"We'll have to be at our best to get on top of Pakistan" : Steve Smith

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Adelaide: Skipper Steve Smith said his newly energised Australia side can only get better after a spirited win over South Africa in the day-night third and final Test in Adelaide on Sunday.

The Australians ended a five-Test losing streak with a commanding seven-wicket victory over the Proteas, after being well beaten in the previous two Tests and losing the series.

The second Hobart Test debacle, where they capitulated to an innings defeat in four days, triggered five team changes including three batting debutants: Matthew Renshaw, Peter Handscomb and Nic Maddinson.

Smith’s recharged team chased down the 127 runs required for victory on the fourth day of the pink-ball Test to give promise of better things to come.

The Australians have a three-match one-day series against New Zealand at home next month before a three-Test series against Pakistan starting December 15, in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.

We can grow on what we’ve done in this Test match. It’s been a great start for a young group that have come together,” Smith told reporters.

You don’t grow overnight. I think it’s a good opportunity for this side to play a little bit together and continue to improve and know each others’ games, get better as a team.

It was a great start but there’s still plenty of work to do.

Pakistan have been playing some good cricket, some quality players and we will have to be at our best to get on top of them as well.

It was an encouraging first Test for two of the young newcomers, with opener Renshaw showing plenty of application in his knocks of 19 and 34. Number four Handscomb hit a half-century, took a great catch and then scored the winning run at his second time at bat.

I thought Matt played really well,” Smith said of Renshaw. “He knows his game very well, obviously got beaten a lot but he wasn’t chasing the ball and he was keeping his line.

There were some quality bowlers that nip the ball quite a bit so you can’t afford to follow the ball.

Smith said he felt the injection of new players energised the team after the Hobart nightmare. “I felt a sort of a switch straight away in energy and presence around the group,” he said.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/australia/energised-side-can-only-get-better-smith-1.1936055

Last edited:
WHYY OH WHYY Did South Africa beat them so bad that Australia made wholesale changes!!

All the dead wood in the team has been removed for eg Voges, Nevill, Mitch marsh, Meannie and Siddle

Now Pakistan will face a better team

WHYY OH WHYY Did South Africa beat them so bad that Australia made wholesale changes!!

All the dead wood in the team has been removed for eg Voges, Nevill, Mitch marsh, Meannie and Siddle

Now Pakistan will face a better team

Their team is still quite vulnerable.

Lol not really. Smith saying it for the ratings, should still be a stroll for Aussies.

I hope we show more spine with the bat vs Aus though. Won't be entirely let down if we lose this series as it is expected.

The hard tour is over. Which was against NZ on green pitches.

Swing and seam troubles us.

The flat decks of Australia are tailor made for our batsmen and they'll enjoy the pace too.

Starc will be shown his place. :usman

Steve is being sarcastic. Australia have to be no more then decent to defeat this Pak side. Bouncy tracks means Pak will again struggle to score above 250. Aussie batting and bowling is superior to that of NZ.

Er.....No You don't...

Smith and Co just needs to show up and the rest we'll take care of eventually :ma

The hard tour is over. Which was against NZ on green pitches.

Swing and seam troubles us.

The flat decks of Australia are tailor made for our batsmen and they'll enjoy the pace too.

Starc will be shown his place. :usman

He will be for sure. Most likely on top of the wicket taker's list!!!:))

Australia could probably embarrass us without even having Starc, Warner, Smith and Hazelwood in their side.

Pakistan just play too negative, we don't have the batsman or bowlers.

I can only :facepalm: and :)) at those here who think we've any chance against the Aussies. Even on their worst they'll beat Pak up like their daddy!:p Even now not a single Pak player is good enough to get in to the Aussie side. Face facts, we're only any good in the UAE.

I can only :facepalm: and :)) at those here who think we've any chance against the Aussies. Even on their worst they'll beat Pak up like their daddy!:p Even now not a single Pak player is good enough to get in to the Aussie side. Face facts, we're only any good in the UAE.

Azhar Ali isn't a better opener than Renshaw?
Yasir Shah isn't a better spinner than Lyon?
Sarfraz not a better keeper than Wade?
Shafiq not a better player than Handscombe or Maddinson?

Try again

Try again

Haven't seen much of the current Aussie side but no matter who they play they'll beat us stupid in their own back yard! We're playing in Australia, not Dubai, Perhaps, a few of our players may be lucky to get in to the Aussie side if the series was in the UAE.

Haven't seen much of the current Aussie side but no matter who they play they'll beat us stupid in their own back yard! We're playing in Australia, not Dubai, Perhaps, a few of our players may be lucky to get in to the Aussie side if the series was in the UAE.

Of course the Australians are strong at home. But PP was writing us of for the England tour and look what happened

Of course the Australians are strong at home. But PP was writing us of for the England tour and look what happened

Historically we have done well against England even when playing away. In Australia we always seem to struggle unable to deal with the very bouncy tracks. We don't have the batsmen who can cope. We seem to think just because the RSA have done well in Australia we will do so as well, I would love to be proved wrong.

Historically we have done well against England even when playing away. In Australia we always seem to struggle unable to deal with the very bouncy tracks. We don't have the batsmen who can cope. We seem to think just because the RSA have done well in Australia we will do so as well, I would love to be proved wrong.

Yep I agree with this. But Australia have vulnerabilities which can be exposed. I know we can be exposed as well but the pressure is on Australia as they are the home side and are expected to beat us.

The pink ball test is our best chance of a win.

Try again

But the question is, can Pakistan take 20 wickets on those wickets which is generally a graveyard for visiting spinners? (Talking abt Yasir. Ok Yasir is good, but to expect him to take half the wickets is a bit too much). Do Amir, Wahab, Rahat, Imran and Sohail have it in them to take 20 Australian wickets?
Do they have a plan B when Smith starts dominating, by walking across and frustrating them?

If the answer is yes, then Pakistan surely deserves to be lauded. As we saw in the India series, scoring truckload of runs is no good as long as your bowlers don't take 20 wickets. One bad session lost us the Brisbane test, meaning when bowlers cannot get you 20 wickets, you are always on the backfoot and over dependent on the batsmen, thus one or 2 mistakes can cause a loss. WE all know Starc and Hazelwood are indeed highly capable in their own backyard.

Hope it is a good series. Good luck to Pakistan. Yasir should enjoy the bounce. PAkistan HAVE to catch well, which they haven't done in the recent past.

Back