[VIDEOS] Does Virat Kohli deserve to play in the ICC T20I World Cup 2024?

Does Virat Kohli deserve to play in the ICC T20I World Cup 2024?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
There are speculations in India that Virat Kohli will be dropped from the ICC T20I World Cup despite him currently holding the Orange Cap with 361 runs in seven matches at a strike rate of 147 in IPL 2024.

Now according to media reports, Kohli's future was discussed right after the ODI World Cup, as captain Rohit Sharma and coach Rahul Dravid met with the BCCI's chief of the selection committee. There was a consensus among the selection committee that Kohli's place at the T20 World Cup was not guaranteed.

Would it be the right decision to drop Virat Kohli from the ICC T20I World Cup 2024 squad?

He is still scoring runs at a good SR in IPL.

If RCB is not winning its because their bowlers suck, not because Kohli is slow.

Absolutely doesn't deserve to play. Plus rohit klrahul jadeja pandya all need to be dropped
But knowing ind selectors- all these guys will be back. Same old story. "Heroic" sf crash out. Rinse and repeat for CT 2025. The young fearless talent in ind deserves a shot- parag rinku samad dube abhishek jaiswal etc.. way better than these senior parasites..

He doesn't deserve to play, and he will be nullified on those slow caribean pitches.

But aleast he will be the No.3 and not the opener

Absolutely doesn't deserve to play. Plus rohit klrahul jadeja pandya all need to be dropped
But knowing ind selectors- all these guys will be back. Same old story. "Heroic" sf crash out. Rinse and repeat for CT 2025. The young fearless talent in ind deserves a shot- parag rinku samad dube abhishek jaiswal etc.. way better than these senior parasites..
That's 6 batsmen there. Add in sky samson & nitishreddy. You have got 9 attacking batsmen.. no tuk tuk anchors here. But except sky would not be surprised if none of the others are selected.

Yes 100% he deserves to play. People are getting carried away by IPL but international T20 is different. You need big match players like Kohli.
It is not about IPL. It is about moving on with next gen. This is not a format nobody takes seriously. You don't need experience. You don't need great technique either. You just need a well structured 11 which has depth in both departments. Sure they will fail. That's okay. But with Rohit and Kohli going India will fail by default anyway. Neither can bowl.

It is not about IPL. It is about moving on with next gen. This is not a format nobody takes seriously. You don't need experience. You don't need great technique either. You just need a well structured 11 which has depth in both departments. Sure they will fail. That's okay. But with Rohit and Kohli going India will fail by default anyway. Neither can bowl.
Bro can you please engrain this philosophy into our pakistani fans?

Atleast you look out for your team 😭😭. I'm here having to deal with people perpetually stuck on misbah/babar/rizwan

India can cash experience of Virat Kohli against Pakistan's bowling line up 😁

That is a myth bro...technique is required in every form of cricket. Would India have won the game had Kohli not been there in MCG against Pakistan? There were talks of dropping him even before that world T20 and everyone was rooting for youngsters. No tullybaaz can hit those 2 sixes against Haris Rauf when he was bowling so well.

Well who’s going to bat at number 3 for India?
SKY.

My 11 would be

1. Abhishek S
2. Jaiswal
3. SKY
4. Parag
5. Pant
6. Dube
7. Rinku
8. Kuldeep
9. Bumrah
10. Mayank
11. Avesh Khan/H Rana/Arshdeep/Axar/Bishnoi

Bumrah, Pant or Sky will captain.

:sa

SKY.

My 11 would be

1. Abhishek S
2. Jaiswal
3. SKY
4. Parag
5. Pant
6. Dube
7. Rinku
8. Kuldeep
9. Bumrah
10. Mayank

Tbf this is a good team but India is well known for its batsmen not being able to hit the ground running straight away in overseas conditions. It’s risky business. I still think Rohit and Kohli make this team. It’s one last tournament and you guys will be done with them I recon.

Tbf this is a good team but India is well known for its batsmen not being able to hit the ground running straight away in overseas conditions. It’s risky business. I still think Rohit and Kohli make this team. It’s one last tournament and you guys will be done with them I recon.
You and our selectors think alike and in archaic way.

We have underperformed in t20 wc's since 2016. Time to shake it up. I dont care that abhishek or parag are uncapped. i would rather die trying than wondering.

Bro can you please engrain this philosophy into our pakistani fans?

Atleast you look out for your team 😭😭. I'm here having to deal with people perpetually stuck on misbah/babar/rizwan
Simply India has many players available while in Pakistan the names you put forward are saud sharjeel for t20 capacity, Hadier Ali etc.

That is a myth bro...technique is required in every form of cricket. Would India have won the game had Kohli not been there in MCG against Pakistan? There were talks of dropping him even before that world T20 and everyone was rooting for youngsters. No tullybaaz can hit those 2 sixes against Haris Rauf when he was bowling so well.
Tullybazz Hardik totally outbatted kohli in the semi final. You cannot pick a player for one niche scenario while he can be harmful I wide range of other scenarios. He was statpadding wc semi final thinking 330 was a good total. But for Iyers assault we would have lost. Same way boundaries over for 30 overs in final. In T20 this approach gets exposed even worse. Right in this IPL he could not maximize 19th and 20th over despite playing all 20 overs.

Yeah tell the poster saud sharjeel should play as a captain for our t20 team when he hasn't even made his debut lol.😂😂

You provide great comic relief at time but the sas part is it's accidental.
Who tf is saud sharjeel? Never heard of him

Tullybazz Hardik totally outbatted kohli in the semi final. You cannot pick a player for one niche scenario while he can be harmful I wide range of other scenarios. He was statpadding wc semi final thinking 330 was a good total. But for Iyers assault we would have lost. Same way boundaries over for 30 overs in final. In T20 this approach gets exposed even worse. Right in this IPL he could not maximize 19th and 20th over despite playing all 20 overs.

Hardik is not tulleybaaz...who said? He is a must in the team as well.

ODIs have changed a lot since the advent of T20 cricket and especially in the last few years. 400 now in 50 over cricket is like what 300 used to be back in the late 90s/early 00s. However that is not the case in T20 cricket itself. In leagues it is a different story as we see crazy scores like 250 etc but in international T20s avg score is still around 160. So according to me players like Kohli & Rohit are still very much required especially given their temperament and experience.

My WT20 team for Bharat will be:

Rohit
Jaiswal
Kohli
SKY
Pant (wk)
Pandya
Allrounder (not keen on Jadeja anymore but ideally a spin all rounder)
Kuldeep
Chahal
Bumah
A fast bower (again not keen on Siraj...someone promising if Shami is not fit)

Play this team and we will cakewalk into the cup.

I can already see some posters are scared looking at that team :inti

#El-classico
#4thJune

:kp

Saud shakeel should be groomed as our captain yes. Imad is getting old, regardless saud is 100x the batsmen rizwan is and anyone on this planet will lead better then babar.
Saud shakeel should bat at 4 and captain Pakistan without playing a game. Got you.

Saud shakeel should be groomed as our captain yes. Imad is getting old, regardless saud is 100x the batsmen rizwan is and anyone on this planet will lead better then babar.
Saud Shakeel is a walking wicket against good fast bowling and can’t play the short ball well at all. He’s great on spinning pitches in the subcontinent but we all saw Saud and Rizwan’s performances on the Test tour in Australia against Cummins, Hazelwood, and Starc, there’s no comparison.

Saud Shakeel is a walking wicket against good fast bowling and can’t play the short ball well at all. He’s great on spinning pitches in the subcontinent but we all saw Saud and Rizwan’s performances on the Test tour in Australia against Cummins, Hazelwood, and Starc, there’s no comparison.
Should be captain and frontline batsmen

Seems like the criteria is to pick the worst player from last series and make him the captain while dropping the best ones. you can't argue with such logic

Seems like the criteria is to pick the worst player from last series and make him the captain while dropping the best ones. you can't argue with such logic
Yeah I realize now that they’ve just formed their clique and basically all tag each other begging for each other’s approval like school children.

I tried to be civil, but I realized that they feel comfortable saying all sorts of disgusting and offensive things, but become extremely sensitive if you fire back even the slightest.

Yeah I realize now that they’ve just formed their clique and basically all tag each other begging for each other’s approval like school children.

I tried to be civil, but I realized that they feel comfortable saying all sorts of disgusting and offensive things, but become extremely sensitive if you fire back even the slightest.
What we're those disgusting and offensive things? You never told me?

Well said. They need to spoken in their language.

Yes 100% he deserves to play. People are getting carried away by IPL but international T20 is different. You need big match players like Kohli.
All the trophies which India failed to win in the last 10 years are laughing in the corner. :inti

He deserves to be there along with Rohit Sharma ...They will atleast guarantee a sf spot for India and there are another 4-5 spots where your young and dynamic can display their exuberance and bring home the cup which they failed miserably in last many tournaments ..

Ideally No Kohli. No KL Rahul. No Hardik.

Rohit still in with a chance if he can replciate the 2023 WC form in T20s. If he can get 30 of 15 balls in every game - he wud justify his place

Yashasvi Jaiswal
Rohit Sharma / Shubman Gill
Ruturaj Gaikwad / Abhishek Sharma / Tilak Raj
Shivan Dube
SKY
Rinku
Rishab Pant
Bumrah
Kuldeep Yadav
Kuldeep Sen
Harshit Rana / Mayank Yadav

ODIs have changed a lot since the advent of T20 cricket and especially in the last few years. 400 now in 50 over cricket is like what 300 used to be back in the late 90s/early 00s. However that is not the case in T20 cricket itself. In leagues it is a different story as we see crazy scores like 250 etc but in international T20s avg score is still around 160. So according to me players like Kohli & Rohit are still very much required especially given their temperament and experience.

Rohit
Jaiswal
Kohli
SKY
Pant (wk)
Pandya
Kuldeep
Chahal
Bumah

#El-classico
#4thJune

Rohit
Jaiswal
Kohli
SKY
Pant (wk)
Pandya
Kuldeep
Chahal
Bumah

#El-classico
#4thJune

I know how it will go. They will post an.under par total with their 50s. Opposition will.mow down in 15 overs. Then they will.blame the bowlers. Rinse repeat.

Ideally No Kohli. No KL Rahul. No Hardik.

Rohit still in with a chance if he can replciate the 2023 WC form in T20s. If he can get 30 of 15 balls in every game - he wud justify his place

Yashasvi Jaiswal
Rohit Sharma / Shubman Gill
Ruturaj Gaikwad / Abhishek Sharma / Tilak Raj
Shivan Dube
SKY
Rinku
Rishab Pant
Bumrah
Kuldeep Yadav
Kuldeep Sen
Harshit Rana / Mayank Yadav
We saw how Rohit played in 2022.

New Zealand batter Henry Nicholls commented on the selection of Virat Kohli for the upcoming ICC T20I World Cup 2024 during an interview with a local Indian media outlet:

"Virat Kohli, he's been one of the greats of our game for a long time. I consider myself lucky to have played against him and know how much of a competitor he is. So I see his form at the moment in the IPL as well, scoring a lot of runs. Anytime he's playing well and, you know, leading from the front with the bat, that makes India even more of a dangerous team than they always are."

Kohli's last chance salon at an ICC title. BCCI will be under pressure from the sponsors to select him.

SKY.

My 11 would be

1. Abhishek S
2. Jaiswal
3. SKY
4. Parag
5. Pant
6. Dube
7. Rinku
8. Kuldeep
9. Bumrah
10. Mayank

This is the kind of lineup that can maximise India's chances at the World T20 .

Sadly, pressure from broadcasters/sponsors/PR agencies and some bhakts of senior players will never allow such a side to take shape.

[/QUOTE]
SKY.

My 11 would be

1. Abhishek S
2. Jaiswal
3. SKY
4. Parag
5. Pant
6. Dube
7. Rinku
8. Kuldeep
9. Bumrah
10. Mayank

This is my friends what we call Side effects of IPL

Well he has already started wearing studs and has even done that chapri cut on beard which my chapri classmates used to do 3 4 years ago in our college days. Which means he is trying very hard to look perfect for this young squad. Only Rohit is someone who can have 20 Vadapav every day and still get selected.

2011 World Cup and 2013 CT winning Indian sides had Kohli.

In 2011 he was in the right place at the right time, he wasn't really known much at the time and the other players played a more pivotal role.

Kohli for his legacy wants a WC title at the end of his career, perfect opportunity for him to announce his retirement from the limited overs format.

[/QUOTE]

Just like Azam Khan, Usman Khan, Saim Ayub are side effects of PSL?

[/QUOTE]
no need to call it a "side effect".

It is the direct effect of IPL + syed mustaq ali trophy. Every selection i have made has performed exceptionally for india or their Ranji side in SMAT and yes also IPL

@

RKhan_Cricket

In 2011 he was in the right place at the right time, he wasn't really known much at the time and the other players played a more pivotal role.

Kohli for his legacy wants a WC title at the end of his career, perfect opportunity for him to announce his retirement from the limited overs format.
But i don't think he could do a Sangakarra 2014 WC feat here.

He changed his game after that T20 World

His tyle is now lot more aggressive upfront like we saw in 2023 ODI WC
Rohit sharma still doesn't measure of to the other beasts. Show me where he can score 25 runs in one over. That Rohit sharma is long gone.

Just like Azam Khan, Usman Khan, Saim Ayub are side effects of PSL?
[/QUOTE]
Who even support these guys? One is wwe universal champion, second one is on limited visa and third one is still trying to figure should he smash or defend.
Why I said side effects of IPL. Because you are selecting squad by watching them scoring runs on phatta wickets they will turn into turtles when they will have to score runs on slow wickets. Your suryakumar yadav is a bilateral bully nothing else and other players cannot play on slow wickets because the players you just showed go and watch there performance on 2023 chennai pitches you will get your answer.

Rohit sharma still doesn't measure of to the other beasts. Show me where he can score 25 runs in one over. That Rohit sharma is long gone.
Your previous comment about T20 being a young man’s game was right.

Unfortunately for Pakistan, we don’t have a flood of young batting talent right now the way India does. Kohli and Rohit would walk into our batting lineup but I don’t think they make your team better at this point.

Unfortunately for Pakistan, we don’t have a flood of young batting talent right now the way India does. Kohli and Rohit would walk into our batting lineup but I don’t think they make your team better at this point.

T20 games are largely decided by impact players. Impact players are not necessarily going to be technical wizards. Pooran is not going to make a test 100 on a tricky pitch. But he can do the impossible of hunting down 75 runs in 5 overs. 2022 world T20 had early season Australian pitches (MCG, Perth.. example) which was overly assisting quick bowlers. It managed to quieten some of the beasts. But same beasts showed what they can do on a flat Adelaide wicket. Even Litton Das was making merry at adelaide oval before KL Rahul pulled off a sensational run out. India's batting approach was exposed in both the matches. LUcked out against Bangaldesh. But no such luc against England. Problem with these seniors they play all 3 formats. So there is always semblance of caution in their batting no matter how much they want to avoid. Virat KOhli picked Malinga for 24 runs in one over way back in 2012 to make sure India reaches 321 before 39 overs. Will he do now. Not a chance. He will hit a 6 and four at the most then a single. Rohit probably will hit one extra six and a single. That is how their mentality is. They won't give up their wicket easily if the bowlers don't nail them. They occupy the crease as long as possible while giving very little strike to others. Others will be in a position to get going right away outside power play against some challenging bowlers. When they fail, their fans blame others and give a pass to their innings.

About new youngsters, most of the Indian batsmen are under-19 products. They are doing very well in under-19. Even though the most recent batch is one of the worst they still reached final. THey have reached 5 finals in a row. They always managed to find 3 or 4 batsmen from these batches. Pakistan's under-19 cricket has taken a nose dive. I hardly see any promising batting talent. Pakistan has to fix that age group cricket first in order to increase flow of batting talent.

Pakistan for one would breathe a huge sigh of relief if Kohli isn’t selected.

But not in a million years would India risk doing that. Even if he had a terrible IPL it would be difficult, but if he’s the highest scorer? No chance.

I can’t wait until he’s dropped and India realise how much value he bought to the India Pakistan games anyway. Tendulker, then Dhoni and now Kohli. Finally India will be without their talisman who’s a thorn in Pakistan’s side.

He will play for cricketing or non-cricketing reasons 100% sure. They are trying to promote the game in USA and he is probably the most famous cricketer in the world.

This is not a chest thumping post but based on numbers and practicality so please no Babar or xyz is a better bat arguments please 🙏

He is half of the Indian team so the question would be can India go to the World Cup without Virat Kohli?

He will play for cricketing or non-cricketing reasons 100% sure. They are trying to promote the game in USA and he is probably the most famous cricketer in the world.

This is not a chest thumping post but based on numbers and practicality so please no Babar or xyz is a better bat arguments please 🙏
This is the only reason Kohli always get the nod. He is a highly marketable personality. I thought he would go on his own. Seems like he will hang around until selectors nudge him out after another ICC tournament failure.

It was all set. Virat Kohli was looking forward to spending his time with his new family after winning the WC on home soil, in the biggest cricket stadium in the world, with a billion home supporters glued to the media to witness Kohli lift the prized ICC ODI trophy thus ending his illustrious ODI career on an ultimate note with a bonus Modi bear hug to wrap it off.

it wasn't meant to be.

I think he would have retired had he won the WC in India, but he definitely deserves to play if he wants to.

I think rohot wanted to retire after 202e tbf, it's just the loss doesn't let him.

He wants one win

I think rohot wanted to retire after 202e tbf, it's just the loss doesn't let him.

He wants one win

KOhli and Rohit missed several T20 series. Everyone thought they were phased out. Here we are. Back to square one. Amount of sponsors these two represent will allow them to play as long as they want. Make no mistake. They can still have a fabulous world T20. It most certainly will not help India winning a world T20.

I think Virat will be in the squad. He is having a good IPL. Enough for him yo get into the squad.

Back