What do you make of George Bailey?

leatherface58

Senior T20I Player
Runs
I saw Bailey's batting yesterday and while he struggled for a part of it, he stuck around. He didn't throw it away just because he was finding it difficult to play some quality spin. Even then why do people call for him to be dropped, he is a hack, etc. ?

Maybe during a tougher target he might not be a genuine game changer but the guy seems to have good temperament and seems to be tougher than people give him credit. He also has good stats. 44+ average at Sr of 78. Why wouldn't you want him in the side?

We could do with a player like that - one who doesnt give it away and knows how to ride out the tough times

Not very talented from what I saw.

But he has that great Aussie winner in him which compensates the lack of talent to play high quality bowling.

I saw Bailey's batting yesterday and while he struggled for a part of it, he stuck around. He didn't throw it away just because he was finding it difficult to play some quality spin. Even then why do people call for him to be dropped, he is a hack, etc. ?

Maybe during a tougher target he might not be a genuine game changer but the guy seems to have good temperament and seems to be tougher than people give him credit. He also has good stats. 44+ average at Sr of 78. Why wouldn't you want him in the side?

I think probably because there are guys like Ferguson sitting out? Not sure why he was dropped, had a decent start to his career.

Bailey played a crucial knock yesterday though.

I think we do have a player like him - Asad Shafiq. Does well under pressure and doesn't give it away. Yesterday he played a shot he wouldn't have played if it was the second innings and we were chasing 200.

Well I watched Bailey face his first 20 or so balls and I thought he was going to get out any time soon as he struggled so much but I loved the way he used his brain and took the runs off the lesser bowlers e.g. Cheema & Tanvir.

George Bailey already has 3 fifties to his name. Averages around 44 now. Done real well.

This was a classic case of underestimating your opponent and making fun of him. Came back and hanuted/bit back the fun makers ..Did he? eh?

This was a classic case of underestimating your opponent and making fun of him. Came back and hanuted/bit back the fun makers ..Did he? eh?

Who made fun of him? Stop trolling. Looking for another troll of the week award are we?

its not always about talent but application!!

would love to have him in the pakistani side

he looks like Cameron White under the helmet, same stance.

truly an aussie, mentally tough from the looks of it, so far

I like this Scotish dude, currently captain of t20 side. I see great future lays ahead of him. Started his ODI carrer nice way there.

Bailey looks a solid batsman with some versatility to play according to situation and seems to have a good head on his shoulders

A true captain's innings. Gets unnecessary stick on PP. Impressing me even more this guy

Dude's a cool batsman. Some shoddy captaincy though. In here for the long haul this one.

Bump. Although it was against a poor Sri Lankan team, but captains the side and scores quick runs. This man is underrated.

We couldn't build any momentum: Bailey [Video]

Australian captain felt lack of partnerships upfront dented their chances.

Did you think that was probably a gettable target that you restricted them to?

George Bailey: Yeah, I was pretty happy at the halfway mark, particularly at 170 for one with 15 overs to go, I would have taken 270. I still think I would have. It was a good cricket wicket; I think they bowled very, very well. It made it hard for us to get any momentum with the bat. But that's a lack of partnerships, probably, but I think 270 was certainly gettable on that.

That was the major problem? It seemed almost from the start that Watson and Hughes couldn't get going; is it because the bowling was so good, or is there just a bit of form problem in that batting lineup at the moment?

George Bailey: It could have been a bit of both. I think they bowled very, very well. I think if Watto's was going to get anything loose, he would have scored. I think he's in great touch at the moment, if he was going to get anything loose, he would have put it away. I think that hard field to Hughes made it hard for him to score, and we saw pretty quickly that the pace started to come off the ball in that second innings, which made it harder to score as well. But I certainly think they bowled well. But the challenge in one-day cricket is the way to find a way to score to get some momentum going while at the same time trying to build a partnership, and that was the one thing lacking.

It was flattering in the end to only lose by 50 runs away. It was probably more like 60 or 70-runs loss. But that's one partnership, one partnership away from your top-order. One guy in your top five getting 100, and that's probably the difference.

Given the niche of this tournament, is it going to be hard for your batsmen to get a bit of momentum now?

George Bailey: Well, we'll bat well in the next game or we won't, and that will be the answer. International cricket, that's just how you've got to respond. The one thing I don't want to see and the one thing we're certainly pushing for is for guys not to change the way they play. I want to see David Warner going after balls. I want to see him crashing the ball everywhere.

I want to see Watto doing the same thing. And that is the way we've got to keep playing. That's why we've picked guys, and that is the challenge, while all that other stuff is going on around you, to make sure that you stick to your own game plan and to find a way to make it work.

Was there a confidence problem at all with the batting today?

George Bailey: Well, that's a hard one to answer because I can't speak for everyone personally, but it certainly looked like we were stuck a little bit in between. Do we challenge them and try to take something and maybe make something happen, or do we just wait for them to bowl bad balls? And England I don't think bowled many bad balls today. So you tend to think we'll get a couple on the ball or we'll get a cut if they go the other way, but there wasn't much. I think they were very, very disciplined, and it made it hard for us.

But the one thing we kept talking about particularly with a score like 270, 260 is if you can get that partnership going, you can get 90, 80 runs pretty easily in the last 10 overs, it's just a matter of having some wickets in the hands so at some stage you can put some pressure back on the bowlers.

Is it fair insight I suppose from England with their bowling what Australia can expect now for the next few months?

George Bailey: Absolutely, yep, and they're a very experienced bowling line-up. So there is no one there we haven't seen before, and there was nothing that they bowled today that we weren't expecting. They just executed very, very well, exploited the conditions, exploited the wearing nature of the pitch, which probably wore a little more than we thought it was going to. So that is something that we have to think about going forward as well.

Were you surprised how quickly England was reversing the ball?

George Bailey: Very, yeah, it was good skill that. What I sort of felt like it went from swinging conventionally to swinging reverse within an over or two. No doubt they've worked on it a little bit. We saw they bowled some cross seams and maybe bowling a little bit of spin early plays a part in that as well. I think they're hardly schooled at it, but it's something that I think we need to look at and try and exploit if that's going to be the condition, because it just made their bowling plan so simple for the quick ones. Once they started reversing they could hit a good length throughout the entire innings.

Obviously, Michael Clarke is a big loss. What is your understanding of when you might expect to see him back?

George Bailey: He's planning for the New Zealand game. Chatting to him yesterday he felt like the progress had been pretty slow. Ideally, we win this game and that gives him a little bit of buffer, a few extra days. But I know he's desperate to get back. I know the talk is to save yourself for the Ashes and what not, but every time I checked with him, he's desperate to get here and to get some training under his belt first and then to be out of play. But it really is a day by day scenario. So I haven't heard how he's gone today or if he's made any progress today.

George, Shane was involved in seven overs today and looked pretty strong. How do you find that balance now between he adds so much when he does bowl on the team instead of overdoing it with so much cricket to come and his injury problems in the past?

George Bailey: Yeah, we monitor that pretty closely. And honestly, he could have given us 10 today. I think we looked after him pretty well in the practice games, and it's just about being smart, about when we use him and how often we use him and all those sorts of things. To be honest, I think when you've got someone like Wato that is so important to our side and you see how much he adds to the side, you have to be guided by him a little bit.

If he feels like he can bowl 10, then you give him his 10 or you have that space to give him 10. But if he feels like he's at a stage where he can only bowl five, I think you've got to respect that as well.

James Faulkner today was the shining light. George, he continues to establish himself and show what he can do?

George Bailey: He does, yeah, very impressive cricketer. It's been really big 12 months for him, really. As I said downstairs, I just think that the great trait is any time you're challenged to go to a level that people haven't seen before, he just seems to find something. It's not always pretty, but it's effective, and there is a lesson in that, I reckon, for a lot of cricketers and something that this cricket side can take out.

How good was Jimmy today bearing in mind he wasn't moving that much sideways?

George Bailey: It must have looked different. I thought it was moving sideways a little bit when he bowled through the middle. Yeah, he's so skillful. He's got the record he's got because of the skills he has. As I said, the fact that he started reversing it, yep, no issues with that. We were expecting that. But for them to not give you anything on the pads or not give you a cut or just to be so accurate was testament to the bowler he is and how important he is to England's team.

First of a long series of matches between the two sides. There was talk about the possibility of putting down a marker. Is there any relevance to the rest of the bigger picture from this result?

George Bailey: No, none, obviously, yeah. I don't know. 28 games or something, if the first one-dayer has any bearing, yeah, you want to win every game. It's England versus Australia. It's a huge rivalry. Every game means something. But it's not a marker, or it might be, but we can only say that in hindsight, I reckon.

Youtube

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qvHKPy2M_Fs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Bailey batted well to be fair to him.

Not much ability or support around him though.

At the presser he was quite relaxed to be honest.

"Would have been nice to get a win": Bailey [Video]

The Australian captain spoke to the press after loss to the Sri Lanka in their final Group A game and feels losing to England by 45 runs really hurt his side's chances for making any headway in the Champions Trophy

How confident are you that the squad can play in the Ashes and turn things around, and what would that confidence be based on?

George Bailey: You're probably right. There is probably not a great deal of confidence there. It's just a very different mindset, going from a one‑day tournament to a Test tournament. I don't think it's mattered where sides have been ranked going forward or in the past. The Ashes just tends to bring out something special in both sides. Whatever can be written and said leading up into those games, but until that first Test and the result of that first Test, I think that will dictate how the summer plays out. I think there is a huge importance in the results of the first couple of Tests.

What was the talk in the dressing room for that last bit of partnership?

George Bailey: I guess a bit of light‑hearted humor. It was great to see those guys battle it out, and it would have been really nice to get a win and get over the line there, but unfortunately, not to be. It was a bit of a hard one. Once the 29 overs had ticked over, our team went out of it a little bit and resigned to the fact that the tournament was over for us. There is a lot of pride. There is a lot of pride between and competition between Xavier Doherty and Clint McKay. They both think they should be batting number 10. There was a lot on the line today. We said whoever could finish not out might get the number 10 role going forward.

How do you sum up the tournament? You did have a bit of bad luck there as well as in the middle game?

George Bailey: We said at the start of the tournament that you need to start well. You get to dictate terms. Your confidence is up and obviously the way weather came into it, that ends up playing a really big part. I'd say there was a little bit of bad luck. We were really confident in the score we had against New Zealand on that one wicket. We thought it would be enough. We thought we'd started really well, but I guess that's part of the game. There is not much you can do about that.

How has it been you being captain? I imagine it's been quite a challenge with the events that have happened?

George Bailey: Well, I was only really captain again this morning when Pup was ruled out. It's good having him back. There was a real chance that he was going to play. Circumstances, I think, almost dictated that he didn't. I think if it had been a 50-over game, he might have had a better chance to play. The up‑in‑the‑air nature of how today was going to pan out probably played against him, as has the weather for the last couple of days, preventing him from getting some training under his belt. It's been difficult.

How worried should Australia be about the disappointing the batting has been of Phil Hughes and Shane Watson ahead of the Ashes?
For the Ashes?

George Bailey: Leading up to the Ashes, every batsman would like to be scoring runs, there is no doubt about that. All of these guys will have to put this tournament behind them whether they've scored runs or not, and just focus on going forward. That's no different for an Australian player to any other international player. Everyone has form slumps, everyone has their ups and downs. As a team, I think there is a really big challenge that's going to be ahead of them in the next couple of months. I think what Australia have done this time is they've got a really good preparation. We have a couple of games against counties. I think a couple of the guys, the batters from this group, maybe even join up and play the Australia A game that's due to start later this week. There are going to be plenty of opportunities for those guys to get some match practice in. Plenty of opportunity to get lots of practice.

Do you anticipate Michael Clarke playing in the first Ashes warm‑up game against Somerset at Taunton next week?

George Bailey: I've got no idea when that is. I believe it starts Thursday next week.
Yeah, I would imagine he would. If he were to get outside and get a bit more training under his belt in the last couple of days, if it had been a 50‑over fixture in terms of us being able to play it as a 50-over fixture, I think he would have had a really good chance playing this game.

What do you think went wrong, and what do you see as sort of the worst aspect of the team?

George Bailey: Losing, well, the way the net run-rate works, losing to England by 45 runs hurt us. That seems to have been the thing and that's disappointing. Apart from that, that's really all we did wrong. That dictated the turns that we had to play today. I think losing that first game was basically a major cock-up.

What are the positives you can take into the Ashes from the Champions Trophy, if there are any?

George Bailey: I think James Faulkner has been really impressive. I think it's been good to have a lot of guys over here playing a lot of cricket in the lead‑up to the Ashes. It's not necessarily just on the Champions Trophy group, but a lot of guys that have been playing county cricket. Obviously, the Australia A groups are over here. The Champions Trophy boys that have been here for a number of weeks and have been getting used to the conditions, different color ball and different format. All of that plays a part in getting settled in. I think all of those things will take some positives out of.

There seems to be a bit of friction between Jayawardene and Matthew Wade, and when he walked off the field there seemed to be a bit of anger as well. Can you clear that up for us?

George Bailey: Yeah, I'm not sure how that started.

Not sure what it was about at all?

George Bailey: No, no. But at the end of the innings, I just tried to calm it down. They're both passionate people. I think both guys, teammates on either side would say they love playing with that sort of passion. I have no idea what it was about. I thought once the innings was over, it was probably time to put it to bed.

Youtube

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1pszfo-MTg8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Last edited by a moderator:
Well played Australia - I guess as a Pakistani supporter - ANY team seems to be playing out of their skins

But realistically, I didnt see any huge improvement in Aus during this tournament to warrant a place in the finals!

George Bailey : The New Mr. Cricket? or Mr. Cricket_Lite!

Interesting article - Australia desperately looking for a Hussey like cricketer but is Bailey the answer or a simply a convenient one?

WITH Australia's selectors crying out for batsmen to show more consistency, George Bailey is one of the few to have done so this year.

Bailey celebrated his 31st birthday by smashing an impressive 82 off just 67 balls in Australia's big win over England in the second one-dayer in Manchester.

His knock was overshadowed by Michael Clarke's match-winning hundred, perhaps an apt summation of the public perception of the pair’s performances over the past 12 months.

Clarke's batting has grabbed the headlines - and rightly so, given he’s clearly our best batsman in both Test and one-day cricket - but Bailey’s achievements with the bat in
green and gold have consistently flown under the radar.

The Tasmanian was 14th in the latest ICC player rankings for one-day internationals, just behind Shane Watson (11th) and Michael Clarke (12th), and is likely to move further up that list after the current series if his performance at Old Trafford is anything to go by.
Since making his ODI debut early last year, Bailey has racked up almost 1000 runs at an average of 46.

His stats from 2013 are even more impressive, with his average currently sitting at 53 after strong showings in the home series against Sri Lanka and West Indies, a decent effort in Australia's disappointing Champions Trophy campaign and then his 82 against England on Monday morning (AEST).

Not long into Bailey’s international career, comparisons were being made between him and Michael Hussey.

It's high praise for Bailey and perhaps a tad premature, especially given his first-class average currently sits at 38 compared with the phenomenal 15,313 runs at an average of 53 that was alongside Hussey's name before his Test debut.

However, there are certainly a few unavoidable parallels between the two batsmen.
Play

Like Bailey, Hussey served a long apprenticeship in domestic cricket before eventually being handed his international debut in his late 20s, and took very little time to settle into the Australian setup.

While his Test career is what Hussey will be most remembered for, the man known as Mr Cricket made an equally important contribution in the one day arena.

Picking up where Michael Bevan left off, Hussey was Australia's Mr Reliable in the middle and lower order, possessing the ability to salvage an innings when the Aussies were struggling, or push the team past 300 when attack was the order of the day.

Bailey appears to be fulfilling a similar role with relish, opting for power over patience against England after coming to the crease at 3-116 and combining with Clarke to push Australia to an intimidating 7-315.

The question is, will Bailey have the opportunity to mirror Hussey’s feats in Test cricket?
His impressive performances at international level this year have been in stark contrast to the sub-par showings put forward by 'generation next' players such as Usman Khawaja, Phillip Hughes and David Warner.

There is a strong argument that Bailey shouldn’t even get a look-in at the Test selection table given his woeful stats from the last Sheffield Shield season, when he was 45th in the run-scorers tally with a miserable average of 18.

But stats are one thing, temperament another.

The selectors have already shown a willingness to pick players who they believe have
what it takes to play Test cricket even if their stats don’t necessarily warrant it, with

James Faulkner's debut in the fifth Ashes Test a case in point.

With almost a decade of first-class cricket under his belt and a steadily-growing international pedigree to boot, Bailey is in a strikingly similar place to where Hussey was before his Test debut.

Whether he ends up getting a baggy green will end up determining whether Bailey finishes his career as Mr Cricket II, or simply Mr Cricket Lite.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...ey/story-fn2mcu3x-1226715134206#ixzz2eNjpnUl3

Bailey does continue to fight till the very end in ODI cricket, just like Hussey. He has got the ability to hit good shots, and doesn't give his wicket cheaply...

He also scores at the same rate as him.

But Australia still needs to improve its batting by huge margins

He is a decent player and has a decent domestic record too. There must be a reason why CA make him skipper when M Clarke is unavailable

He is a decent player and has a decent domestic record too. There must be a reason why CA make him skipper when M Clarke is unavailable

leadership quality. Its not the amount of runs you score determines if you're capable of leading a team or motivating a guy. Its how you interact with others and motivate them in performing good.

leadership quality. Its not the amount of runs you score determines if you're capable of leading a team or motivating a guy. Its how you interact with others and motivate them in performing good.

This.. hope Misbah fans read this..:razzaq

looks so cool, Always smiling and never rages or whines. this guy is a beast....that 100 again WI is one of the best tons of this years

First this shows that how important was Hussy for Aus and how much highly he is rated in world of cricket. Bailey is a good player and he has potential to become Mr.cricket II imo. He should be given a long run in tests too, I think it will help him doing wonders for Aus in batting.

Surely you cant pick some one based on leadership quality. That obviously one aspect of it , but he also has the talent and ability as a player

ODI average of 46 in 26 matches is not bad is it.

He doesn't have a good domestic record but I would be inclined to give him a Test shot based on his ODI efforts. Steps up when needed.

But Hussey-like? No...

Bailey made huge blunders during series with Pakistan / Wt20 / series with SL.u keep bashing Misbah for using ajmal late in innings.Bailey made huge errors like using spinners in final over against Gayle in t20!

He doesn't have a good domestic record but I would be inclined to give him a Test shot based on his ODI efforts. Steps up when needed.

But Hussey-like? No...
Not as far fetched as you may think..

He obviously isn't as good but he's more than handy and plays a Hussey like role for Australia in ODIs to an extent.

I hope you are aware that Misbah was selected as captain because of those abilities.

Even players like Younis Khan praise him. Khan who has played under Inzi and many others, himself said that amongest all the captains he has played under, he rates Misbah the best.

Aussie Captains of late - Clarke included - have been too "touch feely" types

The hard-nosed Ponting/Border types are missing - Bailey is too much a of a Mr. NiceGuy

The hard-nosed Ponting/Border types are missing - Bailey is too much a of a Mr. NiceGuy
Yeah, they're missing the killer instinct and the must win at all costs attitude that made them so great.

But Hussey-like? No...

What about David Hussey. THe guy has a first class average of 50 i think... I'm surprised he hasn't been given a test debut, which in my opinion, deserves ahead of players like Khawaja.

Surely you cant pick some one based on leadership quality. That obviously one aspect of it , but he also has the talent and ability as a player

ODI average of 46 in 26 matches is not bad is it.

As a player you should be picked on performance, but to be given captaincy, its all about leadership quality..

It was abit surprising that he made his t20 debut as a captain, but as we all know T20 isn't as important as Test or ODI.

I don't understand why he can't get a Test.

Not that the baggy green has any worth anymore, with rubbish players like Warner, Cowan etc becoming Test regulars.

Its not about the attitude and its not about the arrogance. They are simply not good enough.

About time CA realize this.

but in my opinion, what also matters is the kind of team you have.... Whether you have got good players or not...

When Ponting had the big names, his team was performing well, and as soon as those big names left, his team started to perform even under Ponting's captaincy, whom i rate one of the best out there.

Just the arrogance is gone.
Not really if Clarke could unite his players and introduce an 'in your face' kind of attitude they'd be much better imo.

Last edited:
He reminds me more of MS Dhoni. His technique is ugly but somehow he gets the job done. Hussey was a class act though and excelled in all formats because of his proper game and hunger. Like Dhoni, i don't see George Bailey making it big in test cricket but he's gonna be around in ODIs for a long while it seems and achieve a lot for Australia.

My favourite player in the current Aussie team. I compare him to Younis Khan. Bailey keeps smiling like him no matter how worse the situation is. Very humble chap.

Probably the best batsman in AUS elligible to play after Clarke

More like Bevan.

Hussey was a top class player in tests, Bevan however was not. Mr Bailey here is yet to play test match so it be fairer to compare him to Bevan

Your bowlers and fielders need to rip into the batsmen.

Forget what the medias says if you get the job done who cares..

Exactly.

The primary point of a team is winning matches.

Success in sport and niceness are often mutually exclusive.

Why he can't get a test is beyond imagination. Baggy green has no value these days as players like Watson,Hughes,Cowan,Khawaja are regulars now. This guy can be the vice captain and fit in at no 3 or no 6.

I would have him come in at 5 for Australia.

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Bailey
Smith

Re: George Bailey : The New Mr. Cricket? or Mr. Cricket_Lite!

Underrated player. Not many gave him much chance to succeed but he has been great so far. Even Voges has been similarly successful.

Why he can't get a test is beyond imagination. Baggy green has no value these days as players like Watson,Hughes,Cowan,Khawaja are regulars now. This guy can be the vice captain and fit in at no 3 or no 6.

Hughes averaged 3 times as much as Bailey in shield cricket last season.

Don't see the point. He's a good, ordinary player.

Australia is a weak team at the moment. We do have Rogers and Clarke as experience and good batsmen. The other slots should be younger players who will hopefully develop into players capable of bringing Australian cricket back to world number 1.

Bailey should only be considered if Clarke ends up retiring in the next 18 months.

Hughes averaged 3 times as much as Bailey in shield cricket last season.

Don't see the point. He's a good, ordinary player.

Australia is a weak team at the moment. We do have Rogers and Clarke as experience and good batsmen. The other slots should be younger players who will hopefully develop into players capable of bringing Australian cricket back to world number 1.

Bailey should only be considered if Clarke ends up retiring in the next 18 months.
Your current generation are hacks and should be discarded, they've had their time and done nothing but disappoint.

You either bring in your younger generation (Maddinson) or continue to persist with TTFs like Hughes and Khawaja.

You'd probably have written off Clarke and Steve Waugh though

You'd probably have written off Clarke and Steve Waugh though
Have you seen either of them bat?

One is always petrified when he comes out to bat, while the other looks like a 8 year old trying to play backyard cricket for the first time.

Last edited:
Have you seen either of them bat?

One is always petrified when he comes out to bat, while the other looks like a 8 year old trying to play backyard cricket for the first time.

I believe Hughes will become a test standard player.

One of my favourite players going around these days. It's a shame he didn't have a very good FC season last year otherwise I'm sure he would've debuted in Tests by now. Hope he gets the call up soon, looks a top player from what he has done in ODIs so far.

Destroyed India today. Very good batsman!

Just hit a 106m six as well. :bow:

92 from 50.

Missed out on hundred, damn it would have been one of the fastest!!!

get him in the test team.

he can be no worse than Hughes and Khwaja!

He's filling the void left by Hussey. Needs to be drafted into the Test team.

Beast! Averages 51 at SR of 89. I don't care who you are and what standards you may have but these are damn good stats.

Cant do worse in tests compared to some of their hilariously ordinary cricketers. Aus ODI team should just replace the test one i believe. :afridi

Re: George Bailey

Dude's possessed in this series by Don. Absolutely unstoppable. Get this guy in tests

Back