Which players from Pakistan should be groomed for the next year's ICC T20 World Cup?

indianpanacea

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
Odi World Cup is a gone case for Pakistan.Which players should be groomed for next year t20 World Cup?

Odi World Cup is a gone case for Pakistan.Which players should be groomed for next year t20 World Cup?
The t20 WC is in 8 months. Cant really groom players before that. This will most probably be the eleven and rightly so

1- Rizwan
2- Saim Ayub
3- Babar
4- Tayyab Tahir/Azam Khan
5- Iftikhar
6- Imad
7- Shadab
8- Shaheen
9- Naseem
10- Haris Rauf
11- Abrar Ahmed/Usama Mir

Azam Khan definitely needs to be in the 11.

He has experience of playing in the Windies and has been successful in the PSL as well.

Two bad games against Afg on turning tracks against Rashid and co. isn't the best way to judge him.

Imad Wasim is another name that has experience in the Windies and needs to be in the 11.

The t20 WC is in 8 months. Cant really groom players before that. This will most probably be the eleven and rightly so

1- Rizwan
2- Saim Ayub
3- Babar
4- Tayyab Tahir/Azam Khan
5- Iftikhar
6- Imad
7- Shadab
8- Shaheen
9- Naseem
10- Haris Rauf
11- Abrar Ahmed/Usama Mir
After 4 it's a pretty weak batting line

This year's PSL is very important. Pick the top performers for the world cup. We need power hitter and good spinner as well.

This year's PSL is very important. Pick the top performers for the world cup. We need power hitter and good spinner as well.
We need good average batsmen with good strike rate that should be the criteria no more picking players on past glory

After 4 it's a pretty weak batting line
This is precisely the reason mediocre players like Nawaz and Faheem get to play

Enough of wanting batting till 8 especially in a t20 match. Shaheen is good enough for 8

Azam Khan is no talent.

Not only he’s not an athlete (failed at his primary job), his reflexes will NOT work against any top 4 bowling sides.

Do not judge him based on meaningless T20 leagues.

Also,

Saim Ayub and HARIS are a must.

Imad Wasim and Nawaz need to be kept out - both truly mediocre players good at nothing.

Kick out RIZWAN again as he’s an accumulator. HARIS gets his spot.

The top 5 needs to be packed with power hitters. Only one accumulator allowed and that is Babar Azam.

Get two good spinners in the side. Rest Shaheen and Naseem are mostly fine.

Haris (+)
Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Hitter
Hitter/Umar Akmal
Iftikhar
Spin allrounder
Spin/fast allrounder
Shaheen
Naseem
Abrar/Mir

How come someone with little knowledge of international cricket can talk about Azam Khan as a possible candidate for the national team. He is too unfit and overweight , can play some OK knocks in some pajama leagues but not even close to be good enough for some serious ( international ) cricket.

How come someone with little knowledge of international cricket can talk about Azam Khan as a possible candidate for the national team. He is too unfit and overweight , can play some OK knocks in some pajama leagues but not even close to be good enough for some serious ( international ) cricket.
I was not a big supporter as well

Because picking him would set a very wrong example that you can be in pathetic shape and still be picked for the national team

However, I tuned into a CPL match and that guy can bat. He is the power-hitter the whole country has been crying out for the past 10 years
He can be our Klassen/Maxwell

Apart from Batsmen mentioned above.. I agree we need a left arm wrist spinner in PCT, like Kuldeep Yadav,Tabraiz Shamsi,Noor Ahmed.

Surprised no one is throwing Hurairas name in the mix.

I would like the PCB to go to the T20 WC without Babar and Rizwan for a change. If that doesn't send a message to these two to improve their strike rates and stroke play in the T20 and ODI format then I don't know what will.

The players I want to see doing their best and groomed properly will be Saim Ayub, Arshad iqbal, Arafat Minhas.

Saim Ayub, Azam Khan, M Harris, Imad Wasim they all should be part of the playing 11.

We need to git rid of Babar and Rizwan as openers. Enough of their selfish run scoring and poor starts at the top.

A lot of grooming is upon players themselves. The board or the system criticism while valid can't be an excuse anymore for players being not upto the mark. What stops an Imam ul Haq or a Babar Azam or a Rizwan to hire a personal coach to hone their six hitting skills. Players all over the world are doing that. When you make good money, you got to invest some part of it on ur own development.

Azam Khan is no talent.

Not only he’s not an athlete (failed at his primary job), his reflexes will NOT work against any top 4 bowling sides.

Do not judge him based on meaningless T20 leagues.

Also,

Saim Ayub and HARIS are a must.

Imad Wasim and Nawaz need to be kept out - both truly mediocre players good at nothing.

Kick out RIZWAN again as he’s an accumulator. HARIS gets his spot.

The top 5 needs to be packed with power hitters. Only one accumulator allowed and that is Babar Azam.

Get two good spinners in the side. Rest Shaheen and Naseem are mostly fine.

Haris (+)
Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Hitter
Hitter/Umar Akmal
Iftikhar
Spin allrounder
Spin/fast allrounder
Shaheen
Naseem
Abrar/Mir

Your strategy is appropriate but the drawback is easy to see. We do not have the personnel to execute your plans. The fact we have Umar Akmal's name floating in there says enough without me needing to go into it too much further.

Pakistan tried a 'modern' approach with Khushdil Shah and Asif Ali and it failed miserably. At the end of the day these guys are not striking that much better than our so called accumulators and cannot build an innings to save their lives.

I don't see what Pakistan can really do but go for an alternate approach where they use the best batsmen available to them but accept their limitations for what they are. Pakistan are not going to be a 200+ side under Babar and Rizwan and that is a shame in this modern era. However they will consistently ensure middling totals and give our half-decent bowling attack something to defend.

If our bowling attack in t20's was poor then taking a gamble with 'hitters' would make more sense but based on past evidence it's actually not the case. Pakistan have done well with their current strategy if you are realistic and appreciate that we are not world beaters in this era of cricket.

I also think that Saim and Haris deserve time to cook in domestics before becoming the lynchpins of our LOI sides. Usama Mir has been shot to pieces in this WC and God knows where Haider is now. These two are genuine talents. We need to give them time to adjust before throwing them into the fire lest we lose them as well.

Your strategy is appropriate but the drawback is easy to see. We do not have the personnel to execute your plans. The fact we have Umar Akmal's name floating in there says enough without me needing to go into it too much further.

Pakistan tried a 'modern' approach with Khushdil Shah and Asif Ali and it failed miserably. At the end of the day these guys are not striking that much better than our so called accumulators and cannot build an innings to save their lives.

I don't see what Pakistan can really do but go for an alternate approach where they use the best batsmen available to them but accept their limitations for what they are. Pakistan are not going to be a 200+ side under Babar and Rizwan and that is a shame in this modern era. However they will consistently ensure middling totals and give our half-decent bowling attack something to defend.

If our bowling attack in t20's was poor then taking a gamble with 'hitters' would make more sense but based on past evidence it's actually not the case. Pakistan have done well with their current strategy if you are realistic and appreciate that we are not world beaters in this era of cricket.

I also think that Saim and Haris deserve time to cook in domestics before becoming the lynchpins of our LOI sides. Usama Mir has been shot to pieces in this WC and God knows where Haider is now. These two are genuine talents. We need to give them time to adjust before throwing them into the fire lest we lose them as well.

Anyone with some eye for talent could tell that Khushdil is a complete fraud.

He’s a talentless leg side hack that too with weak reflexes against fast bowling. Was never going to work out.

Asif Ali was also a leg side hack but had little better reflexes and did deliver in some matches. But he too wasn’t a long term option.

We have no choice but to groom and select modern day batters, those who can clear the fence easily.

We have to try and fail - better than not trying at all and sticking with only accumulators.

Someone like a peak Umar Akmal at this stage would be ideal for Pakistan as he was a complete package with shots all around the ground, no weakness against pace either.

I know he’s past his prime now but we gotta find 2009-10 Umar Akmal type of batters.

Sadly we have regressed to a decade back now.

Anyone with some eye for talent could tell that Khushdil is a complete fraud.

He’s a talentless leg side hack that too with weak reflexes against fast bowling. Was never going to work out.

Asif Ali was also a leg side hack but had little better reflexes and did deliver in some matches. But he too wasn’t a long term option.

We have no choice but to groom and select modern day batters, those who can clear the fence easily.

We have to try and fail - better than not trying at all and sticking with only accumulators.

Someone like a peak Umar Akmal at this stage would be ideal for Pakistan as he was a complete package with shots all around the ground, no weakness against pace either.

I know he’s past his prime now but we gotta find 2009-10 Umar Akmal type of batters.

Sadly we have regressed to a decade back now.

I just think we have to be realistic about the resources we have.

It's like Todd Boehly asking Chelsea to score more goals by playing a 4-2-4. It's a nice idea but it's not going to work when you have Jackson and Madueke as your forwards.

Funnily enough i think it depends on our bowling. If they aren't able to defend average scores anymore then it is time to throw caution to the wind and pull anyone from domestics who can hit a long ball. But even those names are few and far between.

I just look at Saim Ayub's build and i think he needs 2 more years to cook before we select him. He's built like a little boy at the moment. Any other country would give him time - if we want to play the 'modern' way that includes following their processes too.

What will happen is the usual mess.

No planning, and at the last minute throw players in/out just before the tournament starts.

If we were in an ideal world, Babar’s spot in the team wouldn’t be guaranteed. He has a hell of a lot to prove in this format.

Saim Ayub, Haseebullah, Sufyan. Maybe Hurraira as well.

Don't waste your time on others. They are all terrible. 0 talent, 0 skills.

Seeing as all our batters have a seniority complex and don't like giving younger better players a chance

Stick to bowlers

Abbas afridi
Arshad iqbal
Zafar Gohar
Amad butt
Zahid mehmood
Kamran ghulam

We need hassan ali type bowlers who are a few inches taller and can seam
And also orthodox off spin which can contain batsmen

I am NOT of the view that we need 'hitters' who will score 9 (6) and leave us 65-4 off 10 overs in most matches. We don't have the personnel so we need our best batsmen present in this format who will actually put up a defendable total.

Rizwan
Fakhar
Babar
Saud Shakeel
?
?
Imad Wasim
Mohammad Wasim
Shaheen
Naseem
Rauf

I think Chacha and Shadab's roles are up for grabs. If we can't even find an obvious replacement for Chacha there's no doubt for me that Saud starts in this format too.

As i said before i don't want Haris or Saim to be in the first XI at this early stage. Both should start on the bench.

Haris badly needs to work on his technique and Saim could do with a solid gym and diet plan.

I would aim to unleash them around the CT 2025 at home barring an exceptional PSL or domestic return. We have just destroyed Usama Mir's career so let's not do the same to these two.

My squad

Rizwan
Saim Ayub
Muhammed Haris
Babar Azam
Tayyab Tahir
Iftikhar Ahmed
Imad Wasim
Shaheen
sufyaan Muqeem
Rauf
Naseem shah

Shadab/abrar Ahmed
Azam Khan
Wasim Jnr
Arshad Iqbal
Agha Salman

The one player that should be the first priority is Saim Ayub.

Please No Azam Khan no matter how big sixes he hits in some domestic leagues. He will only bring shame to Pakistan and also to the game of Cricket, where such an unathletic, unfit and fat guy can make it to the Top Tier.

Back