Wayne Parnell Discussion Thread

Keith

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Wayne Parnell is a left-hand batsman and medium-fast bowler with strong leadership qualities. He made his first-class debut for Eastern Province in 2006-07 and was also part of South Africa's Under-19 squad for the 2006 World Cup in Sri Lanka. The experience he gained over the years brought him him the captaincy for the Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia in 2008 and he led by example: taking 18 wickets, the most in the tournament, and scoring useful runs in the middle-order to steer South Africa into the final. His best performance came in the quarter-final against Bangladesh, when he took 6 for 8 after scoring 57. The South Africa selectors were already taking note and he went on the Emerging Players tour of Australia before a call-up to the senior one-day squad for the series in early 2009.

Wayne Parnell, in his first season of English county cricket, helped Kent to recover from a follow-on and beat Essex in a Division Two match at Chelmsford.
Essex made 370 with the South African left-arm seamer taking four for 78.
Kent, in reply, were all out for 205 and needed to follow on, but their outstanding batsman was Parnell, who hit 69 off 80 balls, including two sixes and nine fours.
Kent recovered in their second innings, making 512 for nine with Martin van Jaarsveld scoring 102 and Darren Stevens 136).
Essex, needing to make 348 to win, were dismissed for 155 with Parnell taking three for 56. The Antiguan Robert Hartman Joseph, who had opened the bowling with Parnell in the first innings, came on as first change and captured six wickets in the 192-run victory.

Parnell was always labeled as one for the future from the time he was spotted at Booysens Park in Port Elizabeth and made captain of the Eastern Province under-13 team. He is one of the few to represent South Africa at two under-19 World Cups (2006 and 2008) and he represented SA Schools as a product of the famous Grey High School for three years in a row.

His natural ability to swing the ball late at good pace and to adapt to differing conditions are his prime weapons and the best of his batting has not been required by the Proteas as yet. He is certainly a genuine all-rounder and this has been underlined by career best scores of 69 and 90 in his first two matches for Kent.

India and SA have all the talent in the world at their disposal.

Forget Parnell...we have a new pace bowler named Jacques Kallis. Guy was bowling like a demon yesterday...everything 140 plus.

Parnell clocks 154K

I dont know if anyone noticed parnell's speed when he bowled anderson?

The speed gun stated it was 154K. Even though it was a quick ball, I dont trust that reading!

He has a great future ahead and hes only 19... So i suppose we wont be seeing much of Ntini in the future...

NavSheikh786 said:
I dont know if anyone noticed parnell's speed when he bowled anderson?

The speed gun stated it was 154K. Even though it was a quick ball, I dont trust that reading!

The boy can be quick, if he wants to. He can reach 150km/h plus. Kallis reached 145 km/h yesterday as well.

I also have my reservations about the accuracy of the speed guns!!!!

Yeh he seems very quick, but most his speeds were around the 85-90mph.

Kalis also hit 146-147K! He can bend his back when he wants.

Guess we will have to wait for the T20 list of quickest deliveries to see who comes out on top

Acutally Kallis had 146+ delivery and i got surprised.

Hope they have the speed gun in tact when Pakistan take on SL later today.

SA has a deadly bowling attack- Steyn,Parnell,Ntini,,Kallis,Botha...Just cannot leave out Ntini...he has experience and pace.Morkel will be on bench.Also Duminy and Smith can chip in with their gentle spin bowling....SA on the whole looks a great side.

The ball that got Anderson did look quick; not sure if it was 154ks though...

Anyway Parnell looks a mighty fine prospect, bowled brilliantly yesterday.

South Africa have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to fast bowlers.

I remember when that phrase use to be used to describe Pak cricket .. wonder what happened :(

He's not so special when it's not swinging... Hope somebody puts him in his right place sooner rather than later!

LionHeart said:
He's not so special when it's not swinging... Hope somebody puts him in his right place sooner rather than later!

Did not swing yesterday. Very little (if any) seam movement. He is in his right place.

I knew this guy would do well before his international debut simply because he was so good for u19s and when SA pick a young guy, it's gonna be because he's brilliant. That then translated into good form in VB series and at home v Aus....I've been lucky enough to see him bowl on TV in this World Cup- amazing talent.

Even James Hopes have clocked 147K which is obviously impossible ,there are some serious flaws with the speed gun.

Hope you're right Keith. I really enjoyed Brett Schultz back in the day, hopefully this one won't pickup as many injuries.

LionHeart said:
Hope you're right Keith. I really enjoyed Brett Schultz back in the day, hopefully this one won't pickup as many injuries.

Yep. Brett was a scary bowler to face mate. He only wanted to knock your block off!! Pity about his injuries, but he had a much bigger frame than Parnell. Also the fitness levels of the 2 era's are vastly different.

PS: Brett also has 3 half brothers of which 2 emulated him and became more than usefull quickies in club cricket (super premier league) for many a year.

Great finishing today by Parnell and Theron won them the game against Aussies

Wayne Parnell is second person after Hashim Amla for not sporting 'CASTLE' logo;

138082.jpg

129355860.jpg

MashAllah! :14:

Well done Parnell bhai ! :19:

Wasn't he gonna change his name to Walid Parnel ?

He is not supporting the logo now also? This is what he said when he announced he is converting..

Parnell confirmed that he will "continue to respect the team's endorsement of alcoholic beverages." South Africa's Test team is sponsored by Castle Lager, a local beer.

He said this to ESPNCricinfo.

Really good on Castle for accommodating this, one player is okay but two could lead to a problem, any other sponsor would have made a big deal out of this, nice of Castle for being cooperative in this matter.

Last edited:
South Africa is my favourite team after Pakistan .

Hope they go on to replicate performance like this and win the ICC tournaments , they deserve it .

May Allah give istiqmaah in his imaan

Waleed Parnell or Wayne Parnell

Pretty basic question this. Since Wayne converted to Islam he has had his name changed to Waleed Parnell if im right. So why doesn't it appear as Waleed anywhere on Cricinfo, TV Broadcasts etc.

When Mohammed Yousuf converted his name was changed to appear as M.Yousuf within a few months, but with Parnell its been sometime now and im yet to see this change.

Anyone could shed light onto this?.

Pretty basic question this. Since Wayne converted to Islam he has had his name changed to Waleed Parnell if im right. So why doesn't it appear as Waleed anywhere on Cricinfo, TV Broadcasts etc.
There was an interview on SuperSport a few weeks back where he said that he hasn't changed his name yet, but will change it to Waleed when the time comes.

I was just about to create a post on Parnell opening and Albie Morkel coming one down - was AB's intention to ridicule NZ attack?

Parnell opening? Haha

Would probably send parnell and steyn to open against lesser attacks!

At the moment SA seem to have no idea what to do with him, how to utilize his talent in a best
Way.

Pretty sad to see his demise.

Saw him first in the 2009 CT and he looked a youngsta beauty :waqar

His bowling has been completely tripe and his batting hasn't set the world alight either and the emergence of McLaren has further dented his chances.

Have you seen him bowl this series or have you just looked at his last match and thought to yourself, he's garbage?....because he actually bowled brilliant in 2 games outta 3.

Pretty sad to see his demise.

Saw him first in the 2009 CT and he looked a youngsta beauty :waqar

His bowling has been completely tripe and his batting hasn't set the world alight either and the emergence of McLaren has further dented his chances.

i lol-ed when u said: its sad

so wearing logos of sponsors involved in alcohol business is taboo but consuming drugs is alright? another shining beacon for religious hypocrisy...

I Find Parnell more lethal than Tsosobe and Morkel... Morkel gets an advantage due to his height

Looking different at the PSL Playoffs for Karachi!

Emx4qdXUUAAY8GX

Back