"When we are rotating the players, we will have both successes and failures": Wahab Riaz

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Member Selection Committee, Wahab Riaz Speaking during the squad announcement press conference:

When asked about the delay in the squad announcement:

“We are all on the same page. The captain and coach, Gary Kirsten, have had a mutual discussion with us. There are some delays due to fitness issues. For instance, we are expecting Haris Rauf to be completely fit by the time of the England series. His rehabilitation has already started, and he is bowling 8 to 10 overs daily in the nets. We have kept these factors in mind and have announced the squad a bit late. After the match against England on the 21st, we will announce the final squad for the T20 World Cup. We are monitoring a few players who have minor fitness issues.”

When asked about Hassan Ali’s selection:

“Hassan Ali was already under consideration. He was playing county cricket because his contract was ongoing. However, we had to see that we needed an experienced pacer like Haris Rauf. Yes, Hassan Ali has come as a backup for Haris Rauf and this clarity has been given to Hassan Ali. So hopefully, if Haris Rauf becomes fit, he will be our first choice. The ICC event is a very big event and we have seen that Hassan Ali has bowled well in the new ICC competitions and he has experience. For this reason, Hassan Ali has been selected as a backup for Haris Rauf.”

About the rotation policy in the upcoming series:

“Firstly, we couldn’t achieve the result we wanted in the New Zealand series with the team we had, and we accept this responsibility. As we move forward and talk about the combination, when we are rotating, we will have both successes and failures. For example, if you see, Usman Khan made his debut, three of our players got unfit in this series. After that, we were looking at having young bowlers in bowling as well, like Abbas Afridi and Zaman Khan. When you have to make a team and you have to look at the combination for the World Cup, you have to finalize what your best combination will be. For this, we understand that losing is not a good thing, but at least they are trying, so it is very important for us. You will see in the England series that our best combination will play, and that could also be our World Cup combination.”
When asked about the upcoming T20 World Cup squad and the structure of the team, focusing on the roles of key players and the opening pair:

"When you form a team, you identify your key players or those the team can rely on, and right now, that is undoubtedly Babar and Rizwan. That's why we need someone at the start, with Babar or Rizwan, and that we have in Saim's form. He's a more attacking player who can be aggressive at the top."

"Then, in the middle overs where we face problems, we need a player who can lead the team. So, I think this is all part of the planning. If we realize that we need to make changes moving forward, we will make them. We are working in the best interest of the team, and we will do whatever is the best."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the selection of Hasan Ali for the England series is because he is currently playing in the County Championship 2024 and has familiarity with English conditions. As far as the rotation policy is concerned, during the New Zealand series, I didn't see any logical rotation of players, as Babar Azam played as an opener throughout the series. What the rotation policy was actually meant to be was to let Imad Wasim even open the innings.

Can someone explain the rotation please?

Much of the so called 'rotation' was forced by injuries.

We included a relatively mature squad for a C team series. We brought two old timers back.

And still we got whooped.

Wahab can't pull the wool over our eyes with these kind of statements.

I think the selection of Hasan Ali for the England series is because he is currently playing in the County Championship 2024 and has familiarity with English conditions. As far as the rotation policy is concerned, during the New Zealand series, I didn't see any logical rotation of players, as Babar Azam played as an opener throughout the series. What the rotation policy was actually meant to be was to let Imad Wasim even open the innings.
Babar-e-Azam doesn't rotate. He rotates others.

You fail every time without rotating Babar and Rizwan. What’s the reason?
But but Rizwan has been rotated..he's no 3 now, no longer am opener, its totally different.

Come on Rana, I thought you were better then this (Said every Rizwan fan ever)

But but Rizwan has been rotated..he's no 3 now, no longer am opener, its totally different.

Come on Rana, I thought you were better then this (Said every Rizwan fan ever)
Mujhe chain aur sakoon nahi aana until I don’t see Rizwan’s name in the playing XI or confirmed number 9 batter

We are lost with these jokers in power, waht rotation did they apply?
Babar played all games and opened the innings every single time.

Also it seems they believe in some fantasy world, I mean the way they talk you would think we are performing great with babar and Rizwan hitting match winnings runs 24/7

No Mohammad Wasim Jr? Surprised about that, he's way better than Hasan Ali

Rotating with the same failure players won't bring you any success. And this rotation policy seems good only when you have bench strength.

Mir Hamza, Aamer Jamal, Wasim Jr, Zaman Khan, Usama Mir, even my grandmother would be better options than rotating Hasan Ali into the side.

Mir Hamza, Aamer Jamal, Wasim Jr, Zaman Khan, Usama Mir, even my grandmother would be better options than rotating Hasan Ali into the side.
come on man we need youngsters like Hasan Ali, Mohd Amir and Imad Wasim need to give them all chance for rotation thats why sometimes failure

Worst selection just because he had been tried again and again but no great avail.
thats what our meesna selectors do, remember the time Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad youngsters were given their chance at a 30th 'comeback' when Misbah the great honest man of Pakistan selected them for T20 as his first task at the job

Will not be surprised if Babar will fight for his buddy Nawaz and Fahim as well and drop Imad and Nasim. That's why you shouldn't make someone captain who has his personal favorites instead of winning combination.

dont know on rotation policy why do we get the same players everytime who are the known failures, maybe due to dosti yari culture in Pakistan Team.

Harsh but true Wahab as player as sports minister and as selector is a failure

Right now we are just failing and only failing. Rotation is not seen like it was supposed to. What type of rotation is this when you are bringing Hasan Ali back in the team with nothing to show. Players are getting dropped without getting a single game like tayyab, or farhan who was not given enough chances.

Back