What should be Pakistan's ICC Champions Trophy 2025 squad?

Bilal7

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Cricket has been extremely disappointing recently, if you're a fan of the Pakistan team but if history is anything to go by, Pakistan winning the Champions Trophy is pretty much confirmed.

Having gone through some of the scorecards from the ongoing Champions Cup, I feel the following players should be rotated during our next several ODI matches:

- Saim

- Fakhar/Imam

- Babar

- Kamran/Tayyab

- Rizwan (c) (wk)

- Usman/Irfan Khan

- Shadab/Agha/Jamal

- Haris/Abrar/Mehmood

- Shaheen

- Naseem

- Hasnain

I would have Rizwan as our new captain, one all-rounder at #7 with Saima chipping in with the ball, Kamran and Usman given ample opportunities to stake a claim in the team and three fast bowlers.

Unsurprisingly, the biggest weaknesses of this team are in the spin bowling department and lower-order batting. This is why it's important to give Abrar and Mehmood a proper run of games along with the likes of Irfan Khan.

Discuss. I would personally like to hear from fellow fans that have been keeping up with the Champions Cup. Stats are one thing but how have the performances from these players been? Is Rizwan the right choice for ODI captain? Has Shaheen been unlucky or has his form nosedived?

Cricket has been extremely disappointing recently, if you're a fan of the Pakistan team but if history is anything to go by, Pakistan winning the Champions Trophy is pretty much confirmed.

Having gone through some of the scorecards from the ongoing Champions Cup, I feel the following players should be rotated during our next several ODI matches:

- Saim

- Fakhar/Imam

- Babar

- Kamran/Tayyab

- Rizwan (c) (wk)

- Usman/Irfan Khan

- Shadab/Agha/Jamal

- Haris/Abrar/Mehmood

- Shaheen

- Naseem

- Hasnain

I would have Rizwan as our new captain, one all-rounder at #7 with Saima chipping in with the ball, Kamran and Usman given ample opportunities to stake a claim in the team and three fast bowlers.

Unsurprisingly, the biggest weaknesses of this team are in the spin bowling department and lower-order batting. This is why it's important to give Abrar and Mehmood a proper run of games along with the likes of Irfan Khan.

Discuss. I would personally like to hear from fellow fans that have been keeping up with the Champions Cup. Stats are one thing but how have the performances from these players been? Is Rizwan the right choice for ODI captain? Has Shaheen been unlucky or has his form nosedived?
Pakistan could get knocked out in the group stage and you'll still come up with a thread saying that it was the toughest group stage in Champions Trophy history :LOL:

How can you have Shaheen and Naseem?

Jahandad has looked far superior to both.

Just playing on name alone and that's why Pak are losing to USA, Zim, Ireland etc teams.

Usman at 6 is also stupid.

How can you have Shaheen and Naseem?

Jahandad has looked far superior to both.

Just playing on name alone and that's why Pak are losing to USA, Zim, Ireland etc teams.

Usman at 6 is also stupid.
How can I have our two best pace bowlers in the team? You do realize that performances at the international level hold more weight than whatever this Jahandad fellow has done at the domestic level, right?

Pakistan could get knocked out in the group stage and you'll still come up with a thread saying that it was the toughest group stage in Champions Trophy history :LOL:
I think they will beat NZ and Bangladesh to qualify for Semifinals.

Pakistan Has Been The Bogey Team For NZ just like NZ is bogey for india in ICC events .

Looks like breaking the ten year drought courtesy of a bottle job by the Proteas has given you false confidence in your aging, soft team. Keep the same energy when and if Rohit and co find the cajones to play cricket in Pakistan.

How can I have our two best pace bowlers in the team? You do realize that performances at the international level hold more weight than whatever this Jahandad fellow has done at the domestic level, right?
Basically, you've proved my point.

You're including them based on their PAST performances!

This isn't the year 2022 and they are no longer performing.

Btw, in the same competition as Jahandad both of them have been outperformed by him - what does that say about the standards of Shaheen and Naseem?

Pakistan Has Been The Bogey Team For NZ just like NZ is bogey for india in ICC events .
Fin Allen is a Boogeyman for Shaheen, Rauf, Naseem, Usama and Shadab

Honestly the best squad I can come up based of this odi domestic cup is

1) Kamran Ghulam
2) Babar Azam
3) Saim Ayub
4) Agha Salman
5) Tayyab Tahir
6) Usman Khan
7) Khushdil Shah
8) Haider Ali
9) Irfan Khan Niazi
10) Mubashir Khan
11) Fakhar Zaman
12) Mohammad Husnain
13) Ali Raza
14) Jahndad Khan
15) Naseem Shah

^^ These are all your performers in the tournament, aka those who performed and actually deserve it based of merit.

Honestly the best squad I can come up based of this odi domestic cup is

1) Kamran Ghulam
2) Babar Azam
3) Saim Ayub
4) Agha Salman
5) Tayyab Tahir
6) Usman Khan
7) Khushdil Shah
8) Haider Ali
9) Irfan Khan Niazi
10) Mubashir Khan
11) Fakhar Zaman
12) Mohammad Husnain
13) Ali Raza
14) Jahndad Khan
15) Naseem Shah

^^ These are all your performers in the tournament, aka those who performed and actually deserve it based of merit.
Yeah and if Naqvi comes through on his word picking the deserving players

You think he's coming through atm? Just look at the test squad? Probably the laziest squad selected.
Yeah no hopes,

Most Pakistan fans wouldn’t mind it too even though they act like Pakistan desperately needs change. They can’t see the issue, and will continue to look elsewhere besides the core issue

Sometimes I honestly don't know whether to laugh or feel sad at your innocent optimism.

- Saim

- Fakhar/Imam

- Babar

- Kamran/Tayyab

- Rizwan (c) (wk)

- Usman/Irfan Khan

- Shadab/Agha/Jamal

- Haris/Abrar/Mehmood

- Shaheen

- Naseem

- Hasnain

You have Shaheen, Shadab, a completely unfit and out of form Babar, Haris and Imam in your proposed squad... do you even understand cricket?

These guys are pathetic and have been failing for the past 2 years non-stop...

Is this some sort of paid publicity stunt?

Kiwis are good On flat surfaces. In last odi wc, They scored 400 against pak in bng and Fakhar did a Fakhar Job to save it.even against ind in semis, they got good runs chasing 400.They are susceptible against good bowling but pak have atleast 20 overs of garbage(non existing spin) to dish out On roads

1. Usman
2. Fakhar
3. Babar
4. Saud
5. Rizwan
6. Agha
7. Shadab (I don’t think there’s an alternative with Imad now probably done)
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem
10. Rauf
11. Hasnain or whatever spinner is best

Usman is just excelling im domestic whether it’s PSL or this champions cup. Average and SR. I know he looks a little dodgy at the crease. But I think giving him an opening spot in ODIs and T20s just to see if he is worth it. He has been our best player in domestic limited overs, he deserves a good proper chance. Give him a decent run with freedom. If we are serious about trying to get aggressive openers, we need guys who can perform now not projects.

I’d play Haris, he has good pace, experience and a decent record. I suspect with this team we will be grooming one pacer anyway alongside those three, and we’ll often go with four pacers. So let the newcomer aid the attack rather than having the pressure to carry the attack.

Shadab stays. There just isn’t a good realistic alternative and he’s still outperforming the rest in domestic. Imad should have been playing in the allrounder slot over him all these years, but Imad is likely done and now Shadab has to step up. Needs to focus mainly on his bowling though and I don’t want to see him promoted above 7.

Looks like breaking the ten year drought courtesy of a bottle job by the Proteas has given you false confidence in your aging, soft team. Keep the same energy when and if Rohit and co find the cajones to play cricket in Pakistan.
I wonder where you get your false confidence from though considering even your perpetually young team keeps losing everything even to teams like USA?

And what happened to the Test side that competed with a great Australian side, supposed to be on par with the GOAT Aussie side, in Australia ?

Did they get whitewashed at home because current BD is on par with classic Australia ?

- Saim

- Fakhar/Imam

- Babar

- Kamran/Tayyab

- Rizwan (c) (wk)

- Usman/Irfan Khan

- Shadab/Agha/Jamal

- Haris/Abrar/Mehmood

- Shaheen

- Naseem

- Hasnain

You creating a thread put paid to any chances Pakistan had, even little. Do us just one more favor and say India will lose every game badly. Thank you! No, I meant it sincerely.

I’m confused because in your original post you said you went through the champions cup scorecards which is a domestic tournament and came up with a list of rotational players but now you’re saying past internationals hold more weight. Also, seems like you missed Jahandad in your scorecard review.

Fakhar
2nd opener
Babar
Kamran
Rizwan
Usman khan
Irfan Khan
Agha
Jamal
Abrar
mubasir Khan
Naseem
Hasnain
Mir Hamza
Shaheen / Mohammad Ali

Fakhar
2nd opener
Babar
Kamran
Rizwan
Usman khan
Irfan Khan
Agha
Jamal
Abrar
mubasir Khan
Naseem
Hasnain
Mir Hamza
Shaheen / Mohammad Ali

I liked what I saw of Hasnain until he went off the radar.

Agree with you, Shadab & Rauf shouldn't be in Pakistan 11 moving forward.

I liked what I saw of Hasnain until he went off the radar.

Agree with you, Shadab & Rauf shouldn't be in Pakistan 11 moving forward.
yep. I have no place for Shadab and haris atm. They both have been mediocre.

Batters
Saim Ayub
Fakhar Zaman
Babar Azam
Kamran Ghullam
Irfan Khan

Keepers
Rizwan
Usman Khan

All rounders
Agha Salman
Mubasir Khan
Jamal

Shaheen
Naseem
Jahadad
Mir Hamza

Spinners
Abrar
Shadab

Reserves
Khushdil
Ali
Hasnain

I genuinely hate it when people put a gazillion back slash in their squad.

Just choose one player per position for God’s sake.

Fakhar zaman
Saim ayub
Babar azam
Usman khan
Kamran ghulam
Muhammad rizwan
Aga Salman
Bowling all rounder
Jahandad Khan / Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Akif Javed.

Batters: