"When it comes to fitness, I'll never allow Azam Khan to get near the team": Shahid Afridi

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Shahid Afridi speaks about Azam Khan's fitness during a program on local channel:

"Regarding fitness, I'll never allow Azam Khan to get near the team. I also praise him for being strong and hitting the ball very nicely, and his wicket-keeping skills are good, especially in English conditions where the ball carries well to the keeper"

"However, in the West Indies, the ball will remain low and it will be difficult to keep, and I fear he may struggle. Keeping wickets, especially when spinners are bowling, requires a high level of fitness, as you need to keep your body low to the ground."

I am sure Azam has the resources to go for Liposuction.
Liposuction is for body contouring to get rid of excess fat and saggy skin, often women do it after giving birth or obese men who've lost 30 to 40kg and just need to get rid of the excess skin. Or in very rare cases men who are affected by gynocausmatia which can't be rid of by exercise.

What good will it do to Azam? He keeps gaining weight 24/7?

Liposuction is for body contouring to get rid of excess fat and saggy skin, often women do it after giving birth or obese men who've lost 30 to 40kg and just need to get rid of the excess skin. Or in very rare cases men who are affected by gynocausmatia which can't be rid of by exercise.

ozempic it is

If Pakistan has any outside chance in this WC it will be nullified by Babar's insistence on playing Shadab as an allrounder and Azam as a keeper. Personally, I think the latter is even more dangerous than the former despite Shadab's atrocious form.

Azam will definitely shell one catch every second game, if that on average costs 20-30 runs then that is 10-15 runs per game. Add to it at least 5 runs missed in the field in the form of byes, leg byes, misfields and balls left for others and he starts 15-20 runs in the negative. Even with a 150 strike rate he is simply not worth it. If Azam is a necessity then hide him somewhere in the field (good luck), but giving him the most specialized role in the game is not just stupidity but sheer insanity.

If Pakistan has any outside chance in this WC it will be nullified by Babar's insistence on playing Shadab as an allrounder and Azam as a keeper. Personally, I think the latter is even more dangerous than the former despite Shadab's atrocious form.

Azam will definitely shell one catch every second game, if that on average costs 20-30 runs then that is 10-15 runs per game. Add to it at least 5 runs missed in the field in the form of byes, leg byes, misfields and balls left for others and he starts 15-20 runs in the negative. Even with a 150 strike rate he is simply not worth it. If Azam is a necessity then hide him somewhere in the field (good luck), but giving him the most specialized role in the game is not just stupidity but sheer insanity.
Why is azam even a nessisty. He's only good for minnow bashing, but besides Ireland no one else will give him that opportunity.

Current USA and Canada team is filled with b string League superstars who are all superior to azam, as azam is more of a C string Leagie superstar, mostly their for entertainment against trundlers.

He can only perform against Ireland due to their 110kph pacers but even then he must hope against hope that Mark adair doesn't come to bowl

Why is azam even a nessisty. He's only good for minnow bashing, but besides Ireland no one else will give him that opportunity.

Current USA and Canada team is filled with b string League superstars who are all superior to azam, as azam is more of a C string Leagie superstar, mostly their for entertainment against trundlers.

He can only perform against Ireland due to their 110kph pacers but even then he must hope against hope that Mark adair doesn't come to bowl
Ideally he shouldn't be anywhere near the national setup, not even A or B teams. He is a club level cricketer with abject fitness but one with the right connections. But in the long run all sports are meritocracies and those who do not belong get exposed. The sad thing is that exposure will come at the expense of the national team. For the team's sake I hope he comes good as the management seems hellbent on ensuring he plays until he does.

I would suggest to the media and ex cricketers that the time is now to shut their mouths. He has had plenty of time to comment on Azam. Now that the squad is final there is literally 0 benefit to anyone in saying if it was up to you he wouldn't be in the team at all.

Conduct a post mortem after the WC if needed.

For now give them your duas and good wishes.

This where the likes of the coaching need to put their foot down kirsten , Gillespie and azhar mahmood.

You can't have 2 liabilities in the team like azam and saim.

Azam isn't needed because you have the same player in the form of the mercurial chacha who does the same job but is more valuable since he can chip in with the ball.

There is also a theory of athlete's performance dropping after losing too much body weight. The correlation between enhancement of performance and lowering of weight is not scientifically established.

I am sure Azam has the resources to go for Liposuction.

Am not an expert on the surgery but not sure if it would actually make him fitter ? he’d still need to put the work in wouldn’t he ?

"Regarding fitness, I'll never allow Azam Khan to get near the team.

Surely that’s the most sensible thing
shahid 0(1) Afridi has said in his life.

Anyway Mr. Afridi, I do appreciate your view on this, you were a very very fit man. But be thankful you played for Pakistan, because other teams around the world would not accept players with one brain cell only. Thank you.

Anyway Mr. Afridi, I do appreciate your view on this, you were a very very fit man. But be thankful you played for Pakistan, because other teams around the world would not accept players with one brain cell only. Thank you.
Every team has a player like him..

Afridi can easily be manipulated into saying saucy stuff by cunning Pakistani media. That's all he's done.

Yeah fitness wise you won't allow any player like him but if he can stand and deliver good then I would take him any day.

Yeah fitness wise you won't allow any player like him but if he can stand and deliver good then I would take him any day.
Unfortunately cricket is a sport that requires physical movement. If Azam represented Pakistan in darts, then fine he can 'stand and deliver'. Unfortunately for him cricket also involves running, bending, stretching, diving.... all of which is a struggle for Azam.

You make it sound as if Azam is some big power hitter who has scored some major runs vs SENA / India. Minus Ireland who are part timers, do you even know his record? He should not even be in the squad let alone playing 11.

any selector / Captain that selects Azam, should never be taken serious again.

Question is will Azam even be what he is now if he lost the weight? He's not a good player by any stretch of the imagination. But he can hit sixes and his strong base and massive center of gravity is probably a big reason why some of his hits are so clean.

Can’t really blame Azam Khan, he grew up in a typical Pakistan household where if you’re fat you’re considered “healthy” and if you’re skinny you’re considered weak.

He probably grew up hearing all sorts of compliments from the female relatives.

“MashaAllah, bohat bara hogya”

“Jawan hogya”

“Muscley nikalay howe”

You make it sound as if Azam is some big power hitter who has scored some major runs vs SENA / India. Minus Ireland who are part timers, do you even know his record? He should not even be in the squad let alone playing 11.

any selector / Captain that selects Azam, should never be taken serious again.
Erm.. where did I say that?

Edgbaston was the first time I have seen Azam playing live and it was an interesting experience.

As a wicket-keeper, his movement is club level which is no surprise.

Yes he can hit a cricket ball hard now and then, but I think it's a risk having him as keeper, because you know he will cost you in byes, dropped catches too.

Edgbaston was the first time I have seen Azam playing live and it was an interesting experience.

Yes he can hit a cricket ball hard now and then, but I think it's a risk having him as keeper, because you know he will cost you in byes, dropped catches too.
Yes, hit 6s vs league bowlers or part timers (Ireland).

He's more agile then rizwan according to experts.

Will be a national shame if an unfit player like Azam keeps wicket and fit & agile Rizwan is left lurking at 3rd man

He will score 20 runs and leak 30 while keeping, so it's better to place a brick behind the wickets instead of this babloo that brick will still effectively stop some runs.

He will score 20 runs and leak 30 while keeping, so it's better to place a brick behind the wickets instead of this babloo that brick will still effectively stop some runs.

I was wondering how he collects hard throws, slightly mis-directed throws not to mention slightly widish deliveries from bowlers. That is where the athleiticism will be tested. Will he be as good as Moin khan.

I was wondering how he collects hard throws, slightly mis-directed throws not to mention slightly widish deliveries from bowlers. That is where the athleiticism will be tested. Will he be as good as Moin khan.
Moin was skinny and very active during his time. Azam hardly leans forward during wicket keeping due to his big tummy. He can't be a good keeper if he doesn't lose weight.

There’s no way Azam can effectively play at the WK position simply because he has too much weight and will tire himself out with the repetitive up and down motion. Lets put this into perspective by estimating the amount of force placed on his leg joints when he squats:

I’m guessing he weighs about 300lbs, and the forces on knee joints is about 3-7x the body weight depending on how far down he squats. Based on what I’ve seen it’s not much so let’s go with a factor of 5x. This means about 1500lbs of force on the leg joints for a partial squat. To put this into layman terms, 1500lbs of force is equivalent to a small adult elephant’s foot pressing down.

So every time you see Azam Khan attempting to squat in the WK position, he’s feeling an elephant stepping on his legs.

Azam Khan in a nutshell

mfG33vK.png

The game has progressed too much for teams to "hide" a player as a wicketkeeper.

He's one of the worst keepers to have played for Pakistan. If not the worst. It's senseless and you have to be the GOAT T20 batsman to even remotely justify something like this.

You can clearly tell this dude has never ever actually hit the gym and his so called stunts in gym and videos were just that, a fake fitness influencer vlog.

Even if you eat too much, intense regular workout sessions won't ever lead to a body like that. You'll still be overweight because you're eating too much, but you'll never be this level.

This is clearly 3500+ calories consumed daily with zero workout sessions inbetween.

Last edited by a moderator:

If Azam Khan was batting like Andre Russel or Suryakumar, I would have happily taken this guy in the team with this pathetic physique, but so far he is just a burden and a dead weight that this team has to lift for nothing. He has nothing to show when it comes to performances that matter the most but the only thing he has got to show is this what I am seeing atm.

Considering this guy did a 1 mile run slower than an average person who can walk the same distance .

It's high level nepotism he's been selected.

You guys are body shaming the biggest hitter in Pakistan cricket… tch tch tch
But Babloo is not taking it seriously at all because he knows the selection wont be based on merit. All he needs to do is stay close to Babar Azam to remain in his friendship circle.

Considering this guy did a 1 mile run slower than an average person who can walk the same distance .

It's high level nepotism he's been selected.
I am pretty much sure that he got selected one last time for Pakistan, next time u wil see him making parathas for himself. lol

I am pretty much sure that he got selected one last time for Pakistan, next time u wil see him making parathas for himself. lol
He got selected because selectors are idiots.

A nepotism person gets to book his place for 30 games if he manages to perform once.

The Ireland game booked it for him

Its really a sad portrait of Pakistan cricket that a unfit player have been included in the world cup team . Just shocking . And include the name of that spraygun fast bowler and a captain who is always busy of making personal achievement, Pakistan actually never deserved to be in super 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never say never with the PCB, If he scores a couple of quick 30s say in the 2025 Uganda Special league for the Kampala Gorillas, that's all it takes for the selectors to chose him!

As ridiculous as it sounds, that's exactly what happened. So the next T20 World cup is co-hosted by Sri Lanka. Azam Khan will play the T20 league in SL, a few scores again an unknown bowling line-up and he'll be selected because apparently, 'he knows the conditions'!

Azam Is better Thn Chacha. Chacha should work on his fitness
No he isn't.

Chacha is bad I 100% agree and ik you hate chacha with a passion, but Azam Khan is much much worse.

Although their isn't much I can say about chacha or anything good either.

Azam Khan and Iftikhar ahmed chapter should be closed now. There is no discussion needed as both should not be in the team anymore. Time to get rid of these hacks as they are good for nothing.

Back