What the numbers tell us about our Test team...

godzilla

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
With some time on my hands and having read some atrocious misuse of statistics lately on these boards, I unfortunately found the motivation to waste an afternoon looking at stats of players for our test team.

Firstly, I'm going to make some very obvious statements about the use of statistics, the only reason being they seem to be under-understood, or wilfully ignored.

1) Statistics dont tell the whole picture, even when used properly. BUT the exceptions are exceptions - not the rule; eg: although Grahame Hick and Mark Ramprakash were monsters in domestic cricket, they could not replicate those achievements in the international arena. conversely, Sangakara has an appreciably higher test average than his first class batting average. Of course, this can happen, but theres a very small number of these examples. By and large, on balance, statistics (by definition) tend to be good indicators of the quality of a player.

2) Statistics are heavily misused. The most egregious error is sample size. For example, lets take batting average. Quite often on PP someone writes an average taken over five or ten or fifteen games. This is meaningless. The reason for that is that players exhibit ebbs and flows in form, this might span a season, or a ground, or a particular opponent. Consequently, averaging over a small number of games is at risk of representing a purple patch, or a drop in form, rather than illustrating the underlying skill of the player. To get around this, the larger the number of data points, the better.

That begs the question - how many data points? There is no easy answer to that question. As a rough rule of thumb, I looked at a bunch of Pakistani players this afternoon: I took a list of the top 30 RATED bowlers and batsmen in FC cricket in Pakistan, and then added a bunch of other names of current interest. (am happy to add more if anyone is particularly interested).

For the rated players, I used an old PCB site which appears to still receive updated data (http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Features/) The site also explains its rating methodology - roughly speaking it attempts to rank players by averages weighted by recent form, opposition and ground, with a higher rating given to players who perform against stiffer competition, and less credit for performance against weak teams.

Looking at the average number of games (not innings) played by the bowlers and the batsmen in the list, the data was: 68 and 107. That makes intuitive sense, since one would expect the best bowlers probably have youth, speed and strength somewhere as important as experience; whereas for batting, experience is more important than youth. The average number of innings though, give some indication of how much data we can reasonably attempt to look to to gain some confidence in the predictive capability of statistics. So a decent sample size woudl appear to be in the 70-100 range for FC games played in this case.

(To play around further with sample sizes and confidence intervals (and to read about definitions), the following site is as good as any: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm#one )

3) Bearing in mind 1) and 2) above, its possible to put together a bunch of players from the domestic scene who from their performances put a compelling argument for selection. That doesn't mean that they should definitely be in the side, but if the numbers are outstanding, it means that there has to be a very good reason to keep them out. In addition, if the numbers are outstanding over a large enough sample size, there is a very strong argument to give them a long run in the side to make sure we know whether they will be Hick/Ramprakashs or not. A couple of games here and there is a total waste of time.

The results were surprising to me, but may not be for the more astute of you out there. Its been repeated ad nauseum how good sadaf hussains stats have been, for example, but the picture is far more vivid when you compare those statistics to his peers.

Im not sure how best to attach a spread sheet here on pp, so ill attempt to paste a few screen shots below, dont know if they will be visible.

The list of players is used are:

Bowlers - PCB top 30 rated PLUS Amir, IK, Asif, Rahat, Wahab, Junaid.
Batters - PCB top 30 rated PLUS Hafeez, Shan, Younis, Sarfraz, Rizwan, Asad, Shehzad, Haris, Sohaib, Sami Aslam, Babar.

Conclusions.

a) The currents squad is statistically, significantly sub optimal. It will come as no surprise that there are players who should not be there. Most obvious: Shan who is third from bottom on the average list, but who's father is on the board coincidentally. Hafeez scans poorly too, although to be fair to him, he has a long career, so his average includes his earlier, poorer stats. If one was to look at his last three or four years, his numbers would be much better. But thats another discussion. And Wahab too scans awfully, averaging second worst in averages, second worst in strike rate and ninth worst in terms of economy.

b) There is either gross and unforgivable incompetence and corruption at the level of the board, or there is a side to the story that we are missing in the case of some of the more outstanding players.

c) There will be some push back that some of the better screening players have been given chances on the international stage and have failed. Given the statistics when used properly include a significant number of data points, the first part of that debate ought to be about whether the players concerned were given enough chances. Its is patently idiotic for example, to argue that Alam who has scored close to 10,000 runs over 126 games, has been found out over two games - rather than assuming that he was in poor form or handicapped by the menace of the chop because of the historically idiotic PCB selection policy.

d) the noteworthy players based on metrics combined with large number of data points are:

Bowling -

sadaf is hands and feet above everyone else over his 59 games, both on average and strike rate. It is absolutely criminal that he has not been given a strong run in the national side. If speed is an issue, there are any number of the top ten rated bolwers in the world that are not express (andersen, broad, hazelwood). Both that and the rubbish that Wahab and Johnson throw down proves that speed is not the ultimate criterion.

Samiullah is next best on averages but is 35 years old. Mir Hamza comes next, but having only played 37 games, arguably needs to still prove himself. Very surprising for me is to see Hammad Azam feature at number four on average and the 4th best pacer for economy over 64 games. I've noticed that he has been toward the top of the bowling tables in the past few years too. I should add here that I have spoken first hand to both international and domestic players who have seen both Sadaf and Hammad bowl, and in general most of them were of the opinion that they are flattered by their statistics on account of the types of balls the PCB uses - they dont rate either Sadaf or Hammad, but the numbers say different.

Also of note is that Ehsan Adil comes up next and screens well on Average and Sr but again, only over 36 games. Amir is below all of them (35 games), closely followed by Imran Khan who is third in the list of SR (73 games). Rahat, Junaid, Zia fall lower than mid table, surprisingly followed by Asif on Average, with Gul and Wahab at the butt of the list.

Most of the list is pacers, so not sure how well we can compare slow bowlers but Yasir Shah doesnt come out well on any metric. I guess we will see whether he is our Sangakara and just performs much better on the international stage, or whether he will revert to type and fall away.

The range of the list is 18-30 on averages, 2.7-4 on economy and 37-53 on strike rate, so there is significant performance difference between the best and worst.

Batting -

Of the fit batsmen (ie not Haris) who have played a significant number of games (ie over 100) Alam is hands, feet and streets above everyone else; he averages 57 over 125 games versus younis (51) and misbah (51) (see point iv below). If we adjust for not outs and treat them as outs, he still tops the table followed by younis and misbah. The next closest rival with more than a 100 games is imran farhat on the adjusted averages.

SR data is not available for the full list, but of the players for whom it is available, its interesting to note that Alam is fifth on the list which is headed by Sharjeel and Shahzaib, both of whom average mid 30s and so are not comparable.

Going back to a straight average, the next interesting high performer is Salahuddin (age 27) on 82 games averaging 45, and ukmal is just below him. The only difference between rizwan and sarfraz is that sarfraz has performed the same over 118 games versus rizwans 55, so i think its fair that sarfraz gets the nod.

Way below the top end of alam, haris (only 57 games though), misbah and younis, its interesting to see the rest of the usual names languish in the high 30's to low 40 averages, even below our two keepers: shehzad, babar azam (stats show he is not the second coming as so many here think), asad shafiq (showing that so called technique doesnt seem to matter all that much when it comes to generating runs which is what wins matches), CLH, azher.

The senior test team squad members shan, aslam (exceptional but very early stage List A stats, but because of haroon rashid, was selected for tests instead of ODIs) are towards the bottom of the table, with hafeez not much better.

The range of averages on the list is 29-57, with only four players averaging over 50, 2 between 45 and 50, 13 between 40 and 45, and 22 below 40 - which just goes to show how far above everyone else the guys at the top are, and how there can be no justification whatsoever for not playing all of them (except injury or retirement).

Summary:

Looking at the tables, Alam and Sadaf are so much better than everyone else, there really needs to be some very vigorous questioning as to why they have been left out. Hammad is another who is stand out before the rest of the pack with Ehsan Adil pretty close too. Amongst the lists, first team players namely Wahab and Shan occupy amongst the very worst performers of the top 35 or so best domestic performers. They should not play test cricket for Pakistan again, unless they massively improve.

Note:

(i) I'm not familiar enough with the players to know which of the batters in the list are openers/one down rather than middle order, which would make a difference to the analysis of course.

(ii) For the bowlers, I've included average, economy, SR and wickets. The economy rate to my mind is a rough proxy to accuracy, and so is worth looking at. SR, similarly. Wickets is a proxy for number of games - again, the more games, and wickets, the more dependable the data for predicting the underlying quality of the player.

(iii) for the batsmen, ive included average and number of games which are by far the most important stats for FC/Tests. Ive added SR where available, just because a high strike rate with a high average I think would indicate exceptional talent. I have not included 100s and 50s because in my view they are vastly inferior in terms of importance than average and variance or standard deviation (if i had the data to calculate it). I've added not outs, and the adjusted average is the batting average calculated by including all not out scores as out scores. the%age difference is the difference between the two averages - the reason for the inclusion of these is to answer the inevitable questions about averages being inflated by not out scores.

(iv) although these are all FC stats used so as to compare the players on a like for like basis, thats not strictly true, since for the international players, FC stats include TEST innings which would be against far stronger opposition. So there is decent argument to suggest the international players should be treated leniently in this analysis - although I would suspect that the difference wont be huge.

Batsman list:
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.23.35.jpg
Batsmen sorted by average:
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.01.jpg
Bowlers list:
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.19.jpg
Bowlers sorted by Average:
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.50.jpg
Bowlers sorted by SR:
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.25.29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've vouched for Ehsan Adil in the past as well, bit few folks were telling me he is "finished" (even though he is 23 with a handful of games under him, not 38) and that the phainty he got in some random ODIs in NZ meant that was it.

This guy if anything, IMPROVED as a bowler as he worked on his action and wasn't collapsing anymore as we saw in PSL and was getting movement in dead UAE pitches not to mention having added few yards of pace.

On top of all that he was the 2nd or 3rd highest wicket taker in the recent FC competition.

But no ofc not. Let's take Sohail SherDil Khan and hope for the best. And then not play him.

Also huge slap in the faces of those who thought Inzi would emerge as the Lord commander of PCB watch to restore balance. He's a single guy, there's 5 other guys in the selection comittee. Stop hailing him as some blessing as he could've been behind some horrendous selections too. Or maybe not. We don't know.

I've vouched for Ehsan Adil in the past as well, bit few folks were telling me he is "finished" (even though he is 23 with a handful of games under him, not 38) and that the phainty he got in some random ODIs in NZ meant that was it.

This guy if anything, IMPROVED as a bowler as he worked on his action and wasn't collapsing anymore as we saw in PSL and was getting movement in dead UAE pitches not to mention having added few yards of pace.

On top of all that he was the 2nd or 3rd highest wicket taker in the recent FC competition.

But no ofc not. Let's take Sohail SherDil Khan and hope for the best. And then not play him.

Also huge slap in the faces of those who thought Inzi would emerge as the Lord commander of PCB watch to restore balance. He's a single guy, there's 5 other guys in the selection comittee. Stop hailing him as some blessing as he could've been behind some horrendous selections too. Or maybe not. We don't know.

ive not watched him cloesely enough to comment other than to say the pcb has a history of playing people i the wrong format. younis in odis, Shehzad in odis, and poor sami aslam in this test squad are some examples. the other thing as mentioned above is that if you select a player, you should hav enough confidence in your selection procedure to play that person for a bunch of games. there is no excuse for having someone sit on the bench and then be released, or to play someone for a handful of games before being dropped unless its for health or discipline reasons.

but i dont think we can blame inzi for anything just yet. he hasnt really started and so far has done the right thing - continued with his predecessors picks whilst he starts watching the talent in order to formulate his own ideas. we can blame the mess we are in at the moment on haroon and his employers. inzi's time might come, we have to wait to see.

Great analysis. Really does beg the question why Sadaf isn't getting selected. I believe that Alam will be in the team as soon as one of Misbah or Younis retire at the end of this year.

[MENTION=3393]godzilla[/MENTION]

Wonderful analysis.POTW stuff.

Who is Shan Masoods father?

A lot of work has gone into this - congratulations!

I'm going to take a slightly different approach, by stating a few fundamentals which I think statistics have to be used within the context of.

1. HORSES FOR COURSES
- it is a fact that different players have styles and techniques optimized for different conditions.
- Ijaz Ahmed had a technique suited to Australia, and really was the best batsman in those conditions.
- too often Pakistan shows excessive deference towards players who do well at home, and fails to replace ones with vulnerable techniques for overseas tours.

2. BALANCE
- most of the time, you need a second spinner in Asia but only 2.5 quick bowlers (the 0.5 being a batsman who can bowl seam).
- all of the time, outside Asia you need 4 quicks (one of whom is a batsman) and 1 spinner.
- these needs really need to trump the claims of players who have succeeded in other conditions. It's never okay to tour England, Australia or South Africa without a quick bowling all-rounder. Ever.

3. Age and team development
- It's never okay to play too many veterans, even if they are still mainly better than the younger players. Never, never, never.
- There are numerous reasons for this.
a) There is a risk of too many players retiring or passing their peak at the same time.
b) Young Pakistani batsmen and quick bowlers generally develop more by playing international cricket than by playing your awful First Class game, where they just learn sloppy habits.

What experience has Babar Azam had since he played - and scored 40 and 114 not out for - Pakistan A against Australia in the UAE 21 months ago? A month later he played against New Zealand and scored 24 and 34 not out. Why on earth was he not promoted to the Test team after that, especially when they now face tough tours of England, New Zealand and Australia with 5 batsmen out of 6 aged over 30.

It is terrible selection to just "pick your best eleven players". It cannot work.

You need to ensure that you are grooming youngsters and replacing veterans at a regular rate.

When Babar Azam played those innings of 40, 114*, 24, 34* against the full Australia and New Zealand Test teams it was the duty of the selectors to choose one of the veterans players (Misbah aged 40, Younis aged 38 and Hafeez aged 34) to be permanently retired to make space in the starting elven for Babar Azam. That would have given him 18 months of Test cricket before arriving in England, and 2 years before arriving in Australia.

Misbah is a great student of cricket, but I'm not sure that he understands the need for continuous team regeneration. When he has a veteran player depart he tends to prefer to bring in an experienced 30 year old rather than groom the next generation.

At this stage I must refer you to the Under-19 World Cup Final in January 2010 between Australia and Pakistan.

Australia's star players were Mitchell Marsh and Josh Hazelwood. Enough said.

Pakistan's star players were 15 year old Babar Azam (who opened instead of Ahmed Shehzad), Hammad Azam and Usman Qadir, with Ehsan Adil breaking through a few months later.

Clearly Australia groomed their best young players. As they were losing the Ashes twelve months ago they notably replaced Shane Watson with Mitchell Marsh and Brad Haddin with Mitch Marsh, when the older players were still clearly better than their replacements. They paid attention to continuous rejuvenation.

Equally clearly, Misbah-ul-Haq is more comfortable selecting Mohammad Hafeez instead of Babar Azam and Sohail Khan ahead of Ehsan Adil. And nobody has forced the selection of Usman Qadir at QEA level, which should have happened for two seasons followed by him being made Yasir Shah's understudy under the constant supervision of Mushtaq Ahmed.

Australia is reaping the rewards of grooming its next generation.

Pakistan is paying the price of short-term selection policies and of failing to overhaul the team.

Last edited:
Obviously Peter Nevill replaced Brad Haddin - too late to correct it.......

By the way, commendable effort. Statistics at domestic level matters a lot.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] The 2011 Indian team that won the worldcup was predominantly made up of Veterans : Tendulkar,Zak,Nehra,Sehwag,Yuvraj. The only youngster there was Kohli and maybe Raina.
I would give that as an illustration of my argument, to be honest.

Firstly, they were at home.

Secondly, they lost Test series 4-0 within a year away to both England and Australia.

Yet as soon as those ATGs like Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman retired, they did much better in their next Test series in England and Australia, losing 3-1 and 2-0.

To me that proves the point. It doesn't matter how good your veterans are - and they don't come much better than Dravid, Laxman and Tendulkar! If you persist with them too long you will do worse away from home than you should do. Even inferior players like Dhawan and Yadav will do better than veterans like Dravid and Zaheer.

It's all about balance. Balance in terms of how many all-rounders, spinners and quicks. And balance between youth, experience and veterans.

Ideally no Test team should ever have more than 2 players under 23 or 2 players over 32 in it.

The Australian team which lost The Ashes in England a year ago had too many veterans - Rogers, Clarke, Voges, Watson, Haddin and Johnson. Six starters aged over 30.

The Australian team which won 2-0 in New Zealand earlier this year had got it down by the end to 1 player aged over 30 - Adam Voges.

And even though some of the players are not as good as their predecessors, it's a much better team for the overhaul.

Good analysis bro, though i wanted to see the pics but i guess pixels are too low, can't see it clearly :(

how do i put up better resolution images?

A lot of work has gone into this - congratulations!

I'm going to take a slightly different approach, by stating a few fundamentals which I think statistics have to be used within the context of.

1. HORSES FOR COURSES
- it is a fact that different players have styles and techniques optimized for different conditions.
- Ijaz Ahmed had a technique suited to Australia, and really was the best batsman in those conditions.
- too often Pakistan shows excessive deference towards players who do well at home, and fails to replace ones with vulnerable techniques for overseas tours.

2. BALANCE
- most of the time, you need a second spinner in Asia but only 2.5 quick bowlers (the 0.5 being a batsman who can bowl seam).
- all of the time, outside Asia you need 4 quicks (one of whom is a batsman) and 1 spinner.
- these needs really need to trump the claims of players who have succeeded in other conditions. It's never okay to tour England, Australia or South Africa without a quick bowling all-rounder. Ever.

3. Age and team development
- It's never okay to play too many veterans, even if they are still mainly better than the younger players. Never, never, never.
- There are numerous reasons for this.
a) There is a risk of too many players retiring or passing their peak at the same time.
b) Young Pakistani batsmen and quick bowlers generally develop more by playing international cricket than by playing your awful First Class game, where they just learn sloppy habits.

What experience has Babar Azam had since he played - and scored 40 and 114 not out for - Pakistan A against Australia in the UAE 21 months ago? A month later he played against New Zealand and scored 24 and 34 not out. Why on earth was he not promoted to the Test team after that, especially when they now face tough tours of England, New Zealand and Australia with 5 batsmen out of 6 aged over 30.

It is terrible selection to just "pick your best eleven players". It cannot work.

You need to ensure that you are grooming youngsters and replacing veterans at a regular rate.

When Babar Azam played those innings of 40, 114*, 24, 34* against the full Australia and New Zealand Test teams it was the duty of the selectors to choose one of the veterans players (Misbah aged 40, Younis aged 38 and Hafeez aged 34) to be permanently retired to make space in the starting elven for Babar Azam. That would have given him 18 months of Test cricket before arriving in England, and 2 years before arriving in Australia.

Misbah is a great student of cricket, but I'm not sure that he understands the need for continuous team regeneration. When he has a veteran player depart he tends to prefer to bring in an experienced 30 year old rather than groom the next generation.

At this stage I must refer you to the Under-19 World Cup Final in January 2010 between Australia and Pakistan.

Australia's star players were Mitchell Marsh and Josh Hazelwood. Enough said.

Pakistan's star players were 15 year old Babar Azam (who opened instead of Ahmed Shehzad), Hammad Azam and Usman Qadir, with Ehsan Adil breaking through a few months later.

Clearly Australia groomed their best young players. As they were losing the Ashes twelve months ago they notably replaced Shane Watson with Mitchell Marsh and Brad Haddin with Mitch Marsh, when the older players were still clearly better than their replacements. They paid attention to continuous rejuvenation.

Equally clearly, Misbah-ul-Haq is more comfortable selecting Mohammad Hafeez instead of Babar Azam and Sohail Khan ahead of Ehsan Adil. And nobody has forced the selection of Usman Qadir at QEA level, which should have happened for two seasons followed by him being made Yasir Shah's understudy under the constant supervision of Mushtaq Ahmed.

Australia is reaping the rewards of grooming its next generation.

Pakistan is paying the price of short-term selection policies and of failing to overhaul the team.

theres lots to debate there, but ultimately i think the main disagreement with the post is that its putting the horse before the cart. the pcb are so inept that they cant even select a pool of players that represent the best available talent - to expect them to plan and configure that pool is a tall ask in comparison.

in addition, it pains me to have to repeat on this board - misbah is not a selector. the blame for selection issues lie with the selectors, thats why they are called selectors. theres plenty of reports of him being at loggerheads with them.

does this work? :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.01.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.01.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 430
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.19.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.19.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 522
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.50.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.24.50.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 596
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.25.29.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.25.29.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 605
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.23.35.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 22.23.35.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 541
theres lots to debate there, but ultimately i think the main disagreement with the post is that its putting the horse before the cart. the pcb are so inept that they cant even select a pool of players that represent the best available talent - to expect them to plan and configure that pool is a tall ask in comparison.

in addition, it pains me to have to repeat on this board - misbah is not a selector. the blame for selection issues lie with the selectors, thats why they are called selectors. theres plenty of reports of him being at loggerheads with them.

That is a fair post, but it also accepts bad results.

And, I must add, Misbah-ul-Haq is the most powerful Pakistan Test captain since Imran Khan.

If he had retired after the England series - and he nearly did, by all accounts - I don't think that the Pakistan squad to England would have looked anything like it does.

I think without Misbah that Hafeez would be the reserve opener and Zulfiqar Babar and Sohail Khan would not have been in the squad yet Babar Azam and Ehsan Adil and possibly Amad Butt would have.

I don't think that the destructive influence of Misbah's crushing conservatism will be seen until you get to Australia at the end of the year. New Zealand have too many players like Guptill and Nicholls to be feared.

But Starc, Pattinson and Cummins are going to splatter every single one of Pakistan's batsmen over 30 apart from Asad Shafiq.

Given that Nathan Lyon is the only spinner, Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan should be perfect selections in Australia - young guys with great hand-eye coordination. I'd add Jaahid Ali to that list.

But they are all complete novices, because they can't get a game because rubbish over-30's are in the way.

If he had retired after the England series - and he nearly did, by all accounts - I don't think that the Pakistan squad to England would have looked anything like it does.

I think without Misbah that Hafeez would be the reserve opener and Zulfiqar Babar and Sohail Khan would not have been in the squad yet Babar Azam and Ehsan Adil and possibly Amad Butt would have.

can you explain this?

can you explain this?

Yes, certainly.

I think that Hafeez, Zulfiqar and Sohail are "captain's picks."

We saw in the PSL that Misbah always favours experience over youth.

Yes, certainly.

I think that Hafeez, Zulfiqar and Sohail are "captain's picks."

We saw in the PSL that Misbah always favours experience over youth.

if the psl is your evidence for misbah's control, im afraid i dont see the logic. the psl is a domestic t20 league without a team of long term coaches, administrators and selectors. the national team is the opposite. there is no rational connection between the two. to boot, misbah didnt select the squad for his psl team from which to formulate a team if indeed he was responsible for that, which i havent seen anything to evidence.

what you seem to be saying is that these statements you make and are presenting as fact, are in reality rank speculation. he has ben on record, most notably when he retired from limited over cricket, as saying he does not select the squads - he provides his input, as do all captans globally, but he does not make the squad decisions.

so again - can you provide relevant evidence to support your accusations of misbah's selection control for the test team?

btw - anyone know the names in the batting list and know who the openers are apart from Shehzad, shan, hafeez, khurram, shahzaib and sharjeel?

how do i put up better resolution images?

Alternatively , you can use BB code for tables. They tend to load much faster and good option when tables are made with spreadsheet software like Excel.
For example -
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/pakis...class=5;host=7;id=2016;id=2016/17;type=season

Player Mat Overs Wkts Ave Econ SR 4W 5W
Mohammad Amir 4 31.5 11 13.54 4.68 17.3 0 1
Zohaib Khan 5 41.1 11 16.63 4.44 22.4 1 0
Zia-ul-Haq 5 42 10 17.7 4.21 25.2 0 0
Ehsan Adil 5 48.3 10 24.2 4.98 29.1 0 0
Amad Butt 5 44 9 21 4.29 29.3 1 0
Zulfiqar Babar 5 48.3 8 26.75 4.41 36.3 0 0
Bilal Asif 4 30 7 22.42 5.23 25.7 1 0
Aamer Yamin 5 41 7 29.14 4.97 35.1 0 0
Umar Gul 3 24 6 20.66 5.16 24 0 0
Mohammad Abbas 4 32.1 6 30.5 5.68 32.1 0 0
Yasir Shah 5 45.1 6 39 5.18 45.1 0 0
Bilawal Bhatti 2 19 5 18.4 4.84 22.8 0 0
Mohammad Irfan 3 25.3 5 23.2 4.54 30.6 0 0
Shadab Khan 3 20 5 26.2 6.55 24 0 0
Shoaib Malik 5 30 5 27.6 4.6 36 0 0
Rahat Ali 1 10 4 10.5 4.2 15 1 0
Mohammad Sami 3 27 4 35.25 5.22 40.5 0 0
Sohail Tanvir 4 36 4 36.75 4.08 54 0 0
Azhar Ali 4 24 4 39 6.5 36 0 0
Hammad Azam 3 12 3 20.66 5.16 24 0 0
Kashif Bhatti 2 16 3 22 4.12 32 0 0
Hasan Ali 2 17.4 3 30.33 5.15 35.3 0 0
Usama Mir 2 14 3 31 6.64 28 0 0
Saeed Ajmal 3 28 3 48.33 5.17 56 0 0
Mohammad Asghar 4 37 3 63 5.1 74 0 0
Sohail Khan 4 32 3 68.66 6.43 64 0 0
Anwar Ali 2 12 2 36 6 36 0 0
Junaid Khan 2 17 2 41 4.82 51 0 0
Rumman Raees 2 14 2 42 6 42 0 0
Sameen Gul 4 19 2 46.5 4.89 57 0 0
Fahim Ashraf 5 18.1 2 60 6.6 54.5 0 0
Hasan Khan 4 23 2 81.5 7.08 69 0 0
Fakhar Zaman 5 5 1 17 3.4 30 0 0
Awais Zia 1 5 1 28 5.6 30 0 0
Arsal Sheikh 1 5 1 35 7 30 0 0
Fawad Alam 4 6 1 38 6.33 36 0 0
Saif Badar 5 8 1 44 5.5 48 0 0
Iftikhar Ahmed 4 14 1 81 5.78 84 0 0
Mohammad Nawaz 3 25 1 129 5.16 150 0 0
Zafar Gohar 2 18 0 - 5.27 - 0 0
Raza Ali Dar 1 3 0 - 7 - 0 0
Mohammad Imran 1 2 0 - 11.5 - 0 0
Imran Khalid 2 15 0 - 6.8 - 0 0
Hayatullah 1 5 0 - 7.2 - 0 0
Akbar-ur-Rehman 3 3 0 - 5.33 - 0 0
Adil Amin 1 1 0 - 10 - 0 0

btw - anyone know the names in the batting list and know who the openers are apart from Shehzad, shan, hafeez, khurram, shahzaib and sharjeel?

Naeemuddin, he was a favorite amongst some to be the left handed opening partner for some. Has numbers, but he is on the wrong side of 30s so I guess that went against him but not against the other culprit in the team Zulfi baba.

The other is a new kid on the block by the name of Jahid Ali. Mostly unknown till these last few weeks where he strung together a series of decent to good performances against the England A side and the county sides (2nd string) on this England tour. I'm still not completely sold on him and think he needs to provide more performances, but honestly we are at a lack of options unless they open with Fawad Alam again after 5 years, so he may get a look in vs WI.

Other than that there's a whole host of current middle order batsmen who were initially openers, but due to the downright pathetic conditions which you have to face as an opener back in Pakistani grounds, and tbh, their own selfishness or their team captains', they have decided to demote themselves down the order. Umar Amin and Babar Azam being 2 of them. And IIRC Saud Shakeel was/is a top order bat too but is being used at 5 or 6.

Taufeeq has retired from intl cricket as a result of playing in MCL, otherwise he was a front runner after a solid season this past competition.

Last edited:
I would give that as an illustration of my argument, to be honest.

Firstly, they were at home.

Secondly, they lost Test series 4-0 within a year away to both England and Australia.

Yet as soon as those ATGs like Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman retired, they did much better in their next Test series in England and Australia, losing 3-1 and 2-0.

To me that proves the point. It doesn't matter how good your veterans are - and they don't come much better than Dravid, Laxman and Tendulkar! If you persist with them too long you will do worse away from home than you should do. Even inferior players like Dhawan and Yadav will do better than veterans like Dravid and Zaheer.

It's all about balance. Balance in terms of how many all-rounders, spinners and quicks. And balance between youth, experience and veterans.

Ideally no Test team should ever have more than 2 players under 23 or 2 players over 32 in it.

The Australian team which lost The Ashes in England a year ago had too many veterans - Rogers, Clarke, Voges, Watson, Haddin and Johnson. Six starters aged over 30.

The Australian team which won 2-0 in New Zealand earlier this year had got it down by the end to 1 player aged over 30 - Adam Voges.

And even though some of the players are not as good as their predecessors, it's a much better team for the overhaul.

The point is had we subscribed to that theory we would have most certainly not won that WC because all the veterans contributed consistently (SRT Most runs , Zak Most Wkts). And it is not easy to win at home. Ask Imran Khan whom you rate so much. Infact India was the first one to win a cup at home and suddenly magically it all seemed too simple and easy. :))

out of interest, does anyone know where there are comprehensive searchable list A stats for pakistan? theres very little that easily accessible on the official pcb site, unsurprisingly, and cricinfo seems to have only the last couple of seasons that are easily to get too.

Back