West Indies drop to 86 rating points after Tri-series, 3 points behind Pakistan [update#35]

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The West Indies will be eyeing the opportunity to wrest back the lead against Pakistan in the ICC ODI team rankings table when it plays in a tri-series featuring Sri Lanka and host Zimbabwe from November 14 to 27.

Pakistan had overtaken the West Indies to eighth position after a 3-0 win in a recent series in the United Arab Emirates but four league matches in the upcoming tri-series as well as a potential final could help the West Indies surge ahead as the two former world champions vie for automatic places in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

Host England and the seven highest-ranked sides on the ICC ODI team rankings as on 30 September 2017 will qualify directly for the World Cup while the bottom four sides will compete with six other sides from the ICC World Cricket League in the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2018. The top two sides from the Qualifier will complete the 10-team line-up for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

The West Indies, which is just one point behind Pakistan with 88 points, could go up to 92 points if it wins all four league matches. A win in the final against higher-ranked Sri Lanka after winning all its league matches will lift it to 94 points, within one point of seventh-ranked Bangladesh.

Wins against Sri Lanka will earn more points for the West Indies because it is 13 points behind Sri Lanka and the rankings system is weighted to reflect this difference.

If the West Indies loses a match each to both teams, it will slip to 87 points unless it goes on to win the final against Sri Lanka, in which case it will move up to 89 points but remain behind Pakistan on decimal points. If it qualifies for the final in such a scenario but beats Zimbabwe in the final, it will find itself on 87 points.

In the individual rankings, spinner Sunil Narine will be working towards moving back to the top in the MRF Tyres ICC Player Rankings for ODI Bowlers. Narine, who was at the top for almost a year before he was overtaken last month by Trent Boult is only 10 points behind the New Zealand pace bowler.

Captain Jason Holder (24th) will be another bowler to look out for in the West Indies team, while the absence of injured captain Angelo Mathews (26th) and spinner Sachithra Senanayake (28th) will see pace bowler Suranga Lakmal leading the Sri Lanka bowlers in 35th position.

In the MRF Tyres ICC Player Rankings for ODI Batsmen led by South Africa’s AB de Villiers, West Indies batsman Darren Bravo (45th) will be the highest-ranked in the tournament after experienced Marlon Samuels (25th) was not picked for the tri-series.

For Sri Lanka, Lahiru Thirimanne (46th) will be the highest ranked batsman in the absence of Mathews (20th) and vice-captain Dinesh Chandimal (39th), while for Zimbabwe, Sean Williams will be the highest-ranked batsman at 54th position.

MRF Tyres ICC ODI Rankings (as of 12 November 2016, before the tri-series featuring Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and West Indies)

Rank Team Points

1. Australia 118

2. South Africa 116

3. New Zealand 112

4. India 111

5. England 107

6. Sri Lanka 101

7. Bangladesh 95

8. Pakistan 89

9. West Indies 88

10. Afghanistan 52

11. Zimbabwe 46

12. Ireland 42

Pakistan just need to focus on the series against Australia. A couple of wins (however unlikely they are) would be priceless.

Pakistan just need to focus on the series against Australia. A couple of wins (however unlikely they are) would be priceless.

Let's say Pakistan loses to Aus 3-2.

Would it still have a net gain in rankings?

I am quite sure it would be a positive result for Pakistan in terms of the rating, owing to the difference between the two sides.

Wins for lower-ranked sides against high-ranked teams count for a lot.

I am a bit sceptical about the rankings predictor but it seems to suggest the same thing as well.

There is a lot of time between now and 30th of September 2017 to be worrying about 1-2 points. Teams should concentrate to becoming a better team now, and then look at points next summer.

Pakistan should look at Aus and NZ as a tour to give chances to the right players. Take CT 2017 as a long term goal.

Ban and Pak are both better than SL. :facepalm:

Bangladesh have a series coming up against Sri Lanka soon. If Bangladesh win they overtake Sri Lanka.

I agree that Pakistan are better Sri Lanka at the moment. Sri Lanka are living off their past performances.

Bangladesh have a series coming up against Sri Lanka soon. If Bangladesh win they overtake Sri Lanka.

I agree that Pakistan are better Sri Lanka at the moment. Sri Lanka are living off their past performances.

Not really!!!! Under Azhar there is no guarantee.

pakistan would move up 2 points to 91 in such a scenario

Honestly our best hope is Zimbabwae beating WI at least once, they will drop points from that

I am quite sure it would be a positive result for Pakistan in terms of the rating, owing to the difference between the two sides.

I am a bit sceptical about the rankings predictor but it seems to suggest the same thing as well.

What if it go to 5-0 or 4-1 ?

What if Bangladesh goes for 2-1 win in NZ ??

In West Indies. May I think

4 tests. Unsure about how many ODIs

Pretty sure it's supposed to be in March but can't get any uptodate info. Am thinking of going to see a couple of games but it would depend on the schedule.

Its farcical to see nz at 3, both ind and eng are better than them.

Pakistan just need to focus on the series against Australia. A couple of wins (however unlikely they are) would be priceless. Let's say Pakistan lost to aussies 3-2, would it still have gain in ranking.

Now, I do feel that the ranking system is a bit flawed, in a sense that it covers too long period. The way teams are changing colors, 3/4 years is too long a period - it should be max 2 years with 6 months slots for 100%, 75%, 50% & 25% weightage.

For example, NZ is 4th & SRL 6th in ranking - but these 2 teams will be comprehensively beaten by teams below them right now - definitely away & may be even home as well.

So there's no equal weight in terms of home and away wins like there is for the Test Ranking?

So there's no equal weight in terms of home and away wins like there is for the Test Ranking?

Yes there is. Home and away doesn't matter.

But high-ranked vs low-ranked matters a lot - in both Test and ODI ranking.

That is why any result other than 3-0 in the Tests vs WI would have cost Pakistan rating points (which is what happened).

Bangladesh's recent Test win against England was massive in terms of the ratings points they gained.

Same goes for ODIs. The bigger the margin between the two sides, the more damaging a loss is for the higher-ranked side.

Can be changed - I think the recent UAE series vs WI was initially supposed to be 2 Tests, 5 ODIs and 2 IT20s.

I know, that's why I said according to the FTP. The actual dates haven't been put out so no confirmation but we can only go by the information we have.

I think we beat SL in SL last time under Azhar. That too w/hacks like Anwar Ali.

SRL was also going through the transition then, just after WC. Since then, they have found 2/3 very good LO players - this guy Dhanajaya, Kusal Mendis, Pathirana, Aponso, Dilruhan ... these are very good utility LO players. I think, now they will give Azhar's PAK a good run at home at least.

SRL was also going through the transition then, just after WC. Since then, they have found 2/3 very good LO players - this guy Dhanajaya, Kusal Mendis, Pathirana, Aponso, Dilruhan ... these are very good utility LO players. I think, now they will give Azhar's PAK a good run at home at least.

Shoaib Malik and Sarfraz Ahmed won't struggle against spin though.

West Indies down to 86 points now after today's defeat.

Now, I do feel that the ranking system is a bit flawed, in a sense that it covers too long period. The way teams are changing colors, 3/4 years is too long a period - it should be max 2 years with 6 months slots for 100%, 75%, 50% & 25% weightage.

For example, NZ is 4th & SRL 6th in ranking - but these 2 teams will be comprehensively beaten by teams below them right now - definitely away & may be even home as well.

bro you were too much worried for pakistan but it seems like west indies are not interested in playing

worldcup directly

Right now luckily we have small lead over them

Pakistan 89

west indies 86

A loss to Zimbabwe was always going to be costly for WI and that's exactly what has happened.

bro you were too much worried for pakistan but it seems like west indies are not interested in playing

worldcup directly

Right now luckily we have small lead over them

Pakistan 89

west indies 86

Cricket is a dying game in WI - today or tomorrow it'll not exist there. Besides, WI is not a country, it's a combination of 7/8 countries who hardly bother for the Team any more.

Cricket in South Asia is a second religion, one of the main reason is in any other sports, we are among top 10 in wrong order; for a population of 1.7bn.

Regarding PAK's WC qualification, I responded you last time - if PAK is 12th in ranking, ICC will change the selection criteria to include PAK; or make the qualifier as such that PAK qualifies - simply because in Cricket, without few South Asian teams, WC hardly exists. Even English & Aussies hardly bothers for Cricket outside Ashes. If WI doesn't qualify, I am not sure how many nextGen Jamaican, Antiguan or Barbadian or non Indian origin Trinidadian, Guyanese would bother for that. With their power, reflex, hand-eye coordination - just for last couple of decades, they have realized how much Viv, Lara, Marshall, Holding, Garner, Gayle, Powel, Bravo, Barthwaite, Pollard ..... could have earned even from the 3rd or 4th tier Minor Baseball leagues in USA or Japan.

Qualification is not the issue for Pakistan - the issue is somewhere else - something I used to respond you in that post, which you didn't respond thereafter. Still, if it doesn't bother you, who am I to drag it .............

Sorry for the long response.

Last edited:
Cricket is a dying game in WI - today or tomorrow it'll not exist there. Besides, WI is not a country, it's a combination of 7/8 countries who hardly bother for the Team any more.

Cricket in South Asia is a second religion, one of the main reason is in any other sports, we are among top 10 in wrong order; for a population of 1.7bn.

Regarding PAK's WC qualification, I responded you last time - if PAK is 12th in ranking, ICC will change the selection criteria to include PAK; or make the qualifier as such that PAK qualifies - simply because in Cricket, without few South Asian teams, WC hardly exists. Even English & Aussies hardly bothers for Cricket outside Ashes. If WI doesn't qualify, I am not sure how many nextGen Jamaican, Antiguan or Barbadian or non Indian origin Trinidadian, Guyanese would bother for that. With their power, reflex, hand-eye coordination - just for last couple of decades, they have realized how much Viv, Lara, Marshall, Holding, Garner, Gayle, Powel, Bravo, Barthwaite, Pollard ..... could have earned even from the 3rd or 4th tier Minor Baseball leagues in USA or Japan.

Qualification is not the issue for Pakistan - the issue is somewhere else - something I used to respond you in that post, which you didn't respond thereafter. Still, if it doesn't bother you, who am I to drag it .............

Sorry for the long response.

Oh you got it wrong my attention was not to hurt you

on topic agree with you what you said about west indies i hope they are just like this so we qualify easily

Back