varma scoring a fifty, MI's innings ended at 247 runs. Pandya criticized Varma for not being aggressive against left-arm spinner Axar Patel, adding to the growing tension within the team.

Tilak-Hardik fight
Reports have emerged about the clash between MI skipper Hardik Pandya and young talent Tilak Varma following the team's loss to DC. Hardik's public criticism of Tilak Varma didn't sit well with the young batter, leading to a confrontation.

According to a tweet from a popular X account followed by Rohit Sharma, it was Rohit and the MI's owners who intervened and resolved the issue between the MI skipper and Tilak. With tensions rising and the team struggling, MI seems to be missing Rohit Sharma's leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe he blamed Thilak Varma for lost against DC, such a poor behaviour from him.. if anything his 2 overs conceding 41 runs had big role in that lose... for that reason alone he shouldn't near any captaincy role for Indian team..

During a press conference, Rohit Sharma gave verdict on his sacking from MI captaincy:

“You don’t always get what you want, but I am happy. I have played under many captains in the past. My focus is on my game right now and what I could do for the team,”

“I was captain before, then I was not and then again was appointed as captain. It’s a part of life. It’s not different to me, it has been a great experience captaining MI but now I look forward to how I can deliver as a player,”

Hardik Pandya's MI is already out in my opinion but can they pull an unbelievable comeback? They are in a strong position to win the match against KKR.

Hardik Pandya's MI is already out in my opinion but can they pull an unbelievable comeback? They are in a strong position to win the match against KKR.
buddy , whole IPL like all league cricket is scripted , MI's USP is their owner is World's 10 richest person & maalik of vile Modi - any case , when will we see Test cricket again :( & yes Paandu is a crude goon close to tadipaar Amit Shah !

Came Across this article explaining the move

The cricketing world was left stunned when Mumbai Indians (MI) announced Hardik Pandya as their captain for the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 back in December, 2023. This unexpected move raised eyebrows and sparked discussions among fans and experts alike.

While the official explanation cited a strategic shift towards the future, recent events shed light on a deeper, more personal narrative behind this decision.

Rohit Sharma, a cornerstone of Mumbai Indians' success with his remarkable batting prowess and leadership, was suddenly relieved of his captaincy duties. The franchise justified this move by highlighting Rohit's advancing age and declining fitness, suggesting that appointing Pandya was a long-term solution to ensure continuity and renewal within the team.

However, beneath the surface lies a tale of betrayal and financial deceit that directly impacted Hardik Pandya's life and career trajectory.

Recent developments involving Pandya's stepbrother, Vaibhav Pandya, reveal a shocking betrayal that significantly influenced the cricketer's decision to seek refuge and support from the Ambani family.

The Mumbai Police arrested Vaibhav Pandya for allegedly duping Hardik and his brother Krunal of nearly Rs 4.25 crore. The brothers had jointly ventured into a polymer business in 2021, with Vaibhav entrusted to oversee daily operations. However, Vaibhav violated the terms of their agreement by clandestinely establishing his own proprietorship firm in the same industry, effectively defrauding his brothers.

This betrayal took a devastating toll on Hardik Pandya, who found himself stripped of his wealth overnight.

His extravagant lifestyle, characterized by lavish expenditures on watches, cars, and multiple residences, came crashing down when his stepbrother absconded with a staggering amount, estimated to be much more than ten folds of the revealed amount, which has been confirmed to OneCricket by a source extremely close to the Pandyas.

Left in dire straits, Hardik turned to the Ambani family for support and financial stability. The billionaire conglomerate offered him not just a lifeline but also an opportunity to rebuild his shattered life. However, this lifeline came with a condition – Pandya's allegiance to the Mumbai Indians, the franchise owned by the Ambani family.

Thus, Hardik Pandya's appointment as Mumbai Indians' captain wasn't merely a strategic decision but a consequence of personal turmoil and the pursuit of stability. The betrayal inflicted by his stepbrother propelled Pandya towards the Ambani family, where he found refuge amidst the storm of financial ruin.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a bad decision this turned out to be for Pandya. He had everything with Gujrat Titans. It was a new franchise that was hungry to make history and prove a point. It also happened to be a great team that Pandya was in many ways the central figure of. Not only was he captain but he added a vital component to the team combination with his all-round abilities. They won the IPL in their first season and almost defended it a year later. Pandya could have been to GT what Dhoni is to CSK. He had all the tools at his disposal to build a dynasty.

Instead he went for money and in the process not only ruined GT but somehow also made MI worse. And if anything, he's exposing himself day by day with his attitude and behavior. I mean stuff like throwing Tilak Varma under the bus that blatantly...that's highly unbecoming of a captain. And this is someone who wanted to be captain lol.

Btw, how lame is that? Setting captaincy as a pre-condition to join a team? Captaincy should be something that is entrusted upon you, rather than something you demand or ask for.

Whatever the reason was, but it has backfired for MI. Why would you make him the captain when you have rohit who was pretty successful TBH. I think it will be a lesson enough for MI management to take their decision back for the next season.

Don't care if he ruins MI. But how the heck they handed captaincy to Rohit and vice captaincy to Pandya. Mind boggling. Neither of them deserve to go there in the first place.

Don't care if he ruins MI. But how the heck they handed captaincy to Rohit and vice captaincy to Pandya. Mind boggling. Neither of them deserve to go there in the first place.
yes , Rohit would not have been in the team if not the skipper & Pandu 's form has been deplorable & peeps say yet not fully fit - imagine the Captain & his deputy both not deserving to be in squad :rolleyes:

"Don't Know Which Mathematical...": Hardik Pandya's Blunt Playoffs Reply To Sanjay Manjrekar

The Mumbai Indians remain the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 playoffs hunt, though only mathematically, as they secured a 7-wickt victory against Sunrisers Hyderabad on Monday. Hardik Pandya, the Mumbai Indians skipper who hasn't tasted much success this season, refused to get into the IPL playoffs numbers when informed about the same by former India cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar at the post-match presentation ceremony. For Hardik, the only focus remains is putting as many wins under the belt in the remaining two matches, as possible and see where the fate takes him and his team. (IPL 2024 Points Table)

Mumbai Indians produced a much-better all-round display against the Sunrisers, with Suryakumar Yadav stepping up with a match-wining knock of 102 off just 51 balls. Hardik also looked astute with his bowling as well as captaincy decisions as MI handed SRH their 3rd defeat in last 4 matches.

But, despite the win, Hardik isn't getting carried away as far as MI's playoffs chances are concerned.

"I don't know which mathematical situation we're talking about, but at the same time, you want to focus on playing good cricket," Hardik said in the post-match presentation, replying to Manjrekar's suggestion.

"The way our batters batted, that was excellent. My bowling, I like to bowl in the right areas, I bowl according to the situation. Bowled in the right areas today and it worked. I was like Chawla had to bowl from the shorter side. He (Chawla) had to be accurate, the margin of errors have become smaller these days for the bowlers.

"It's unbelievable, the best past of SKY is that he puts the bowlers under pressure. It's sheer confidence, his game has changed, is one of the best batters. He can change a game in a different way, lucky to have him (SKY) in our side," Hardik further said in the presentation ceremony.

For MI to finish among the top 4 sides in the IPL this season, they don't just need to win their remaining 2 matches in the league campaign but also hope for a few other results to fall in their favour. Even margins of MI's wins in the last two matches have to be huge in order for them to remain in realistic contention.

NDTV

List of Hardhik's antics as MI captain

- Disrespects Malinga by pushing him away on the field and orders him to get up in the dug out so that he can sit down in his place

- Shouts at Rohit in the field

- Shouts at Jasprit Bhumra in the field

- Bowls and bats like a clown

- Disrespects and throws Tilak Varma under the bus blaming him for a defeat in a game where he scored 64 of 31 and in the same game Hardhik conceeded 41 runs in 2 overs.

- Not sure if this is true but there was a picture circulating on Youtube where he was holding Mark Boucher's collar

Am shocked that the Ambani's given their wealth and business experience would chose this clown over Rohit, he has bought nothing but negativity and demoralization to the MI team. Am pretty sure that everyone will be happy to see the back of him. I hope Gujrat Titans refuse to take him back going forward.

Back