Was it the right decision to appoint Hardik Pandya as the captain of Mumbai Indians?

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
After completing a sensational transfer to Mumbai for the 2024 season of the Indian Premier League, it has not been an ideal start for the new captain Hardik Pandya, who began a new era with back-to-back defeats which must be a cause for concern for the Mumbai Indians.

In my opinion, this is the biggest mistake Hardik has made by leaving the Gujarat Titans. This move could potentially damage his reputation in the IPL. If he doesn't win the title for MI in the next IPL, it might become a challenge for him to retain his spot in the team.

What do you think guys? Was it the right move by Hardik to leave the Gujarat Titans?

Don't like what i see of Pandya. Plenty of clips online showing him being rude, disrespectful to his team mates

- He pushed Malinga away at the end of an IPL game

- Malinga was sitting and talking with Pollard during a training session, Pandya comes and orders Malinga to vacate the seat for him so that he could sit next to Pollard. Malinga has won MI the IPL several times and is a legend for them.

- He barked at Rohit Sharma to stand at the boundary

- He disrespected his WI hosts critizing the arrangements and hoteling facilities in public

- Have read his off field lifestyle is very ranchy, he has had a rape allegation against him.

Do not like this guy one bit.

Tbh Pandya has not really helped his cause with his arrogant behavior and antics. He talks to and treats people like he owns them.
Pandya has shot himself in the foot... after such a response from the fans and poor captaincy i m sure he is going to be released by MI next season.

On cricketing pov they should drop Rohit actually.. I don't mind captaincy change but it done poorly.. should've appointed hardik as captain next season onward..

If ever Chacha was given captaincy of Pakistan. It would have the similar result like MI

Chacha has anger issues but deep down he is a humble chill guy off the field. He only gets moody on the field in the heat of the moment.

Look who is talking about being disciplined :D

6ygLvS2.jpeg

Rohit is a very successful ipl captain. Hardik also has a title under his belt.

Problem was with how the transfer of power happened.

Chacha has anger issues but deep down he is a humble chill guy off the field. He only gets moody on the field in the heat of the moment.
Chacha is not an international player. He will only perform in domestic games or against Nepal

Rohit is 37 and he is an old man. He should give up captaincy and let someone younger take the reigns. Hardik is the right candidate. He is coming off as a fresh IPL Champion captain.

MI fans are a disgrace. They are booing Pandya and attacking& trolling him personally including his family. As though Rohit is an indispensable player who is playing like a beast. Rohit himself is struggling in IPL and his lack of runs shows it.

Rohit must come out and give a statement showing his support for the new captain. His silence is fueling MI clown fans to turn against Pandya.

Rohit is 37 and he is an old man. He should give up captaincy and let someone younger take the reigns. Hardik is the right candidate. He is coming off as a fresh IPL Champion captain.

MI fans are a disgrace. They are booing Pandya and attacking& trolling him personally including his family. As though Rohit is an indispensable player who is playing like a beast. Rohit himself is struggling in IPL and his lack of runs shows it.

Rohit must come out and give a statement showing his support for the new captain. His silence is fueling MI clown fans to turn against Pandya.

Absolutely not. Pandya needs to be reminded of his aukat and should be made to earn the respect of his team mates and fans in general. He is not going to do that by walking around and treating everyone as if he owns everyone.

Absolutely not. Pandya needs to be reminded of his aukat and should be made to earn the respect of his team mates and fans in general. He is not going to do that by walking around and treating everyone as if he owns everyone.
Cant stand Hardik's smirky smile.

It was a good decision theoretically for Mumbai, as Rohit won’t be there forever. I am glad though that Hardik Pandya’s captaincy is getting exposed, as I don’t think he should be leading T20 cricket for India.

Owns? He is the darn captain. He is supposed to set the fields. Just because someone is senior, he should not ask Rohit to stand at long on log off?

Seriously. The entitlement of Rohit is pathetic. Kohli was removed from captaincy of RCB too. There was not much fuss. Rohit is on his last legs. He needs to concentrate on his own batting. Any unselfish player would have voluntarily given up captaincy to groom a younger person to take the reigns.

Owns? He is the darn captain. He is supposed to set the fields. Just because someone is senior, he should not ask Rohit to stand at long on log off?

Seriously. The entitlement of Rohit is pathetic. Kohli was removed from captaincy of RCB too. There was not much fuss. Rohit is on his last legs. He needs to concentrate on his own batting. Any unselfish player would have voluntarily given up captaincy to groom a younger person to take the reigns.

Don't think Rohit would have had any problems if the person replacing him wasn't Pandya. Kohli wasn't removed, he resigned. All it required was for the Ambani's to have a private conversation with Rohit and discuss a succession plan rather than keeping him in the dark and then telling him via big surprise you are fired.

Everyone knows how rude and arrogant Pandya is. Enough video evidence of this and no wonder he is immensely disliked in the dug out.

Don't think Rohit would have had any problems if the person replacing him wasn't Pandya. Kohli wasn't removed, he resigned. All it required was for the Ambani's to have a private conversation with Rohit and discuss a succession plan rather than keeping him in the dark and then telling him via big surprise you are fired.

Everyone knows how rude and arrogant Pandya is. Enough video evidence of this and no wonder he is immensely disliked in the dug out.
Rohit deserves to be dropped altogether from MI.. has been terrible with the bat last few years + his team has been lagging well behind others. You can’t rest on past laurels forever.

They are professionals. Any decision made by the management should be taken without protests. He is paid by them. If Rohit did not like the decision, he should've request to be traded. Not stay in the team and whine and hurt the team integrity.

Its funny how Pandya was not arrogant or rude with Gujarat Titans. But all of a sudden he comes arrogant in Mumbai. Rohit is hurting the team with his antics and his fans are clowns. They put individual player over the franchise. Looks like all these clowns will desert MI fanbase once Rohit retires.

Hardik Pandya is Shoaib Akhtar of India. Unhinged arrogance & narcissism. Such people are never far away from controversies

Only thing is Indians don't tolerate such characters unlike Pakistan.

Thing is Rohit Sharma was at the peak of his popularity due to his performances during 2023 WC. Most fans truly appreciated his selfless batting style & genuinely felt bad for him that India did not win the WC

Thats why the hate against Pandya is so intense. Bcoz the announcement came just few after the WC final. It felt like kicking Rohit when he was so devastated by WC final loss

It was very badly handled by the Ambanis but Hardik ideally should have sensed the mood & declined the offer. He could have stayed put in Gujarat * build a legacy like Dhoni at CSK or Rohit at MI. But no he wanted to become MI captain. Unhinged ambition & arrogance can cause real damage at times

Rohit, Kohli etc are not getting any younger so it makes sense to look for replacements

Why? Because he wanted to captain the team? He is fresh coming off with a title.
I am not a fan of Pandya in general. Everything he does oozes a level of arrogance which does not suit him given his skill level. He is very good but he is no Yuvraj who won us world cups.

Chacha is an international player as long as you don't ask him to run quick singles , catch in the slips , hide him from wrist spinners etc

This is not the Iftikhar Ahmed thread. If you want to discuss him so bump his thread but please don't derail this one. Thanks

Can't make someone captain who was not a part of their squad the previous season. Can't remove Rohit like that.

Can understand Gujarat titans fans calling Pandya Gaddaar, but MI fans booing him ? That is funny. They should boo their daddy Ambani indeed if they have to.

Pandya and MI thing has been the worst move for both parties. Pandya was doing good int GT. He is a fool to leave his franchise after winning a title for them as a captain. WHy? Just for a few more pennies offered here. Ambani sahab has made a mess.

Definitely not right.

It was a case of how power outpowered trust and loyalty despite a player-franchise successful outing.

I have no doubts on Pandya's captaincy skills but the hostile environment in MI is making things difficult for him.

Indian cricket keeps on entertaining us with these sub-plots. After Rohit-Kohli, we have Pandya-Rohit. Enjoying the clown show. Personally feel that Hardik has been hard done by celebrity worshipping lot.

One has to perform in International to become a international player lol not just 100 against Nepal
no you do not have, one only needs to debut to become international.

We know you dont like Iftikhar, maybe talk something else rather than going on about him 24/7

Technically, I don't see it as a sound decision, and I don't understand the logic of taking him back to Mumbai Indians.

IPL: The unprecedented booing of Indian cricket star Hardik Pandya

For the past two weeks, an Indian cricket star has been booed heavily by fans in packed stadiums across the country.

Hardik Pandya, captain of the Mumbai Indians team in Indian Premier League (IPL), the world's richest cricket tournament, has faced booing crowds during the team's games in Ahmedabad, Hyderabad and even in home ground, Mumbai.

Traded from his earlier side Gujarat Titans, Pandya has replaced India's all format skipper Rohit Sharma at the Mumbai Indians for the 2024 IPL, which began on 23 March. The 30-year-old seam-bowling all-rounder had previously been part of four title-winning campaigns under Sharma's leadership at Mumbai Indians, spending his first seven IPL seasons there until 2021.

For many, the move from Mumbai came as a surprise. The franchise has a history of storied captains. Pandya's appointment marks Mumbai's fifth captain since its inception in 2008, succeeding the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, and Rohit Sharma.

However, Mumbai fans have not taken to it lightly. They believe Sharma - the competition's joint-most successful captain, alongside MS Dhoni - didn't give up the captaincy and was displaced. And they are letting Pandya know how they feel.

The Mumbai captain encountered a hostile reception from fans last week in Ahmedabad when facing his former team, Gujarat Titans, whom he lead to successive IPL finals, including the 2022 title. The booing continued as Mumbai faced Sunrisers Hyderabad in the southern city of Hyderabad.

At Mumbai's home game against Rajasthan Royals (RR) at Wankhede Stadium on Monday night, Pandya faced jeers from fans during the toss, prompting commentator Sanjay Manjrekar to ask the crowds to "behave".

That didn't quite placate the crowd though. The boos returned when Pandya couldn't latch on to a difficult catch and the only time the jeering turned to applause was when Pandya hit a few boundaries. It didn't help that Royals won the game, handing down Mumbai's third back-to-back defeat.

Ravichandran Ashwin, the spin maestro who plays for Rajasthan Royals, has chastised crowds for their behaviour and blamed India's "fan wars" for the booing that Pandya has been subjected to.

"People should remember which country these players represent. It's our country. Fan wars should never take such an ugly route," he said on his YouTube channel.

Ashwin cited instances from the past where Indian cricket legends such as Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, and Rahul Dravid played under each other's captaincies without any significant fan backlash.

"Sourav Ganguly played under Sachin Tendulkar and vice versa. These two have both played under Rahul Dravid. These three have played under Anil Kumble and all of them have played under MS Dhoni. When they were under Dhoni, these players were cricket jambhavans (giants). Dhoni too played under Virat Kohli."

Ashwin also asked whether such "fan wars" happen in any other cricket playing nation.

"Have you seen, for instance, Joe Root and Zak Crawley fans have a fight? Or Joe Root and Jos Buttler fans fight? It's crazy. Do you see Steven Smith fans fighting with Pat Cummins fans in Australia?".

Rajasthan Royals' pace bowler Trent Boult has also backed Pandya, a former teammate, and asked him to "block out white noise".

"It is something you cannot control, as professional sportspeople it is what you are exposed to in a way. You have to block out the white noise and focus on the job, (but) it is easier said than done," the New Zealand pace bowler told the media.

On social media platforms such as Reddit and X, fans are asserting their freedom of expression, saying that cricketers are overly sensitive. They argue that if players embrace adoration, they must also endure criticism, including boos.

Sports writer Sharda Ugra said the booing of Pandya was quite unprecedented.

"You've had players booed by the crowds at various stands, but in this sustained manner… from one ground to another ground and to a third ground which is his home ground… It's quite unusual," says Ugra, who has been writing on cricket since 1989.

"I think it's a lot generated by social media. It's almost like a trend that carries on at every Mumbai Indians game," she adds.

Many believe Mumbai and Pandya exacerbated the situation by offering no clarity when questioned about the change in captaincy.

During a pre-season press conference broadcast live on YouTube, Pandya was queried about a potential "captaincy clause" in his contract following his move from Gujarat to Mumbai. He maintained a stoic silence, leaving the moderator no option but to swiftly move to the next question.

Similarly, when reporters pressed head coach Mark Boucher to reason behind the franchise's decision to appoint Pandya as captain over Sharma this season, Boucher opted for silence as well.

Only time will tell whether the fans warm up to Pandya and accept him fully. Undoubtedly, if he begins to perform well and guides his team to wins, the jeers are likely to make way for applause.

BBC

Any unselfish player would have voluntarily given up captaincy to groom a younger person to take the reigns.
Rohit thought he will be treated like Dhoni at the csk and will be permanent captain. One issue is if he is removed as Mumbai captain, it will put pressure on his Indian captaincy role.Now he can't say its a correct decision from the future perspective.

It is a tough question for me to answer because although Pandya seems quite unlikable, as a point of principle I like to stand with those that the Indian masses are against.

no you do not have, one only needs to debut to become international.

We know you dont like Iftikhar, maybe talk something else rather than going on about him 24/7
Might as well play for MI. Pandya would make him water boy. Thats what he is good for

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well play for MI. Pandya would make him water boy . Thats what he is good for
And as a waterboy for MI he would earn more than you or i would ever do so

Just because you dont like a cricketer, no need to insult him or spread lies about him around here

And as a waterboy for MI he would earn more than you or i would ever do so

Just because you dont like a cricketer, no need to insult him or spread lies about him around here
No I’m good, I already make more Thn him. He played for my uncle’s club at gt20 league. His agent was begging for money next year 😂. Don’t get triggered, he is not Misbah

It seems both management and rohit are not happy with him

No I’m good, I already make more Thn him. He played for my uncle’s club at gt20 league. His agent was begging for money next year 😂. Don’t get triggered, he is not Misbah

Either provide proof or stop making baseless allegations.

Looks like the IPL Franchises really chuck you out when you are unwanted. Look at what Sunriders Hyderabad did to David Warner in 2021, they now only sacked him as captain but they banished him from the team dressing room mid way during the season and handed over the reigns to Kane Williamson and once the season was over, David Warner was also blocked by the Franchises on Instagram. Surely there is a civil cordial way to part ways without resorting to these tactics.

It was beyond understanding why MI would bring a guy and make him captain straightaway and look who he has replaced as captain. Rohit, who won 5 titles for MI.

This thread is not about Iftikhar so please stay on topic or else you can bump Iftikhar's thread for this type of conversation. In this thread, stick to the topic. Thanks

Last edited:
Legendary Indian cricket team batter Sunil Gavaskar was furious with Mumbai Indians skipper Hardik Pandya after he was hit for three consecutive sixes by MS Dhoni during the IPL 2024 match against Chennai Super Kings on Sunday. He said:

"Probably the worst kind of bowling that I've seen for a long, long time. It almost looks like I've had this embrace with my hero. I've got a bowling kind of deliveries that he's gonna hit for sixes. One 6 is fine. The next one again a length ball when you know that this batter is looking for a length ball to hit. The third ball again, a full toss on the leg side and he's looking for it and hits it for a 6. Absolutely ordinary bowling, ordinary captaincy,"

Hardik Pandya is hiding some injury, and that's for sure. I think this decision is a blessing in disguise because it has exposed that Hardik Pandya is just an overrated player. He is not something legendary.

I think they appointed him captain a bit early, should have continued with Rohit.

Adam Gilchrist explained why MI fans have still not accepted Hardik Pandya as their captain while speaking to a local Indian sports media platform:

“High-profile teams are a victim of their own success. There are often trades that come out of the blue, and fans feel like, 'hand on, we are not invested in this'. They feel that they are part of this big picture and hence feel blindsided. The way this Hardik traded came out of nowhere and the transition from Rohit to Hardik...whether Rohit was happy or not or if he was considered or not. So that is where this feeling is coming.”

Hardik hasn't helped himself to be honest.

But Mumbai Indians’ batting coach Kieron Pollard was having none of that criticism, stating that Hardik Pandya is an individual who is working ‘bloody hard’ to improve his skills. Pollard said in the post-match press conference:

"I don't know if it will affect his confidence. He is a confident guy, he has been great around the group."

“In cricket, you have good days and bad days and I am seeing an individual who is working bloody hard to improve his skills and plying his trade.”

"I am fed up of [us] looking to pinpoint individuals; cricket is a team game at the end of the day. This is an individual that is going to represent the country in less than six weeks' time, and all are going to cheer him and want him to do well.”

“So high time we try to encourage and stop nitpicking and see if we can get the best out of one of the great allrounders India has produced. He can bat, bowl and field, and has a X-factor about him.”

"I hope very well deep down within my heart that when he comes out on top, I'll sit back and watch everyone sing his praises."

"As an individual you have to evolve (Pandya’s batting methods). When you are young, you have the youthful exuberance. You go out and do things in a certain manner. The older you get, accountability and responsibility kick in."

"What I am seeing is the guy is evolving. We, as individuals, want to see certain things but sometimes the game does not demand certain things and [players] are going to make mistakes as you go along, as we all have done. The individual has put in the work and hard work pays off. So, all of us will be singing his praises when time comes."

Kevin Pietersen lashes out at Hardik Pandya for his stubbornness and failure as a captain against CSK. He said:

“He lacked flexibility in his strategy during the match. Despite the seamers leaking runs, Pandya stubbornly stuck to the bowling plan formulated hours earlier rather than adapting as the situation demanded. Even Brian Lara advised bowling spin to change the tempo. A more profound tactical approach was needed.”

“Hardik Pandya’s off-field issues seem to be negatively impacting his on-field performance. His overly cheerful demeanor during the coin toss appears forced. Having faced intense public scrutiny myself, I recognize the signs of inner turmoil. This type of external pressure can impact a player’s mental state and game,”

“The boos and hostile reception Hardik Pandya has been receiving from the crowd are clearly affecting him emotionally and hurting his performance. As an Indian player, he understandably does not want to be treated this way by home crowds. The ecstatic cheers Dhoni and CSK received also added to Pandya’s pain. This difficult atmosphere seems to be negatively impacting Pandya’s mental state and cricket. The situation needs to be addressed so that he is not unfairly singled out for such harsh treatment from Indian crowds,”

He tried to shake up too much and it ended up backfiring. With all the heat going around he should have been a bit more conservative with his approach as a captain. Mumbai Indians ulike other franchise has army of advisors, personnels. It is a massive set up. He can reverse the trend still if he doesn't make basic errors both as a captain and player. People don't remember these things very long if you keep winning. When you don't win things can go south.

Hardik is not proving any lucky guy for MI since he decided to move from GT to MI. He made a blunder to leave his champion franchise with whom he won the title as a captain. This MI franchise suits Rohit Shamra who knows much more than Hardik TBH. WHen Rohit is team India's captain, MI should have kept him MI's captain as well.

Pandya is a crude goon & I dislike him - pure trash as a human & no great shakes as a cricketer !

Pandya is a crude goon & I dislike him - pure trash as a human & no great shakes as a cricketer !
As a cricketer I like him but as a human he is a very negative person. Leaving GT was the biggest blunder of his life which will haunt him for a long time.

Speaking in a podcast, Rohit opened up on his journey as captain and also shed light on MI's slow start to IPL 2024, He said:

"All these years actually, this has been the story of Mumbai Indians where we started pretty slow and then things start to change. I guess it has to do with when you have new players in the squad, it's just about because the captain for the last ten years was stagnant, the coaches have changed for few years, but the captain has been stagnant,"

"I actually went with some thought process and I wanted to know from the people who would come in, to get them into my thought process because I know how IPL works and what it needs to be a successful team, so it takes time to get everyone on board and make them do something that they are not used to doing. For example, there have been so many cricketers, overseas players, local players who have come into the team and I know the Wankhede Stadium because I've played there, I've grown up there, so I know what works there, what you need to do."

Pandya's Bankruptcy Was The 'Big' Reason For Rohit-Hardik MI Captaincy Switch

The cricketing world was left stunned when Mumbai Indians (MI) announced Hardik Pandya as their captain for the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 back in December, 2023. This unexpected move raised eyebrows and sparked discussions among fans and experts alike.
While the official explanation cited a strategic shift towards the future, recent events shed light on a deeper, more personal narrative behind this decision.

Rohit Sharma, a cornerstone of Mumbai Indians' success with his remarkable batting prowess and leadership, was suddenly relieved of his captaincy duties. The franchise justified this move by highlighting Rohit's advancing age and declining fitness, suggesting that appointing Pandya was a long-term solution to ensure continuity and renewal within the team.

However, beneath the surface lies a tale of betrayal and financial deceit that directly impacted Hardik Pandya's life and career trajectory.

Recent developments involving Pandya's stepbrother, Vaibhav Pandya, reveal a shocking betrayal that significantly influenced the cricketer's decision to seek refuge and support from the Ambani family.

The Mumbai Police arrested Vaibhav Pandya for allegedly duping Hardik and his brother Krunal of nearly Rs 4.25 crore. The brothers had jointly ventured into a polymer business in 2021, with Vaibhav entrusted to oversee daily operations. However, Vaibhav violated the terms of their agreement by clandestinely establishing his own proprietorship firm in the same industry, effectively defrauding his brothers.

This betrayal took a devastating toll on Hardik Pandya, who found himself stripped of his wealth overnight.

His extravagant lifestyle, characterized by lavish expenditures on watches, cars, and multiple residences, came crashing down when his stepbrother absconded with a staggering amount, estimated to be much more than ten folds of the revealed amount, which has been confirmed to OneCricket by a source extremely close to the Pandyas.

Left in dire straits, Hardik turned to the Ambani family for support and financial stability. The billionaire conglomerate offered him not just a lifeline but also an opportunity to rebuild his shattered life. However, this lifeline came with a condition – Pandya's allegiance to the Mumbai Indians, the franchise owned by the Ambani family.

Thus, Hardik Pandya's appointment as Mumbai Indians' captain wasn't merely a strategic decision but a consequence of personal turmoil and the pursuit of stability. The betrayal inflicted by his stepbrother propelled Pandya towards the Ambani family, where he found refuge amidst the storm of financial ruin.

Don't know how much it is true .two facts are his cousin cheated him and his extravagant style.

MI dugout caught sending signals for DRS, demand for specialist 3rd umpire grows after 'too many questionable decisions'​

There have been some questionable third umpire decisions in IPL 2024, and it was once again pushed into the spotlight on Thursday, in Mullanpur. Mumbai Indians defeated hosts Punjab Kings by nine runs but the match was shrouded in controversy.

One such decision was made in the 15th over of the first innings. PBKS pacer Arshdeep Singh sent a wide yorker with Suryakumar Yadav staying leg side and he failed to reach out. The umpire didn't give it as wide. Meanwhile, members of the MI camp were allegedly spotted watching the replay and then signalling to their batters for a review. After the review, a wide was given but PBKS captain Sam Curran was left enraged.

In the 19th over, Sam Curran sent a delivery, outside off, to which Tim David reached out. The ball went through to the wicketkeeper. Initially it wasn't called a wide, but the batter decided to review the decision. The replays showed that the ball went under David's bat, and third umpire Nitin Menon adjudged it as wide. Meanwhile, the IPL rules state that a ball can't be wide, if it is within the reach of a batter.

Reacting to the situation, former SRH head coach Tom Moody took to X, formerly known as Twitter, and lamented the work of third umpires, and called for specialists. He also felt that some umpires were better suited to field duty. "It’s time we considered having specialist 3rd umpires, too many questionable decisions being made. Some umpires are better suited on field, the 3rd umpire requires experience and a certain skill set,” he wrote.

Such decisions, however small they maybe, can have a huge impact on not just the match, but the entire IPL 2024 points table. With the win, MI are now back in the playoffs race and are seventh in the points table with six points in seven fixtures.

Meanwhile, PBKS have crumbled to ninth with four points in seven fixtures. MI will be looking to build a winning streak and push for the playoff spots. On the other hand, Punjab will seek revival.

MI dugout caught sending signals for DRS, demand for specialist 3rd umpire grows after 'too many questionable decisions'​

There have been some questionable third umpire decisions in IPL 2024, and it was once again pushed into the spotlight on Thursday, in Mullanpur. Mumbai Indians defeated hosts Punjab Kings by nine runs but the match was shrouded in controversy.

One such decision was made in the 15th over of the first innings. PBKS pacer Arshdeep Singh sent a wide yorker with Suryakumar Yadav staying leg side and he failed to reach out. The umpire didn't give it as wide. Meanwhile, members of the MI camp were allegedly spotted watching the replay and then signalling to their batters for a review. After the review, a wide was given but PBKS captain Sam Curran was left enraged.

In the 19th over, Sam Curran sent a delivery, outside off, to which Tim David reached out. The ball went through to the wicketkeeper. Initially it wasn't called a wide, but the batter decided to review the decision. The replays showed that the ball went under David's bat, and third umpire Nitin Menon adjudged it as wide. Meanwhile, the IPL rules state that a ball can't be wide, if it is within the reach of a batter.

Reacting to the situation, former SRH head coach Tom Moody took to X, formerly known as Twitter, and lamented the work of third umpires, and called for specialists. He also felt that some umpires were better suited to field duty. "It’s time we considered having specialist 3rd umpires, too many questionable decisions being made. Some umpires are better suited on field, the 3rd umpire requires experience and a certain skill set,” he wrote.

Such decisions, however small they maybe, can have a huge impact on not just the match, but the entire IPL 2024 points table. With the win, MI are now back in the playoffs race and are seventh in the points table with six points in seven fixtures.

Meanwhile, PBKS have crumbled to ninth with four points in seven fixtures. MI will be looking to build a winning streak and push for the playoff spots. On the other hand, Punjab will seek revival.

BCCI Punishes Tim David, Kieron Pollard For Breaching IPL's Code Of Conduct. Know What Happened​

Mumbai Indians (MI) clinched a nail-biting nine-run win over hosts Punjab Kings in Mullanpur, on Thursday (April 18). However, the match was overshadowed by controversy as a viral video showed MI players and support staff allegedly helping batter Suryakumar Yadav from the dugout in asking for a DRS review. As a result, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has taken swift action against Mumbai Indians' batting coach Kieron Pollard and batter Tim David for breaching the IPL Code of Conduct.

"Mumbai Indians batter Tim David and batting coach Kieron Pollard have been fined for breaching the IPL’s Code of Conduct during their team’s Tata Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 match against Punjab Kings at the PCA New International Cricket Stadium, Mullanpur on April 18," BCCI said.

While BCCI didn't disclose specific details, it seems evident that the issue revolved around signals given by Tim David and Kieron Pollard from the dugout to Suryakumar Yadav regarding a wide call during MI vs PBKS IPL 2024 match.

Both Tim David and Kieron Pollard were found guilty of Level 1 offence under Article 2.20. As a result, they were each fined twenty percent of their match fees. The duo admitted to the offence and accepted the sanction.

Mumbai Indians (MI) currently hold the seventh position on Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 points table, with four losses and three wins from seven games in IPL 2024 season, thus far. MI's next challenge awaits them on Monday (April 22), as they take on Rajasthan Royals in Jaipur.

Mumbai Indians' confidence once again got hit the five-time champions registered a big defeat against Rajasthan Royals. After the match, former India batter Manoj Tiwary slammed captain Hardik for not utilizing pacer Jasprit Bumrah right from the first over against RR," he stated while speaking to an Indian sports media platform:

"If you have Jasprit Bumrah in the line-up why will you not bowl him in the first over? Buttler came off a hundred, Jaiswal was not in the best form, you need to give your best bowler the best chance of picking a wicket. When Hardik Pandya came in, he got hit for 2 boundaries and that took the shine away from the new ball slightly, and the margin of swing reduced. Things got easier for the batter."

"I don't see MI progressing in the points table because these silly mistakes are being made. If this kind of captaincy continues, MI are not making the playoffs. Previously, players were with Rohit Sharma. Now it feels like that MI players have not bought into Hardik Pandya as the captain of the side."

Former Pakistan cricket team star pacer Wasim Akram commented on the captaincy change in MI, stating during an interview with digital sports media:

"In franchise cricket, such things happen. Look at how CSK took the captaincy decision for the long run, and maybe, even they (MI) had the same idea. This was not a personal decision, but in my view, Rohit Sharma should have continued as captain for one more year. Perhaps, next year, Hardik Pandya could have been the captain."

Former Pakistani captain Wasim Akram voiced his support for Mumbai Indians’ skipper Hardik Pandya, who has been criticised relentlessly due to the team’s poor performance in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024, He said:

"This is the problem in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. We never forget. We tell our kids that when Pandya's kid is born, you have to remind him why he became captain 20 years ago. We don't move on."

"I think fans need to be a little calm. At the end of the day, he is your player. He plays for Mumbai Indians, and he is the one who can make you win. There is no point booing your own player. You can criticize a little bit, but move on."

Ambani are to blame for this mess, destroyed two teams by their whimsical actions ie GT and MI.

Back