Report: Ajit Agarkar to announce India's ICC T20I World Cup 2024 squad after meeting Rohit Sharma post DC vs MI IPL 2024 match in Delhi

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The date for the much-anticipated announcement of India's 15-member squad for the 2024 ICC T20 World Cup has been more or less set, with BCCI chief selector Ajit Agarkar set to meet India captain Rohit Sharma in and around the IPL 2024 match between Delhi Capitals and Mumbai Indians in New Delhi next Saturday. The cut-off date for the announcement of the World Cup squad, as set by the International Cricket Council (ICC), is May 1.

According to a report in Dainik Jagran, Agarkar, Rohit and the remainder of the selection committee are all set to brainstorm on India's 15-member squad for the World Cup when they meet in Delhi during the DC-MI game, which will be played on April 27 at Arun Jaitley Stadium. Rohit will be present in Delhi then and Agarkar, currently on a holiday in Spain, is likely to reach the capital city on April 27 or 28.

Among the many selection headaches that the committee will need to answer are - who will Virat Kohli open for India, who will accompany Jasprit Bumrah in the pace department, will Yuzvendra Chahal make the squad, who will be the wicketkeeping options and whether Hardik Pandya will find a spot amid his poor run of form in the ongoing IPL 2024.

The report mentions that besides captain Rohit, the other certainties to travel to the USA for the World Cup include Suryakumar Yadav, Bumrah, Ravindra Jadeja, Rishabh Pant, Arshdeep Singh, Mohammed Siraj and Kuldeep Yadav. Hardik's inclusion will only depend on his performance for Mumbai Indians in IPL 2024. In seven matches so far, the Mumbai Indians captain has only scored 141 runs at 23.50, while picking 4 wickets across 15 overs he bowled in seven matches.

Heading into the IPL 2024 season, Shubman Gill and Yashasvi Jaiswal were in a battle to seal the spot for the primary opening option, but with Kohli being backed for the role to partner Rohit in the World Cup at the top of the order, it remains to be seen which of the two young batters will be unfortunate to miss. If the selectors do pick both players, then fitting the choice will be down to fitting one between Shivam Dube and Rinku Singh in the squad, who have both been exceptional down the order with their six-hitting prowess.

India will begin their World Cup campaign in June 5 against Ireland at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York. The members clubbed with India in Group A are Pakistan, Canada and co-hosts USA.

In your opinion, which players from the top performers of IPL 2024 so far should make it to India's ICC T20I World Cup 2024 squad?

I agree with Tom Moody; it will be too early to bring Mayank into the World Cup squad.

We know the team already. Apart from fanboys nobody will like this team. Not a tournament that has to be taken seriously and use the "experience" card to keep the seniors relevant. But they will do precisely that.

We know the team already. Apart from fanboys nobody will like this team. Not a tournament that has to be taken seriously and use the "experience" card to keep the seniors relevant. But they will do precisely that.
I expect Kohli, Rohit, Jadeja and KL Rahul to feature in the squad. This is pretty much the same core that has been losing one WC after another in the last 5 years.
I read somewhere that Agarkar wants Rohit to open with Kohli. I am just hoping that it is a troll news.

I expect Kohli, Rohit, Jadeja and KL Rahul to feature in the squad. This is pretty much the same core that has been losing one WC after another in the last 5 years.
I read somewhere that Agarkar wants Rohit to open with Kohli. I am just hoping that it is a troll news.
You forgot Hardik 'Sobers' Pandya and Dinesh Karthik. :inti

This time the selection would be a head ache for the selectors as need some guts to bring forth the new talent.

Everyone knows kohli statpads and is slow against left arm spin.This selection team is completely a joke with out any eye on future and bigger picture for Indian team.This is.selfishness to the core from the oldies.

Same old tuk tukers will be selected - kohli klrahul rohit jadeja pandya gill

Batsmen who should be selected- abhishek jaiswal sky parag rinku dube shashank samad samson

Bowling - mukesh prasidh siraj bhuvi khaleel ashwin have no place in int 20. They should pick bumrah Kuldeep bishnoi natarajan (has been very effective) shami if fit, sandeep( yes left field selection but has bowled tough overs for RR when others were tonked)..

They dropped kohli and Rohit for a few series. I thought they were gone for good. Here we are. I never bothered about world T20 much. That is why i wanted a very young squad with zero seniors. That won't happen until these guys come home empty handed. This is not as big as winning ODI world cup. This format is a lottery format. Not suitable for India. It reduces the difference between quality of teams due to short nature.

The cut off date to announce the squad set by ICC is May 1 so all teams will announce theirs too shortly .

Read the first para in the article .
Cut off date for provisional squad. Final squad selection is sometime in the last week of May.

Squad news is coming soon. Kohli will be there no matter what. His IPL performance is up top. But IPL has unearthed some wonderful players like Abhishek sharma from SRH. He looked good.

Will be corrupt selection, oldies will keep their spots safe and do their usual statpadding.

Would you still want him to be the part of the India T20 WC squad.
YnkzULX.jpeg

People can digest Yashashvi's omission if selectors were to be honest and consistent and chose everyone on the basis of IPL performance.

They have not done so in the past, now will they do it this time.

Kohli is needed just for the Pakistan encounter. He will do his magic in that match like usual.

Rohit cannot be dropped because he is the captain.

KL Rahul has cemented his place with Pant struggling.

Jadeja will pip Axar for the A/R Spinner spot. There is no other option. Parag can bowl too, but his bowling is not upto the level.

Hardik will pip Dube for the A/R bowler spot. Dube's bowling is a joke. I would consider the Reddy guy for SRH. But he is too young and inexperienced.

Basically you have all the oldies to make up the squad. The remaining 5 spots will be seriously contested. India cannot think out of the box.

Kohli is needed just for the Pakistan encounter. He will do his magic in that match like usual.

Rohit cannot be dropped because he is the captain.

KL Rahul has cemented his place with Pant struggling.

Jadeja will pip Axar for the A/R Spinner spot. There is no other option. Parag can bowl too, but his bowling is not upto the level.

Hardik will pip Dube for the A/R bowler spot. Dube's bowling is a joke. I would consider the Reddy guy for SRH. But he is too young and inexperienced.

Basically you have all the oldies to make up the squad. The remaining 5 spots will be seriously contested. India cannot think out of the box.
Ind is not winning the t20wc. A sf spot at best. These seniors carry baggage plus t20 has totally evolved . Just see eng aus sa wi top orders.

Yuvraj Singh dissects India's options for T20 World Cup squad

Former India all-rounder Yuvraj Singh dissected the options of who should be India's first-choice wicket-keeper, picked out the key player that must fire and provided some insight into the future of Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli.

Yuvraj played a starring role when helping guide India to their sole Men’s T20 World Cup success and his feat of smashing England's Stuart Broad for six consecutive sixes in an over during a Super 8s clash at that tournament in South Africa in 2007 still brings a smile to the face of the cricketing great when mentioned in passing 17 years later.

And Yuvraj will once again be involved at the T20 World Cup this year in the USA and Caribbean, with the former India all-rounder unveiled by the ICC on Friday, 26 April as an ambassador for the 2024 tournament.

Yuvraj remains an avid watcher of the international game and sat down with the ICC to discuss a range of issues surrounding this year's event and just what India needs to do to lift the coveted T20 World Cup trophy for a second time.

Key player that must perform for India

Yuvraj immediately identified the World's No.1 ranked T20I batter Suryakumar Yadav as the player that must have a good tournament in the USA and Caribbean if India are to claim the title, while he also suggested pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah needs to be at his best.

"Suryakumar Yadav (is India's key player)," Yuvraj suggested.

"Because the way he plays, he can change the complexion of a game in 15 balls.

"And he is definitely a surety…for India to win this T20 World Cup, Surya is going to be the key.

"I think Jasprit Bumrah is also the key with the bowling and I would like to see a leg-spinner in the squad as well, like Yuzvendra Chahal as he has been bowling really well.

"But being a batter, I would say Suryakumar Yadav (is the key player).”

Age a factor in India wicket-keeper debate

While Yuvraj has been impressed with what Dinesh Karthik has been able to do for Royal Challengers Bengaluru in the Indian Premier League this year, he believes the veteran keeper should only win a place in India's squad for the T20 World Cup if he is guaranteed a spot in the playing XI.

"DK (Karthik) has been batting well, but the thing with DK is the last time (2022) they picked him and the T20 WC was on he didn’t get to play,” Yuvraj noted.

"If DK is not in your XI I don’t think there is any point in picking him.

"There is Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samson and both guys are in great form and obviously they are younger.

"I would like to see DK in the mix, but if he is not going to play then you would rather have someone who is younger and can make the difference.”

Left-field selection option for India at T20 World Cup

Yuvraj wants to see more explosive batters utilised in India's middle-order at the T20 World Cup and has identified Chennai Super Kings left-hander Shivam Dube as one player that he wants to see feature.

"I would like to see Shivam Dube in the squad," Yuvraj said.

"He has been in and out of the (India) team, but this IPL he has been batting very well and he is someone who can be the game-changer.

"There are a lot of other guys who have been playing for a while now, but I would like to see Shivam Dube in the mix."

Future plans for Rohit and Virat

Yuvraj knows just how important Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli are to India's fortunes at this year's T20 World Cup and refused to put an end date on when he thinks the duo should retire from international cricket.

Instead, Yuvraj suggested Rohit and Kohli should consider giving up on playing T20I cricket after the completion of the T20 World Cup and concentrate on other formats.

"As you get older people start talking about your age and they forget about your form," Yuvraj started.

"These guys have been great players for India and they deserve to go (retire) when they want.

"I would like to see more younger players in the T20 format, because it gets the load off them (experienced players) playing 50-over (ODIs) and Test matches.

"After this (T20) World Cup I would like to see a lot of younger guys come into the team and make the T20 side for the next World Cup."

'Jadeja isn't good enough to bat...': Agarkar sent 'Axar Patel is a match-winner' suggestion ahead of T20WC selection​

Even as veteran cricketers and experts openly included his name in their preferred 15-member India squad for the upcoming T20 World Cup, a few former players have raised a fresh selection headache for BCCI chief selector Ajit Agarkar, who is all set to name India's squad on Wednesday. They have raised a question over Ravindra Jadeja's suitability at the No. 7 spot in the Indian batting lineup amid his poor run of form in the ongoing IPL 2024, insisting that the team needs a better ball striker at that position to make an impact on the scoring rate.

Former Australia cricketer Tom Moody is among the first to flag the concern amid reports that Agarkar met India captain Rohit Sharma on Sunday in New Delhi on the sidelines of the ongoing IPL 2024 tournament. He reckons that Jadeja's strike rate of 131.93 in IPL 2024 is not enough for him to take the finisher's spot in the playing XI for India.

“I'd be taking Jadeja purely because I'm looking for the best left-arm spinning option. He's the best left-arm spinner in the country. In my eleven, he's not batting at No.7. I don't think he's good enough to bat seven in a World Cup side. He's proven that with his strike rate. You need an impact-type player batting at seven,” he told Star Sports.

Part of the same panel, former India cricketer Irfan Pathan admitted that he is quite worried about Jadeja's batting numbers. In fact, the strike rate is exactly the same for the Chennai Super Kings star in India colours since 2022, where he has scored 141 runs in seven innings at No. 6 or 7.

“This is what I'm really scared about when it comes to World Cup. Look, my worry is with T20 World Cup, we pretty much sorted as far as the top-order batting is concerned. We pretty much sorted in the middle overs as well. If we're thinking Ravindra Jadeja is a number seven batter, you need a good finisher. His numbers are not that great as far as the strike rate is concerned at the international level," he added

Former BCCI selector Kris Srikkanth however backed Jadeja as a first-choice spin-bowling all-rounder despite labelling his competitor Axar Patel as a “match-winner”, owing to his sheer experience in international cricket.

He said: “I'll tell you what Jadeja will be in the 11, I mean adding on to whatever Irfan had said about his strike rate but Axar will also be in the 15. Axar is also potential match winner you have to understand that. Axar can bat brilliantly, bowl brilliantly, field brilliantly. But the first choice will go to Jadeja at number 7 by sheer experience and the way he's played international cricket in the past and he's a big match player. Jadeja is a big match player but similarly Axar Patel has done very well so both Jadeja and Axar Patel will be there. Probably the first nod will go to Jadeja for the first match and then probably Axar Patel. Both of them are equally important for me, it’s like my right eye and left eye which one do I choose?”

T20 World Cup Squad: 4 Big Decisions Ajit Agarkar, Rohit Sharma Are Torn About​

The deadline for the T20 World Cup 2024 squad announcement remains only two days away, with the International Cricket Council (ICC) setting May 01 as the final date for cricket boards. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) selection committee chief was spotted in New Delhi over the weekend to have a chat with Team India captain Rohit Sharma over certain selection calls. However, the board hasn't yet announced the 15-member unit it wishes to send to the West Indies and USA for the showpiece event.

As per a report in the Times of India, the selection committee is still undecided over four important areas of the game. Whether to stick with tried and tested combinations or bank on young players' IPL form and give them a go in the T20 World Cup, remains a tough call for the board and selectors to take.

Back-up Wicket-keeper: While Rishabh Pant's name has reportedly emerged at the top of the wicket-keeping pecking order, the selectors are said to be undecided between KL Rahul and Sanju Samson. Both are different kinds of players, with contrasting form too. While Samson's performance in the IPL has been exceptional, Rahul's experience is also valued by the board.

The Third Opener: Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli could open for India in the T20 World Cup but the third opener's spot is wide open. Yashasvi Jaiswal and Shubman Gill don't have form in their favour while the likes of KL Rahul and Sanju Samson could also be used at the top of the batting order. It remains an incredibly tough decision for the BCCI to make.

Pace bowling unit: Jasprit Bumrah is the No. 1 pick in the team while Mohammed Siraj seems to be edging the battle for the No. 2 spot but he doesn't have performances to back his case. Avesh Khan, Mukesh Kumar and Arshdeep Singh are some of the other options that are being considered.

The team management wants to trust the players it has groomed. There are concerns about Siraj and Arshdeep going for so many runs but one has to look at the context. In these matches, you have to think about defending the target set by your team-even if you do it by 10 runs. Jasprit Bumrah is different class. The others should not be compared with him. There won't be 'impact player' rule in the World Cup. Axar Patel, for example, has been exemplary with his economy rate," TOIquoted a source as aying.

The Power Hitters:The likes of Hardik Pandya and Ravindra Jadeja have looked off-coloured in the IPL this season. Their underperformance in the middle-order is a concern, prompting the selectors to seriously consider the likes of Shivam Dube and Rinku Singh. Even someone like Tilak Varma can be considered, owing to an excellent IPL form, but his chances are limited.

Imagine they usurp Kohli, would be the biggest betrayal since Hogan dropped the leg on Savage

This will be the worst ind team for a t20wc in a long long time. Washed up seniors, tuk tuk players galore, experience quota, power hitters pandya and jadeja lol..🙂 hammering for Ind awaits. None of the exciting youngsters will be picked.

It's will be another squad with seniors and experience players another choke but my mind says we won't choke because we won't going pass the group stage :ssmith

It's will be another squad with seniors and experience players another choke but my mind says we won't choke because we won't going pass the group stage :ssmith
You need experience in World Cups. You need players who have already played World Cups because they bring in the loads of experience of playing in World Cups.

/s

T20 World Cup Squad: 4 Big Decisions Ajit Agarkar, Rohit Sharma Are Torn About​

The deadline for the T20 World Cup 2024 squad announcement remains only two days away, with the International Cricket Council (ICC) setting May 01 as the final date for cricket boards. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) selection committee chief was spotted in New Delhi over the weekend to have a chat with Team India captain Rohit Sharma over certain selection calls. However, the board hasn't yet announced the 15-member unit it wishes to send to the West Indies and USA for the showpiece event.

As per a report in the Times of India, the selection committee is still undecided over four important areas of the game. Whether to stick with tried and tested combinations or bank on young players' IPL form and give them a go in the T20 World Cup, remains a tough call for the board and selectors to take.

Back-up Wicket-keeper: While Rishabh Pant's name has reportedly emerged at the top of the wicket-keeping pecking order, the selectors are said to be undecided between KL Rahul and Sanju Samson. Both are different kinds of players, with contrasting form too. While Samson's performance in the IPL has been exceptional, Rahul's experience is also valued by the board.

The Third Opener: Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli could open for India in the T20 World Cup but the third opener's spot is wide open. Yashasvi Jaiswal and Shubman Gill don't have form in their favour while the likes of KL Rahul and Sanju Samson could also be used at the top of the batting order. It remains an incredibly tough decision for the BCCI to make.

Pace bowling unit: Jasprit Bumrah is the No. 1 pick in the team while Mohammed Siraj seems to be edging the battle for the No. 2 spot but he doesn't have performances to back his case. Avesh Khan, Mukesh Kumar and Arshdeep Singh are some of the other options that are being considered.

The team management wants to trust the players it has groomed. There are concerns about Siraj and Arshdeep going for so many runs but one has to look at the context. In these matches, you have to think about defending the target set by your team-even if you do it by 10 runs. Jasprit Bumrah is different class. The others should not be compared with him. There won't be 'impact player' rule in the World Cup. Axar Patel, for example, has been exemplary with his economy rate," TOIquoted a source as aying.

The Power Hitters:The likes of Hardik Pandya and Ravindra Jadeja have looked off-coloured in the IPL this season. Their underperformance in the middle-order is a concern, prompting the selectors to seriously consider the likes of Shivam Dube and Rinku Singh. Even someone like Tilak Varma can be considered, owing to an excellent IPL form, but his chances are limited.

So Hardik Pandya and Jadeja are now powe hitters of Indian team? 😆 :inti

Rohit
Jaiswal
Virat
Sky
Pant/sanju
Rinku/kl
H pandya
Axar/jadeja
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Mayank yadav

Rohit
Jaiswal
Virat
Sky
Pant/sanju
Rinku/kl
H pandya
Axar/jadeja
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Mayank yadav
Pandya is not deserving tbh based on his current IPL form but he might get through just because of his reputation. KL versus rinku? I guess rinku because you can have both Sanju and pant in. Jadeja? Nope. mayank? No chance bro. Not worthy.

You need experience in World Cups. You need players who have already played World Cups because they bring in the loads of experience of playing in World Cups.

/s
Since 2013 that experience Hasn't won us anything meaningful

Surely Ind can't go on choking. This must be their time.
Unlike wc 2023, their not the strongest team this time.

If Australia picks Warner, Head, Fraser, Maxwell, Stoinis, Tin Drake, inglis and these type of players then their the strongest team.

All these players can vat through the innings and besides Marsh, all of em can strike at 140+ casually.

Unlike wc 2023, their not the strongest team this time.

If Australia picks Warner, Head, Fraser, Maxwell, Stoinis, Tin Drake, inglis and these type of players then their the strongest team.

All these players can vat through the innings and besides Marsh, all of em can strike at 140+ casually.
Australia are absolute favourites. Followed by England maybe.

Australia are absolute favourites. Followed by England maybe.
They two are favorites. With good captain West Indies outsiders. SA has potential. But mentally weak. NZ good enough to reach semis. That's it. Asian teams will be losing badly if every team plays to their potential.

They two are favorites. With good captain West Indies outsiders. SA has potential. But mentally weak. NZ good enough to reach semis. That's it. Asian teams will be losing badly if every team plays to their potential.

I still don't think any team is close to Australia. England have their weaknesses too especially if the decks are slow and spinning

SA can potentially match them but they can never select their best XV.

Windies might upset a few fancied names but they don't have OZ's consistency .

OZ have all based covered

I still don't think any team is close to Australia. England have their weaknesses too especially if the decks are slow and spinning

SA can potentially match them but they can never select their best XV.

Windies might upset a few fancied names but they don't have OZ's consistency .

OZ have all based covered
Watch out for Akeil hosein. He has done very well in these parts. Can bat too. His bowling suits these pitches.

Watch out for Akeil hosein. He has done very well in these parts. Can bat too. His bowling suits these pitches.
Agree. At their best , they can stun anyone. I just don't see them doing that for 5 consecutive matches , which is needed to win.

Pandya is not deserving tbh based on his current IPL form but he might get through just because of his reputation. KL versus rinku? I guess rinku because you can have both Sanju and pant in. Jadeja? Nope. mayank? No chance bro. Not worthy.
Mayank yadav is not a spray gun .. Intelligent bowler ..Need to invest in him as early as possible..

I hope not Kohli ( since Sharma is an automatic choice) and Jadeja ( Axar is way ahead in Batting). But knowing the timid selectors, they might again select the big-name accumulators over the exuberant youth.

Mayank yadav is not a spray gun .. Intelligent bowler ..Need to invest in him as early as possible..
Not to take him straight to the world cup. Is he ready to take that pressure? I guess not.

Back