"We managed to catch up later on but I think we were 10 runs short of setting up a good target": Babar Azam

I said sensible Indian fans I stick by that. It's another question we find them here. You think iyer with pathetic record in SENA is better than Babar?
No Indian I've ever met has wanted babar in their team.

What is a sensible Indian fan to you? I've met over 60 Indians who have said no?

Bro you said any indian would want Babar over iyer, now that we're offering you, you're saying you don't want that?
And who decides they are sensible? You?
No Indian I've ever met has wanted babar in their team.

What is a sensible Indian fan to you? I've met over 60 Indians who have said no?
Good for you. Till Iyer performs outside India no one will take him seriously.

And who decides they are sensible? You?
Good for you. Till Iyer performs outside India no one will take him seriously.
Brother that's a sample size of 60, you're being ignorant now. I'm not going to come to Uganda and fly you out to India and have you met all 1 billion plus Indians from Mukesh ambani to the begger in the slums to convince you.

Brother that's a sample size of 60, you're being ignorant now. I'm not going to come to Uganda and fly you out to India and have you met all 1 billion plus Indians from Mukesh ambani to the begger in the slums to convince you.
What sample? Your own made up one? You can go to your motherland India to ask some. Why do you need to go Uganda?

You won't convince me. Till Iyer proves he can play outside India than I will agree.

This what aboutism needs to end.

Babar failed today.

The easiest cop out is ... What about player X or player Y.

Player X or Y are not considered world class and are not averaging 50 as we are told in the ODI and 40+ in T20I.

When you start with what about this or that, you have no leg to stand on.

Funny to see Babar supporters trying to hide behind Usman a 2 match debutant who just started his career.

The dishonesty couldnt be more obvious.

And how foolish wahab riaz is giving it back to Babar Azam. Also Shaheen is not the right man to lead.
Main culprit is Wahab Riaz. This guy needs to be weeded out. An average cricketer at best, he has been extremely damaging for Pakistan cricket so far.

And how foolish wahab riaz is giving it back to Babar Azam. Also Shaheen is not the right man to lead.
I agree 100%. Shaheen has been struggling as af late and he should only prioritize his fitness and skill development as a player. Leadership roles require additional time and energy which Shaheen can't worry about at this stage of his career. Shaheen completely loses his brain after getting hit for couple of boundaries, that's what I notice when I see Shaheen bowl these days.

Pakistan needs a Greg Chappell type strong coach to eliminate player power and the influence of the senior troika of Babar, Rizwan ie this is the brand of Cricket I want every batsman to play ie Sr of 150-200 from ball one, you have to be super fit, if you don't fit the bill, then out you go.

We need to fix this issue of Rizwan at 3. The only position he plays is as an opener, otherwise he doesn’t fit in this team.

Our main issue is overs 7-15, as we routinely go between 6-7 RPO in that stage and lose games there and then.

Same excuses . Nothing changed in 5 years losing to this NZ D side is just pure embarrassment

Who is saying it right?

After suffering an embarrassing 7-wicket loss in the 3rd T20I against New Zealand:

Babar Azam, in the post-match interview, stated: "I don't think our slow scoring in the middle overs had a big impact because we managed to make up for it. We might have been around 10 runs behind where we wanted to be. Rizwan's injury threw us off a bit, and it was hard for new players to adapt quickly, but I think Shadab did a great job and formed a strong partnership with Irfan. In Pindi, a total of 180-190 is generally average. Overall, our batting was solid."

Azhar Mahmood, via the press conference, remarked: "We definitely slowed down between overs 7-15 and the ball was gripping a bit too. There is no excuse tonight and we will try to rectify these mistakes in the upcoming games. There is no doubt that we were 10-15 run

Who is saying it right?

After suffering an embarrassing 7-wicket loss in the 3rd T20I against New Zealand:

Babar Azam, in the post-match interview, stated: "I don't think our slow scoring in the middle overs had a big impact because we managed to make up for it. We might have been around 10 runs behind where we wanted to be. Rizwan's injury threw us off a bit, and it was hard for new players to adapt quickly, but I think Shadab did a great job and formed a strong partnership with Irfan. In Pindi, a total of 180-190 is generally average. Overall, our batting was solid."

Azhar Mahmood, via the press conference, remarked: "We definitely slowed down between overs 7-15 and the ball was gripping a bit too. There is no excuse tonight and we will try to rectify these mistakes in the upcoming games. There is no doubt that we were 10-15 run
Azhar mahmood was more logical. Atleast he admits their was something wrong with how Babar and rizwan played.

Who is saying it right?

Im surprised Babar didn’t say Rizwan told him that Iftikhar assessed the conditions and thought 190 would be a good score here

they are complacent... After the first win they thought their bowling line up is mighty and also the NZ line up wont surive the spin web etc etc... they thought 178 was more than enough and after losing it they are still thinking 188 would have been enough... They never really understood that this excellent batting surface needed 200+ should have been the target....

Can someone explain me why Amir was rested? Its not like he was playing cricket non-stop. Dude came out of retirement after 4 years. Resting Shaheen/Rizwan would have made more sense. Are Shaheen/Rizwan insecure of their place in team under Babar's captaincy?

To expect any member in the Pakistan team to put up a thought-provoking analysis is now stuff of folklore tales.

We're getting dumber by the day, at a rapid rate. And Bobby is exploiting it at every opportunity. If you can get away with a rinse-repeat statement for years, then you're indeed andho mein kaana raja.

There was a time when Imran, Miandad, Wasim used to innovate at their best. Even the Malik/Afridi era was not bad. It's gone downhill since then at an alarming rate.

-Babar could not read conditions
-Babar and Rizwan could not go aerial despite being under pressure
-Shaheen bowled the hitting length consistently without thinking

What does this say? That we're not just dheet, but dheets of highest order.

We need to fix this issue of Rizwan at 3. The only position he plays is as an opener, otherwise he doesn’t fit in this team.

Our main issue is overs 7-15, as we routinely go between 6-7 RPO in that stage and lose games there and then.

he doesn't fit in a t20 team especially in the top 3

the approach during the initial power play should be the following

In the first six overs, the rules allow only two fielders outside the 30-yard circle, creating a prime opportunity to score aggressively against the pace bowlers. By utilizing the pace of the ball, both openers should ideally target scoring at least 30 runs each during this phase.

This segment of the game sets the tone for the rest of the innings. Playing too cautiously, can boost the bowler's confidence. On the other hand, if the batsmen are more aggressive , it can pressure the bowler into making errors in their line and length.

Losing a couple of wickets isn't a major concern; being at 60/2 after six overs is still a strong position, considering we still have nine wickets in hand for the remaining overs.

Now, considering this strategy, do you think we need Babar or Rizwan opening if they aren’t going to play aggressively?

I have no problem with Rizwan opening, but he needs to up the aggression. We don't need him taking 40 balls to score 50; pakistan would benefit more with his 30 from 15 balls.

Who is saying it right?

Azhar Mahmood, via the press conference, remarked: "We definitely slowed down between overs 7-15 and the ball was gripping a bit too.
There is no excuse tonight and we will try to rectify these mistakes in the upcoming games. There is no doubt that we were 10-15 run

can someone remind me who was playing between the overs 7-15

can someone remind me who was playing between the overs 7-15
Its fine, Azhar handled it professionally.

Unlike our jokers and clowns who make tiktok videos 24/7, he's a respectful, tammez dar individual and handled the interview well.

Unlike babar who was in denial saying oh I don't think 7-15 mattered much cause shadab saved me, Azhar talked about what went wrong without name blaming and attracting unwanted attention.

He deserves full credit for speaking the truth but also not throwing someone under the bus. Tameez2is something our players lack, especially babar.

10 runs short and also ten hugs short.

Should have given his bowlers more confidence through his compelling aura and confidence boosting hugs. :inti

What is mind boggling is that how do you not improve even after captaining PCT for 4 straight years?
You do improve…you open the bowling with Saim for Peshawar Zalmi, and let the PR agents do all the talking+propaganda on social media for you.

Honestly - this guy is captain of Pakistan? Why does he feel he is suited to captaincy at all? Why can’t he just concentrate on his batting?

It’s like torture listening to him attempt to talk about cricketing strategy

Honestly - this guy is captain of Pakistan? Why does he feel he is suited to captaincy at all? Why can’t he just concentrate on his batting?

It’s like torture listening to him attempt to talk about cricketing strategy
Azhar Mehmood: We failed because from overs 7-15 we failed to score effectively.

Babar: I don't think we failed because of overs 7-15, because shadab caught up for us later on, we were only 10 runs short, maybe next time shadab can score 10 more?

Like babar bro, Please shut your mouth.

10 runs short?

I must have been watching the wrong match.

200 was the par score and Pak were nowhere near it.

It was very irresponsible of Babar Azam to put the blame on the bowlers by saying the batters covered it well. What did they cover? Setting a target of 178 on a 220 wicket and then expecting the bowlers to defend it is a real joke.

He was wrong about the batsmen?

Didn't you say we lose matches due to bowling. Yesterday's match was evident of that. Most set batters will take the game away if given multiple chances so the bowling needs to also be criticized. Can't just blame the batters especially when there's a score that should be defended

Didn't you say we lose matches due to bowling. Yesterday's match was evident of that. Most set batters will take the game away if given multiple chances so the bowling needs to also be criticized. Can't just blame the batters especially when there's a score that should be defended
Yeah now I am wrong and your heroes are always right

Honestly the way Pakistan bowled yesterday they could have easily allowed NZ to chase even 250 runs.

Whenever Pakistan plays with both Babar/Rizwan while BATTING FIRST

against teams

Australia/Afghanistan/BD/Eng/India/NZ/SA/SL/Windies

Played 31
Won 13
Lost 17
NR 1

W/L Ratio 0.764
Because they often hand the match to the opposition in the power play with their pathetic strike rate.

Pakistan need two dynamic openers who can make full use of the power play with full hara huri because in a 20 over if you gain early momentum so you can dominate the game.

Because they often hand the match to the opposition in the power play with their pathetic strike rate.

Pakistan need two dynamic openers who can make full use of the power play with full hara huri because in a 20 over if you gain early momentum so you can dominate the game.

In the 17 matches that Pakistan lost

Rizwan 50.08 avge 125.73 strike rate 478 balls
Babar Azam 28.35 avge 118.13 strike rate 408 balls

Overall balls 2047 balls

342 over 80 overs faced by Rizwan 68 overs faced by Babar.

In the 17 matches that Pakistan lost

Rizwan 50.08 avge 125.73 strike rate 478 balls
Babar Azam 28.35 avge 118.13 strike rate 408 balls

Overall balls 2047 balls

342 over 80 overs faced by Rizwan 68 overs faced by Babar.
a perfect example of statpadding by these 2 legends

Whenever Pakistan plays with both Babar/Rizwan while BATTING FIRST

against teams

Australia/Afghanistan/BD/Eng/India/NZ/SA/SL/Windies

Played 31
Won 13
Lost 17
NR 1

W/L Ratio 0.764

Can you share the query please? Recently seen you post alot of stats against RizBar but hardly with any source

These are all top level analysis. There are guys who do micro analysis like how certain players play over by over, strike rotation pattern, boundary hitting pattern. There are a lot of guys that do this for Indian cricket. It was an eye opener for me in many cases. I am not sure if any dedicated analysts do it for Pakistan. But if they don't , high time they do it.

Appreciate the explanation. Many thanks!!

Bro you see the evidence is right in front your eyes. Even non-Pakistanis, who have no horse in this race are telling us to wake up and smell the coffee.

I appreciate it might not be easy at first to accept but it’s a sign to embrace change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro you see the evidence is right in front your eyes. Even non-Pakistanis, who have no horse in this race are telling us to wake up and smell the coffee.

I appreciate it might not be easy at first to accept but it’s a sign to embrace change.

Bro we are changing and experimenting. The opening duo has been changed, we got new debutants, you got Amir back, what other changes are you wishing for?

As for Indian fans, I disagree.

RizBar scares the bejeesus out of them cause they're our most responsible batters. They're not concerned about the other tullaybaaz batters we have. They know that with our pace attack and RizBar we stand a chance. I don't believe their criticism is fair as they're not our well wishers

If you don't believe me, just wait till the WC when both Kohli and KL Rahul are included in the team at the expense of batters that have a higher strike rate. Their hypocrisy will be exposed. And @Major knows this too well

Bro we are changing and experimenting. The opening duo has been changed, we got new debutants, you got Amir back, what other changes are you wishing for?

RizBar scares the bejeesus out of them cause they're our most responsible batters. They're not concerned about the other tullaybaaz batters we have. They know that with our pace attack and RizBar we stand a chance. I don't believe their criticism is fair as they're not our well wishers

If you don't believe me, just wait till the WC when both Kohli and KL Rahul are included in the team at the expense of batters that have a higher strike rate. Their hypocrisy will be exposed. And @Major knows this too well

Absolutely not. If i have to rank the fearful pakistan batsmen they will come behind atleast 10 or 15 batsmen. Babar and Rizwan rely largely on their bowlers creating a top order collapse. Because these 2 are highly predictable. Everyone knows what to expect.

they have had very limited impact against us. No indian fan is scared of them, shoaib malik used to scare us more

Malik was a certified India basher, no doubt about that. But he didn't win any WC match against India.

RizBar have achieved what no other Pakistani greats have and it wouldn't be surprising if they can do it again.

How, we are fans and not selectors. We won't be selecting the players

Just visit any social media platform, most of the memes and criticism against RizBar is from Indian fans.

RizBar have achieved what no other Pakistani greats have and it wouldn't be surprising if they can do it again.
They were pretty close to doing it 2nd time as well had our bowling not botched that game.

But Yes, Babar and Co were 10 runs short in 3rd t20 against New Zealand. The score should have been around 200 there.

They were pretty close to doing it 2nd time as well had our bowling not botched that game.

But Yes, Babar and Co were 10 runs short in 3rd t20 against New Zealand. The score should have been around 200 there.

ODI World Cup too bro. When both were at the crease 300 was looking possible. As soon as they got out, India rolled out the rest and triggered a collapse.

Malik was a certified India basher, no doubt about that. But he didn't win any WC match against India.

That was their only good innings against india but even then most of the credit goes to shaheen and the bowlers, otherwise been impactless

Indian fans don't select the Indian team. The pressure to select incumbent stars is huge in India. ICC media partners , sponsors , IPL franchises etc are all stakeholders here to an extent not seen in any other team .

that was the only time pakistan defeated india in WC.that was the whole point
No, the point is that no indian is scared of rizbar, winning 1 wc match means little. Was any indian scared of mortaza?

They are not match winners and destructive batsmen

Back to the topic now. That world cup is gone.

Babar should focus on reinventing his captaincy tactics. Tbh babar was doing fine until the fielder came to the party and spoiled the whole game by dropping easiest of catches

Absolutely not. If i have to rank the fearful pakistan batsmen they will come behind atleast 10 or 15 batsmen. Babar and Rizwan rely largely on their bowlers creating a top order collapse. Because these 2 are highly predictable. Everyone knows what to expect.

We had predictable batters before with higher strike rates like Shahid Afridi who all of India and Pakistan knew would hole out after a couple of shots.

The predictability with RizBar is that they value their wicket and can take the game deep giving enough runs for our pacers to stand a chance. This kind of predictability gives our team stability which we can build a plan around. We lacked this before in Pak India encounters.

Tullaybaaz batters don't give that sort of confidence. And since India now has a World class pace attack Pak batters of lower quality don't stand a chance. So yes IMO I believe Rizwan and Babar are the biggest threats to India and will be the ones Indian analysts will be most worried about.

We had predictable batters before with higher strike rates like Shahid Afridi who all of India and Pakistan knew would hole out after a couple of shots.

The predictability with RizBar is that they value their wicket and can take the game deep giving enough runs for our pacers to stand a chance. This kind of predictability gives our team stability which we can build a plan around. We lacked this before in Pak India encounters.

Tullaybaaz batters don't give that sort of confidence. And since India now has a World class pace attack Pak batters of lower quality don't stand a chance. So yes IMO I believe Rizwan and Babar are the biggest threats to India and will be the ones Indian analysts will be most worried about.

I would be more scared of Travis Head, Maxwell heck even Litton Das, Ramanulla Gurbaz before being scared of these 2 who can easily be contained.

Rizwan and babar don't scare anyone lol, India views our whole team as a minnow team and when we beat them its considered an upset, in the same way Zimbabwe has upset India in the past or Bangladesh upset India slightly after the 2022 wc.

Travis head scares the beejesus out of Indians not babar and rizzu due to the humiliating bashing Travis head has given them innthe past as well as how he's making IPL bowlers look like a joke.

Almost all six hitters would scare us. Because when they get going it makes you feel helpless as a fan. Jayasuriya was a single most feared batsman for all Indians in the 2000s because of that. When a batsman comes in treats your bowling with utter contempt that is when you are scared. Many pakistanis have done that. Salim Malik chased 72 runs in 6 overs in the 80s to pull off a thriller. On that list these 2 will come way down.

Afridi gave India a trip to the hospital once with his 45 ball 100, he also was a contributing factor in their defeat in the asia cup, and in 2011 his bowling troubled their star batsmen the most.

Babar has a hilarious record against India, and the reason he does is because India is the only team that babar has never had the privilege to face their c string.

Almost all six hitters would scare us. Because when they get going it makes you feel helpless as a fan. Jayasuriya was a single most feared batsman for all Indians in the 2000s because of that. When a batsman comes in treats your bowling with utter contempt that is when you are scared. Many pakistanis have done that. Salim Malik chased 72 runs in 6 overs in the 80s to pull off a thriller. On that list these 2 will come way down.
Bro babar and rizwan don't scare anyone beyond scaring their own fans.

Holding the wicket and batting through the innings, in a t20 lol.

This is the problem. The Pakistani team never admits that they were actually shorter than 10-15 runs. They continue to stay blissful about the situation.

This reminds me of a talk with Babar and Fakhar where they recalled that Babar was telling Fakhar to stop the onslaught or slow it down against New Zealand in the WC.

Bro babar and rizwan don't scare anyone beyond scaring their own fans.

Holding the wicket and batting through the innings, in a t20 lol.

Yea. I have never heard of anyone saying Amla is an intimidating factor. Certain batsmen can score big runs. Bat long. But that won't make them intimidating.

ODI World Cup too bro. When both were at the crease 300 was looking possible. As soon as they got out, India rolled out the rest and triggered a collapse.
Bro I wanna say something.

You have a point about 2021 wc no doubt, generally you do.

But 2016-2021 are irrelevant now.

One thing fans don't understand is that babar from 2022 onwards suffered a huge dip on form, Previously he a was a decent accumulator who could he trusted to hold the line, currently he is no where close.

He had a miserably 2022 outing, he's having a miserable outing atm and he won't perform this series as long as Bracewell is here because babar has no backfoot play against spin. @y33ny POTW discusses all of babar's problems and changes over time. Please give that a read.

He hasn't done well since his Nepal E Azam nonsense. I saw the India game, he looked clueless against spin, and he was a pandya bunny through the asia cup as well. Credit to him for playing and handling bumrah and siraj though.

But pandya or the spinners will have no problem getting rid of him. He's not babar of 2021 or 2019 like you think he is. Nepal E azam meme will live for a long time lol

I think we are diverting the whole chat to past stuff. The thread is about the last game and the topic should not be derailed now.

Yea. I have never heard of anyone saying Amla is an intimidating factor. Certain batsmen can score big runs. Bat long. But that won't make them intimidating.
Amla is a gun player and babar isn't in boot licking distance of him, Never understood why people compared the 2.

Amla even in his limited t20 career batted at a higher Sr then babar.

In odi he consistently maintained 49 avg and 88 Sr in nearly every condition against top sides and he's overall record against every team is consistent. This man use to be give England and Pakistan nightmares back in his golden days, if he was on the crease he'd take the side home or was more then capable of putbatting the opposition.

Problem with amla is that he got overshadowed once quinton, devillers type players started to become more mainstay and adopt a bazzball approach.

But he's gun, Babar inflated avg is pathetic against India because India is the only team babar has never had the privilege of playing against their C string side. Which is why he gets exposed against India and performs the most poorly against them.

When babar bats, you never once feel like he'll take the game away from you or will never allow you to win the game as long as he's still at the crease. With amla, unless you get him out, he'll win the game lol.

I think we are diverting the whole chat to past stuff. The thread is about the last game and the topic should not be derailed now.

Yes. Hence I shared the stats when they set the target. This is a problem with Indian side as well. They also set below par instead of going hard. That is why many fans don't want the usual suspects.

Amla is a gun player and babar isn't in boot licking distance of him, Never understood why people compared the 2.

Amla even in his limited t20 career batted at a higher Sr then babar.

In odi he consistently maintained 49 avg and 88 Sr in nearly every condition against top sides and he's overall record against every team is consistent. This man use to be give England and Pakistan nightmares back in his golden days, if he was on the crease he'd take the side home or was more then capable of putbatting the opposition.

Problem with amla is that he got overshadowed once quinton, devillers type players started to become more mainstay and adopt a bazzball approach.

But he's gun, Babar inflated avg is pathetic against India because India is the only team babar has never had the privilege of playing against their C string side. Which is why he gets exposed against India and performs the most poorly against them.

When babar bats, you never once feel like he'll take the game away from you or will never allow you to win the game as long as he's still at the crease. With amla, unless you get him out, he'll win the game lol.

I totally know that :) But he was never hyped like King Amla etc. Babar in terms of batting attitude he is similar. In terms of achievement he is nowhere close to Amla yet. Amla scored 3 back to back Test centuries in India. ICC rankings/Stats have blinded people. He is okay for 2 formats. In T20 he is a misfit. When he combines with Rizwan it makes them look doubly bad.

I totally know that :) But he was never hyped like King Amla etc. Babar in terms of batting attitude he is similar. In terms of achievement he is nowhere close to Amla yet. Amla scored 3 back to back Test centuries in India. ICC rankings/Stats have blinded people. He is okay for 2 formats. In T20 he is a misfit. When he combines with Rizwan it makes them look doubly bad.
Their not similar in batting attitude. Amla doesn't play spin as if he's trying to decipher the black hole theory

He also knew how to structure odi innings and play test better then babar. In t20 he was bad but he's still faster then babar and better at pp then Bobby is in t20 lol.

Their not similar in batting attitude. Amla doesn't play spin as if he's trying to decipher the black hole theory

He also knew how to structure odi innings and play test better then babar. In t20 he was bad but he's still faster then babar and better at pp then Bobby is in t20 lol.

Yes. Amla hardly displayed any weaknesses. He was impossible to get out as he had typical subcontinent flair to play spin. Used the crease brilliantly. Because of ABDV's presence he looked lesser. Otherwise he was a class act. They had guys like Graeme smith, Kallis as well. Difficult to stand apart.

Amla was a great player of spin and a gun test batsman who won matches for sa in eng, ind and aus.

Scored 311 in eng and 253 in ind, incredible at his peak

I just want to know who’s bright idea it is to think we are so special that we don’t need to score as heavily as everyone else.

What kind of pathetic strategy is this? It’s been years. Does noone in Pakistan cricket have a brain?

I just want to know who’s bright idea it is to think we are so special that we don’t need to score as heavily as everyone else.

What kind of pathetic strategy is this? It’s been years. Does noone in Pakistan cricket have a brain?
All brains fail against the great brain of Babar Azam

All brains fail against the great brain of Babar Azam
We are exempt bro - if we change tactics we will lose the great Zimbabar Azam.

No other team can boast having this calibre of player in their team

Back