Which side will win the India vs Pakistan clash at the ACC Asia Cup in Dubai on 28th August?

Which side will win the India vs Pakistan clash at the ACC Asia Cup in Dubai on 28th August?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Ricky has his say...

==

Ricky Ponting has used the latest episode of The ICC Review to reveal what he thinks would make the rivalry between India and Pakistan even bigger - and declared who he thinks will claim bragging rights and win the Asia Cup.

The rivalry between India and Pakistan is one of cricket’s biggest and all eyes will be on Dubai on August 28 when the two foes go head-to-head.

What makes the rivalry between India and Pakistan so great?

Ponting played in a lot of big matches at major tournaments during his career, with the rivalry between Australia and England during the Ashes the greatest he experienced.

The Australia captain relished the extra demands that went with those clashes and says the anticipation and pressure to perform must be further amplified when India take on Pakistan.

“To be totally honest it's one that we've been starved of, haven't we … looking back the last 15 or 20 years,” Ponting told Sanjana Ganesan on The ICC Review.

“As a cricket lover like I am and a cricket observer, any time those sorts of battles come up it's almost always nice to sit back and watch because everything just goes up a notch, doesn't it?”

How can this already great rivalry be even further strengthened?

India and Pakistan haven’t played each other at Test level since they fought out a high-scoring draw in Bengaluru in 2007, with Sourav Ganguly’s 239 making headlines.

There is still an outside chance the two nations could meet again in the final of the ICC World Test Championship next year and Ponting would love to see the rivalry grow even further with the addition of more red-ball cricket.

“When I think about rivalries, Australia and England and Ashes cricket is the pinnacle I’ve always thought of for our Test match game,” Ponting noted.

“I'm sure India and Pakistanis will say the same about that and the actual rivalry would be the pinnacle of Test match cricket for those two countries as well.”

Who wins between India and Pakistan at the Asia Cup?

While Pakistan hold the edge overall in head-to-head meetings, it's a different story at the Asia Cup with India currently clinging to a slender 7-5 advantage (one no result) from 13 matches.

While Ponting expects a tight tussle between the rivals, he believes India have the depth to prevail.

“I'll stick with India to win that clash against Pakistan," Ponting predicted will happen in the August 28 match.

"That's taking nothing away from Pakistan because they are an incredible cricket nation that continue to present out-and-out superstar players.

Squad balance and Ponting’s predictions

Ponting has seen many of India's T20I stars during his time coaching in the IPL and has kept an eye on how they are preparing ahead of the T20 World Cup.

India have won 17 of their 21 T20I matches this calendar year despite heavy rotation of players by Rahul Dravid and the selection panel.

One absentee despite the changes is fast-bowler Mohammed Shami, who has not featured for India in T20I cricket since the last T20 World Cup.

Time looks to be running out for him to make an impact in Australia, having also been left out of the Asia Cup squad.

While acknowledging the shortest format is Shami’s weakest, the Australian legend stresses the 31-year-old could certainly do a job should he make the squad.

“He's been a very, very good bowler for India for a long time now. If you look at his strengths, his Test cricket is probably where he thrives the most,” said Ponting.

“I think there are better fast bowlers in Indian T20 cricket than Shami and they've only named three (for the Asia Cup). So if there's potentially four named in the squad he might be the fourth man in.

“I would think they'll probably only have the four quicks coming to Australia. They’ll still want to bring a lot of spin here even though the wickets are probably not that conducive.”

Irrespective of who is picked though, Ponting is strong on India’s chances.

“It's always hard to go past India in any tournament, not just an Asia Cup, but I think every time we talk about the T20 World Cup which is coming up, I think that India will be right in the thick of it there," Ponting added.

“Their depth is definitely better than the other teams and I think India will win the Asia Cup.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2738919

T20 game and Ponting wants to predict a winner?

India marginal favourites, but Pakistan showed last time what they are capable of in this format.

Impossible to predict a winner of a T20 game, but of course I have to vote for Pakistan...

Hopefully another Shaheen special!

Whoever bats first will win it. I think it'll be India coz they have the stronger batting side.

India will win it, doesn't matter whether we win the toss or not.
Condition - Rohit Sharma should be the captain.

Too many hit or miss players. Apart from Babar, Shahin, Rizwan and Shadab others cannot be rely upon.

India should win this easily because there are reports coming that Shaheen is not fit. :inti

Shaheen Shah Afridi unfit to play Asia Cup 2022 clash vs India? Pakistan captain Babar Azam gives BIG update on his injury

https://zeenews.india.com/cricket/s...m-gives-big-update-on-his-injury-2496437.html

Atm, Babar said that the TM hopes he gets fit in time.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he misses it though. He has been poorly managed and the TM is secretive about injuries to fast bowlers (for fear of criticism). Makes no sense to me. As if the fans are blind and won't notice.

If Shaheen isn't fully fit, no point playing him at all. Not worth it risking aggravating injury.

We have a lot of important cricket coming up this year/early next year and it would be an absolute shame if Shaheen ends up missing the wc or england and NZ series in bargain.

Dahani and Naseem will have to step up in the Asia Cup in that case, and I'm ok with it.

India should win this easily because there are reports coming that Shaheen is not fit. :inti

Shaheen Shah Afridi unfit to play Asia Cup 2022 clash vs India? Pakistan captain Babar Azam gives BIG update on his injury

https://zeenews.india.com/cricket/s...m-gives-big-update-on-his-injury-2496437.html

Bumrah is also not playing for India...so that evens it out. Also, India is going with 2 rookee fast bowlers and Pakistan has got much better seam attack even without Shaheen.

India will win it, doesn't matter whether we win the toss or not.
Condition - Rohit Sharma should be the captain.

Backing India to win this one.

From where you guys getting so much confidence from?

Rahul and Kohli both coming back after long lay off and will bat at top 3. No one is sure about their form.

Rohit himself is not in great form.

Pant is a failure so far in T20s

Our best bowler is out injured and we are playing 2 rookee fast bowlers, one of which has got an E/R of 8.5

If this confidence is due to recent series wins in Eng and WI, check was SA and NZ did to same countries after India series. A case of poor cricket by opposition rather than anything spectacular from our end.

If Babar and Shaheen aren't fit then no need to play this match or even this tournament. It's a T20 now and not ODI tournament anymore so doesn't hold much value in cricketing term. Much important series coming up later so they both are much needed there fully fit.

Regardless it will be a decent game with no favorite. Pakistan has edge, get Indian openers quick and they will pack up.

Why have so many Indian's turned against Kohli? If like in domestic football transfers were possible Pak should have tried to sign him. Imagine a middle order of Babar and Kohli doing the business for Pak:Riz

Bumrah is also not playing for India...so that evens it out. Also, India is going with 2 rookee fast bowlers and Pakistan has got much better seam attack even without Shaheen.

Shaheen was the difference when these two teams played against each other last time, Bumrah on the other hand has struggled against Pakistan. Pakistan will miss both Bumrah and Shaheen badly. :inti

Shaheen was the difference when these two teams played against each other last time, Bumrah on the other hand has struggled against Pakistan. Pakistan will miss both Bumrah and Shaheen badly. :inti

Lol man...you guys behave as if that was the only match ever played between these 2 sides. I have never seen 1 T20 match got so hype. Shaheen had a great match that day...thats all.

Bumrah is India's best bowler just like Shaheen is for Pakistan. Infact, Bumrah has got better stats than Shaheen in T20 cricket. So if Shaheen miss this match...it will only be played on equal footing since India will also play without its premier bowler.

It all comes down to how you perform on the day

India's batting has more quality and depth but there is no reason why Pakistan cannot beat them if they play to their potential.

As with all limited overs games, batting and setting a good total is the key

Lol man...you guys behave as if that was the only match ever played between these 2 sides. I have never seen 1 T20 match got so hype. Shaheen had a great match that day...thats all.

Bumrah is India's best bowler just like Shaheen is for Pakistan. Infact, Bumrah has got better stats than Shaheen in T20 cricket. So if Shaheen miss this match...it will only be played on equal footing since India will also play without its premier bowler.

In 2018 asia cup Bumrah Averaged 13 against Pakistan, took 4 wickets giving away 52 runs at a measly economy rate of 3.0.

Similarly in 2016 asia cup Bumrah gave 8 runs in 3 overs and took 1 wkt.

Bumrah has done well against Pakistan except in a few matches.

Last edited:
T20 game and Ponting wants to predict a winner?

Pakistan's middle order is looking real weak with Asif Ali and Iftikhar. I understand that Hafeez is retired and Shoaib Malik is close to it, But no Imad? it will fall on Khushdil & Shahdab if the top 3 don't finish it.
Bowling is also very dependent on Shaheen.

Pakistan's middle order is looking real weak with Asif Ali and Iftikhar. I understand that Hafeez is retired and Shoaib Malik is close to it, But no Imad? it will fall on Khushdil & Shahdab if the top 3 don't finish it.
Bowling is also very dependent on Shaheen.

We will be fine if Dahani plays.

Shaheen is obviously irreplaceable and our biggest match winner, but the team must not lose confidence. We need to trust our resources, we have enough in fast bowling. Even spin isn't bad with Shadab.

In batting, I hope we give Haider a go. He can provide a much needed reinforcement.

Absence of a good all-round option could be an issue for Pakistan as pointed out by Aaqib:

“The difference between the two teams lies in their batting. India’s batting is still more experienced. If a batter like Rohit Sharma clicks, he can single-handedly win the match for India. Similarly with Fakhar Zaman. If he plays with control, he can win the match for Pakistan. But the middle-order line-up of India and Pakistan, that’s the difference. Also, their all-rounder makes a difference. Because Pakistan don’t have a Hardik Pandya like all-rounder"

I do think even with Shaheen and Bumrah out Pakistan stil have a better bowling attack.

I would not risk Shaheen even if he's 75 percent fit we have enough back up bowlers who can do a job.

I do think even with Shaheen and Bumrah out Pakistan stil have a better bowling attack.

Easily. India has very poor bowling attack with 2 new IPL rookie's and Ashwin/Jadeja is not a T20 bowler in 2022. Only Yuzi Chahal and Bhuvi is somewhat trust worthy.

Assuming both Shaheen & Bumrah not playing:

Bhuvi > Naseem
Avesh < Dahani
Arshdeep < Rauf
Chahal > Shadab
Jadeja < Nawaz

Easily. India has very poor bowling attack with 2 new IPL rookie's and Ashwin/Jadeja is not a T20 bowler in 2022. Only Yuzi Chahal and Bhuvi is somewhat trust worthy.

Bhuvi > Naseem
Avesh < Dahani
Arshdeep < Rauf
Chahal > Shadab
Jadeja < Nawaz

Ashwin is also in the squad. Also you forgot star all rounder Hardik Pandya? He tilts this comparison in favour of Indian bowling alone. Although if you have changed your opinion once again regarding Pandya once again then that is fine. :91:

Indian team is better than Pakistan team currently. India should win it. I don't know why do you fans start to rate Pakistan only before their match against India. You guys can be seen making fun of their team and players rest of the time. :rabada2

And what is an IPL rookie? What happened to your claim of world class IPL and giving world class performers to India? They are ready for international cricket, aren't they?:inti

Last edited:
Ashwin is also in the squad. Also you forgot star all rounder Hardik Pandya? He tilts this comparison in favour of Indian bowling alone. Although if you have changed your opinion once again regarding Pandya once again then that is fine. :91:

Indian team is better than Pakistan team currently. India should win it. I don't know why do you fans start to rate Pakistan only before their match against India. You guys can be seen making fun of their team and players rest of the time. :rabada2

And what is an IPL rookie? What happened to your claim of world class IPL and giving world class performers to India? They are ready for international cricket, aren't they?:inti

Brother [MENTION=149054]shamaan[/MENTION] is Pakistani fan and he and I (and everyone that understands cricket) knows that Pakistani bowling attack is better....especially now since Bumrah is out for India.

India's batting is better than Pakistan without a doubt...especially now with KL Rahul back

Brother [MENTION=149054]shamaan[/MENTION] is Pakistani fan and he and I (and everyone that understands cricket) knows that Pakistani bowling attack is better....especially now since Bumrah is out for India.

India's batting is better than Pakistan without a doubt...especially now with KL Rahul back

[MENTION=149054]shamaan[/MENTION] is a pakistani fan. Big deal lol. Many pakistani fans also raise an eyebrow over Bumrah's bowling action. Would you listen to them also? :rabada2 :inti

[MENTION=149054]shamaan[/MENTION] is a pakistani fan. Big deal lol. Many pakistani fans also raise an eyebrow over Bumrah's bowling action. Would you listen to them also? :rabada2 :inti

What a silly post....lol. Many Indian fans also raised doubts over Shaheen's action...they wont agree to it either.

Fact is people are normally honest while reviewing their own players and mostly troll or being dishonest when rating players from other side. So with that context he is correct that Pakistani bowling attack is better than Indian team especially now since Bumrah is not playing :rabada2

:kp

What a silly post....lol. Many Indian fans also raised doubts over Shaheen's action...they wont agree to it either.

Fact is people are normally honest while reviewing their own players and mostly troll or being dishonest when rating players from other side. So with that context he is correct that Pakistani bowling attack is better than Indian team especially now since Bumrah is not playing :rabada2

:kp

That is what I thought about your post when you had to tell me [MENTION=149054]shamaan[/MENTION]'s nationality here lol.

According to you, people are honest while reviewing their own players so in my opinion india has a better bowling attack and are favorites to win against Pakistan in the Asia Cup. Now go and prove me wrong lol. :91: :inti

That is what I thought about your post when you had to tell me [MENTION=149054]shamaan[/MENTION]'s nationality here lol.

According to you, people are honest while reviewing their own players so in my opinion india has a better bowling attack and are favorites to win against Pakistan in the Asia Cup. Now go and prove me wrong lol. :91: :inti

I already did that in above post but you simply choose to ignore. So let me repeat:

Bhuvi > Naseem
Avesh < Dahani
Arshdeep < Rauf
Chahal > Shadab
Jadeja < Nawaz

OR

Bhuvi > Naseem
Ashwin < Dahani
Arshdeep < Rauf
Hardik < Shadab
Jadeja < Nawaz

M.Shami or Siraj should have been playing instead of Avesh since Bumrah is not playing.

Pakistan also has inexperienced attack but likes of Dahani & Naseem Shah are potentially better than Avesh/Arshdeep.

Nawaz is a better spinner in these conditions and in this format than Sir Jadeja

These are the reasons why I think Pakistan has got a better bowling attack.

India's batting is better even though Babar & Rizwan are great talents.

In present form -

Babar > Rohit
Rizwan < KL (potentially)
Fakhar > Kohli
Khusdil < Suryakumar
Not sure who will they play at 5 but whoever it will be < Pant
Not sure who will they play at 6 but whoever it will be < Pandya

My job is to not sit here and prove you are wrong. I am simply giving my analysis.

Take it or leave it ;-)

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone is jumping up and down.....

Q. In Asia Cup, India will play against Pakistan. How much important is this match. What do you think of Team India in Asia Cup?

Sourav Ganguly: I don't see any match as India vs Pakistan. I see it as a tournament. India vs Pakistan is like another match to me. India team is doing well now. I am hopeful about the team. Hope they will play their best at the tournament.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cr...ing-ahead-of-t20-world-cup-1988340-2022-08-15

I honestly do think Pakistan attack is better but that just my opinion and India batting is better than Pakistan.

It was an hours-long and agonising wait for cricket fans in the UAE to get tickets to Asia Cup matches. Many residents were left disappointed as the first batch of tickets for the highly-anticipated India-Pakistan game on August 28 in Dubai was sold out in under two-and-a-half hours after they went on sale.

Organisers will release the next batch of tickets soon, Platinum List said.

"(Tickets for) all other matches remain on sale," the ticketing platform said. "Very few" tickets with rates starting from Dh2,500 were available at the time of filing this report.

Some residents had queued up from as early as 4.30am on Monday, only to be told in the afternoon that ticket sales would begin at 6pm.

Due to an “extremely high demand”, Platinum List set up a first come, first served purchase policy and created separate links for matches in Dubai and Sharjah. This meant fans had to get in an online queue, depending on when they logged in.

A resident, Zafar Mahmoud, said he remained in queue for nearly three hours, only to find out that the first batch of tickets to the India-Pakistan match was sold out.

After queuing up on the website at 6pm, he saw over 7,500 people ahead of him, with an estimated waiting period of over an hour.

"The one-hour waiting period remained the same for the next three hours," he said.

Fans were told to keep the page open as they waited for their turn.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/cricke...india-pakistan-cricket-match-tickets-sold-out

I honestly do think Pakistan attack is better but that just my opinion and India batting is better than Pakistan.

Pakistan bowling attack conceeded 298 against Netherlands today. Do you still think it is better than Indian bowling attack? I don't think Shaheen and Hasan would have let them score these many runs. :inti

New Delhi: India is all set to face Pakistan in the Asia Cup 2022 at the Dubai International Stadium on August 28. India have dominated Pakistan in the few times they have met in the last decade, but Pakistan have hurt India when it mattered the most. They defeated the Men in Blue in the 2017 Champions Trophy and also went on to beat them in the 2021 T20 World Cup in Dubai which kicked India out of the tournament before the semi-finals.

The current Pakistan team is a very good unit and under the able leadership of Babar Azam has done exceptionally well in recent times. Unlike the teams of the past, the team doesn’t collapse under pressure and remains hopeful of a positive result even in difficult situations. India is also one of the best teams going around which makes the coming IND vs PAK match even more worth-watching.

Ahead of the epic encounter, India skipper Rohit Sharma has given a stern warning to Pakistan. Rohit said that the team has not forgotten the loss of the T20 World Cup 2021, adding that a lot of things have changed post the defeat and India is well prepared this time around.

“Asia Cup is happening after a long time, but we played Pakistan last year in Dubai, where obviously the result did not go our way. But the Asia Cup is different now. The team is playing differently and has prepared differently, so a lot of things have changed from then. But for us, we need to assess the conditions, keep in mind the fact that we will be playing in 40-plus degrees. We need to assess all those factors and prepare accordingly,” Rohit said while speaking at an event organised by a leading sportswear brand.

India and Pakistan are likely to face each other three times in the Asia Cup 2022. The teams will clash on August 28 and there is a high possibility that they will clash on September 4 as well, which will see top two teams of Group A facing each other. India, Pakistan are two of the strongest teams in the tournament and thus are likely to face in the final as well.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...g-to-pakistan-ahead-of-epic-encounter-1036949

Sarfaraz Ahmed:

“The first match of any tournament sets the tone of the campaign. Our first game is against India. Definitely, our morale would be higher because when we met the last time, Pakistan defeated India at the same venue. Pakistan knows the condition very well because we have played PSL here and many home series as well. Yes, India have played in IPL here but they don't have that much experience of playing in these conditions"

“It is important for Pakistan to have a fit Shaheen Shah Afridi. If you look at their current team, they have been playing good cricket. But our team, especially in the shortest format, have been playing good"

No Bumrah, No Shaheen

So who wins this game?

Pakistan skipper Babar Azam is undoubtedly one of the best batters in the world on current form. After his ODI debut in 2016, the 27-year-old batter has played 92 matches, scoring 4664 runs and 17 centuries. Babar also has great numbers in Tests and T20Is, scoring 3122 and 2686 runs respectively. Currently, Babar is preparing for the upcoming Asia Cup, where Pakistan will square off against arch-rivals India in their opening game on August 28. As the match is just around the corner, former New Zealand all-rounder Scott Styris called Babar the "number one man going around" and said that a "special delivery" will be needed to dismiss the Pakistan skipper.

"I'm not so sure. I think what you would say is if India could win, any team could say I'll give you 16 Babar Azams and then you're out. They would take it every day of the week. He is that good. He is the number one man going around. Look there's usually what you look to do is to give him a single and get him off strike and bowl the guy at the other end. And I think that's not something new. That's been around for a decade or two, or three decades. So that sort of strategy to Babar Azam, I think he's used to it, and I'm not sure that will work," said Styris on Sports18's daily sports news show 'Sports Over The Top'.

"I think you've almost got to be brave. Be a little bit risky and try that magic delivery that you might be a little afraid to bowl, because if you get it wrong, it can go out of the park because it's going to take a special delivery to get somebody like him out in the form that he's in. He's that good player at the moment and that's perhaps the strategy. As it is, I think I'd probably need a few more hours of studying film to work out any genuine weaknesses that he has, but as it is just you've got to be aggressive and go after it," he added.

Earlier last week, Pakistan faced a body blow after their star pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi was ruled out of Asia Cup due to injury. Mohammad Hasnain has been named as the replacement for Afridi.

India and Pakistan will be squaring off against each other in their opening match of the Asia Cup on August 28 in Dubai.

India will be looking to exact revenge for the loss to Pakistan in T20 World Cup 2021. The victory in Dubai last year was Pakistan's first ever over India in a World Cup encounter.

They are yet to beat India in the 50-over World Cup where the Indians enjoy a 6-0 record over the 'Men in Green'.

NDTV

Pakistan skipper Babar Azam is undoubtedly one of the best batters in the world on current form. After his ODI debut in 2016, the 27-year-old batter has played 92 matches, scoring 4664 runs and 17 centuries. Babar also has great numbers in Tests and T20Is, scoring 3122 and 2686 runs respectively. Currently, Babar is preparing for the upcoming Asia Cup, where Pakistan will square off against arch-rivals India in their opening game on August 28. As the match is just around the corner, former New Zealand all-rounder Scott Styris called Babar the "number one man going around" and said that a "special delivery" will be needed to dismiss the Pakistan skipper.

"I'm not so sure. I think what you would say is if India could win, any team could say I'll give you 16 Babar Azams and then you're out. They would take it every day of the week. He is that good. He is the number one man going around. Look there's usually what you look to do is to give him a single and get him off strike and bowl the guy at the other end. And I think that's not something new. That's been around for a decade or two, or three decades. So that sort of strategy to Babar Azam, I think he's used to it, and I'm not sure that will work," said Styris on Sports18's daily sports news show 'Sports Over The Top'.

"I think you've almost got to be brave. Be a little bit risky and try that magic delivery that you might be a little afraid to bowl, because if you get it wrong, it can go out of the park because it's going to take a special delivery to get somebody like him out in the form that he's in. He's that good player at the moment and that's perhaps the strategy. As it is, I think I'd probably need a few more hours of studying film to work out any genuine weaknesses that he has, but as it is just you've got to be aggressive and go after it," he added.

Earlier last week, Pakistan faced a body blow after their star pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi was ruled out of Asia Cup due to injury. Mohammad Hasnain has been named as the replacement for Afridi.

India and Pakistan will be squaring off against each other in their opening match of the Asia Cup on August 28 in Dubai.

India will be looking to exact revenge for the loss to Pakistan in T20 World Cup 2021. The victory in Dubai last year was Pakistan's first ever over India in a World Cup encounter.

They are yet to beat India in the 50-over World Cup where the Indians enjoy a 6-0 record over the 'Men in Green'.

NDTV

No special delivery is needed to out Babar,
Simply bring in Spinners and his game is over.....

It will be a one sided match.........
It will be Babar vs India...
And i don't think Babar will score against quality Spinners of India....
My pridiction is that Babar will not score more than 20 runs against us( Mark my words)
If India will be batting ist,we will beat Pakistan by more than 100 runs..
If we are chasing then we will beat Pakistan by allmost 7 or 08 wickets.

Asia Cup: No variation in Pakistan's bowling line-up in Shaheen Afridi's absence, says Wasim Akram

Asia Cup 2022: Legendary fast bowler Wasim Akram said Pakistan will miss the ability of Shaheen Afridi to pick up early wickets as the left-arm pacer is unavailable for the continental tournament due to a knee injury.

Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram said on Tuesday, August 23 that Shaheen Afridi's absence is a big setback for Babar Azam-led Pakistan team at the Asia Cup, starting August 27 in the UAE. Shaheen was ruled out of the continental tournament after he picked up a knee injury earlier this year.

Shaheen Afridi has been integral to Pakistan's success in T20I cricket. The left-arm pacer set the tone for Pakistan in the T20 World Cup last year, by rattling India's top order in their high-octane opener.

Speaking to Star Sports in the lead-up to Asia Cup, Wasim Akram said Shaheen's absence will deprive Pakistan of variety in their bowling attack due to the lack of a left-arm fast bowler in their squad.

The Pakistan Cricket Board, earlier this week, named right-arm pacer Mohammad Hasnain as Shaheen's replacement for Asia Cup. Notably, Shaheen is facing a race against time to get fit for the T20 World Cup, starting October 16 in Australia.

"Shaheen Afridi will be missed a lot. He is important because of the new ball. In this format, if you have to restrict the opposition by taking early wickets and that is what the does. He attacks the stumps in all formats.

"There was criticism when he did not take a break but he is only 22. He has got a knee injury which takes time to heal and you always fear that it might come back. He is one of the world's top three bowlers so a big setback for Pakistan.

"There is still pace in the bowling department but there is no variation (in the absence of Shaheen's left arm pace). They all are right handers," Akram said.

BABAR LEARNING VERY FAST
Furthermore, Akram said it's only natural that Babar Azam is being compared to Virat Kohli but stressed that the Pakistan captain has a long way to go if he is to earn the reputation of being one of the modern-day greats.

While Kohli has been going through a lean patch across all formats since the start of 2020, Babar has been in fine form, nearing his dream of becoming the No. 1 batter across all formats.

"The comparisons are only natural. When we played people used to compare Inzamam, Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar. Before that it was Sunil Gavaskar Javed Miandad, G Vishwanath and Zaheer Abbas," Akram said.

"Babar has been very consistent, because he has got the right technique. He is very hungry and very fit. He is still a young captain but is learning very fast. However, comparisons with Virat it is too early.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/asia-cup-2022/story/wasim-akram-shaheen-afridi-absence-asia-cup-india-vs-pakistan-babar-azam-1991819-2022-08-24

Last edited:
Even Wasim Akram thinks that taking early wickets in this format is important to restrict the opposition and this is what Shaheen did against India in the last WC also. India set a very low target and you don't need bowlers who can bowl well at the death when you are defending a low total. You need wickets upfront. :inti

It will be a one sided match.........
It will be Babar vs India...
And i don't think Babar will score against quality Spinners of India....
My pridiction is that Babar will not score more than 20 runs against us( Mark my words)
If India will be batting ist,we will beat Pakistan by more than 100 runs..
If we are chasing then we will beat Pakistan by allmost 7 or 08 wickets.

Bhai, how will be traffic on NJ-23 on Sunday at 10 AM? Thanks.

DUBAI - India's Virat Kohli has the chance to find form before the World Cup while Babar Azam will look to keep Pakistan's psychological edge when the rival countries clash as the headline acts of the Asia Cup starting this weekend.

Cricket giants India and Pakistan could square up three times during the two weeks of the T20 competition in the United Arab Emirates.

The six-nation tournament was moved from Sri Lanka because of political unrest and it takes on extra significance this year because the T20 World Cup in Australia is coming up fast, in October and November.

Sri Lanka meet Afghanistan in Saturday's opening match but all eyes will be on India and Pakistan, who clash in Dubai on Sunday.

India will be looking to avenge their 10-wicket humiliation by Pakistan at the same venue in last year's T20 World Cup, and skipper Rohit Sharma is trying to keep his players level-headed as the expectation and excitement among fans hits fever pitch.

"Everyone watches the game and it's a high-pressure game without a doubt, but within the group we want to create a normal atmosphere," he told Star Sports.

"We don't want to hype this game too much. It's important to tell the players who haven't played against Pakistan or played them just one or two times that it's just another opposition."

India head coach Rahul Dravid has Covid and India late on Wednesday appointed former batsman VVS Laxman to take charge in an interim capacity.

SHAHEEN INJURED

The match will be Kohli's 100th T20 international and a chance for the batting great to emerge from his prolonged slump before the World Cup.

The 33-year-old has not scored a century in any format since 2019 but should be refreshed after being rested for tours of the West Indies and Zimbabwe.

Kohli, who has 27 centuries in 102 Tests, was replaced by Rohit as all-format skipper earlier this year.

Pakistan's fortunes will mainly depend on in-form skipper Azam, fresh from two big half-centuries in his team's 3-0 ODI sweep of the Netherlands.

Azam, 27, tops the world T20 and ODI batting rankings and led his team to victory last year against India with an unbeaten 68.

Pakistan have brought in pace bowler Mohammad Hasnain in place of Shaheen Shah Afridi, India's T20 destroyer last year, who has been forced out by a knee injury.

Defending champions India, who won the last Asia Cup in 2018 when it was played over 50 overs, and Pakistan will be joined in Group A by Hong Kong who defeated the UAE in the final qualifier on Wednesday.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Afghanistan are in Group B.

The top two teams from each group progress to a Super 4 stage, which could witness another contest between India and Pakistan.

The great rivals could then meet for a third time should they both reach the September 11 final.

Sri Lanka, led by Dasun Shanaka, could be the India-Pakistan party-poopers.

They are capable of reaching the final, having enjoyed success in recent home series against a backdrop of a dire economic crisis.

Victory would bring some welcome cheer to the cricket-crazy island nation ravaged in recent months by food and fuel shortages and rolling blackouts.

Afghanistan have the ability to upset any side, their ace being leg-spinner Rashid Khan, one of the world's leading T20 bowlers who can exploit and turn in the subcontinent-like UAE pitches.

Bangladesh have been boosted by the return of all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan to lead the team, who said his priority was to see an improvement in performances of the struggling side with the World Cup fast approaching.

AFP

The side which bowls first will win. The toss is going to be all important.

The side batting first will have to face the dew when they bowl.

India exited from the last T20I WC only because they lost both tosses against Pakistan and New Zealand.

Mohammad Wasim Jnr has complained of back pain while bowling and has been sent to the hospital for MRI.

This could be a problem for Pakistan.

Can't wait for the match. Nothing quenches my thirst better than an India vs Pakistan match. And I say that as a hater of the T20 format :D

I guess that's the only way Dahani gets to play in the India match. Or perhaps they will still play an injured Wasim Jr.

Pakistan has ONLY ONE batsman.
India has an army of them.

There is no contest here.

It will only be a miracle if Pak wins.

That's not even what i'm worried about. I'm looking at how inexperienced the Pakistan pace trio is and wondering how they are going to handle the pressure of 200 million people back home.

If we play Rauf, Naseem and Dhani then they have a total of 37 t20i's between them. 35 of which come from Rauf who wasn't even a professional cricketer until last week.

India will be aware of that and they will play on it. All 3 are going to face a pummeling beyond what Babar can save us from.

Pakistan should bowl first they have inexperienced attack compared to the batters.

Shaheen is a huge loss for Pakistan. The leader of the attack and someone who could have blown away the Indian top order.

Mohammad Wasim Jnr has complained of back pain while bowling and has been sent to the hospital for MRI.

This could be a problem for Pakistan.

Dahani surely then.

Rauf Naseem Waseem was anyway a bit one dimensional. All 3 skiddy.
Dahani gives a bit of variety.

Babar
Rizwan
Fakhar
Haider
Ifti
Khushdil
Nawaz
Shadab
Naseem
Rouf
Dahani

Give Haider a chance and I wouldn't pick both of Khushdil and Asif.

As per PCB:

Further decisions on Mohammad Wasim Jr's fitness for the India v Pak game will be decided once the MRI report is received this evening

Rishabh Pant, Ravindra Jadeja Tonk The Ball In Nets Ahead Of Asia Cup....

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/qmb4fw" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

India's KL Rahul said on Friday his team is looking forward to playing Pakistan in a high-stakes Asia Cup clash this weekend with the arch-rivals only meeting each other in multi-nation events due to political issues between them.

The neighbours have not played a Test since 2007, instead facing off only in the shorter versions of the game and at multi-team competitions on foreign soil, rather than head-to-head series at home.

The T20 tournament begins on Saturday in the United Arab Emirates but fans await the blockbuster clash between India and Pakistan a day later.

"We are all very excited. As players we always look forward to this India-Pak clash as we don't play each other anywhere else but these big tournaments," Rahul told reporters.

"As we've seen there is a huge history, there has always been rivalry and the games have always been high intensity. As players we have always dreamt of playing India-Pakistan and it's a great opportunity for all of us to challenge ourselves."

Matches ignite great fervour but they have also defused military tensions between the two nations, which have fought four wars since independence from Britain in 1947.

Recently pictures and videos of Pakistan skipper Babar Azam and India superstar Virat Kohli meeting on the sidelines of a practice session in Dubai went viral.

"We can't run away from the rivalry and emotion that comes through as a player," Rahul said.

"After the game or before, everything goes away you become normal people, learn from each other, share experiences, it's always been friendly."

An India-Pakistan match is always a big draw among cricket fans with millions expected to watch the match across the globe.

Pakistan outplayed India by 10 wickets in their previous meeting to bring the house down at the T20 World Cup match in Dubai last year.

"Losing any game in a World Cup always hurts a little bit," said India's vice-captain.

"We were outplayed by a really strong Pakistan team, so we once again get an opportunity against them.

"There might be a history of how many times we have played, how many times each team has won (but) it doesn't count for anything, it will always start from zero."

No Shaheen

Rahul recently led India to a 3-0 one-day international sweep of Zimbabwe - in the absence of regular skipper Rohit Sharma - after returning from a long injury lay-off.

Last year, Rahul was bowled for three by Pakistan pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi who led his team's demolition of India's batting.

Shaheen, however, will miss the Asia Cup due to a knee injury which is a boost to India's prospects.

"We've seen Shaheen Afridi, how he's performed over the last two years. He's a world class bowler, a quality bowler," said Rahul.

"Left-arm fast bowlers right now in world cricket are the most dangerous, they're causing most trouble for the batters.

"So if he played, it would've been a good experience to challenge ourselves against a quality bowler."

Rahul downplayed Kohli's extended slump in form, saying the team is "not worried" and the star batsman will soon be back to his high standards of batting.

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricke...eting-in-asia-cup-exciting-for-rahul-20220826

My 11

Babar
Rizwan
Fakhar
Haider ali
Shadab
Kuhdil shah
Asif ali
Nawaz
Harris rauf
Usman qadir
Naseem shah

That's the team I would go with.

Same, but with Hasan Ali back management will probably pick him over Dahani 😕

(Edit) Or they could go Naseem instead which I wouldn’t mind either.

Last edited:
I think

India after 6 overs 72/0 flying start

Pakistan after 6 overs 38/2 slow start

Babar captaincy will be tested

India will win. Cause it's revenge time for last year...

And then we lose the game in Melbourne later this year, cause you know.. That'll actually be worth something.

Shadab Khan presser:

"Virat Kohli is a legend. His performances are still good, but he has set such high standards that people feel that he is not performing. I hope he gets back to form and scores a century, but not against us"

"We will miss Shaheen and Mohammed Wasim. They are terrific players. But the beauty of cricket is that it is a team game, not an individual game. We will start afresh as this is a new match. What has happened is history now. We would like to perform the same way as we did. Definitely, we have a good team, but it is not a champion team. We don’t worry about the result, we focus on the game."

The BCCI posted the series of images in an interesting order as many felt that they might have revealed the playing XI and batting order for a high-octane Pakistan encounter.

The 10-image post started with a photo of KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma together, followed by Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Rishabh Pant, Dinesh Karthik, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Avesh Khan and Arshdeep Singh.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...ir-playing-xi-for-pakistan-clash-5828251.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back